Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
motivation2k3

How are the Saints winning without Brees?

98 posts in this topic

Here's why the Saints are winning ... drafting players that are contributing.

Key players drafted over the last 4 years, each whom makes a heavy contribution and all selected inside the the Top 105 players of their draft class:

• Sheldon Rankins - DT
  • Mike Thomas - WR
  • Vonn Bell - S
  • David Onyemata - DT
  • Marshon Lattimore - CB
  • Ryan Ramczyk - RT
  • Marcus Williams - S
  • Alex Anzalone - LB
  • Trey Hendrickson - DE
  • Marcus Davenport - DE
  • Erik McCoy - C
  • Chauncey Gardner-Johnson - S

Every single draft choice inside the Top 105 players selected has been a hit for the Saints. Credit goes to the Front Office for that.

4 minutes ago, runshoot said:

Another Payton miracle! His team had the 2nd worst historical defense since 1986. 

FootballOutsiders has data going back to 1986. The worst defenses via their metric are:

• 1986 Bucs

• 2015 Saints

• 2000 Vikings

• 1987 Dolphins

• 2008 Lions

He's an offensive guy.

Quinn's a defensive guy.

Please show me Peyton's equivalent of Quinn's defense allowing 2 different NFL teams to score every time they touched the ball save 1.  And keep in mind this wasn't over a couple of years.  This happened in 3 games.

But just for fun why don't you go back and look at that Saints historically bad defense and let me know if they had a game where they allowed the other team to score on every drive except 1.  Chances are they didn't.  Especially multiple times in one season because I don't recall them firing the DC mid-year, but I'm curious to know if they did.

Adaptability

Coaching

Schemes tailored to strengths. 

Lack of dumb (*&^ catch phrases 

Identity entrenched in the organization instead of impersonating other coaches and hiring coordinators to impersonate other coaches. 

Scott1988 likes this

8 minutes ago, SaintRay said:

Here's why the Saints are winning ... drafting players that are contributing.

Key players drafted over the last 4 years, each whom makes a heavy contribution and all selected inside the the Top 105 players of their draft class:

• Sheldon Rankins - DT
  • Mike Thomas - WR
  • Vonn Bell - S
  • David Onyemata - DT
  • Marshon Lattimore - CB
  • Ryan Ramczyk - RT
  • Marcus Williams - S
  • Alex Anzalone - LB
  • Trey Hendrickson - DE
  • Marcus Davenport - DE
  • Erik McCoy - C
  • Chauncey Gardner-Johnson - S

Every single draft choice inside the Top 105 players selected has been a hit for the Saints. Credit goes to the Front Office for that.

One thing about your defense is it's built to stop the run which is odd for this day and age but it works. You guys are so good at stopping the run that it allows your team to just focus on the pass later in the game. 

Although this year you guys haven't been as good at it, I expect that to change though.

Scott1988 likes this

They have a great defense/offensive line, playmakers on both sides of the ball, and quality coaching. Pretty simple really. With that formula, you’ll be in a lot of games win or lose. 

8 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

One thing about your defense is it's built to stop the run which is odd for this day and age but it works. You guys are so good at stopping the run that it allows your team to just focus on the pass later in the game. 

Although this year you guys haven't been as good at it, I expect that to change though.

According to members of the organization, this was intentional. It's why the club went out and got Malcolm Brown at DT this offseason to compliment Rankins and Onyemata. A defense has to take something away, and the Saints have decided that's the run game. This forces an opposing offense to become one dimensional, and when that happens, the advantage shifts to the defense.

LB DeMario Davis is considered the 2nd best Free Agent signing by the Saints ever, behind only Drew Brees. He's a stud at MLB, playing all 3 downs and capable in pass coverage as well.

The team traded for CB Eli Apple last season to line up opposite Lattimore and he looks really good this year so far. Years ago the defense couldn't get off the field, that's no longer the case.

2 minutes ago, SaintRay said:

According to members of the organization, this was intentional. It's why the club went out and got Malcolm Brown at DT this offseason to compliment Rankins and Onyemata. A defense has to take something away, and the Saints have decided that's the run game. This forces an opposing offense to become one dimensional and when that happens, the advantage shifts to the defense.

LB DeMario Davis is considered the 2nd best Free Agent signing by the Saints ever, behind only Drew Brees. He's a stud at MLB, playing all 3 downs and capable in pass coverage as well.

The team traded for CB Eli Apple last season to line up opposite Lattimore and he looks really good this year so far. Years ago the defense couldn't get off the field, that's no longer the case.

I gotta applaud that. Instead of doing two things bad or ok, they focused on doing one thing really good and that makes the pass easier to defend because you know it's coming. 

