Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jayu70

2019 Preseason - Game #3 at Heat 10/14/19

51 posts in this topic

Trey Young looked good.  Collins looked horrible, Cam Reddish looked lost.  They were crashing the boards all night too.  We have a long ways to go.

Rookies getting their sea legs!

Two exhibition games aren’t enough for rookies to master anything, but it’s been enough for Hawks rookies Reddish, De’Andre Hunter and Bruno Fernando to get their feet under them and start adapting to the NBA. 

For Reddish, who scored 11 points in Monday’s loss to the Pelicans, but was held to 1-for-7 from the field against the Magic (playing with a 15-minute cap in both games), his defensive efforts have stood out the most so far to coach Lloyd Pierce, who said Reddish isn’t ready to have the ball in his hands much yet, but is a good catch-and-shoot player right now. 

“I thought his defense has been great,” Pierce said. “He’s very active, not always in the right spot, but he can make up for it. That’s a skill in and of itself for the guys in this league. … He had five (missed) 3’s in the game, never really got in rhythm. We’ll be alright with him. I’m more encouraged with what he’s able to do defensively and how much ground he’s able to cover.” 

Fernando struggled in his debut vs. the Pelicans, tallying four points, three rebounds and four turnovers. But he looked much sharper Wednesday, pulling down six rebounds to go with five points (including a 3-pointer) and zero turnovers. 

“You know when you go to a new job your first day and you try to impress your boss, your coworkers and everybody?” Fernando said. “It’s kind of like you don’t want to allow yourself to make a mistake. I think that was what it was with me first game. As soon as I got on the court, it’s kind of like I tried to rush myself into everything, trying to be perfect, not allowing myself to make a mistake.” 

The biggest thing for Fernando, who has the potential to become a good passer, is to stay centered and communicate more. 

“Bruno’s doing well,” Pierce said. “He’s starting to talk, breathing when he’s on the court. He made a couple great passes today out of the pick-and-roll. John (Collins is) the guy you see finishing on the pick and roll, Bruno’s the guy you’re going to see passing. He’s got a really good ability to kick out.” 

As far as Hunter? 

As Pierce puts it, “De’Andre is De’Andre.” Hunter has looked the most comfortable and regular-season game-ready so far, and has shown he’s not just a 3-point shooter and defensive-minded player. He’s indicated he can put the ball on the floor and get to the rim, with the build (6-foot-7, 225 pounds) to battle bigger defenders. 

I know this is a young team, I watched bits of a couple of pre season games, seem we hold for a half then get blown out.

Is this what we should expect for the season? A very miserable year for GA sports, does anyone think the Hawks will be good enough to enjoy this year?

Complete game - yes for the most part, still had a few too many empty possessions.

Limit TOs - check, 11 TOs, 23 assists. ZERO for Trae

Play defense - much better all around, Vince is yelling at these guys who are out of position quite often, I'm hopeful it'll get better as the season progresses. 9 steals, 4 blocks.

3 ball  - Thanks to old man Vince, the rest not so much. 

Rookies - played well, too timid in the closing minutes, they'll learn.

Bench - Vince, Parker, Bruno and yes even Bembry missing 90 thousand bunnies, his defense and hustle was needed. He just needs to understand his hustle isn't needed on offense, just slow down a bit.

Rebound - won the battle.

blkbigdog35 likes this

Hunter is looking like a seasoned vet already. I think he might have a Trae-like rookie season. Hunter may start off a little slow as he adjusts to the NBA speed of the game, but by the All-Star game he'll figure it out and his numbers will jump.

jayu70 likes this

Just glad the regular season is almost here. We have looked good at times and not so good at other times. Not safe to really take much from any preseason game IMO, but the Knicks one was the only one where Collins and Trae played more than 30 minutes and we won that one sooooo…. Still kind of hard to tell much from the preseason especially since the minutes weren't great

I think this will be an exciting team that can battle for the 8 seed. 

jayu70 likes this