Falconsfan567

2019-2020 Atlanta Braves Offseason Thread

881 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Hypothetical Trade On MLBN:

Braves get: Kris Bryant

Cubs gets: Fried, Water, Wilson and Contreras

That sounds like a ton and I'm not big on prospects. 

That's too much. Plus the possibility of Bryant winning his grievance makes it way too much. Bryant wins that grievance and you get him for 1 year.

13 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Cubs gets: Fried, Water, Wilson and Contreras

NO!

TheTrue7 and Falconsfan567 like this

1 hour ago, Unknøwn said:

That's too much. Plus the possibility of Bryant winning his grievance makes it way too much. Bryant wins that grievance and you get him for 1 year.

I feel like that should get Bryant and Contreras. 

2 hours ago, Malachore said:

Cubs gets: Fried, Waters, Wilson and Contreras

Take two of those names on the Cubs list, put them together, and move them up to our and then it would make sense.

5 minutes ago, ATLBrave said:

Take two of those names on the Cubs list, put them together, and move them up to our and then it would make sense.

Haha yeah that's what I said.

ATLBrave likes this

There's no way that Kris Bryant costs all of that. I might try something like Wilson, Ender, Riley, plus one more from 11-20 and try to get him and Caratini. I'd even settle for him over where I think C might be going.

1 hour ago, Malachore said:

I feel like that should get Bryant and Contreras. 

It'd be hilarious if we traded Contreras brothers with the Cubs.

12 hours ago, K26dp said:

The $19M is the amount that counts when calculating for revenue sharing purposes, it has a pro-rated figure for his signing bonus.

In reality, SFG played that in entirety already. But for Braves budgeting purposes, his figure is $14M.

Alright. Cool

3 hours ago, Malachore said:

Cubs gets: Fried, Waters, Wilson and Contreras

That is a dramatic overpay!! You couldn't break my arm and make me do that deal.

Braves president Mike Plant was on a Liberty Media stream to investors. He told them the Braves are set up to win now and that "they're going for it." He added the plan is to compliment the core youth with key veteran acquisitions this winter. Plant mentioned the Battery has been a great revenue boost because it gets fans to the park early and they stay long after the final out. Plant said they average a 21% increase in overall revenue each year. He added 9% in paid attendance average increase, 25% in sponsorships, 22% in gate receipts and 44% in TV. Plant said they know and plan around the fact that a good team will keep those numbers rising.

1 hour ago, Unknøwn said:

Braves president Mike Plant was on a Liberty Media stream to investors. He told them the Braves are set up to win now and that "they're going for it." He added the plan is to compliment the core youth with key veteran acquisitions this winter. Plant mentioned the Battery has been a great revenue boost because it gets fans to the park early and they stay long after the final out. Plant said they average a 21% increase in overall revenue each year. He added 9% in paid attendance average increase, 25% in sponsorships, 22% in gate receipts and 44% in TV. Plant said they know and plan around the fact that a good team will keep those numbers rising.

I'll believe it when ink is dry on contracts to big name players.

youngbloodz likes this

1 hour ago, Ransack said:

I'll believe it when ink is dry on contracts to big name players.

The way that corporate bottom lines work, I absolutely believe it. Liberty won't spend a dime on us, but we've found a way to earn the revenue ourselves. They'll happily allow us to increase the value of their asset as long as no additional funding is required of them.

K26dp likes this

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/

This isn’t gospel by any means but view surplus value like you view NFL draft pick assigned numerical value. Gives you a good ballpark.

I post this because some are stuck in the old ways of “not being big on prospects.” Prospect scouting has come a long way and position player development has as well. Did you watch Acuna, Soto, Torres, Bellinger, and Alvarez in the playoffs? Prospects don’t have to get on their level to have immense value. Every position that is cheap and controlled even if not a star gives the team that much more flexibility. You don’t want to cap out like the Red Sox or Cubs have where money and prospects are spent. The Cubs outlook would be quite different if Torres and Jimenez were around. 

2 hours ago, Akod2017 said:

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/

This isn’t gospel by any means but view surplus value like you view NFL draft pick assigned numerical value. Gives you a good ballpark.

I post this because some are stuck in the old ways of “not being big on prospects.” Prospect scouting has come a long way and position player development has as well. Did you watch Acuna, Soto, Torres, Bellinger, and Alvarez in the playoffs? Prospects don’t have to get on their level to have immense value. Every position that is cheap and controlled even if not a star gives the team that much more flexibility. You don’t want to cap out like the Red Sox or Cubs have where money and prospects are spent. The Cubs outlook would be quite different if Torres and Jimenez were around. 

They'd not have a 2016 Worlds Series if they were still in Chicago.

5 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Figured someone would go here. I’m a big fan of what the Astros have done. Making deals that do not involve their top prospects. Instead Theo sells Torres at his lowest value coming off an injury.

Jimenez and Cease were traded the following year. Quintana obviously wasn’t worth it.

Just now, Akod2017 said:

Figured someone would go here. I’m a big fan of what the Astros have done. Making deals that do not involve their top prospects. Instead Theo sells Torres at his lowest value coming off an injury.

Jimenez and Cease were traded the following year. Quintana obviously wasn’t worth it.

I get what you are saying but I went there because it's a pretty accurate assumption.

I do agree with you about Quintana. Some trades like I mentioned are perfectly acceptable and likely needed to get over the hump, just not going crazy with them.

1 hour ago, Malachore said:

Chapman nearly blew the 2016 WS for the Cubs. 

It just makes sense to splurge on JD than sell prospects to buy a guy making 20 mil and 2 years (maybe 1) of control. You get solid defense along with the bat AND equally injury prone!