Smiler11

Head Coaching Candidates

136 posts in this topic

I'm not here to debate if Dan Quinn should stay or not (there is plenty of threads for that), but if DQ and the Falcons were to part ways what Head Coaching Candidates are out there that could potentially take over? 

Here are a few of mine:

The Guys with NFL Experience

Greg Olsen, Offensive Coordinator, Oakland Raiders

Olson has 12 years experience as an NFL offensive coordinator, with stints at the Detroit Lions, St. Louis/Los Angeles Rams, Jacksonville Jaguars, and Oakland Raiders. Maybe an under the radar type guy, as his offenses have always been middle of the road, but when you dig a little deeper and look at the talent he has had available to him, his body of work speaks for itself. Marc Bulger, Josh Freeman, Derek Carr, and Blake Bortles each enjoyed his respective best season under Olson. Prior to, and in between his stints as an offensive coordinator he also served as the QB coach of the 2001 49ers (under Steve Mariucci and Greg Knapp) and was the QB coach for the Rams in 2017  (under McVay and Matt LeFleur). This year, whilst the Raiders are hardly pulling up trees, Derek Carr is playing some of the most efficient football of his career and the running game under Josh Jacobs is 9th in the NFL with 134 yards per game at an impressive 4.9 per carry. The offensive game plan against the Bears yesterday was especially impressive - running on the vaunted defense to the tune of 169 yards and 3 rushing TD's.

Pro’s – lots of NFL experience, somewhat of a QB guru, worked under a wealth of different offensive minds

Con’s – only 1 top 10 offense in his 12 years as an offensive coordinator

Jim Harbaugh, Head Coach, Michigan

Harbaugh hasn't had the success expected of him at Michigan - sure, the Wolverines are better than they were prior to Harbaugh taking over, but they have yet to win a Big Ten championship or beat Ohio State. He was however able to turn the 49ers around (44/19/1), after years of mediocrity (no winning season in the previous 9 years). He did that with Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick at the helm. He was also a key influence on the early career of Andrew Luck at Stanford, going 11-1 in his final season at Stanford (their only loss coming to Chip Kelly's Oregon who to the NC game) - Luck was the runner up in the Heisman trophy to RG3.

Pro's - NFL experience, had relative success everywhere he has coached, known for a pro-style hard nosed brand of football

Con's - may be better suited to college football at this point

Shane Waldron, Passing Game Coordinator, LA Rams

Another disciple of Sean McVay - he came over to the Rams with McVay after serving as an offensive quality control coach with the Redskins in 2016. After the success of Matt LeFleur and Zac Taylor, Waldron could be the next in line for a big gig. He has learned from McVay over the course of the past three years and did serve as a quality control coach with the Patriots in 2008 as well. So, he has experience under Bill Belichick which could be appealing.

Pro's - comes from the Sean McVay tree, played a part in the development of Jared Goff.

Con's - Goff and that offense haven't been firing on all cylinders since Taylor left for the Bengals job, no experience as a HC or calling plays

Josh McDaniels, Offensive Coordinator, New England Patriots

His resume in NE speaks for itself - 7 straight AFC title games, 4 super bowls and 3 rings. That Patriot offense has had to retool and evolve multiple times over that period, always remaining one of the most potent in football. of course there will always say that the success is down to Brady or Belicheck.

Pro's - known as an offensive guru, shown an ability to adapt, one of the most winning-est offensive coordinators in the history of football

Con's - his HC experience with the Broncos was somewhat of a car crash, teams may be wary after the Colts debacle.

Dan Campbell, Assistant Head Coach, New Orleans Saints

Former NFL tight end, under Bill Parcells. Spent the last 4 years with the Saints, serving as the assistant head coach and tight ends coach. He also has head coaching experience, stepping in as interim HC after the Dolphins fired Joe Philbin in 2015. Campbell led the team to a 5-7 record after they started 1-3 under Philbin, with Tannehill playing some of his best football. He also made quite an impression on the Colts GM Chris Ballard, when he interviewed for the Colts top job, ultimately losing out to Frank Reich. "He's been mentored and trained playing under Bill Parcells and coaching under Sean Payton," said Ballard. "He's got a great vision of what he wants his team to be. I think he's going to be an outstanding head coach. It's not a matter of if, but when."

Pro's - experience coaching/playing under Parcells and Payton, head coaching experience

Con's - a little inexperienced, no NFL play calling experience

What about the college ranks?

Lincoln Riley, Head Coach, Oklahoma Sooners

Back to back quarterbacks to win the Heisman and go #1 in the NFL draft is no small feat. This year, he has turned Jalen Hurts into a very good passer after he looked more like a primary runner at Alabama. NFL teams will certainly be swarming this off season, the question is whether he wants to jump to the NFL this early in his career (he's only 35).

