Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sun Tzu 7

Daniel Jeremiah on Falcons defense: “This play should never happen”

29 posts in this topic

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2019/10/9/20904622/daniel-jeremiah-on-falcons-defense-this-play-should-never-happen-rush-3-drop-8-what-are-we-doing

Falcons fans have been fuming over the poor play of the defense against Houston since Sunday. After doing some digging, we found that Atlanta’s 53-32 drubbing at the hands of the Texans was their worst defensive performance of Dan Quinn’s tenure and the most points they’ve allowed since 2004.

It appears that the national media has picked up on the embarrassing showing as well, with NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah particularly shocked with Atlanta’s schematic decisions. Jeremiah broke down a few plays by the defense, where the Falcons sent only 3 pass rushers and dropped 8 players into coverage. When the Falcons allowed huge gains and a TD on those plays—some of which featured only 3 receivers running routes versus the 8 coverage players—it prompted a shocked expression from Jeremiah and an exclamation of “This play should never happen.”

I agree with Jeremiah 100%. The scheme was nonsensical from the beginning of the game. Dan Quinn’s decision to rely on rushing 3—which is a departure from his usual defensive philosophy of trying to get pressure with 4—and dropping 8 players into coverage was a poor one against a Texans team with plenty of firepower and a porous offensive line. Houston had been allowing almost 5 sacks a game though the first four weeks, and Atlanta managed zero on Sunday. They also only recorded two pressures, according to Next Gen Stats quoted by Jeremiah.

I honestly cannot fathom the decision-making behind a gameplan that didn’t prioritize getting pressure on Texans QB Deshaun Watson. Watson is one the NFL’s rising stars, and the only thing that’s kept him down is a pretty bad offensive line and constant pressure in his face. The Falcons elected not to pressure him, instead relying on a secondary that has been beaten like a drum by the likes of Jacoby Brissett and Marcus Mariota. No offense to either of those guys, but Watson is a far superior QB.

In the end, the Falcons allowed over 400 yards, an 84.8% completion percentage, 12.9 YPA, and 5 TDs to Watson. Quinn’s “adjustments” to the defense over the past few weeks have continued to make the unit look worse and worse. Instead of leaning into more aggressive schematic decisions—like those deployed against the Eagles—the defense has continued to become more and more conservative. We’ve seen larger cushions for receivers, more players dropped into coverage, and fewer blitzes, which has resulted in a significant lack of pressure since Week 2.

Daniel Jeremiah was absolutely right: these types of plays should never happen. Sadly, it appears that Quinn’s instincts for fixing the defense are all wrong, and that’s why we saw one of the Falcons’ worst defensive performances of the 21st century in Week 5.

7 minutes ago, pzummo said:

For the literal folks on the board, I'm just joking about putting 11 in coverage.  It was meant to emphasize the fact that we can't generate any pressure on opposing QB's.

We’ve done it one week then DQ for some reason has hung a guy like Jarrett out to dry whose doubled every play when they rush 3.I don’t know what his plan is but if it continues I see the unemployment line beckoning.

Have the players quit, tho?

We all say that but we have no idea what is going on in the locker room. There doesn't seem to be a lot of nitpicking. 

It feels like, not that they have quit, but more like they are confused about what they are doing. Why are they confused? That's all on coaching.

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

18 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Dan Quinn’s decision to rely on rushing 3—which is a departure from his usual defensive philosophy of trying to get pressure with 4—and dropping 8 players into coverage was a poor one against a Texans team with plenty of firepower and a porous offensive line. Houston had been allowing almost 5 sacks a game though the first four weeks, and Atlanta managed zero on Sunday. They also only recorded two pressures, according to Next Gen Stats quoted by Jeremiah.

bernie mac blank stare GIF

Blitz packages are stale too. The nickel blitz was cool in the Eagles game but since then, it's been stopped. Overload blitzes are also nonexistent. I'm not asking for Gregg Williams/Todd Bowles type exotic blitzes but some different blitz packages with stunts, overloads, disguises, zone blitzes, etc would be nice and might get the defense excited again.

