Falconsfan567

2019-2020 Atlanta Braves Offseason Thread

838 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Giants writer in the Bay Area saying the Braves have made Bumgarner a top priority this winter. He says they kicked the tires in July and would be a favorite due to their proximity to Bumgarner's NC home. His sources say the Braves plan is to get Bumgarner early.

Oh joy!!! Let's sign a guy that has missed significant time in 2 of the last 3 seasons and the one season he didn't miss time in he posted a 3.90 ERA and a 3.90 FIP. In the last 3 seasons combined his FIP is 3.94. Sorry but signing a guy who's been pitching like a 4 ERA guy the last 3 seasons just doesn't excite me. But fully expect the Braves to sign him and act like they just signed the World Series MVP version of Madbum because that's just a Braves thing to do.

EDIT:

More proof that Bumgarner is JAG at this point in his career.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nearly a full run higher ERA on the road in his career. In 2019 his home/road splits were dramatically awful. 2.93 ERA at home and 5.29 on the road. But Braves gonna give up a draft pick to sign him.

Seriously, the Braves are entertaining replacing Julio Teheran with another Julio Teheran for roughly the same AAV if not more. Let that sink in for a moment!! That's the Braves plan for "winning" a World Series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They might end up signing him, but I'm not going to trust that a beat writer from across the country is going to have better "sources" than any local guy. Not to mention **** about Atlanta rarely gets out. Chalk this up to pure speculation/industry-think at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean I'd rather pay Bumgarner than rely on 3 rookie/2nd year guys to fill out a rotation.

I'd obviously rather an actual TOR guy though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The hope is Bumgarner would have a Verlander type resurgence when put on a legit contender. We also are not looking for an ace. We have Soroka and Fried at the top. We need a veteran innings eater to replace Julio. Helps that Bumgarner is one of the greatest pitcher in the history of October.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

The hope is Bumgarner would have a Verlander type resurgence when put on a legit contender. We also are not looking for an ace. We have Soroka and Fried at the top. We need a veteran innings eater to replace Julio. Helps that Bumgarner is one of the greatest pitcher in the history of October.

Don't think it wise to trust Fried as a #2.

I'm hearing Kris Bryant rumors again but not sure if Braves are involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m a Giants fan. And I hope the Braves get MadBum. He’s clutch. Ignore the ERA. He plays great when it matters. I’ve watched him be apart of 3 championships in 5 years. Y’all won’t be disappointed. You just need to make the playoffs. He’ll do the rest 

Passprotection likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Don't think it wise to trust Fried as a #2.

I'm hearing Kris Bryant rumors again but not sure if Braves are involved.

A Cubs fan blog proposed a Bryant for Fried and Wilson trade. That's where those come from.

Malachore likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, ATLBrave said:

They might end up signing him, but I'm not going to trust that a beat writer from across the country is going to have better "sources" than any local guy. Not to mention **** about Atlanta rarely gets out. Chalk this up to pure speculation/industry-think at this point.

I thought about that. It could be agents feeding the SF guy to heat up his market. He would obviously be more connected to the Bumgarner end of things

ATLBrave likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

A Cubs fan blog proposed a Bryant for Fried and Wilson trade. That's where those come from.

Makes sense, I hear they want to shake things up and get some young controllable pitching.

What you think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

The hope is Bumgarner would have a Verlander type resurgence when put on a legit contender. We also are not looking for an ace. We have Soroka and Fried at the top. We need a veteran innings eater to replace Julio. Helps that Bumgarner is one of the greatest pitcher in the history of October.

The only way that happens is if Bumgarner all of a sudden remembers how to throw 95 mph again!! That is one of the reasons Verlander had his "resurgence." Verlander's velocity dipped at the end of his time in Detroit and then he goes to Houston and all of a sudden he's back to 97 mph plus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Makes sense, I hear they want to shake things up and get some young controllable pitching.

What you think?

Depends on his grievance to me. If he wins you only control him for 2 years. I still believe Fried can be a dominant pitcher in this league. I'd use Wilson as a trade chip though.

Malachore likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Makes sense, I hear they want to shake things up and get some young controllable pitching.

What you think?

As much as I love Max Fried, I'd do Wilson and Fried for Bryant in a heartbeat and not think twice. Re-sign Donaldson and all of a sudden we're looking at a much different looking offense.

  • C - Tyler Flowers/???
  • 1B - Freddie Freeman
  • 2B - Ozzie Albies
  • 3B - Josh Donaldson
  • SS - Dansby Swasnon (Healthy Dansby is legit. Just needs to stay healthy.)
  • LF - Kris Bryant
  • CF - Ender Inciarte
  • RF - Ronald Acuna

HeIl yes, this gets my stamp of approval!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

As much as I love Max Fried, I'd do Wilson and Fried for Bryant in a heartbeat and not think twice. Re-sign Donaldson and all of a sudden we're looking at a much different looking offense.

  • C - Tyler Flowers/???
  • 1B - Freddie Freeman
  • 2B - Ozzie Albies
  • 3B - Josh Donaldson
  • SS - Dansby Swasnon (Healthy Dansby is legit. Just needs to stay healthy.)
  • LF - Kris Bryant
  • CF - Ender Inciarte
  • RF - Ronald Acuna

HeIl yes, this gets my stamp of approval!!!

I always forget Bryant can play OF, 3rd and 1st.

**** now you got my hopes up. :lol:

Falconsfan567 and oztin like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Depends on his grievance to me. If he wins you only control him for 2 years. I still believe Fried can be a dominant pitcher in this league. I'd use Wilson as a trade chip though.

He certainly shows flashes and that's what you look for out of young players. As much as I say I don't trust him it still take a guy like Bryant for me to be ok with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

But fully expect the Braves to sign him and act like they just signed the World Series MVP version of Madbum because that's just a Braves thing to do.

 

 

Even more than that, it’s an Atlanta thing to do - sign a big name player when their best years are clearly behind them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Skott Lee said:

Even more than that, it’s an Atlanta thing to do - sign a big name player when their best years are clearly behind them. 

Braves haven't done that under AA though.

As much **** as I give him he's been pretty spot on with his FA acquisitions. 

TheTrue7 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Unknøwn said:

The hope is Bumgarner would have a Verlander type resurgence when put on a legit contender. We also are not looking for an ace. We have Soroka and Fried at the top. We need a veteran innings eater to replace Julio. Helps that Bumgarner is one of the greatest pitcher in the history of October.

Braves are not legit contenders yet. Two division championships and two first round playoff exits. Legit pretenders. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tony Clark is freaking out over Anthopolous saying he talked to other GMs about their plans. All AA was saying is he was doing his due diligence to see what might be available on the trade market. Clark is throwing a tantrum.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Tony Clark is freaking out over Anthopolous saying he talked to other GMs about their plans. All AA was saying is he was doing his due diligence to see what might be available on the trade market. Clark is throwing a tantrum.

 

All about the players getting theirs, but this is beyond ******* ridiculous. 

Malachore likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t know if it’s allowed but could Clark have called AA for clarity before saying any thing. I can see the GM’s and owners making things harder for players to get theirs if this type of stuff keeps happening. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going to circle back to my last 2 years and ask people what they think about Moustakas as an option at 3rd if JD wants too much?

Moustakas and Ozuna would appear to be the better way to spend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now