Nino11

Prime Candidates For The Purge

123 posts in this topic

Going by the numbers on Spotrac, the 2020 Cap is -$6,480,019 in the hole. So notable names being cut are a given. Here’s who I see getting the ax.

Good as Gone 

Luke Stocker: Probably will be the first cut. Cutting him will net $2.6 million in cap space. Hasn’t wowed or done horrible but it’s a numbers game.

Ty Sambralio: Didn’t get the resign at the time as I still remember the game Beasley had against him but cutting him nets $3.75 million, $4.75 if designated as a Post June 1st cut 

Allen Bailey: Hasn’t played horrible but at this point if you aren’t locked in with a Rookie year or big guaranteed deal on this defense your probably won’t be playing for the Falcons next year. Will create $4.5 million in cap space 

Matt Schaub: With Benkert the Great coming into his own the past preseason (slightly) Schaub becomes expendable. He will probably retire before he’s cut but either way I think he’s gone. Creates $2 million in cap space. 

Assuming these cut happens, this would leave the Falcons with about $6 million in cap space after climbing out the -$6 million hole. Now the tough decisions come. 

On the Bubble

Mohammed Sanu: Would hate to see him go honestly. Plays with heart and swagger, something every team needs but the Falcons especially. Would love for him to play out the last year of his deal, however cutting him would net $6.5 million in cap space. 

Devonta Freeman: Some would argue Freeman is as good as gone, I don’t agree. I think he has plenty left in the tank. He’s only 27 and showed he can be one of the best dual threat backs in the lead when showcased and not locked into a timeshare. Cutting him would only make sense as a Post June 1st cut in 2020. Other wise his $6 million in dead money will hurt in 2021 with trying to resign our own as well as anything in Free agency. If he’s cut next year it would create $6.5 million in cap space.

Long Shot

Alex Mack: By far our best offensive lineman, Mack has been the anchor since he signed. While an intergal piece of our Super Bowl run, Mack is getting long in the tooth. I would love to see him grind a couple more years out like MudDuck McClure, but retirement is a strong possibility next year. After surviving a lot of bad Cleveland teams, I don’t know if he will be ready for another rebuild. Even less likely is it that the Falcons would actually cut him if he still wants to play. Either way, Mack not suiting up would create $8 million in cap space. 

Takk McKinely: Yes I know the Falcons won’t be cutting Takk. But the trade speculation is something to be monitored. While people make a big deal about nothing with players activity on social media, I think theres some fire to the smoke here of Takk wanting to be traded. He’s not exactly setting the league on fire and the Falcons could opp to scrub the slate clean at DE by letting Beasley walk (likely) and trading Takk away

Ricardo Allen: Dont see it happening at all, but if a new staff comes in a lot of vets fall victim to the purge. Ricardo is a glue guy and does a lot of things the average fan doesn’t pick up on. He sets the defense in plays and acts like a safety in being the last line of defense and cleanup guy. If he’s cut it would create $3 million in space with a $4 million dead cap hit, or as a Post June cut $5 million in space with $2 million dead cap hits spread over the next so years. 

2 minutes ago, Nino11 said:

Devonta Freeman: Some would argue Freeman is as good as gone, I don’t agree. I think he has plenty left in the tank. He’s only 27 and showed he can be one of the best dual threat backs in the lead when showcased and not locked into a timeshare. Cutting him would only make sense as a Post June 1st cut in 2020. Other wise his $6 million in dead money will hurt in 2021 with trying to resign our own as well as anything in Free agency. If he’s cut next year it would create $6.5 million in cap space.

?

Do you mean in 2017 or this year because he hasn't produced in the last 2 years.

vitaman and caponine like this

10 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

In before some dumb *** says Julio or Matt

I think Mart Ryans and SHO (Shiny Hood Ornament that is Julia Jonies) are prime candidates to get the axe because they're paid too much, this team isn't getting the results as hoped for, and both should be leaders on this team. Anytime you're 1-4 then the expected leaders of this team are about as good as gone. Neither can fulfill the Michael Bennett role either. 

Just now, CTann said:

I think Mart Ryans and SHO (Shiny Hood Ornament that is Julia Jonies) are prime candidates to get the axe because they're paid too much, this team isn't getting the results as hoped for, and both should be leaders on this team. Anytime you're 1-4 then the expected leaders of this team are about as good as gone. Neither can fulfill the Michael Bennett role either. 

:lol::lol:

I had already started doing this lol

As of now, the Falcons have $10,579,772 in cap space per the NFLPA website. Not sure the variance in the numerous sites, but I'd be willing to move forward with NFLPA over any other site: https://www.nflpa.com/public-salary-cap-report

As such, this rollover cap space puts us with just over $4MM in cap space for 2020. I agree largely with the cuts the OP is suggesting:

Sambrailo, Stocker, and Schaub are gone. That's $8.35MM in cap cleared = $12.35MM

Sanu is most likely gone and Freeman should be right behind him. That's another $10MM in space = $22.35MM

Here's the controversial cut that needs to happen....

Desmond Trufant. Right now, Trufant is not living up to the billing of his contract. He's paid the 7th highest average salary for a CB in the NFL. 7th. Yet, he's routinely beat and looks consistently average. He's a maxed out player, so he's not getting any better any time soon. Cutting him would only save $5MM in 2020, but cutting him is about the future, clearing $30MM in cap hits in '21 and '22. 

