Carter

South Carolina vs #3 Georgia

979 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, Dawgfanbrock said:

Agree on pitman lot of talent but they ol doesn’t get much push or open holes- just think we are struggling in the coaching dept aside from recruiting 

Nope. We're not allowing the RB's to get to the second level, where they can do their things. 

50 minutes ago, WOR said:

I might be remembering incorrectly but I swear this exact same thing happened at Arkansas. 

They had a giant *** OLine like ours that was the talk of college football and they went like 7-6

Yep

1 hour ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

No lies detected.

You can win like that even today. Georgia didn't lose the game today because of the style of offense they play. They lost because of turnovers. You're not gonna win very often when you turn the ball over 4 times.

mike teevee and SacFalcFan like this

1 minute ago, sdogg said:

Yep

Look like Tarzan, play like Jane.  I don't want to hear talk about us having a top-tier O-line again until they prove that they are significantly better than this.  On paper they are, but they sure don't seem to impose their will like you might think

1 minute ago, PK Manley said:

Look like Tarzan, play like Jane.  I don't want to hear talk about us having a top-tier O-line again until they prove that they are significantly better than this.  On paper they are, but they sure don't seem to impose their will like you might think

Exactly!! I got immediately worried during the Vandy game. I was hoping it was just a first game thing. 

9 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

You can win like that even today. Georgia didn't lose the game today because of the style of offense they play. They lost because of turnovers. You're not gonna win very often when you turn the ball over 4 times.

Vs as 2-3 SC team, sure, but this play calling won't give them a chance vs a playoff-caliber opponent

15 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Yep.. I remember a few years ago Alabama lost to ole miss due to a bunch of turnovers.  

4 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

Vs as 2-3 SC team, sure, but this play calling won't give them a chance vs a playoff-caliber opponent

Doesn't matter what kind of play calling or what style of offense you run, turnovers will lose games period. That's the way football works. Georgia actually had plenty of success running the ball but then for some reason would get away from it and put themselves in bad situations where they were forced to pass and it allowed South Carolina's defense to pin their ears back and get all over Fromm and force bad throws and turnovers. The bad play calling had nothing to do with a conservative style of offense.

4 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Doesn't matter what kind of play calling or what style of offense you run, turnovers will lose games period. That's the way football works. Georgia actually had plenty of success running the ball but then for some reason would get away from it and put themselves in bad situations where they were forced to pass and it allowed South Carolina's defense to pin their ears back and get all over Fromm and force bad throws and turnovers. The bad play calling had nothing to do with a conservative style of offense.

I know how football works, but thanks.  I've said as much about turnovers in this thread already, but it's not just about today's game.  The play calling is garbage and I was even complaining about it while we beat a top 10 team in Notre Dame.  If you want to focus on this game and say it's not the primary reason we lost, that's fine, but it's missing the forest for the trees when it comes to this team right now.

3 minutes ago, WOR said:

I just don't know how we got to a place where LSU innovated before we did. 

Yep. And Kirby's former boss evolved. 

5 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

I know how football works, but thanks.  I've said as much about turnovers in this thread already, but it's not just about today's game.  The play calling is garbage and I was even complaining about it while we beat a top 10 team in Notre Dame.  If you want to focus on this game and say it's not the primary reason we lost, that's fine, but it's missing the forest for the trees when it comes to this team right now.

I agreed that the play calling today was bad and has probably been bad in Georgia's other games this year. I can't comment on the other games because today is the first time I've watched Georgia play this year. My only point is bad play calling has nothing to do with how aggressive or conservative an offense is. Basically I'm seeing folks saying that you can't win a NC with an ultra conservative style of offense and I disagree. You can still win like that, it just makes your margin for error exactly zero because you lack the explosiveness to overcome turnovers.

7 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

I was about to post the same thing. Even Ed F'ing Ogeron has figured it out.

It's maddening. 

I don't dislike Kirby. I think he's great. 

I think he could have tremendous success. We're a couple of small changes away from being on the level of Clemson and Bama. 

I think he will figure it out eventually, but at the same time, we've had 3 or 4 times where being ridiculously conservative has killed us and nothing changes. :shrug:

sdogg and Gritzblitz 2.0 like this

16 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

I was about to post the same thing. Even Ed F'ing Ogeron has figured it out.

