Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JDaveG

Culture of the Falcons

As for fixing it, if I'm Dan Quinn I have a meeting with Blank and TD and I say "if you want me to fix this, I need your patience.  It may cost us the season, but it will pay long-term dividends." Then I start making non-performers inactive on gameday, maybe cutting them.

You want to crap the bed, Tru?  How about you put whatever you do on your inactive days on film for other teams, because we're cutting your *** this offseason.  Until then, you can ride pine.

Takk, you want to play for the Cowboys?  Good luck, because you are going to ride the bench until your attitude and play both improve.

Beasley? You want to keep spinning around like you think you're Stevie Nicks circa 1978?  Do it from your house, because you aren't playing this Sunday either.

Are we going to win games that way?  Probably not.  Will it send a message to the other players?  Absolutely.  And I'd rather lose with scrubs who try hard than with starters who teach the younger players and backups that effort isn't really expected.

You want to fix this team?  Let Dan Quinn start busting skulls on this roster.  Let him bench and cut people.  Get out of the way and let the man have a free hand with disciplining this team.

In 1998, Dan Reeves had us playing very well, but against the Niners, our first loss I think, he cut Juran Bolden.  Now, Juran Bolden at the time was our best returner, and Reeves was criticized.  He played a rookie, Tim Dwight, in his place.  Everyone said he was tanking the season.  We went to the Super Bowl, beating the 49ers in the playoffs along the way.  Tim Dwight is a big reason why.  Sometimes you have to send a message to the team that sorry, sloppy, low effort play will not be tolerated.  That time is now.

3 minutes ago, No.11 said:

Mic drop.

But I still wonder about the coaching assistant decisions. Why did DQ promote Manuel but none of the offensive coaches? Then double down and bring back Koetter?

It's all bizarre.

I mean, Koetter could be one of those "I like the way he approaches the game" things, or it could be one of those "Mr. Blank said I had to hire you" things.

If it's the latter, no ****ing wonder it isn't working.  But I'm not sold on that.

I'm certainly not saying Quinn is above bad staffing decisions.  But the truth is, most people here think that because of Sarkisian, and I think most people here have come around to the position that Sark was never the problem.  Why would anyone think Koetter is, then?  Koetter has had a couple of games I wish he'd have done better, but the last 2 the offense has been good enough to win, while the defense plays like they want to get Quinn fired.  Ultimately, too much of this stuff smells like it has Blank's fingerprints on it, from drafting 2 o-linemen to hiring an old favorite coach to be the OC.  

Maybe I'm wrong.  But I don't think I'm wrong about the culture in any event.

You can’t judge past with today’s context. DQ has been bigger failure than MS if rest of 2019 looks like 2018. MS inherited one of the worst franchises in 2007. He and TD gave good foundation in rebuilding. DQ rode KS to SB after inheriting much better and successful roster. The next hire will be crucial, hire a good coach this team will be back in contention. 

On culture change, you need to watch Football life of BB. He tried changing the culture in CLE, too bad the owner moved the team to Baltimore and they did won SB with in 4-5 years. Ozzie Newse has said many times, we continued what BB was building. BB went on to pats and built the same culture and what he learned in CLE. 

Bill Walsh came over from Stanford to take on a pathetic SF franchise and we all know what happened.

ofcourse buck stops at the owner for hiring, but man this franchise has come long way from rankin Smith days.

1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

You can’t judge past with today’s context. DQ has been bigger failure than DQ if rest of 2019 looks like 2018. MS inherited one of the worst franchises in 2007. He and TD gave good foundation in rebuilding. DQ rode KS to SB after inheriting much better and successful roster. The next hire will be crucial, hire a good coach this team will be back in contention. 

On culture change, you need to watch Football life of BB. He tried changing the culture in CLE, too bad the owner moved the team to Baltimore and they did won SB with in 4-5 years. Ozzie Newse has said many times, we continued what BB was building. BB went on to pats and built the same culture and what he learned in CLE. 

Bill Walsh came over from Stanford to take on a pathetic SF franchise and we all know what happened.

My point is, you can't do anything with a new coaching hire when the same coddling culture will continue.  Sure, we'll be right back in contention.  For a minute.  But it will eventually regress to the mean, because the culture is what it is.

