Falconsfan567

2019-2020 Atlanta Braves Offseason Thread

433 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Wonder how his framing was this year considering he couldn't even catch the ball anymore.

Elitely.

In the ratings that buy framing he was still a top 10 catcher in the game due to this and this alone.

Edited by VoiceofReason95

1 hour ago, jidady said:

Anderson just struck 172 in 135 2/3 innings. With all of our young arms, I'd be stunned if we gave him up in a deal. I think he's the closest thing we have to an untouchable prospect right now.

I'd still do it for one of the best players in MLB.

Especially with how volatile arms are. 

3 minutes ago, Malachore said:

I understand why you would say that. However, you've said something similar about Soroka this calendar year. With the benefit of hindsight, you understand that would have been horrific for us, right? And I'm not pointing fingers here. I was willing to trade Albies for Stanton a couple of offseasons ago.

Stanton was coming off of a 7.9 WAR season while Albies had shown promise as a late call-up, but he wasn't projected anywhere near Stanton. Two years later,  Stanton's had 4.4 WAR in two seasons as a Yankee...and at a cost of $51 million. Albies has given us 8.6 WAR at barely over a million dollars. 

I get why you're frustrated, as our grand plan to bring in all kinds of young arms hasn't paid dividends. It's actually mathematically improbable how many misses we've had to date. Still, I told you 12 months ago that Soroka showed all the signs of being special. Anderson isn't quite on that level, especially given his late season struggles in AAA, but he's got a solid chance to be really good. 

To a larger point, some of those young arms who have frustrated us still possess enough trade value that we should be able to get anybody we want without giving away our most viable pitching prospect. That could be Adam Wainwright 2 (although that's technically true of all of them).

Malachore likes this

4 hours ago, Malachore said:

Even though Mookie is a FA in 2021?

2 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Even though Mookie is a FA in 2021?

I would assume AA wouldn't do it unless he could resign him.

8 hours ago, jidady said:

I understand why you would say that. However, you've said something similar about Soroka this calendar year. With the benefit of hindsight, you understand that would have been horrific for us, right? And I'm not pointing fingers here. I was willing to trade Albies for Stanton a couple of offseasons ago.

Stanton was coming off of a 7.9 WAR season while Albies had shown promise as a late call-up, but he wasn't projected anywhere near Stanton. Two years later,  Stanton's had 4.4 WAR in two seasons as a Yankee...and at a cost of $51 million. Albies has given us 8.6 WAR at barely over a million dollars. 

I get why you're frustrated, as our grand plan to bring in all kinds of young arms hasn't paid dividends. It's actually mathematically improbable how many misses we've had to date. Still, I told you 12 months ago that Soroka showed all the signs of being special. Anderson isn't quite on that level, especially given his late season struggles in AAA, but he's got a solid chance to be really good. 

To a larger point, some of those young arms who have frustrated us still possess enough trade value that we should be able to get anybody we want without giving away our most viable pitching prospect. That could be Adam Wainwright 2 (although that's technically true of all of them).

At least you get why I'd do it. I don't think I said to trade Soroka, Inwas really down on the fact he had more DL stints than quality starts.

I get what you are saying but I'm still trading Anderson if that's what it takes.

I'm not sending them Pache/Waters, Anderson and Riley/SP though.

5 hours ago, Malachore said:

At least you get why I'd do it. I don't think I said to trade Soroka, Inwas really down on the fact he had more DL stints than quality starts.

I get what you are saying but I'm still trading Anderson if that's what it takes.

I'm not sending them Pache/Waters, Anderson and Riley/SP though.

See, if needed, I would trade one of Pache or Waters if absolutely required to complete a deal. We have two high-level OF prospects. I have to trust the organization to know which one's got more long-term value, which I pretty strongly believe is Pache. Anderson has elevated himself over his peers to the point where I would find other ways to get the player I wanted in trade.

Malachore likes this

Braves announce Freeman underwent successful surgery. The doctor removed 3 loose fragments in his elbow. They also cleaned up several bone spur formations. Freeman is expected to be fully ready for Spring Training. Also confirms why Freeman disappeared late in the season and October. His elbow was shot.

Here's my thing when it comes to Freddie Freeman injury and let me say this I love him and I think he is the face of our franchise in our Superstar until Ronald Acuna fully matures that being said if these things have been bothering him for years now why didn't he get them taken care of before hand

Edited by oztin

1 hour ago, Unknøwn said:

Braves announce Freeman underwent successful surgery. The doctor removed 3 loose fragments in his elbow. They also cleaned up several bone spur formations. Freeman is expected to be fully ready for Spring Training. Also confirms why Freeman disappeared late in the season and October. His elbow was shot.

He's such a bada$$ and great human being that he just suffered down the stretch to help the team. I'm so proud that he's the face of the Braves.

31 minutes ago, oztin said:

Here's my thing when it comes to Freddie Freeman injury and let me say this I love her and I think he is the face of our franchise in our Superstar until Ronald Acuna fully matures that being said if these things have been bothering him for years now why didn't he get them taken care of before hand

Sounds like it was one but during this season it worsened and blew up into this. Before now the one wasnt bad enough to operate on.