Pro's - Young exciting offensive mind, genuine QB guru

Con's - he's young and inexperienced

David Shaw, Head Coach, Stanford 

Jim Harbaugh's successor at Stanford. Actually has some NFL experience (position coach and quality control assistant) with the Philadelphia Eagles, Oakland Raiders and Baltimore Ravens. One of the most respected coaches in college football, known for pro-style, hard nosed, fundamentally sound schemes on both side of the ball. An unnamed NFL exec had this to say on Shaw: "Shaw is a smart, offensive-minded guy. He's honest with his players and he doesn't play favorites. You can tell the players respect him and he gets results." 

Pro's - lot's of experience at both college and NFL levels, experience calling offensive plays

Con's - NFL experience was a lifetime ago (in NFL terms), It's going to take one heck on an offer to get him to leave his gig at Stanford.

Chris Peterson, Head Coach, Washington

When Daniel Jeremiah polled 5 NFL execs on which college coach would make the best NFL head coach, Peterson received 2 votes (along with Shaw). Here's what they had to say on Peterson:

"I'd take Petersen. He's very smart, organized, runs a pro offense and his teams are always tough and disciplined. He knows exactly what he wants in a player. He's coached a ton of NFL talent at Boise State and Washington. My only question would be what kind of staff could he attract. The guy is a stud."

"Petersen would easily be my top candidate. He's an outstanding coach and I know some teams have done their homework on him. Recruiting is such a mess for these coaches. I wouldn't be totally shocked if he decided to make the jump. He would be a home-run hire for any NFL team."

Nearly 2 decades as an offensive play-caller for Boise State and Washington - his offenses have always been a mix of pro-style and innovative. Petersen has proved to be a top-notch offensive strategist and motivator. The 2007 Fiesta Bowl upset of Oklahoma is some of the best offensive play-calling you will ever see.

Pro's - one of the most respected offensive minds and play callers in college football

Con's - no NFL experience

Matt Campbell, Head Coach, Iowa State

The other college coach to receive a vote was Matt Campbell. An NFL exec had this to say on him: "Just look at the job Campbell has done at Iowa State. He's an excellent scheme coach, but even more important, he has a presence and his players buy in to what he's selling. I think he would translate well to the next level." Campbell was head coach at Toledo, from 2011 - 2015, finishing with 2 consecutive 9 win seasons. Since moving to Iowa State, he has twice been named the Big 12 Coach of the Year. He is known for his high powered offenses and likes to run the ball - developing the likes of Kareem Hunt and David Montgomery.

Pro's - Young, up and coming offensive mind.

Con's - limited experience

In today's NFL, you need to own a patent to a great system on offense. The only way to truly do that is to hire an offensive guru for head coach, as your coordinators success will have him as a coach for somebody else in short order.

My pick is Mcdaniels and see if Pioli will come out of retirement.

I don't care that he did Indy dirty, we are desperate enough to gamble on him actually leaving this time.

Washington seems to have a good track record of former assistants branching out to find success in other places(Shanny, McVay and LaFleur). Look there first, just not Gruden.

At this point I'm all for the water boy taking over if it'll shake things up a bit and light a fire under some rumps.

12 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Washington seems to have a good track record of former assistants branching out to find success in other places(Shanny, McVay and LaFleur). Look there first, just not Gruden.

LaFleur and Shanny learnt their trade in Houston though. 

Kevin O'Connell is a young up and coming OC in Washington, but not sure he is ready for a HC gig just yet.

Just now, A-TowN.- said:

Lincoln Riley as of now. I want a young offensive minded coach who has ability to motivate and lead a locker room. 

Seems a popular choice for most teams looking for a change. I do worry about the lack of experience.

PokerSteve likes this

1 minute ago, Smiler11 said:

Kevin O'Connell is a young up and coming OC in Washington, but not sure he is ready for a HC gig just yet.

**** it, go for it

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

I wouldn’t hate it if it was Kirby Smart. I know UGA is stocked with talent but buddy gets the most of it and I like his fire. Probably would never happen though. 

50 minutes ago, FalconAge said:

In today's NFL, you need to own a patent to a great system on offense. The only way to truly do that is to hire an offensive guru for head coach, as your coordinators success will have him as a coach for somebody else in short order.

My pick is Mcdaniels and see if Pioli will come out of retirement.

I don't care that he did Indy dirty, we are desperate enough to gamble on him actually leaving this time.

i agree idc about what he did to indy i just dont think he gonna leave new england 

7 minutes ago, A-TowN.- said:

Lincoln Riley as of now. I want a young offensive minded coach who has ability to motivate and lead a locker room. 

but why would he leave he killing it in OU making any qb he gets a heisman trophy winner why risk leaving that but i do want him so bad

Smiler11 and Flyin' In DC like this

1 minute ago, kenn.junior said:

but why would he leave he killing it in OU making any qb he gets a heisman trophy winner why risk leaving that but i do want him so bad

I think it solely depends on if Riley has aspirations to be an NFL HC.

