Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DirtyBird2

Seattle Coaching Tree

I think it's going to be hard to recruit a quality HC to come to Atlanta at this point.  Every coach wants a young flamethrowing QB to build a team from.  Coming to Atlanta, they are going to have to make do with some of the tools that have been in place for years, however broken they may now seem.  It's no longer the attractive franchise that everyone wants to come to.

Edited by Maltese Falcon

Pete’s coaches are emulating him not just his scheme. They talk the same way and follow the same principals which are proven to work. The issue is time. It takes a while to build a program to be a consistent winner. Carrol got it from the coaches he worked with and he come from the Walsh tree. Dan Quinn is a young head coach it’s going to take him time To fully develop his core values and tenants to build the team. If we fire. Quinn our franchise starts that process all over again. At some point you have to trust the process. If Quinn is not gone we will see a large turnover in the defense because those guys have not bought in 

6 hours ago, BlazerSlayer said:

Pagano. Thank you! What a staff.

In regards to point 1, apart from Jarrett, D Jones as Pro Bowlers, Neal, Allen and Trufant, maybe Kazee as decent players, the rest might be just average.

Aside from jarrett theyre all average

7 hours ago, DirtyBird2 said:

On a better note, Lefkoe also mentioned Drew Brees and his 3 years of being 7-9 and that nobody mentions it. He flat out said what we have all said about Brees and that a lot of his stats those 3 years we garbage time stats. Made me chuckle a bit.

Matt’s been accumulating some of those same “garbage stats” himself over the past couple seasons.

this was my main argument against Quinn when we hired him. He inherited a defense with 3-4 HOF caliber players. he didn't have to do anything besides keep calling the same **** Gus Bradley was running.

Yet Quinn learned nothing from that and let Matt Lafleur walk to bring in a guy who had no clue about what Shanahan was doing.

7 hours ago, DirtyBird2 said:

I think he's an under the radar coach, his lack of experience is concerning though. I just think we are going to run into the same issue. 

I know Riley isn't a proven NFL coach but it's hard to argue with what he's done with that team. I think the next coach signals where this team is. If it's an NFL coach we are still trying to win, he goes Riley/Moore I think the team gets blown up.

we have too many contracts on the books to blow it up. I think Blank will try to salvage the end of Ryan Julio and a blowup will come if that fails

5 hours ago, SPITFIRE said:

Pete’s coaches are emulating him not just his scheme. They talk the same way and follow the same principals which are proven to work. The issue is time. It takes a while to build a program to be a consistent winner. Carrol got it from the coaches he worked with and he come from the Walsh tree. Dan Quinn is a young head coach it’s going to take him time To fully develop his core values and tenants to build the team. If we fire. Quinn our franchise starts that process all over again. At some point you have to trust the process. If Quinn is not gone we will see a large turnover in the defense because those guys have not bought in 

Carol doesn’t come from the Walsh tree.

Sure he was the 49er DC in 95-96 but Walsh wasn’t the coach then.  I think Seifert was the HC.

26 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Carol doesn’t come from the Walsh tree.

Sure he was the 49er DC in 95-96 but Walsh wasn’t the coach then.  I think Seifert was the HC.

Right, he doesnt, but Mike Shanahan is listed and he has a similar association. Mike got most of his offensive scheme from Dan Reeves. "Smash mouth" he added zone running, and some play action and came up with his offense which is the basis of Kyles offense. So if we are attributing Kyle as running WCO he has just as much a relation to WCO as Carrol has to Walsh. However while Carrol was DC Walsh was on staff as a consultant to the 49ers and Seifert. My point still stands, he brought with him what Walsh built in SF as the basis of how he developed his coaching style. 

9 hours ago, DirtyBird2 said:

Exactly.  Next time this organization needs a vet OC/DC that has been with a team for years that has proven track records. That would even be fine if we get an inexperienced HC (really liking Riley). Just need someone with a clue as to what to do when things go south 

Those aren’t exactly floating around

9 hours ago, Pacific_Falcon said:

DQ inherited great players and just regurgitated someone else's defense and got a job he was never qualified for, because this franchise is constantly and desperately trying to mimic other successful teams, but can never replicate the formula effectively. As long as they want to keep being another team's doppleganger, the results probably are never going to be there.

This it’s like when people continue to compare the Patriots to there team.You have to bring your own identity in what you are not rinse wash repeat and hope to replicate or be better.

8 hours ago, Maltese Falcon said:

I think it's going to be hard to recruit a quality HC to come to Atlanta at this point.  Every coach wants a young flamethrowing QB to build a team from.  Coming to Atlanta, they are going to have to make do with some of the tools that have been in place for years, however broken they may now seem.  It's no longer the attractive franchise that everyone wants to come to.

I think different if your an offensive minded coach and had Julio and Ryan as your staples.Man I’m like where do I sign.

