Jump to content

Do you think that players resentment towards Dan Quinn for firing Sark, Manuel and Armstrong could possibly be the problem?


Recommended Posts

I have a theory on why the players look out of sink and unmotivated. I think there is a possibility that some of the players may be upset with Quinn for firing the coordinators. Particularly the defensive coordinator as that seems to be where the major problem is. I also got the feeling Matt Ryan liked Sark based on what he said in interviews. He went out of his way to say good things about Sark. Not just typical press conference mumbo jumbo. I think that a lot of the players may have felt Quinn betrayed his coordinators. What do you guys think?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Cut anyone with that attitude. 

I mean, you’re going to get your HC fired because your sorry *** play got your DC fired?

Dumb. Not saying it isn’t the case, but if it is it’s time to clean house on defense because that’s a cancer. 

The defense was banged up last year as was Freeman and the offensive line which if 75 ℅ of those injuries don't happen they most likely make the playoffs last year saving jobs. I don't think 2016 ruined the Falcons I think 2018 ruined the Falcons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

The defense was banged up last year as was Freeman and the offensive line which if 75 ℅ of those injuries don't happen they most likely make the playoffs last year saving jobs. I don't think 2016 ruined the Falcons I think 2018 ruined the Falcons.

I believe injuries affected our 2018 season, but I also believe the players on the field have to play.  If they don't play well enough and their coordinators get fired, that's on them.  If they think they played as well as they could play and the scheme was the problem, then they shouldn't be mad about the coordinators getting fired.

If they think they just suck, well, maybe they do.

In any of those cases, quitting on your coach is stupid.  It's going to get him fired, sure, but it sure isn't going to help you find a job when you're putting this season on tape for other teams and the new coach.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, JDaveG said:

I believe injuries affected our 2018 season, but I also believe the players on the field have to play.  If they don't play well enough and their coordinators get fired, that's on them.  If they think they played as well as they could play and the scheme was the problem, then they shouldn't be mad about the coordinators getting fired.

If they think they just suck, well, maybe they do.

In any of those cases, quitting on your coach is stupid.  It's going to get him fired, sure, but it sure isn't going to help you find a job when you're putting this season on tape for other teams and the new coach.

It is stupid.  I don’t think player’s consciously do it, but subconsciously can when hearing a stale message and team continues losing. 

And yeah, you don’t want those kind of players around. This is where you find out who stays or goes for next year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Vandy said:

It is stupid.  I don’t think player’s consciously do it, but subconsciously can when hearing a stale message and team continues losing. 

And yeah, you don’t want those kind of players around. This is where you find out who stays or goes for next year.

That's why I said in the thread I started, you REALLY want to fix this?  Let Dan Quinn clean house.  Trade Takk.  Don't re-sign Beasley.  Cut Trufant.  Cull some of this dead weight.  If we have it on offense (I'm looking at you Jake Matthews and Alex Mack), then cut their sorry ***ses too.  

We might suck for a season or two, but one thing everyone on this team will know -- the owner has the coach's back and the coach isn't putting up with anyone's sorry effort and lackluster play.  

The culture is soft here.  If players are quitting on the coach because they're up in their feelings about their BFF getting fired, because they don't play hard enough, then dump the lot of them and start over.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For what it's worth, the above is exaggeration.  You could accomplish a major cultural change simply by cutting one or two "stars" who aren't performing.  I'd start with Trufant.  Maybe bench Beasley.  

Because that tells Takk "you should reconsider your effort each week -- we don't have room on this team for me-first complainers."  And if someone needs to say it out loud, have Clayborn pull him aside after practice or whatever.

The point is, a message needs to be sent.  And not to Isaiah Effing Oliver either.  To the supposed leaders of this team who aren't performing nearly up to their abilities.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

That's why I said in the thread I started, you REALLY want to fix this?  Let Dan Quinn clean house.  Trade Takk.  Don't re-sign Beasley.  Cut Trufant.  Cull some of this dead weight.  If we have it on offense (I'm looking at you Jake Matthews and Alex Mack), then cut their sorry ***ses too.  

We might suck for a season or two, but one thing everyone on this team will know -- the owner has the coach's back and the coach isn't putting up with anyone's sorry effort and lackluster play.  

The culture is soft here.  If players are quitting on the coach because they're up in their feelings about their BFF getting fired, because they don't play hard enough, then dump the lot of them and start over.

Yeah, I think you're right. It's not fair on DQ if he's doing everything he possibly can to right the ship, and the players for whatever reason just refuse to perform to standard and then AB is micromanaging. I can't remember who said it, but DQ didn't just forget how to coach.

All those people who claim 2016 was strictly Shanahan are dead wrong. They clearly forget that the defense, for its part, was making plays as well. DQ got the best out of a unit that mostly featured rookies and second year players. They remember 28-3, but forget that 7 of those 28 points was scored by the defense. They forget that there were only 4 or 5 rushing attempts total in the second half, which gave the defense little time to rest. Again, a defense with mostly rookies and second year players, was on the field for 90+ plays.

I think DQ deserves another shot. If he gets fired, that will be the third coaching change in Ryan's career. Unless the next guy is just brilliant, we're not gonna get any kind of sustained success, let alone a Super Bowl, going through coaches like people switch phones.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, No.11 said:

Yeah, I think you're right. It's not fair on DQ if he's doing everything he possibly can to right the ship, and the players for whatever reason just refuse to perform to standard and then AB is micromanaging. I can't remember who said it, but DQ didn't just forget how to coach.

All those people who claim 2016 was strictly Shanahan are dead wrong. They clearly forget that the defense, for its part, was making plays as well. DQ got the best out of a unit that mostly featured rookies and second year players. They remember 28-3, but forget that 7 of those 28 points was scored by the defense. They forget that there were only 4 or 5 rushing attempts total in the second half, which gave the defense little time to rest. Again, a defense with mostly rookies and second year players, was on the field for 90+ plays.

I think DQ deserves another shot. If he gets fired, that will be the third coaching change in Ryan's career. Unless the next guy is just brilliant, we're not gonna get any kind of sustained success, let alone a Super Bowl, going through coaches like people switch phones.

He is dead on the sideline, DQ needs to go, no one put a head on his gun to sign these players. If he can’t make the players accountable and play the ball, he is no leader of that locker room. He got his chance to clean the house in 2019, no more excuses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

That's why I said in the thread I started, you REALLY want to fix this?  Let Dan Quinn clean house.  Trade Takk.  Don't re-sign Beasley.  Cut Trufant.  Cull some of this dead weight.  If we have it on offense (I'm looking at you Jake Matthews and Alex Mack), then cut their sorry ***ses too.  

We might suck for a season or two, but one thing everyone on this team will know -- the owner has the coach's back and the coach isn't putting up with anyone's sorry effort and lackluster play.  

The culture is soft here.  If players are quitting on the coach because they're up in their feelings about their BFF getting fired, because they don't play hard enough, then dump the lot of them and start over.

I think if doing that, you gotta get a new coach. A huge part of the problem....the biggest part IMO....is him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I think if doing that, you gotta get a new coach. A huge part of the problem....the biggest part IMO....is him. 

I'd love to believe that.  And I'm not a huge Quinn fan.  I'd rather have kept Shanahan.  So I have no need to defend him personally.

My problem is I'm seeing 2014 again.  I remember it very well.  The very same quit culture.  The very same lack of effort, lack of care, lack of anything.  And I find it hard to believe that two different coaches, one of whom has a Super Bowl ring and coached in 3 out of 4 Super Bowls in a 4-year period, just forgot how to coach defense.  So if the players have quit on him, I have to ask why.  Perhaps it is something he did.  Perhaps it is his fault.  But the truth is, no coach can come into a place where this happens over and over and over and magically fix it.  Other things besides him have to change, notably the GM and the owner's role in running the organization.

Fans tend to love players and blame coaches.  To me, the players are the ones who play the game. Coaching matters, but a guy who can coach two different teams to three Super Bowls doesn't just lose all his faculties and put this garbage on the field.  There's something deeper going on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I'd love to believe that.  And I'm not a huge Quinn fan.  I'd rather have kept Shanahan.  So I have no need to defend him personally.

My problem is I'm seeing 2014 again.  I remember it very well.  The very same quit culture.  The very same lack of effort, lack of care, lack of anything.  And I find it hard to believe that two different coaches, one of whom has a Super Bowl ring and coached in 3 out of 4 Super Bowls in a 4-year period, just forgot how to coach defense.  So if the players have quit on him, I have to ask why.  Perhaps it is something he did.  Perhaps it is his fault.  But the truth is, no coach can come into a place where this happens over and over and over and magically fix it.  Other things besides him have to change, notably the GM and the owner's role in running the organization.

Fans tend to love players and blame coaches.  To me, the players are the ones who play the game. Coaching matters, but a guy who can coach two different teams to three Super Bowls doesn't just lose all his faculties and put this garbage on the field.  There's something deeper going on.

People love to talk about 2014, the team started hot but lost half of the OL in Vikings game. Heck they fought till the very end for division. The two games which got MS fired were the Lions and Browns game. That team never quit on the coach. It was decimated with injuries. I mean guys like Gabe Carimi, Toilolo playing the RT. It also had injuries on D and depleted LB roster.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I'd love to believe that.  And I'm not a huge Quinn fan.  I'd rather have kept Shanahan.  So I have no need to defend him personally.

My problem is I'm seeing 2014 again.  I remember it very well.  The very same quit culture.  The very same lack of effort, lack of care, lack of anything.  And I find it hard to believe that two different coaches, one of whom has a Super Bowl ring and coached in 3 out of 4 Super Bowls in a 4-year period, just forgot how to coach defense.  So if the players have quit on him, I have to ask why.  Perhaps it is something he did.  Perhaps it is his fault.  But the truth is, no coach can come into a place where this happens over and over and over and magically fix it.  Other things besides him have to change, notably the GM and the owner's role in running the organization.

Fans tend to love players and blame coaches.  To me, the players are the ones who play the game. Coaching matters, but a guy who can coach two different teams to three Super Bowls doesn't just lose all his faculties and put this garbage on the field.  There's something deeper going on.

Difference is 2014 was devoid of talent. This team is one of most talented in NFL. For whatever reason, the head coach’s message isn’t working. 

Time to move on. Yes, some of the players too, but Quinn has to go. Appears to me he benefited more from (like you said)  Shanny, and Pete Carroll before him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Vandy said:

Difference is 2014 was devoid of talent. This team is one of most talented in NFL. For whatever reason, the head coach’s message isn’t working. 

Time to move on. Yes, some of the players too, but Quinn has to go. Appears to me he benefited more from (like you said)  Shanny, and Pete Carroll before him. 

I'm not arguing against firing Quinn.  I'm arguing firing Quinn will get us maybe 2-4 good years before this happens again.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

He is dead on the sideline, DQ needs to go, no one put a head on his gun to sign these players. If he can’t make the players accountable and play the ball, he is no leader of that locker room. He got his chance to clean the house in 2019, no more excuses.

So he made them accountable the first three seasons, I would even venture to say four because they won the last three games of 2018 with nothing to play for, and now inexplicably the players don't feel accountable to DQ?

You lose a Super Bowl in heartbreaking fashion, become the only NFC team to return to the playoffs the following season and came within five yards of going to a second consecutive NFCCG, and now the players suddenly couldn't be bothered with DQ and whatever message he's putting out?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, No.11 said:

So he made them accountable the first three seasons, I would even venture to say four because they won the last three games of 2018 with nothing to play for, and now inexplicably the players don't feel accountable to DQ?

You lose a Super Bowl in heartbreaking fashion, become the only NFC team to return to the playoffs the following season and came within five yards of going to a second consecutive NFCCG, and now the players suddenly couldn't be bothered with DQ and whatever message he's putting out?

Exactly.  It makes zero sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...