Jump to content

Bizarre defense called and WTF Tru?


The O.D.B
 Share

Recommended Posts

Was going through the Q3 of the Texans game last night and saw a play that looked like the old vegas fixer. 

About 5 min left in the 3rd, Grady stuffs their run attempt in the backfield and we also pick up a offensive holding along the way. Next play is 1st and 20. We treat is like it's 4th and 20 on defense. At the snap 2nd and 3rd level defense drops 20 yards back to the sticks. Meanwhile the Texan only have two WRs running routes against half our defense. Now some may recall the commentators remarking about us doubling Fuller on this play with Tru (high)and Schef (low). In this play Fuller runs directly at Tru and does a clean cut to the outside (no Juke), Tru is still about 5 yards off Fuller and looking at him when he makes his cut (Tru is exactly at the sticks). At the point when Fuller cuts, Tru jumps hard  to the inside. The only other WR on the field was on the opposite side of the field. Tru's move meant Schef, who was playing a little too low, had to Catch fuller from the backside 5-8 yards past the sticks. 

I've seen Tru lose battles before but, I don't think I've ever seen him juke himself out of a play. especially when there is no trickery from the offense and it's just a single receiver running at him. 

I don't understand a prevent type defense on 1st and 20. Dropping everyone back 20 yards means they may not convert but it's almost a gimme that your setting them up for 2nd and manageable.  I still believe in Quinn but this one's a real head-scratcher.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, E. T. said:

1st and 20, I'm dialing up some sort of blitz. Playing the sticks at 1st and 20 you're asking for trouble.

You Re-watched it. did you happen to catch that play? I watched if like 10 times trying to see something to make reason of the call and Tru's exit stage left, and couldn't see anything but the dumb. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, The O.D.B said:

You Re-watched it. did you happen to catch that play? I watched if like 10 times trying to see something to make reason of the call and Tru's exit stage left, and couldn't see anything but the dumb. 

Tru drops too many of his assignments to either the safety or the LB of all people and leaves them hanging to dry. I don't think he fully understands the meaning of High/Low! He completely removes himself from the support. His overrated self should know better, but its not just him doing this. I've seen the safety and LB leave him to dry too. 

Its messy bro...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, E. T. said:

Tru drops too many of his assignments to either the safety or the LB of all people and leaves them hanging to dry. I don't think he fully understands the meaning of High/Low! He completely removes himself from the support. His overrated self should know better, but its not just him doing this. I've seen the safety and LB leave him to dry too. 

Its messy bro...

This x 1000. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

Yeah, I remember THAT play.

Total lack of discipline.  He doesn't even have a fit in that coverage.  He's got deep 1/3.  Now way that pass should have been that easy.  And he's been doing this kinda stuff all year.  Why is he still on the field?  Is everyone behind him really that much worse?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Total lack of discipline.  He doesn't even have a fit in that coverage.  He's got deep 1/3.  Now way that pass should have been that easy.  And he's been doing this kinda stuff all year.  Why is he still on the field?  Is everyone behind him really that much worse?

Player breakdowns aside, Why the heck would we call sticks on 1st and 20? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Total lack of discipline.  He doesn't even have a fit in that coverage.  He's got deep 1/3.  Now way that pass should have been that easy.  And he's been doing this kinda stuff all year.  Why is he still on the field?  Is everyone behind him really that much worse?

Aside from Oliver just straight up playing man coverage. It looks like they dont have a Yankee call, or maybe he just messed that up also. I like that tru is actually playing his part and you can see rico trying to bail oliver out. Its clear the problem is oliver and ish. Ish is also a problem in the run game.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, SPITFIRE said:

Aside from Oliver just straight up playing man coverage. It looks like they dont have a Yankee call, or maybe he just messed that up also. I like that tru is actually playing his part and you can see rico trying to bail oliver out. Its clear the problem is oliver and ish. Ish is also a problem in the run game.  

Yeah 3rd and 1, Ish has run responsibility there and sometimes on 3rd and 1 you just gotta shoot your guns. He whiffed and got out of position too. His curl/flat drop woulda contested that play but Oliver was the big miss.

He’s out there not even doing his job. Just let his guy run right by him. Communication was supposed to be one of the things Quinn hit hard on in the offseason and it looks worse than ever.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, The O.D.B said:

Player breakdowns aside, Why the heck would we call sticks on 1st and 20? 

so they can give up at least 21 yards when the players blow their assignments. of course they don't need that play call to blow their assignments, as they've shown all year, but that one opens the 'discussion' up for 'is it the coach or the players'

 

which of course has to be answered with "BOTH"  :tiphat:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I don’t have the slightest idea. DQ has been making some odd calls all season. Maybe they knew a shot play was coming but still...

I'd hate for a shot play to get behind the defense when we can....... *checks notes* ........ give them an easy reception in space instead.

Shot plays take time to develop.  Houston has a problem protecting.  Game plan?  Drop 8 and make sure there's no pass rush.  No, I don't mean just drop 8 in coverage.  I mean drop 8 men into the next county and leave a bunch of field uncontested.

Winning!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Man, I made a whole thread about the players and the culture and blah blah blah.

Now I'm about to get on board the Fire Quinn Express.  I know it's just a couple of plays, but this stuff really isn't just 20/20 hindsight.  I get wanting to ensure contain on Watson, but Lord, you're better off flushing him with pressure and a spy than just letting him sit back there and pick you apart.

It's almost like the Falcons didn't think he could throw the football or read defenses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I'd hate for a shot play to get behind the defense when we can....... *checks notes* ........ give them an easy reception in space instead.

Shot plays take time to develop.  Houston has a problem protecting.  Game plan?  Drop 8 and make sure there's no pass rush.  No, I don't mean just drop 8 in coverage.  I mean drop 8 men into the next county and leave a bunch of field uncontested.

Winning!

It seems like DQ has carried on the Mike Smith tradition of prevent defenses too early and too often. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, mtldirtybird said:

at the crossing point of the routes Olivier needs to let his man go and jump that underneath route...It would be easier for an INT for him and Rico on the deeper WR...

He has bad eyes. You cant play corner if you have bad eyes. I dont care how long your arms are. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...