At the very least, you have to fire TD too, and get someone in charge of football operations that will tell the owner "you have to stay out of this."  If he doesn't, then the right GM will leave.  "I'm sorry Mr. Blank, but this isn't going to work out.  Good luck with your team."  What he has now are a bunch of men who do whatever he wants.  What he needs is someone who doesn't need him to tell him "you're going about this the wrong way."

3 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I mean, Koetter could be one of those "I like the way he approaches the game" things, or it could be one of those "Mr. Blank said I had to hire you" things.

If it's the latter, no ****ing wonder it isn't working.  But I'm not sold on that.

I'm certainly not saying Quinn is above bad staffing decisions.  But the truth is, most people here think that because of Sarkisian, and I think most people here have come around to the position that Sark was never the problem.  Why would anyone think Koetter is, then?  Koetter has had a couple of games I wish he'd have done better, but the last 2 the offense has been good enough to win, while the defense plays like they want to get Quinn fired.  Ultimately, too much of this stuff smells like it has Blank's fingerprints on it, from drafting 2 o-linemen to hiring an old favorite coach to be the OC.  

Quite honestly, and I know I've been beating a dead horse with this, but Koetter has been part of the problem IMO. Ryan and co is just talented enough to somewhat mask the inefficiencies Koetter's scheme has. But we have a virtually nonexistent running game and it's not as if we have a horrible O-line like in 2013. 

We're not playing complementary football, and I think part of the reason is because players aren't confident in what the coaches are running. I'm sure the players know what works best for them--I can't imagine they were thrilled to see some of these coaching decisions. 

11 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I don’t think the wanted Koetter just for who he is. I think it was a convenient culmination of factors. It was easy in that: former HC so DQ can be hands off the offense, familiar with Ryan so the learning curve shouldn’t be drastic and he has captained the falcons offense to success previously albeit with totally different philosophy and personnel save a few guys. 

I really think they ultimately wanted Kubiak because he was a Shanahan disciple with HC experience. 

It really is ridiculous for blank to come out and say Julio will be a falcon for life and we want him to be highest paid wideout... kinda undermines anything Dimitroff can say in negotiations.

How about either not commenting or simply saying that both sides are working on a deal and he hopes one can be worked out

6 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

My point is, you can't do anything with a new coaching hire when the same coddling culture will continue.  Sure, we'll be right back in contention.  For a minute.  But it will eventually regress to the mean, because the culture is what it is.

At the very least, you have to fire TD too, and get someone in charge of football operations that will tell the owner "you have to stay out of this."  If he doesn't, then the right GM will leave.  "I'm sorry Mr. Blank, but this isn't going to work out.  Good luck with your team."  What he has now are a bunch of men who do whatever he wants.  What he needs is someone who doesn't need him to tell him "you're going about this the wrong way."

TD has to go and the new coach should come in with GM. But culture is built by Coach/GM. 

Just now, falcons007 said:

TD has to go and the new coach should come in with GM. But culture is built by Coach/GM. 

If the owner stays out of the way, sure.

If the owner orders you to trade the farm for a WR after your defense just failed to force a punt for an entire game, not so much.

4 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

If the owner stays out of the way, sure.

If the owner orders you to trade the farm for a WR after your defense just failed to force a punt for an entire game, not so much.

That worked in 2012, Julio lit up the playoffs. The owner inherited one of the worst franchises, made mistakes but improved too.  And most of the franchises in NFL have same problem of success, it’s playing odds. It took 5 years for BB to be hired, no one thought in 2000 that Pats would be dynasty. 

Dave I like it but for me DQ I couldn’t trust running my team any longer.His decisions he has made hiring and firing are now under scrutiny.Put that with his in game decision making yeah nah.

SB we all know what happened but there’s been issues with in game decisions also.

I think DQ is a hands on coach and not the guy controlling your big picture type guy.

6 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Yep I’m with this aswell if a corner is to be turned yep look for a new horizon.

I have said it, DQ would be fired if he doesn’t succeed in 2019. AB isn’t playing, he fired most successful coach in franchise history after  2 failed seasons. He will fire TD too, AB isn’t getting younger. He wants to win the ring.