Quinn has been stubborn as heck thinking he's got the Seattle DL that can just generate pressure with the front four (or three sometimes) while having perennial pro bowlers behind them. I can't believe he's been rolling out the same garbage since the Eagles game. THREE GAMES (Colts, Titans and Texans) and it's gotten worse each game. There are coaches in the league that are adjusting scheme while the game is going on. George Kittle was quoted saying Shanahan schemes and is constantly adjusting play by play. That's what makes him great. Dude just ain't content. Quinn can say all the right things about being "pissed off" and "we're better than we showed" but players have given up and it's obvious. You can't get keep rolling out the same looks and not expect NFL offenses to find holes and rip it apart. We've already had multiples opponents say after games saying our scheme sucks and it's easy to attack us. It's partially scheme and partially players just not doing their job. 

What's with the weird 3-4 looks when Takk and Vic can't set a dang edge? What's with putting Ish in man coverage when he's constantly getting roasted? What's with sticking with Vic with his consistent lack of effort? What's with sticking with Campbell who plays like he's 3 foot 6 instead of 6 foot 3 when you have Foye and Grace waiting for their shot? What's with the two or three busted coverages per game? What's with the lack of creativity in generating pressure? What's with forcing pretty much no punts a game?

HouseofEuphoria likes this

If you haven't yet take a look at the Jeremiah video segment where he breaks these. 

It's not anything you haven't seen but it does a very good job explaining how bad things were and the complete disarray in the secondary.

If it were one guy just doing his own thing every play it would be one thing.  But it's not.

Either the players have tuned out the coaching staff or the coaching staff is doing something different.

Maybe Manuel was the glue holding the secondary together.  That would kind of explain what's happening back there.

All of those plays were made possible guys doing the wrong things in coverage.  Rushing three is a terrible idea but I think that was out of respect for what Watkins can do when he tucks it.  It's as if DQ said, "I'm not going to watch this guy run up and down the field on us."  Unfortunately it led to Will Fuller doing it instead.

1 hour ago, pzummo said:

For the literal folks on the board, I'm just joking about putting 11 in coverage.  It was meant to emphasize the fact that we can't generate any pressure on opposing QB's.

Hmmmmm......so 8 couldn’t cover 3, maybe 11 could? 

DQ, is that you? :ninja:

pzummo likes this

2 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

bernie mac blank stare GIF

Lol the exact part I was about to quote. That's poor scouting. The worst OL in the league and you decide to rush only 3 instead of sending 5 or more. How do you sit there and see how this OL has been abused repeatedly every week and think making it easier on them was smart. 

The worst part though, was even when they went max protect against the 3 man rushes, they couldn't cover two man routes with 8 players. It was just all around ineptitude. Impressive really. 

3 hours ago, The Don™ said:

What's with the weird 3-4 looks when Takk and Vic can't set a dang edge? What's with putting Ish in man coverage when he's constantly getting roasted? What's with sticking with Vic with his consistent lack of effort? What's with sticking with Campbell who plays like he's 3 foot 6 instead of 6 foot 3 when you have Foye and Grace waiting for their shot? What's with the two or three busted coverages per game? What's with the lack of creativity in generating pressure? What's with forcing pretty much no punts a game?

I'll play...

Whats with DEBO not being featured and schemed to flash?

14 minutes ago, OrthoPTSD said:

I'll play...

Whats with DEBO not being featured and schemed to flash?

Even he has taken a step or two backwards. Looks lost and hesitant at times. Not flowing freely to the ballcarrier as often as he once was. He's made some plays but he looks off too.

The stink from the rest of defense has rubbed off on our young stud MLB and he's so much better than he looks because he's shown it in the past.

Just now, The Don™ said:

Even he has taken a step or two backwards. Looks lost and hesitant at times. Not flowing freely to the ballcarrier as often as he once was. He's made some plays but he looks off too.

The stink from the rest of defense has rubbed off on our young stud MLB and he's so much better than he looks because he's shown it in the past.

Make me appreciate what Grady is doing

4 hours ago, pzummo said:

With our line's difficulty in bringing down quarterbacks the rare occasions when they get to him, I wonder if we would get many sacks if the offensive line did not even bother to block.

33 minutes ago, The Don™ said:

I'd keep Debo, Davison, Grace, Grady and Allen. The rest can screw off. 

I would take or leave Allen he has been whatever. Davison has been good but **** that game where he single-handedly gave the other team like three first downs on penalties (Titans? can't remember). Truth is the only untouchables are Grady and Debo, everyone else I wouldn't lose sleep over if we ended up replacing.