Bizarre defense called and WTF Tru?

The O.D.B

Was going through the Q3 of the Texans game last night and saw a play that looked like the old vegas fixer. 

About 5 min left in the 3rd, Grady stuffs their run attempt in the backfield and we also pick up a offensive holding along the way. Next play is 1st and 20. We treat is like it's 4th and 20 on defense. At the snap 2nd and 3rd level defense drops 20 yards back to the sticks. Meanwhile the Texan only have two WRs running routes against half our defense. Now some may recall the commentators remarking about us doubling Fuller on this play with Tru (high)and Schef (low). In this play Fuller runs directly at Tru and does a clean cut to the outside (no Juke), Tru is still about 5 yards off Fuller and looking at him when he makes his cut (Tru is exactly at the sticks). At the point when Fuller cuts, Tru jumps hard  to the inside. The only other WR on the field was on the opposite side of the field. Tru's move meant Schef, who was playing a little too low, had to Catch fuller from the backside 5-8 yards past the sticks. 

I've seen Tru lose battles before but, I don't think I've ever seen him juke himself out of a play. especially when there is no trickery from the offense and it's just a single receiver running at him. 

I don't understand a prevent type defense on 1st and 20. Dropping everyone back 20 yards means they may not convert but it's almost a gimme that your setting them up for 2nd and manageable.  I still believe in Quinn but this one's a real head-scratcher.

Just now, E. T. said:

1st and 20, I'm dialing up some sort of blitz. Playing the sticks at 1st and 20 you're asking for trouble.

You Re-watched it. did you happen to catch that play? I watched if like 10 times trying to see something to make reason of the call and Tru's exit stage left, and couldn't see anything but the dumb. 

3 minutes ago, The O.D.B said:

You Re-watched it. did you happen to catch that play? I watched if like 10 times trying to see something to make reason of the call and Tru's exit stage left, and couldn't see anything but the dumb. 

Tru drops too many of his assignments to either the safety or the LB of all people and leaves them hanging to dry. I don't think he fully understands the meaning of High/Low! He completely removes himself from the support. His overrated self should know better, but its not just him doing this. I've seen the safety and LB leave him to dry too. 

Its messy bro...

17 minutes ago, E. T. said:

Tru drops too many of his assignments to either the safety or the LB of all people and leaves them hanging to dry. I don't think he fully understands the meaning of High/Low! He completely removes himself from the support. His overrated self should know better, but its not just him doing this. I've seen the safety and LB leave him to dry too. 

Its messy bro...

This x 1000. 

2 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

Yeah, I remember THAT play.

Total lack of discipline.  He doesn't even have a fit in that coverage.  He's got deep 1/3.  Now way that pass should have been that easy.  And he's been doing this kinda stuff all year.  Why is he still on the field?  Is everyone behind him really that much worse?

9 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Total lack of discipline.  He doesn't even have a fit in that coverage.  He's got deep 1/3.  Now way that pass should have been that easy.  And he's been doing this kinda stuff all year.  Why is he still on the field?  Is everyone behind him really that much worse?

Player breakdowns aside, Why the heck would we call sticks on 1st and 20? 

17 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Aside from Oliver just straight up playing man coverage. It looks like they dont have a Yankee call, or maybe he just messed that up also. I like that tru is actually playing his part and you can see rico trying to bail oliver out. Its clear the problem is oliver and ish. Ish is also a problem in the run game.  

Just now, SPITFIRE said:

Aside from Oliver just straight up playing man coverage. It looks like they dont have a Yankee call, or maybe he just messed that up also. I like that tru is actually playing his part and you can see rico trying to bail oliver out. Its clear the problem is oliver and ish. Ish is also a problem in the run game.  

Yeah 3rd and 1, Ish has run responsibility there and sometimes on 3rd and 1 you just gotta shoot your guns. He whiffed and got out of position too. His curl/flat drop woulda contested that play but Oliver was the big miss.

He’s out there not even doing his job. Just let his guy run right by him. Communication was supposed to be one of the things Quinn hit hard on in the offseason and it looks worse than ever.

19 minutes ago, The O.D.B said:

Player breakdowns aside, Why the heck would we call sticks on 1st and 20? 

so they can give up at least 21 yards when the players blow their assignments. of course they don't need that play call to blow their assignments, as they've shown all year, but that one opens the 'discussion' up for 'is it the coach or the players'

which of course has to be answered with "BOTH"  :tiphat:

10 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I don’t have the slightest idea. DQ has been making some odd calls all season. Maybe they knew a shot play was coming but still...

I'd hate for a shot play to get behind the defense when we can....... *checks notes* ........ give them an easy reception in space instead.

Shot plays take time to develop.  Houston has a problem protecting.  Game plan?  Drop 8 and make sure there's no pass rush.  No, I don't mean just drop 8 in coverage.  I mean drop 8 men into the next county and leave a bunch of field uncontested.

Winning!

Man, I made a whole thread about the players and the culture and blah blah blah.

Now I'm about to get on board the Fire Quinn Express.  I know it's just a couple of plays, but this stuff really isn't just 20/20 hindsight.  I get wanting to ensure contain on Watson, but Lord, you're better off flushing him with pressure and a spy than just letting him sit back there and pick you apart.

It's almost like the Falcons didn't think he could throw the football or read defenses.

5 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I'd hate for a shot play to get behind the defense when we can....... *checks notes* ........ give them an easy reception in space instead.

Shot plays take time to develop.  Houston has a problem protecting.  Game plan?  Drop 8 and make sure there's no pass rush.  No, I don't mean just drop 8 in coverage.  I mean drop 8 men into the next county and leave a bunch of field uncontested.

Winning!

It seems like DQ has carried on the Mike Smith tradition of prevent defenses too early and too often. 

3 minutes ago, mtldirtybird said:

at the crossing point of the routes Olivier needs to let his man go and jump that underneath route...It would be easier for an INT for him and Rico on the deeper WR...

He has bad eyes. You cant play corner if you have bad eyes. I dont care how long your arms are.