50 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

This it’s like when people continue to compare the Patriots to there team.You have to bring your own identity in what you are not rinse wash repeat and hope to replicate or be better.

This is just not true. Success in the NFL, is not something that happens by luck, its not something that happens if you just get the right players it can be created. This should be proven by the New England Patriots, SF 49ers, when you create a environment that is setup to succeed you stick with it and you will continue to have success. YOU SHOULD be trying to copy what happened in New England, just like how everyone copied what happened in SF. If you sit on the sidelines and just "do your own thing" you will not just stumble on a winning formula. You bring in new talent and coaches to try and create the environment and vision. If it fails, if it consistently fails you move on. 

3 minutes ago, SPITFIRE said:

This is just not true. Success in the NFL, is not something that happens by luck, its not something that happens if you just get the right players it can be created. This should be proven by the New England Patriots, SF 49ers, when you create a environment that is setup to succeed you stick with it and you will continue to have success. YOU SHOULD be trying to copy what happened in New England, just like how everyone copied what happened in SF. If you sit on the sidelines and just "do your own thing" you will not just stumble on a winning formula. You bring in new talent and coaches to try and create the environment and vision. If it fails, if it consistently fails you move on. 

You can use pieces of what successful franchises do for sure but you aren’t succeeding if you copy them like for like.

For starters whose our Bill Walsh Vince Lombardi Bill Belichick with the vision.

You can have success with people who have come from that tree but like for like you’ll stumble for sure.

Like when you grow you take the best pieces while establishing your own identity.

Copying NE Pittsburgh and alike you’ll be chasing the Dream never living it.

7 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

You can use pieces of what successful franchises do for sure but you aren’t succeeding if you copy them like for like.

For starters whose our Bill Walsh Vince Lombardi Bill Belichick with the vision.

You can have success with people who have come from that tree but like for like you’ll stumble for sure.

Like when you grow you take the best pieces while establishing your own identity.

Copying NE Pittsburgh and alike you’ll be chasing the Dream never living it.

Quinn is supposed to be that guy. That is the point of being a head coach. They dont just copy schemes, they need to take from start to finish how business is conducted. In fact isnt TD from that organization ? Have we not had more success since adding TD and some more "structure " to the franchise ? 

Just now, SPITFIRE said:

Quinn is supposed to be that guy. That is the point of being a head coach. They dont just copy schemes, they need to take from start to finish how business is conducted. In fact isnt TD from that organization ? Have we not had more success since adding TD and some more "structure " to the franchise ? 

Was having this very discussion in another thread.

Right now if your asking do I think DQ and TD can get us back there I don’t know.

TD has done things his own way while using his experiences from NE before.The Julio trade is one thing BB would never have done.

Is DQ thee guy for now yes but a few more bad weeks his fate is sealed.I’m not sure he’s the guy going forward he’s put his name on Beasley which I don’t mind but that’s one decision that may push him over the edge in my eyes.2 other things are discipline and in game management and the team looks unmotivated that’s on the coaches.

With these in mind having DQ as HC going forward doesn’t fill me with alot of confidence.

11 hours ago, BlazerSlayer said:

I think any coach is only as good as his players, for the most part. Dan Quinn had some great players in Seattle, so they had a great defense. Every year, coordinators on both sides of the ball get praised, but its often due to their talent on the field. Atlanta's team has been built with offense in mind- way more resources on offense than defense. I think DQ's time may be coming to an end, but I would look at a new HC who has continually had success, even with different players.

As a side note, that early 2000 Ravens team produced so many coaches- Marvin Lewis, Rex Ryan, Mike Smith, Jack Del Rio, Mike Nolan and I'm probably forgetting someone too.

Smitty. Man I miss him now.

Edited by Godzilla1985

Be mindful that "coaching trees" often have very spurious links.  Many times the link is just as a very low level, one year position coach that rarely has any direct interaction with the HC.

A true coaching tree example would be Bill Walsh serving under Paul Brown for years.  

14 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

True but here's what concerns me when it comes to college coaches that have never coached in the Pros.

1.  You don't recruit in the NFL.

2.  You're not dealing with college kids.  You can't do the same things to grown millionaires that you can with college kids.  

... and that's, as we all know, is why Nick Saban high-tailed it to Alabama.

14 hours ago, Pacific_Falcon said:

DQ inherited great players and just regurgitated someone else's defense and got a job he was never qualified for, because this franchise is constantly and desperately trying to mimic other successful teams, but can never replicate the formula effectively. As long as they want to keep being another team's doppleganger, the results probably are never going to be there.

DQ inherited Ryan and Julio. That about it. That was the end of a Dimi abyss when he got stripped.

49 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

DQ inherited Ryan and Julio. That about it. That was the end of a Dimi abyss when he got stripped.

Matthews, Schrader, Trufant, Alford, Rico, Freeman, and to a lesser extent Babineaux and Tyson Jackson, & Tolio

All played parts in the Super Bowl run