The Rock

70% of the cap going to offense next year.

40 posts in this topic

Going through the cap numbers via sportstrac, Dimitroff has invested 70% of our cap into offense.

Already with minimal cap space for next year, prepare for our defense to suck again. So big defensive free agents will be on their way.

We better get an offensive guru for head coach, otherwise embrace the suck.

That’s more inability of TD to draft Offense in early rounds and grab the players in FA.  I hope they get an offensive minded head coach. 

17 minutes ago, mattyicefalcon said:

All I know is 100% Falcons Fans interests and Hopes have gone down the tubes!!! 

Hey...it ain't my money soo who cares.

Mr.Blank got his stadium with PSL

Players got their money.

Coaches got jobs.

What do we fans have??!! 

A. ***tty football team, thats what we get

The Rock likes this

2 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Which is why we need a young offensive minded head coach. Hire an old tried and true DC and go back to what this team was built around

This, 100 %

3 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Which is why we need a young offensive minded head coach. Hire an old tried and true DC and go back to what this team was built around

This reeks go explosive. That's what killed us.

Chitown2ATL_Falcon likes this

1 hour ago, The Rock said:

Going through the cap numbers via sportstrac, Dimitroff has invested 70% of our cap into offense.

It is foolish to use those numbers as any sort reference because they don't include any cuts or contract restructuring.

This year the Falcons have a 48% to 40% allocation of offense to defense.  That is middle of the road on defense and in the top third in offense.

Next year's will likely look the same after the dust settles.

BlazerSlayer and Unitas like this

1 hour ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

But its the defenses fault we cant win :shrug:

Yep. They'll still get the blame even though we get exactly what we pay for on defense. Can't say the same for the offense whatsoever.

23 hours ago, JeffAtl said:

It is foolish to use those numbers as any sort reference because they don't include any cuts or contract restructuring.

This year the Falcons have a 48% to 40% allocation of offense to defense.  That is middle of the road on defense and in the top third in offense.

Next year's will likely look the same after the dust settles.

That will not be the case next year with all the guaranteed money recently given out over the last couple years. Team can't afford to take on more dead money.

When TD restructures contracts, he never gets players to take a pay cut, rather just pushes the inevitable down the road. It's going to catch up next season. 

I've said it before, don't be surprised if the Falcons don't make the playoffs again until 2022 (or January 2023) with a completely different roster. I could see the 2020 Falcons missing the playoffs or going 11-5 with a wildcard berth, then we miss the playoffs in 2021 of course, then in 2022 we win the division again. That's how I believe it'll happen. The Falcons haven't missed the postseason more than 3 years in a row since the mid 90's. Between 1998 and 2017 we never missed the playoffs more than 3 consecutive years. Never with Arthur Blank. 

In the NFL, money does not equal production. Money equals veteran players who have gotten second contracts. The offense is clearly the veteran unit. 

But the defense has had a lot of draft capital invested into it. Both DE's are 1st round picks still playing on their rookie contracts and the starting SS is a 1st rounder. Obviously the team isn't getting 1st round production out of any of them, but it's not for lack of investment. 

Ergo Proxy and THEHEADCOACH like this

On 10/8/2019 at 11:57 PM, NYCFalc said:

Man we passed on an amazing pass rusher this draft

We have two first round pass rushers still on rookie contracts. Another one wouldn’t have made any difference. 

14 hours ago, The Rock said:

That will not be the case next year with all the guaranteed money recently given out over the last couple years. Team can't afford to take on more dead money.

When TD restructures contracts, he never gets players to take a pay cut, rather just pushes the inevitable down the road. It's going to catch up next season. 

Dead Money is a sunk cost - it is already paid for (often pro-rated).  It's something to avoid, but it is a lagging indicator.

Cap space is all that matters when  constructing a roster.

Edited by JeffAtl

5 hours ago, falcons007 said:

We have two first round pass rushers still on rookie contracts. Another one wouldn’t have made any difference. 

If he is better than both combined it would have. And one is in his last year. I am totally against the idea of suggesting we should have drafted this guy instead because it's too easy, pointless and I'm not mad at our pick. Just no one expected our defense to be so bad. And I'm referring to Burns just FYI.

*Edit after the fact- I realize this thread is about cap % to the offense, so you are correct in what you said. I guess I was suggesting we need more resources committed to the defense.

Edited by NYCFalc

6 hours ago, Summerhill said:

In the NFL, money does not equal production. Money equals veteran players who have gotten second contracts. The offense is clearly the veteran unit. 

But the defense has had a lot of draft capital invested into it. Both DE's are 1st round picks still playing on their rookie contracts and the starting SS is a 1st rounder. Obviously the team isn't getting 1st round production out of any of them, but it's not for lack of investment. 

Ask Mike McCarthy how drafting your way to an elite D while putting almost all of your resources into offense usually goes.

Grady is our vet at this point. We need a pass rusher out of this upcoming draft, we'll have a top 10 pick most likely and we missed big time of Beasley. I don't think you get a better chance than after this season.

Vandy and Chitown2ATL_Falcon like this

2 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

Ask Mike McCarthy how drafting your way to an elite D while putting almost all of your resources into offense usually goes.

The Falcons only have one free agent of major significance on offense - Alex Mack. Just about all the top players on a consistently top offense were drafted. The Falcons are simply better at drafting offense than defense. 

If the Falcons drafted Byron Jones, Jaylon Smith, and Tre Davious White instead of Vic Beeasley, Keanu Neal, and Takk McKinley, they'd be a lot better on D while spending the exact same amount of money. 

Ergo Proxy likes this

3 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

The Falcons only have one free agent of major significance on offense - Alex Mack. Just about all the top players on a consistently top offense were drafted. The Falcons are simply better at drafting offense than defense. 

If the Falcons drafted Byron Jones, Jaylon Smith, and Tre Davious White instead of Vic Beeasley, Keanu Neal, and Takk McKinley, they'd be a lot better on D while spending the exact same amount of money. 

Our highest picks always go towards offense, though. Matthews, Ryan, Julio were all top 10 picks. Beasley is the only player on the defense drafted in the top 10. And in defense of Neal, he was a decent safety for a late first, he just can't stay healthy. 

If we draft in the top 10 again this year on defense I think we get our guy. 

Chitown2ATL_Falcon and Vandy like this

Just now, ChickenBiscuit said:

Our highest picks always go towards offense, though. Matthews, Ryan, Julio were all top 10 picks. Beasley is the only player on the defense drafted in the top 10. And in defense of Neal, he was a decent safety for a late first, he just can't stay healthy. 

If we draft in the top 10 again this year on defense I think we get our guy. 

We drafted 2-3 times more players on defense in first round than the offense in last 12 years.  The last two top 10 defensive picks were Vic Beasley and JA 98. JA98 was one of the biggest bust in the franchise history and Vic has to be one of the most inconsistent and underwhelming pick. All that first round draft capital on defense went for nothing. They probably should get D in FA and draft offense in first two rounds.

2 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

We drafted 2-3 times more players on defense in first round than the offense in last 12 years.  The last two top 10 defensive picks were Vic Beasley and JA 98. JA98 was one of the biggest bust in the franchise history and Vic has to be one of the most inconsistent and underwhelming pick. All that first round draft capital on defense went for nothing. They probably should get D in FA and draft offense in first two rounds.

How do we do that with offense taking up as much cap space as they are? Even with cuts, it's not enough to go after huge impact players. At best, we could pull off a veteran DB or LB. Pass rushers almost always have to be drafted unless you can get them through a trade. Decent ones cost in a ton of free agency.

Vandy and Chitown2ATL_Falcon like this