Yep. Smh

I agreed that the play calling today was bad and has probably been bad in Georgia's other games this year. I can't comment on the other games because today is the first time I've watched Georgia play this year. My only point is bad play calling has nothing to do with how aggressive or conservative an offense is. Basically I'm seeing folks saying that you can't win a NC with an ultra conservative style of offense and I disagree. You can still win like that, it just makes your margin for error exactly zero because you lack the explosiveness to overcome turnovers.

Exactly. 

And that's where my issue lies. The margin for error is this offense is literally zero. 

That's just an unrealistic expectation in this day and age. Just go back to the 2 games against Alabama. 

From Georgia's perspective, the second something goes wrong or the conservative stuff stops working its 3 and out after 3 and out. 

From Alabamas perspective(what I wish we'd be), there offense in both first halves was atrocious with turnovers and general ineffectiveness, but their offense was still explosive enough to come back eventually. 

I fear the only time Kirbys conservative style can keep up with the current landscape/make up for mistakes is if they're playing an absolutely atrocious defense. Like Oklahoma. I just don't see many teams left in CFB that will allow you to just run it rampant for 30 points in a half on the biggest stage. That hope died when the Big 12 learned to play defense. Somewhat. 

Beef likes this

2 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

You're a fan of Georgia sports teams.  Would you really want one to go with a strategy that requires nothing to go wrong in the big games? 

We don't need a spread offense. 

But Jesus open it up just a *tad* to give yourself some room so you're not constantly praying for an 80 yard run or be stuck *having* to perfect a 10 play 80 yard drive every single time to get points. 

That's just so much to ask for an offense against the elite of the elite(see second halves against Bama). 

3 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

You're a fan of Georgia sports teams.  Would you really want one to go with a strategy that requires nothing to go wrong in the big games? 

I honestly go back and forth with it. Sometimes I wish the Falcons were more like the Chiefs and then there's other times I find myself longing for the Smittyball days. There's pros and cons to both of them. Personally, I think I lean more towards the Smittyball style of offense because I love a power running game and hard nosed defense. I'd love to win a Super Bowl with the blueprint the 2000 Ravens used. That IMO is more enjoyable than a game like the Falcons lost last Sunday that was 53-32. I can enjoy those type of games if they're not my team, but when it comes to my team I don't wanna see that.

5 minutes ago, WOR said:

We don't need a spread offense. 

But Jesus open it up just a *tad* to give yourself some room so you're not constantly praying for an 80 yard run or be stuck *having* to perfect a 10 play 80 yard drive every single time to get points. 

That's just so much to ask for an offense against the elite of the elite(see second halves against Bama). 

Yeah, I think that's what a lot hoped with Coley, and yet it seems even more conservative.  I just don't get it if this was supposed to be the plan.  Let Fields walk because Fromm is your guy and then neuter him.  I thought we were trying to progress and get over the hump.

I honestly go back and forth with it. Sometimes I wish the Falcons were more like the Chiefs and then there's other times I find myself longing for the Smittyball days. There's pros and cons to both of them. Personally, I think I lean more towards the Smittyball style of offense because I love a power running game and hard nosed defense. I'd love to win a Super Bowl with the blueprint the 2000 Ravens used. That IMO is more enjoyable than a game like the Falcons lost last Sunday that was 53-32. I can enjoy those type of games if they're not my team, but when it comes to my team I don't wanna see that.

Well, we've already tried a better version of this approach and it let us down when it mattered most twice.  Call me crazy for wanting to try something different when we have an NFL-caliber quarterback

30 minutes ago, WOR said:

It's maddening. 

I don't dislike Kirby. I think he's great. 

I think he could have tremendous success. We're a couple of small changes away from being on the level of Clemson and Bama. 

I think he will figure it out eventually, but at the same time, we've had 3 or 4 times where being ridiculously conservative has killed us and nothing changes. :shrug:

It's taking way too long to figure it out. These other teams are passing us by why he tries to figure it out

2 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Smittyball eventually stops working. Whether it's an entire game or just a half. 

Being one dimensional is bad. 

What I think Kirbys problem(and kind of what you're describing as well) is he lives in the mid 2000s early 2010s. Where Bama could run it 50 times and just beat teams up. That just doesn't work anymore at the highest levels. Your competition is no longer an Oregon or Oklahoma who has a trash defense. It's well rounded teams like Clemson who can stop you and then throw a 75 yard bomb on you. You can't dominate them for 4 quarters. They're too dynamic on both sides. You have to be dynamic on both sides too. 

I figured Kirby would have learned that by now having witnessed it first hand twice. But alas. 

Playing like the Tennessee Titans is not a recipe for success across the board. It's good against certain teams and kills you against others.