That puts you around $27MM in cap space without any other cuts. You could cut Bailey no problem and save another $4.5MM. You can extend Mack another year and save on his cap hit. You can extend Neal for very cheap and save more money. Various restructures can happen. 

But we're not in cap heIl. Those guys aren't providing the value to a rebuilding team. Sambrailo, Stocker, and Schaub don't play relatively speaking. Freeman has been lapped by Ito so he's already been replaced in house. Sanu is a #3 WR being paid like a high end #2 still. I could live with all of those cuts for nearly $30MM in cap space, a new HC, and a top seven pick. 

gazoo, kiwifalcon, Nino11 and 11 others like this

It’s too early and will depend on the new coach.

Going by the numbers is what got this team in trouble. Going by the heart, fight and competitiveness I will keep Sanu. Freeman is most likely gone barring a crazy run for rest of the season.

Domed Outter likes this

1 minute ago, vel said:

As of now, the Falcons have $10,579,772 in cap space per the NFLPA website. Not sure the variance in the numerous sites, but I'd be willing to move forward with NFLPA over any other site: https://www.nflpa.com/public-salary-cap-report

As such, this rollover cap space puts us with just over $4MM in cap space for 2020. I agree largely with the cuts the OP is suggesting:

Sambrailo, Stocker, and Schaub are gone. That's $8.35MM in cap cleared = $12.35MM

Sanu is most likely gone and Freeman should be right behind him. That's another $10MM in space = $22.35MM

Desmond Trufant. Right now, Trufant is not living up to the billing of his contract. He's paid the 7th highest average salary for a CB in the NFL. 7th. Yet, he's routinely beat and looks consistently average. He's a maxed out player, so he's not getting any better any time soon. Cutting him would only save $5MM in 2020, but cutting him is about the future, clearing $30MM in cap hits in '21 and '22. 

That puts you around $27MM in cap space without any other cuts. You could cut Bailey no problem and save another $4.5MM. You can extend Mack another year and save on his cap hit. You can extend Neal for very cheap and save more money. Various restructures can happen. 

But we're not in cap heIl. Those guys aren't providing the value to a rebuilding team. Sambrailo, Stocker, and Schaub don't play relatively speaking. Freeman has been lapped by Ito so he's already been replaced in house. Sanu is a #3 WR being paid like a high end #2 still. I could live with all of those cuts for nearly $30MM in cap space, a new HC, and a top seven pick. 

Yea all in all, it's not the worst position to be in. Heck decent coaching would do wonders for our team as is. 

vel and Schwarzwald like this

22 minutes ago, vel said:

That’s a lot of Dead money to carry though. Plus it creates a hole at CB. I don’t think you find someone better without paying a lot more then he’s paid 

41 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

In before some dumb *** says Julio or Matt

I don’t think people realize how unrealistic that is. This is really the only place I can come to talk Falcons football being up here in Ohio and the bellyaching gets old fast 

Rings and ya_boi_j like this

3 minutes ago, Nino11 said:

I don’t think people realize how unrealistic that is. This is really the only place I can come to talk Falcons football being up here in Ohio and the bellyaching gets old fast 

That’s the problem. They actually don’t realize it

45 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

?

Do you mean in 2017 or this year because he hasn't produced in the last 2 years.

2015-17. He was hurt last year. 

ya_boi_j likes this

1 minute ago, jamesmasen said:

Free, sambrillo, Allen b, Sanu, Campbell, Mack, tru are pry all gone imo 

How come? In your opinion

9 minutes ago, Nino11 said:

How come? In your opinion

Free is always hurt and isn't the same player obviously.. plus we have alot of rbs.. Sanu we tried to trade this off-season and isn't being used plus we have development wrs ready for a shot.. Allen B will be gone that's ez guess.. Tru hasn't played to his contract whatsoever, Mack is the only bubble player here imo

2 minutes ago, jamesmasen said:

. Sanu we tried to trade this off-season

There is no legit proof to that at all outside of a tweet from someone outside of any organization in the NFL. 

Optimus_Cr1m35 likes this

Posted (edited)

If we DO NOT keep Sanu, that tells you all you need to know!!

Say bye to Foot massage Freeman, Used to Be money Matt Bryant, Bosher should be axed yesterday, Mack used to be, Trutrash, Cowgirl nut rider Tak w/ a Tick,  Dik Weasley.

jesus this team needs a ton of change!!

Edited by SoldMySoul

43 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Yea all in all, it's not the worst position to be in. Heck decent coaching would do wonders for our team as is. 

Decent coaching and this team is 4-1. Maybe undefeated. This roster is not worse than the Titans or Colts. No way. They could have beat the Vikings but played the most inept game they could there too. 

1 minute ago, vel said:

Decent coaching and this team is 4-1. Maybe undefeated. This roster is not worse than the Titans or Colts. No way. They could have beat the Vikings but played the most inept game they could there too. 

Dayum 4-1 easy!!! With a solid D 4-1!!

22 minutes ago, Nino11 said:

That’s a lot of Dead money to carry though. Plus it creates a hole at CB. I don’t think you find someone better without paying a lot more then he’s paid 

You'll carry dead cap in a rebuild. That's part of it. But when you look at the cap savings in 21 and 22, it's worth it. 

In terms of better at CB, that's the wrong way to look at it. You're paying him $15MM in 2020, a top five cap hit on the team, and is not providing value. It's the same thing with Vic. Paying him $13MM this year for what? A bunch of nothing. Could have had a third rounder and $13MM in cap space this past offseason.