Dave, I’m not sure the 5 year thing is an AMB issue as much as it may just be the lifecycle of an NFL Head coach that cant sustain success. 

Arthur is widely considered a very good owner in the league. 

However, I do agree it’s time for a new GM but I don’t think TD will be fired, just like Blank didn’t fire McKay

I think you're blowing up the things that Blank does and how he effects the team. Him saying that Julio or Matt gonna be Falcons for life is just owner speak, nothing else. And is he wrong? Both Julio and Ryan have been probably the best players this franchise ever had. He isn't saying this type of **** for players like Takk, Oliver, Tru, Campbell, Vic. No, none of those players, so again, how the **** did those players get comfortable??? Blank didn't go out and say they'd be Falcons for life, no for sure not. So I think this idea of "complacent" players really should fall on TD. 

He drafted these bums along with DQ. They should have done more tests on these guys and see how they react to challenges and everything. Maybe they missed that ****? 

I think in the end this is on DQ, it seems like the players have tuned him out and don't care cause they can see he's a walking cliche like most NFL HC's. 

Our next hire needs to be half DQ and half mastermind. Be players coach but only like half the time cause as you can see, when you live by slogans and BS, the players will eventually tune you out and you get **** shows like we're witnessing.

2 minutes ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

Dave, I’m not sure the 5 year thing is an AMB issue as much as it may just be the lifecycle of an NFL Head coach that cant sustain success. 

Arthur is widely considered a very good owner in the league. 

However, I do agree it’s time for a new GM but I don’t think TD will be fired, just like Blank didn’t fire McKay

He did remove McKay in 2008 from football decisions and operations. McKay was mostly business side and stadium for a while. I don’t think TD is safe, it will depend on the new coach.

Just now, falcons007 said:

He did remove McKay in 2008 from football decisions and operations. McKay was mostly business side and stadium for a while.

Yeah. That’s what I mean. McKay basically was moved rather than fired. I think the same may be coming for TD. I don’t think he gets to select another HC. 

Just now, Butudontseeme™ said:

Yeah. That’s what I mean. McKay basically was moved rather than fired. I think the same may be coming for TD. I don’t think he gets to select another HC. 

I doubt if he has any place left. But will see.

41 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

As for fixing it, if I'm Dan Quinn I have a meeting with Blank and TD and I say "if you want me to fix this, I need your patience.  It may cost us the season, but it will pay long-term dividends." Then I start making non-performers inactive on gameday, maybe cutting them.

You want to crap the bed, Tru?  How about you put whatever you do on your inactive days on film for other teams, because we're cutting your *** this offseason.  Until then, you can ride pine.

Takk, you want to play for the Cowboys?  Good luck, because you are going to ride the bench until your attitude and play both improve.

Beasley? You want to keep spinning around like you think you're Stevie Nicks circa 1978?  Do it from your house, because you aren't playing this Sunday either.

Are we going to win games that way?  Probably not.  Will it send a message to the other players?  Absolutely.  And I'd rather lose with scrubs who try hard than with starters who teach the younger players and backups that effort isn't really expected.

You want to fix this team?  Let Dan Quinn start busting skulls on this roster.  Let him bench and cut people.  Get out of the way and let the man have a free hand with disciplining this team.

In 1998, Dan Reeves had us playing very well, but against the Niners, our first loss I think, he cut Juran Bolden.  Now, Juran Bolden at the time was our best returner, and Reeves was criticized.  He played a rookie, Tim Dwight, in his place.  Everyone said he was tanking the season.  We went to the Super Bowl, beating the 49ers in the playoffs along the way.  Tim Dwight is a big reason why.  Sometimes you have to send a message to the team that sorry, sloppy, low effort play will not be tolerated.  That time is now.

None of you guys know what's going on behind closed doors. Its simple our online and dline are trash. 

Blaming Tru for having to cover for 5 secs is ridiculous. 

Blaming Matt for never having an online that could keep a pocket for 3 seconds isn't going to help.

Fire the GM and Quinn. Bring in a coach and gm that understands the trenches