Falconsfan567

2019-2020 Atlanta Braves Offseason Thread

477 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Nope. Fully believed AA forced Snit to go with Keuchel as the #1 in the playoffs.

Would you say that be the case with leaving Teheran off the roster and going with say...Luke Jackson?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Malachore said:

That's pitcher production from your catcher's spot.

Yes, it would be downright horrendous offensively when Jackson is in the lineup. But I'm just trying to think about things. Braves aren't gonna have $150M or higher payroll. They're gonna have to be cheap somewhere and I'm fine with them being cheap at catcher and rolling with Cervelli and Jackson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, E. T. said:

Would you say that be the case with leaving Teheran off the roster and going with say...Luke Jackson?

Teheran was left off the roster because he had nothing left in the tank. We saw that the 1 inning he pitched against the Cardinals. Cardinals were all over him. They went with Jackson because they didn't have any other good options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VoiceofReason95 said:

Like, you had DOB say that "sinkerballers don't like the Suntrust Park mound". That is very very close to saying "Mike Soroka" without saying it.

 

There's a common sense element to this. We have MUCH bigger problems if Mike Soroka doesn't want to pitch at Suntrust.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Teheran was left off the roster because he had nothing left in the tank.

 

I'm genuinely worried about his health.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snitker was asked if Newk would be a rotation arm next year. He just said they have all winter and Spring to think about that. He said they'll have Newk ready for anything but hes an option for either role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Looked fine yesterday. 

His average fastball velocity was 91.4 at the start of July but wound up at 89.9. That means he was averaging about 87 down the stretch. Something's up. 

Edit: Although I'll add that in looking at the Fangraphs chart, I don't see anything abnormal there. He had a couple of games where he was down, but he's had that before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jidady said:

His average fastball velocity was 91.4 at the start of July but wound up at 89.9. That means he was averaging about 87 down the stretch. Something's up. 

His fastball velocity has been an ongoing issue and is usually the difference in how effective he is. I dont know if its rest, injury or what but his inconsistent fastball velocity has been a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Unknøwn said:

His fastball velocity has been an ongoing issue and is usually the difference in how effective he is. I dont know if its rest, injury or what but his inconsistent fastball velocity has been a problem.

I edited that post after looking at more info and said the same thing. I do wonder if he's had gradual fraying of his rotator cuff and finally needs surgery. He's been remarkably healthy throughout his time as a Brave. It may just be a mileage issue. Between the minors and majors, he's 1,900 innings into his professional career. Even the most durable arms like Wainwright eventually had to get surgery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is my offseason Braves wish list! ( In order of importance)

1.) Resign Donaldson he’s going to ask for multiple years! But I think we can outbid the Yankees, Angels,  and other big spenders because he will naturally want to stay here and would likely take less money to do so if it’s at least a 3 year deal!

2.) Sign a top notch starting pitcher Free Agent! Both Dallas and Tehran will be gone! Dallas K pitched himself right out of the ATL he will not be offered a deal to stay, unless he is willing to take a 1 year /cheap! Tehran will be allowed to walk and test free agency! The free Agent starter the Braves sign will pair with Fried and Soroka to make up the Big Three!

3.) Should constantly look for upgrades in catcher, outfield, bullpen and the bench! I except at least a few surprise signings in these areas!

Overall the nucleus of our team will remain the same! With a few key upgrades the Braves should return in 20 even stronger!

Oh yeah Snit needs to change his pitching signs immediately! I’m sure the Cardinals were stealing signs thoughout the series!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Yes, it would be downright horrendous offensively when Jackson is in the lineup. But I'm just trying to think about things. Braves aren't gonna have $150M or higher payroll. They're gonna have to be cheap somewhere and I'm fine with them being cheap at catcher and rolling with Cervelli and Jackson.

We have all these young contracts. I don't see why they can't afford JD, Grandal and someone like Bumgarner or Wheeler.

Also wouldn't be surprised if they call up Oakland and try to get Matt Chapman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jidady said:

There's a common sense element to this. We have MUCH bigger problems if Mike Soroka doesn't want to pitch at Suntrust.

How many times has DOB said something completely outrageous like this that doesn't make one lick of sense?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Malachore said:

We have all these young contracts. I don't see why they can't afford JD, Grandal and someone like Bumgarner or Wheeler.

Also wouldn't be surprised if they call up Oakland and try to get Matt Chapman.

They certainly could, but question is, would they do it? More than likely not. Braves payroll didn't reach the $130M this year until they made the in-season moves to get Greene, Martin, and Melancon.

Like I said, there's only about $50M accounted for for 2020 if we assume the team options for Teheran, Flowers, Markakis, and Hamilton are all declined as they should be. MLBTR is pretty good at nailing down arbitration numbers. Here's what they've got for the Braves.

