The Rock

70% of the cap going to offense next year.

40 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

How do we do that with offense taking up as much cap space as they are? Even with cuts, it's not enough to go after huge impact players. At best, we could pull off a veteran DB or LB. Pass rushers almost always have to be drafted unless you can get them through a trade. Decent ones cost in a ton of free agency.

That’s because of dumb philosophy of drafting Defensive players almost every year from 2008. Get an Offensive minded HC who can draft and develop players. 

8 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Why cant we win games? We have the most elite qb to ever play the game right? 

See: My sig

You realize it's a team game?

Ryan is even having a down year from his standard set from 2016-2018; where he was arguably the best QB in the NFL and Top 3-5 easily.

This year? Not so much...but he isn't far off his usual elite self.

Keep chasing your tail tho...

Vandy likes this

On 10/10/2019 at 3:28 PM, Ergo Proxy said:

Hey OP:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/defense/

Defense is underpaid league wide.

Draft better and get a better DC.

Falcons this year middle of the pack for % of cap on the Defense.

:)

Also note the teams with higher percentage of cap going to defense also tend to play better defense.

Our cap gets even more skewed towards the offense next year.

ChickenBiscuit likes this

On 10/10/2019 at 3:27 PM, NYCFalc said:

If he is better than both combined it would have. And one is in his last year. I am totally against the idea of suggesting we should have drafted this guy instead because it's too easy, pointless and I'm not mad at our pick. Just no one expected our defense to be so bad. And I'm referring to Burns just FYI.

*Edit after the fact- I realize this thread is about cap % to the offense, so you are correct in what you said. I guess I was suggesting we need more resources committed to the defense.

I know I defense was going to be this bad it's quite simple  CB are too tall  and DE  6-2 and 6-3 lol and I have no idea what the defense we are actually running

21 hours ago, The Rock said:

Also note the teams with higher percentage of cap going to defense also tend to play better defense.

Our cap gets even more skewed towards the offense next year.

Rams, Browns, Jets say hi from the top 6...meanwhile Packers, Chargers, Titans from below Atlanta say hi. Oh...

Another BTW: Next year isn't here yet and the numbers will change by then...but please let's keep investing 1st rounders into the D that doesn't perform and ignore coaching...while we drink coffee over thinking spending = success...

Saints, Cowboys, and Packers in NFC can field respectable Defense mostly through the draft while paying franchise QB or more money than ATL on offense.

Why isn't the Falcons D performing? Too many busts? Bad coaching? Good start.

the problem here isn't "we aren't investing enough resources into the defense"

the problem is "we're investing all these resources into the offense, WHY ISN'T THE OFFENSE BETTER?"

offensive play calling in the NFL is just atrocious, almost across the board. The only 2 teams that are doing it right are KC and NE.

2 minutes ago, Kayoh said:

the problem here isn't "we aren't investing enough resources into the defense"

the problem is "we're investing all these resources into the offense, WHY ISN'T THE OFFENSE BETTER?"

offensive play calling in the NFL is just atrocious, almost across the board. The only 2 teams that are doing it right are KC and NE.

49ers, Rams, Ravens, Cowboys and Vikings are all flying offensively this year. Even the Jags, Bills, Texans and Seahawks are going well offensively (4 teams known more for defense). The Saints without Brees are still moving the ball efficiently.

There are good play callers and offenses out there but there also some really bad examples... Koetter is one of them. 

Ergo Proxy and Vandy like this

On 10/9/2019 at 0:19 AM, FalconFanSince1970 said:

This reeks go explosive. That's what killed us.

It didn't kill the Chiefs, we just didn't do it the right way. 

6 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

49ers, Rams, Ravens, Cowboys and Vikings are all flying offensively this year. Even the Jags, Bills, Texans and Seahawks are going well offensively (4 teams known more for defense). The Saints without Brees are still moving the ball efficiently.

There are good play callers and offenses out there but there also some really bad examples... Koetter is one of them. 

San Fran, Baltimore, Dallas, and Minnesota all run the ball too much. That might work against bad teams (which those teams have mostly faced) but it's not how you beat good teams. Therefore, it's not how you win in the playoffs and most importantly, it's not how you win a Super Bowl.

Houston & Seattle also run too much but have awesome QBs who bail their play callers out.

LAR & Jacksonville are too predictable with their run/pass selection. If they come out in a passing set, they're going to pass. If they come out in a heavier set, they're very likely going to run. They need to start passing more out of heavy sets and stop using 11 so **** much.

Buffalo's offense sucks and I will not be told any differently. They've scored 90 points, ranked 26th out of 32.

Ergo Proxy likes this

6 hours ago, Power I said:

It didn't kill the Chiefs, we just didn't do it the right way. 

Aint that the truth. Trying to be a ferrari offense with a chevette under center.

12 minutes ago, Kayoh said:

San Fran, Baltimore, Dallas, and Minnesota all run the ball too much. That might work against bad teams (which those teams have mostly faced) but it's not how you beat good teams. Therefore, it's not how you win in the playoffs and most importantly, it's not how you win a Super Bowl.

Houston & Seattle also run too much but have awesome QBs who bail their play callers out.

LAR & Jacksonville are too predictable with their run/pass selection. If they come out in a passing set, they're going to pass. If they come out in a heavier set, they're very likely going to run. They need to start passing more out of heavy sets and stop using 11 so **** much.

Buffalo's offense sucks and I will not be told any differently. They've scored 90 points, ranked 26th out of 32.

There is more than one way to skin a cat. 

We're #3 in passing yards per game but can't get anything out of the run game. Cowboys, 'who run too much' are #2.

Balance is key for me.

Ergo Proxy likes this

14 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

There is more than one way to skin a cat. 

We're #3 in passing yards per game but can't get anything out of the run game. Cowboys, 'who run too much' are #2.

Balance is key for me.

Dallas started the season off great. I would have grouped Kellen Moore in with Reid & McDaniels if their entire season's game plans looked in any way similar to their game plans in the first 2 weeks. Sadly they've been running more and more ever since, most likely due to influence from Zeke, Jason Garrett, and Jerruh. Regardless, they've also faced an insanely easy schedule (2nd easiest in the league after NE) so it's probably too early to tell either way.

"Balance" is a myth. Line up like you're going to run and if the defense wants to defend it like a run, pass it. If the defense catches on and starts trying to play nickel against your heavy set, force them back into base with the run.

m2Falcons likes this