Plus it opens up the pass rush when you have teams at 3rd and 8+.

SaintRay and SaintsFanInLA like this

I think it's also the intangibles.  Players love playing with each other and our locker room is the only club in the NFL after a win.  Keep in mind, like Ray mentioned, the FO is lights out in draft evaluations.  I think Coach Payton builds his system to the players' strengths, not the other way around.  Then the FO accurately targets players that fit in the system. 

Iron Saint likes this

13 hours ago, Shagpill 2.0 said:

These are the same people. Below and above.  Proof? They are both trolls so who cares. Caponine probably has a spot on the Saints board so I'm not far off. 

What 

13 hours ago, Atlantafan21 said:

Teddy B was as mediocre as a QB can get. Actually, he was probably below average if were being real. Saints just unfortunately have a much better coach than we do. Their players also seem to rally together rather than quit after one loss. 

Teddy wasn't mediocre with the Vikings 

Edited by caponine

14 hours ago, Stolenn87 said:

They have a starting QB as a back up.  If you remember teddy was a pretty good QB before his injury. It just took him a few games to get back in the groove.

Like, I don't understand why people are ****ting on Teddy Bridgewater. He's a good QB that started on a playoff team. Oh and he's 2-0 against the Falcons.

Ovie_Lover and Flying Falcon like this

15 hours ago, motivation2k3 said:

I really had them being 1-5 or so without brees and us in 1st place. What the **** are they doing over there that we arent?

Maybe Drew Brees is a system Quarterback.

3 hours ago, Big_L said:

I think it's also the intangibles.  Players love playing with each other and our locker room is the only club in the NFL after a win.  Keep in mind, like Ray mentioned, the FO is lights out in draft evaluations.  I think Coach Payton builds his system to the players' strengths, not the other way around.  Then the FO accurately targets players that fit in the system. 

As good as Sean Peyton is he only has one ring. Which is how many we SHOULD have.

5 hours ago, runshoot said:

Everyone who is slobbering all over Payton in this thread... What would you have done in the four 7-9 seasons the Saints posted and looked just like our current Falcons?

Would you have fired him? They had historical bad defense. Multiple years of starting 0-4. 

I already know the answer, yes everyone here would have been calling for Paytons head. Not saying DQ needs to stay, just pointing out that things can change and change FAST.

Difference is Payton is an offensive coach and the offense was consistently good during the mediocre years. Everyone knew they just needed better players and a better coach on defense. 

Dan Quinn is a defensive coach and his defense is just as bad as the bad Saints defenses. If he's not doing anything good for the defense and he's not doing anything at all for the offense, what is he doing? 

SaintsFanInLA likes this

14 hours ago, Atlantafan21 said:

Teddy B was as mediocre as a QB can get. Actually, he was probably below average if were being real. Saints just unfortunately have a much better coach than we do. Their players also seem to rally together rather than quit after one loss. 

Mediocre QB, great RB, great defense.  It worked for Baltimore to win a few SBs

Atlantafan21 likes this

5 hours ago, FinalScore2.0 said:

Carolina is winning without their starting QB

New Orleans is winning without their starting QB

Win Brady was suspended the Patriots kept winning

Philly won the SB with Wentz on IR.

Are the Falcons set up to win without Ryan? No. Even with Ryan the team is losing.

It's a team sport.

/thread

People that don't know football throw the QB under the bus when teams are losing... they're looking at the wrong things

It's simple as this. They have an elite OC as their head coach in Payton. He has that offense humming with the best RB in football (Kamara), top Wr, and good running game. Teddy has to just manage games. 

They have an elite DC and possibly the best defensive line in all of Football. Davenport, Jordan, and their tackles are playing some sick football. We have a Dl coach as our DC and yet our Dl is the weakest link on the entire team. 

Payton is as good an offensive coach as there is the NFL.  As much as I dislike the Aints, their scheme is a thing of beauty and Payton is masterful at creating and exploiting offensive mismatches. He is levels above every Offenise coach we’ve had.

Even when the Saints were mired in 7-9 seasons and worse, and we had seasons where we were bossing the division, I never ever thought that the Saints were an automatic or easy W. When watching them against anyone I always felt that they were never out of games even when 2-3 scores down in the second half because that always had that ability to score a lot of points and do so quickly. With all offensive talent we’ve had since 2008, I’ve never thought that same way about us, except the second half of 2016.

16 hours ago, motivation2k3 said:

I really had them being 1-5 or so without brees and us in 1st place. What the **** are they doing over there that we arent?

Sean Payton is why.  He's a brilliant offensive mind, only one really close is Shanahan.