Falconsfan567

2019-2020 Atlanta Braves Offseason Thread

961 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, usmcdirtybird said:

I would love to go after Trey Mancini in Baltimore.  I wonder what it would take.    

There's no DH in the NL.

We can get excited about the moves the Braves could make, but they’ll just keep Flowers and Markakis then sign like Homer Bailey. They will be like “we think we could have done better if Kakes had been healthier and we really like how Flowers ended the season. Homer Bailey is going to be a good arm for us.”

Malachore likes this

41 minutes ago, Dawggone said:

So our budget  for entering next season will be 140???

That's what the talk was last winter. CEO Terry McGuirk said it would continue to be raised to above $140M as they see increased revenue from SunTrust continue to build. DOB said in August he had heard the Braves would have significantly more to spend this winter than they did last winter. McGuirk's plan was to be at $140M or more for this winter. Of course Donaldson will be the primary focus of that early on. I'd also be shocked if we didnt throw some money at Bumgarner.

capologist likes this

16 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

I'd also be shocked if we didnt throw some money at Bumgarner.

I don't see Bumgarner as someone this FO would necessarily heavily peruse. 

On 11/1/2019 at 7:12 AM, Unknøwn said:

That's what the talk was last winter. CEO Terry McGuirk said it would continue to be raised to above $140M as they see increased revenue from SunTrust continue to build. DOB said in August he had heard the Braves would have significantly more to spend this winter than they did last winter. McGuirk's plan was to be at $140M or more for this winter. Of course Donaldson will be the primary focus of that early on. I'd also be shocked if we didnt throw some money at Bumgarner.

We were told "shop on any aisle" last winter.

I don't believe a word they say.

Falconsfan567 likes this

Braves will have to decide on the options for Julio, Markakis and Flowers tomorrow. Free agency officially begins tomorrow.

On 11/2/2019 at 3:54 PM, Malachore said:

We were told "shop on any aisle" last winter.

I don't believe a word they say.

They gave out a $23 million contract last season. That's what they were talking about. It didn't mean they could sign everybody.

7 minutes ago, K26dp said:

They gave out a $23 million contract last season. That's what they were talking about. It didn't mean they could sign everybody.

That was pretty much all too, until July.

The payroll was lower than the year prior for 85% of the season and still didn't end up where they lead us to believe. 

Braves declined the option on Tyler Flowers and then signed him to a 1 year $4M deal. His option was for $6M with a $2M buyout. He still gets his $6M with the buyout but the Braves free up an additional $2M on the 2020 payroll by basically restructuring. 

11 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Please sweet baby Jesus do not allow the Braves to pick up Julio or Nick's option. 

I don't think "picking up" the option is on the table--more like declining and re-signing to a lower number if they do come back at all.

Yep, from what we're hearing the Braves are negotiating with Nick and Julio. They want them to return but only at a reduced price.

1 hour ago, Unknøwn said:

Yep, from what we're hearing the Braves are negotiating with Nick and Julio. They want them to return but only at a reduced price.

Sigh... 

Markakis got the Flowers treatment. Option declined, signed for 1 year $4M. Braves keep both and gain $4M towards 2020 payroll.

55 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Markakis got the Flowers treatment. Option declined, signed for 1 year $4M. Braves keep both and gain $4M towards 2020 payroll.

:barf: