Jump to content

South Carolina vs #3 Georgia


Carter
 Share

Recommended Posts

All I want to hear out of Kirby’s mouth right now is that they are looking at everything on coaching side - including scheme, in-game strategy, passrushing, offensive concepts, etc.

It’s not just “do more” it’s “do better”.

When I watch a Georgia game on offense, it looks we are playing in a phone booth.   We don’t make the defense defend the whole field - this is why there is no running room for long runs and no one is wide open in passing game.   Everything is too simple and too vanilla.  Watching LSU, Florida, Ohio State and Bama it looks like they are playing on a field twice as long and wide - so much open space.

It scares me to think Kirby can’t see the problem.

On Defense, the unwillingness to bring pressure either through scheme or blitz- to mix it up, is also very maddening.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone listen to Chuck Dowdle before the game? I've seen folks saying Kirby was on just after pregame warmups and when he was leaving back to the locker room he made some kind of comment like "They better get their ***** ready! We aren't ready to play!" Anyone here can confirm? I can't seem to find audio of it at the moment.

We've talked about the offensive play calling stuff. A lot of people, myself included, were never thrilled with promoting Coley to OC. If not promoting him meant losing him I was fine with it. We heard so much about how Jimbo wanted him and how he would change things up to take advantage of playmakers. @youngbloodz has been consistent for years about Coley as an OC so I was already not buying the hype.

Kirby has hired two very average OCs imo... and while I believe he certainly controls the philosophy and is very involved in game planning we see on offense, I don't think he is calling plays or overruling the OC. I just don't buy that. Chaney gave us the same results he has always had. Coley is doing the same thing he did at Miami.

What we have only talked about a little bit is this team buying into their own hype. If you watch any post game player interviews they all look shellshocked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

All I want to hear out of Kirby’s mouth right now is that they are looking at everything on coaching side - including scheme, in-game strategy, passrushing, offensive concepts, etc.

It’s not just “do more” it’s “do better”.

When I watch a Georgia game on offense, it looks we are playing in a phone booth.   We don’t make the defense defend the whole field - this is why there is no running room for long runs and no one is wide open in passing game.   Everything is too simple and too vanilla.  Watching LSU, Florida, Ohio State and Bama it looks like they are playing on a field twice as long and wide - so much open space.

It scares me to think Kirby can’t see the problem.

On Defense, the unwillingness to bring pressure either through scheme or blitz- to mix it up, is also very maddening.

It's very similar to what we're seeing with Quinn in Atlanta. We see it. Folks in the media see it. Other teams fans see it. You know opposing teams coaches see it. Why can't our coaches see it? Does Kirby not look at our O and think what he would do to stop it? Does Cooley not look at our D and think what he would do to attack it? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, richham said:

I also think it's weird that exactly a year ago we had similar meltdown to LSU although that was in Death Valley and to a much better team.

We kept trying to tell the alabama fan a few weeks in another thread we will.have at least one game per year we implode and lose..  Usually its a road sec west game..   I am very worried about the rest of the schedule. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

Dropped to number 10 in the AP poll...:(

Figured we would still be top 10. We still control our destiny. Team is gonna have to play a whole lot better than they did Saturday though. Zero margin for error now, even with Florida losing.

Edited by Carter
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is what disturbs me about this staff!

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27829863/georgia-bulldogs-take-big-college-football-playoff-hit-inexplicable-loss-south-carolina

It was pretty simple, really," Smart explained, thumping himself on the chest to make sure everyone knew he was speaking of himself just as much as he was his players and staff. "There was a team here today that showed up ready to go, mentally and emotionally. That team was not us."

We did figure out a way to get back into the game," Smart continued. "But you can't keep pushing your luck like that and always expect to bail yourself out."

Those comments felt familiar. So did the performance. It was 364 days ago that Georgia laid a similar offensive egg, then nearly rallied during a gigantic top-10 matchup at LSU. But just like in that 36-16 loss in Baton Rouge, the struggles of quarterback Jake Fromm and his teammates were only partially self-inflicted. The South Carolina defense was stifling, keeping Georgia's third-year starter and his much-hyped offensive line off-balance all afternoon. The Gamecocks intercepted him three times. The last time Fromm threw multiple interceptions was in that 2018 LSU game. The first of those interceptions, his first career pick-six, was the difference in the ballgame. Fromm hurled a personal-high 51 pass attempts, the offense stubbornly trying to stretch the field in the first half.

There should be no reason why this team is not prepared to start and finish a game strongly!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

There should be no reason why this team is not prepared to start and finish a game strongly!!

Especially at home. 

To Kirby’s credit, he has not made any excuses. It’s just an unacceptable result. And if the reports of his comments on air with Chuck Dowdle just before the game are accurate, he was fully aware that the team was not up for this game.

I mean I can understand and talk about the difficulty of getting a bunch of college kids ranked #3 in the country motivated to play a noon game against 2-3 South Carolina... seems about like herding cats with limited time constraints... but ultimately that is a big part of what he gets paid millions to do. And the player leadership should be nipping that kind of stuff in the bud because the coaches only have so much time with the team.

We are all tired of the come to Jesus moments being a baked in part of each season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Carter said:

Especially at home. 

To Kirby’s credit, he has not made any excuses. It’s just an unacceptable result. And if the reports of his comments on air with Chuck Dowdle just before the game are accurate, he was fully aware that the team was not up for this game.

I mean I can understand and talk about the difficulty of getting a bunch of college kids ranked #3 in the country motivated to play a noon game against 2-3 South Carolina... seems about like herding cats with limited time constraints... but ultimately that is a big part of what he gets paid millions to do. And the player leadership should be nipping that kind of stuff in the bud because the coaches only have so much time with the team.

We are all tired of the come to Jesus moments being a baked in part of each season.

Rat poison is real

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Carter said:

Especially at home. 

To Kirby’s credit, he has not made any excuses. It’s just an unacceptable result. And if the reports of his comments on air with Chuck Dowdle just before the game are accurate, he was fully aware that the team was not up for this game.

I mean I can understand and talk about the difficulty of getting a bunch of college kids ranked #3 in the country motivated to play a noon game against 2-3 South Carolina... seems about like herding cats with limited time constraints... but ultimately that is a big part of what he gets paid millions to do. And the player leadership should be nipping that kind of stuff in the bud because the coaches only have so much time with the team.

We are all tired of the come to Jesus moments being a baked in part of each season.

Totally agree and going forward for this team to reach that championship level Kirby and the team as a whole will have to exhibit some accountability!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the problem with the playcalling is rhythm and timing. Everything always seems to feel forced. There’s no rhythm and no flow. I remember the same feelings early in Bobo’s tenure. I think his success came when he was able to get a feel for game rhythm because his philosophy and playbook never changed. IMO that “feel” or instinct is what makes a play caller great. 

I think Kirby has the same issue with flow and rhythm and it presents with his decisions to be aggressive or conservative in big moments. If you’re not born with it, that feel takes time to develop. Kirby is still a young coach but he’s got to reflect on his philosophy and results and makes some changes.

Our other big problem, as others have said, is playing in a phone booth. Whether it’s running up the middle or making contested throws. We have too many athletes to not have guys running open in space at least 8-10 times a game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, sdogg said:

Rat poison is real

It is very real and Bama has been a victim of it several times. 

A lot of people like to give  Saban a hard time about his rat poison tirades,  but he goes after his players and the media for a reason.

He went off yesterday about all this talk about tanking for Tua and him being the #1 pick. He veins were popping!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Part of it is definitely coaching, part of it is players not performing. If every player wins their one on one battles you can beat anyone with any style. Maybe they looked around and saw all these 4 and 5* players and thought no one can beat them. Who knows, but a well coached team should not have these types of melt downs yearly with this type of talent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Carter said:

Especially at home. 

To Kirby’s credit, he has not made any excuses. It’s just an unacceptable result. And if the reports of his comments on air with Chuck Dowdle just before the game are accurate, he was fully aware that the team was not up for this game.

I saw you ask about this earlier.  I listened to the first half on the radio, and Dowdle did say just before kickoff that Kirby said something to the effect of "we're not ready" before the team went into the locker room. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, UAB_DAWG said:

I think the problem with the playcalling is rhythm and timing. Everything always seems to feel forced. There’s no rhythm and no flow. I remember the same feelings early in Bobo’s tenure. I think his success came when he was able to get a feel for game rhythm because his philosophy and playbook never changed. IMO that “feel” or instinct is what makes a play caller great. 

I think Kirby has the same issue with flow and rhythm and it presents with his decisions to be aggressive or conservative in big moments. If you’re not born with it, that feel takes time to develop. Kirby is still a young coach but he’s got to reflect on his philosophy and results and makes some changes.

Our other big problem, as others have said, is playing in a phone booth. Whether it’s running up the middle or making contested throws. We have too many athletes to not have guys running open in space at least 8-10 times a game. 

Well late in the game we had guys in space and Fromm either never looked to that side or he threw it behind the crosser.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fromm had a very terrible game and as much as I love the guy it's something that needs to be talked about.

There were instances of receivers breaking open on their routes as Jake threw to a covered receiver. There were instances of pass plays continuously being ran with out routes going into DBs playing outside leverage.

The easy adjustment would have been to go with quick slants or crosses, but that didn't happen... and the few times we sent receivers over the middle, Jake missed more often than not.

We actually moved the ball on several drives but killed it with mistakes. Was it just an off day for him? I mean the playcalling has been more bad than good. Coley has not been completely terrible. But taken altogether he has been very mediocre. Andrew Thomas was asked about Fromm after the game and said Jake did what he has been coached to do, checking into runs. So some of those runs up the middle may have in fact been plays Fromm checked into. No way of knowing without a full film analysis that I'm just not going to do.

Our guy needs to step up his game. I still think he is a great QB and plenty capable of leading the team where we want to go. He definitely had a terrible game against South Carolina though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Man, living in Louisiana, I have a lot of people asking me what happened to UGA Saturday? I shake my head and the only thing that I think of while watching that game was they looked like Zombies playing. No energy, un-inspired, just going through the motions and wishing for a good out come. I really don't know what to say after watching LSU create Cadillac sized holes for their backs to run through and nothing but energy demonstrated on the field. :huh:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Wardog357 said:

Man, living in Louisiana, I have a lot of people asking me what happened to UGA Saturday? I shake my head and the only thing that I think of while watching that game was they looked like Zombies playing. No energy, un-inspired, just going through the motions and wishing for a good out come. I really don't know what to say after watching LSU create Cadillac sized holes for their backs to run through and nothing but energy demonstrated on the field. :huh:

There’s always that one game we just don’t play well in for whatever reason it is. This year maybe just so happened to be a 2-3 South Carolina team. I hope anyway. Hope we don’t see that kind of piss poor game again. We’re obviously not as bad as we looked Saturday. Perhaps more importantly to note though is we’re maybe just not as good as we thought.

Tough pill to swallow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...