Braves (9)

  • Shane Greene – $6.5MM
  • Mike Foltynewicz – $7.5MM
  • Charlie Culberson – $1.8MM
  • Adam Duvall – $3.8MM
  • John Ryan Murphy – $1.2MM
  • Dansby Swanson – $3.3MM
  • Luke Jackson – $1.9MM
  • Grant Dayton – $800K
  • Johan Camargo – $1.6MM

 

That adds up to $28.4M, so let's round that up to $30. So $50 plus $30 leaves us at $80M committed for 2020. last year the Braves kept $10-15M in reserve for aforementioned in-season moves that added payroll. So let's assume the Braves want to keep no less than $10M in reserve for 2020. That gets us to $90M. Assuming we're operating with a cap of $130M, that would leave us with around $40M to spend in free agency.

Josh Donaldson seems to really love playing for the Braves and seems like the total team player kind of guy that would take a pay cut to stay with the Braves. I'm thinking he would accept something in the neighborhood of 3 years and $55-60M. Depending on how it's structured we could afford to add another massive contract like a Gerrit Cole at around a $18-20M per year deal.

The only way I see the Braves signing someone like Grandal is if he takes less to come here than he got on the 1-year deal he played for in 2019 with the Brewers.

oztin and Malachore like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Malachore said:

We have all these young contracts. I don't see why they can't afford JD, Grandal and someone like Bumgarner or Wheeler.

Also wouldn't be surprised if they call up Oakland and try to get Matt Chapman.

JD, Grandal, and Wheeler would make me happy. Still, Cole is my top choice even though I doubt it happens. 

Malachore likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

They certainly could, but question is, would they do it? More than likely not. Braves payroll didn't reach the $130M this year until they made the in-season moves to get Greene, Martin, and Melancon.

Like I said, there's only about $50M accounted for for 2020 if we assume the team options for Teheran, Flowers, Markakis, and Hamilton are all declined as they should be. MLBTR is pretty good at nailing down arbitration numbers. Here's what they've got for the Braves.

Braves (9)

  • Shane Greene – $6.5MM
  • Mike Foltynewicz – $7.5MM
  • Charlie Culberson – $1.8MM
  • Adam Duvall – $3.8MM
  • John Ryan Murphy – $1.2MM
  • Dansby Swanson – $3.3MM
  • Luke Jackson – $1.9MM
  • Grant Dayton – $800K
  • Johan Camargo – $1.6MM

 

That adds up to $28.4M, so let's round that up to $30. So $50 plus $30 leaves us at $80M committed for 2020. last year the Braves kept $10-15M in reserve for aforementioned in-season moves that added payroll. So let's assume the Braves want to keep no less than $10M in reserve for 2020. That gets us to $90M. Assuming we're operating with a cap of $130M, that would leave us with around $40M to spend in free agency.

Josh Donaldson seems to really love playing for the Braves and seems like the total team player kind of guy that would take a pay cut to stay with the Braves. I'm thinking he would accept something in the neighborhood of 3 years and $55-60M. Depending on how it's structured we could afford to add another massive contract like a Gerrit Cole at around a $18-20M per year deal.

The only way I see the Braves signing someone like Grandal is if he takes less to come here than he got on the 1-year deal he played for in 2019 with the Brewers.

JD, Cole, and Grandal and we are right in the mix again next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tl;dr said:

JD, Cole, and Grandal and we are right in the mix again next year.

Absolutely would love to see it but I won't hold my breath. I'm fully prepared that we sign someone like Cole Hamels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grandal is the best catcher on the market. However, in his playoff career he is downright terrible. Hes batted 78 times in October. Hes a lifetime .115 hitter in postseason play. He has 9 hits in 33 games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Absolutely would love to see it but I won't hold my breath. I'm fully prepared that we sign someone like Cole Hamels.

Someone who was good like 5 years ago? Yeah let's bank on signing him along with keeping Markakis. Seems about right for us

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Grandal is the best catcher on the market. However, in his playoff career he is downright terrible. Hes batted 78 times in October. Hes a lifetime .115 hitter in postseason play. He has 9 hits in 33 games. 

He'll fit right in 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Someone who was good like 5 years ago? Yeah let's bank on signing him along with keeping Markakis. Seems about right for us

Just telling you what I expect to happen. Being extremely realistic with it. I won't get my hopes up that we'll sign the best starter to hit the market in years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another realistic option is Jake Odorizzi. We know how into the advanced stats AA is and Odorizzi profiles as a guy who could really excel moving to the NL and getting away from the DH. The other thing Odorizzi has going for him is his durability, same reason I mentioned Hamels. Odorizzi made at least 28 starts in each of the last 6 seasons. Whoever the Braves sign will be someone who has a track record of taking the ball every 5th day. It's why I don't think Zack Wheeler is a legit option. He's just hurt too much. Last thing the Braves need is another major question mark in the rotation.

tl;dr likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the catchers market it really is Grandal or bust. It's so thin this winter and I cant even think of any notable trade target that's realistically available. If not Grandal we should just look around for a defensive ace back there and sacrifice the offense to manage the staff and shutdown the run game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Just telling you what I expect to happen. Being extremely realistic with it. I won't get my hopes up that we'll sign the best starter to hit the market in years.

Nope I'm agreeing with you lol. That's such a Braves move to sign someone who was good 5 years ago 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now