2 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Glad he got it fixed and taken care of!

12 hours ago, jidady said:

He's such a bada$$ and great human being that he just suffered down the stretch to help the team. I'm so proud that he's the face of the Braves.

Where as i like Freeman im actually on the opposite side of this and it sorta pisses me off.  The fact he knew he was injured and struggling because of it was hurting us severely.  Snit asked him multiple times if he was hurting and snit said freeman told him he was fine.   Thats selfish to me and he should have stepped aside and let someone healthier that was hotter at the plate step into that role if he couldn't perform to the standards we needed him to in the playoffs.  Their was multiple times in the Cards series where he came up short that could have actually won us that entire series.  I still love him as a player for the Braves but that bs he pulled was garbage to me.

6 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

Where as i like Freeman im actually on the opposite side of this and it sorta pisses me off.  The fact he knew he was injured and struggling because of it was hurting us severely.  Snit asked him multiple times if he was hurting and snit said freeman told him he was fine.   Thats selfish to me and he should have stepped aside and let someone healthier that was hotter at the plate step into that role if he couldn't perform to the standards we needed him to in the playoffs.  Their was multiple times in the Cards series where he came up short that could have actually won us that entire series.  I still love him as a player for the Braves but that bs he pulled was garbage to me.

Team was aware. Freeman just didn't want excuses being made. Snitker basically said it after one game. Freeman still had a higher average than half the lineup 

NashvilleFalcon01 likes this

Team was aware. Freeman just didn't want excuses being made. Snitker basically said it after one game. Freeman still had a higher average than half the lineup 

Only because he had 2 hits in Game 5 and still failed when he came up with bases loaded.

Glad Freddie had the surgery. Now that some of the emotions have died down from the misery, I get why he didn't discuss it that much. I hope he heals up and this ends the bone spurs.

I would love Mookie, but I'm not trading Anderson for him. Would be willing to part with one of Pache or Waters for him though

TheTrue7 likes this

24 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Yep, a lot of healthy guys failed too. 

Can't argue with that.

Hopefully he's 100% and this stuff is behind him.

It's tough to speculate on what Boston will realy want or if they're even willing to listen. The Mookie rumors came from the Dombrowski vision. Now hes fired and Boston doesnt even have a GM yet. 

Saw a Jackie Bradley, Jr

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/boston-red-sox

Here’s a look at several clubs that could inquire about Bradley…

• Braves: Center field isn’t a pressing need for the Braves, as they could continue to go with superstar Ronald Acuna Jr. as their man pick there (at least until hyped prospects Cristian Pache and Drew Waters show up). The Braves also have two other viable outfield starters in Ender Inciarte and Nick Markakis, though they’re facing a decision on the latter’s $6MM club option/$2MM buyout. If the Braves part with Markakis, would they send Acuna to a corner? Even if Markakis stays, MLBTR’s Steve Adams raised an interesting question when the two of us were discussing Bradley: Would Atlanta and Boston consider a swap around Bradley and Inciarte? Both teams would come out with capable center fielders, with the Red Sox cutting some of their payroll for 2020. They’d get two years’ control over Inciarte, who’s due a guaranteed $16.025MM through 2021 (including a $1.025MM buyout for 2022).

3 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

It's tough to speculate on what Boston will realy want or if they're even willing to listen. The Mookie rumors came from the Dombrowski vision. Now hes fired and Boston doesnt even have a GM yet. 

I read that the owner wants to cut payroll and that they're not gonna be able to keep both Mookie and Martinez and that one of them will be traded.

2 hours ago, usmcdirtybird said:

Saw a Jackie Bradley, Jr

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/boston-red-sox

Here’s a look at several clubs that could inquire about Bradley…

• Braves: Center field isn’t a pressing need for the Braves, as they could continue to go with superstar Ronald Acuna Jr. as their man pick there (at least until hyped prospects Cristian Pache and Drew Waters show up). The Braves also have two other viable outfield starters in Ender Inciarte and Nick Markakis, though they’re facing a decision on the latter’s $6MM club option/$2MM buyout. If the Braves part with Markakis, would they send Acuna to a corner? Even if Markakis stays, MLBTR’s Steve Adams raised an interesting question when the two of us were discussing Bradley: Would Atlanta and Boston consider a swap around Bradley and Inciarte? Both teams would come out with capable center fielders, with the Red Sox cutting some of their payroll for 2020. They’d get two years’ control over Inciarte, who’s due a guaranteed $16.025MM through 2021 (including a $1.025MM buyout for 2022).

The Braves have been linked to Bradley for about 10 years I think. Maybe  when Jon Gruden is named HC at Tennessee we'll get Bradley.

I want no part of Jackie Bradley Jr. JBJ had a couple good seasons early in his career but even with that he's still only a .236/.317/.409 (.727) hitter. We'd be better off going with a platoon of Duvall/Markakis than trading for Bradley who will be a free agent after the 2020 season.

Maybe  when Jon Gruden is named HC at Tennessee we'll get Bradley.

*hiss*

Gruden would have come as long as Jimmy Haslem and a couple of other prominent boosters had agreed to stay out of it. Amazingly, they wouldn't take that deal.