With the resent history of young HCs coming in and having success in the NFL, it could be a very tempting situation to come in with an established QB to try and win immediately while also drafting his QB for the future if he sees fit based on where the Falcons could be picking at.

PokerSteve likes this

1 hour ago, Smiler11 said:

I'm not here to debate if Dan Quinn should stay or not (there is plenty of threads for that), but if DQ and the Falcons were to part ways what Head Coaching Candidates are out there that could potentially take over? 

Here are a few of mine:

The Guys with NFL Experience

Greg Olsen, Offensive Coordinator, Oakland Raiders

Olson has 12 years experience as an NFL offensive coordinator, with stints at the Detroit Lions, St. Louis/Los Angeles Rams, Jacksonville Jaguars, and Oakland Raiders. Maybe an under the radar type guy, as his offensives have always been middle of the road, but when you dig a little deeper and look at the talent he has had available to him, his body of work speaks for itself. Marc Bulger, Josh Freeman, Derek Carr, and Blake Bortles each enjoyed his respective best season under Olson. Prior to, and in between his stints as an offensive coordinator he also served as the QB coach of the 2001 49ers (under Steve Mariucci and Greg Knapp) and was the QB coach for the Rams in 2017  (under McVay and Matt LeFleur). This year, whilst the Raiders are hardly pulling up trees, Derek Carr is playing some of the most efficient football of his career and the running game under Josh Jacobs is 9th in the NFL with 134 yards per game at an impressive 4.9 per carry. The offensive game plan against the Bears yesterday was especially impressive - running on the vaunted defense to the tune of 169 yards and 3 rushing TD's.

Pro’s – lots of NFL experience, somewhat of a QB guru, worked under a wealth of different offensive minds

Con’s – only 1 top 10 offense in his 12 years as an offensive coordinator

Jim Harbaugh, Head Coach, Michigan

Harbaugh hasn't had the success expected of him at Michigan - sure, the Wolverines are better than they were prior to Harbaugh taking over, but they have yet to win a Big Ten championship or beat Ohio State. He was however able to turn the 49ers around (44/19/1), after years of mediocrity (no winning season in the previous 9 years). He did that with Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick at the helm. He was also a key influence on the early career of Andrew Luck at Stanford, going 11-1 in his final season at Stanford (their only loss coming to Chip Kelly's Oregon who to the NC game) - Luck was the runner up in the Heisman trophy to RG3.

Pro's - NFL experience, had relative success everywhere he has coached, known for a pro-style hard nosed brand of football

Con's - may be better suited to college football at this point

Shane Waldron, Passing Game Coordinator, LA Rams

Another disciple of Sean McVay - he came over to the Rams with McVay after serving as an offensive quality control coach with the Redskins in 2016. After the success of Matt LeFleur and Zac Taylor, Waldron could be the next in line for a big gig. He has learned from McVay over the course of the past three years and did serve as a quality control coach with the Patriots in 2008 as well. So, he has experience under Bill Belichick which could be appealing.

Pro's - comes from the Sean McVay tree, played a part in the development of Jared Goff.

Con's - Goff and that offense haven't been firing on all cylinders since Taylor left for the Bengals job, no experience as a HC or calling plays

Josh McDaniels, Offensive Coordinator, New England Patriots

His resume in NE speaks for itself - 7 straight AFC title games, 4 super bowls and 3 rings. That Patriot offense has had to retool and evolve multiple times over that period, always remaining one of the most potent in football. of course there will always say that the success is down to Brady or Belicheck.

Pro's - known as an offensive guru, shown an ability to adapt, one of the most winning-est offensive coordinators in the history of football

Con's - his HC experience with the Broncos was somewhat of a car crash, teams may be wary after the Colts debacle.

Dan Campbell, Assistant Head Coach, New Orleans Saints

Former NFL tight end, under Bill Parcells. Spent the last 4 years with the Saints, serving as the assistant head coach and tight ends coach. He also has head coaching experience, stepping in as interim HC after the Dolphins fired Joe Philbin in 2015. Campbell led the team to a 5-7 record after they started 1-3 under Philbin, with Tannehill playing some of his best football. He also made quite an impression on the Colts GM Chris Ballard, when he interviewed for the Colts top job, ultimately losing out to Frank Reich. "He's been mentored and trained playing under Bill Parcells and coaching under Sean Payton," said Ballard. "He's got a great vision of what he wants his team to be. I think he's going to be an outstanding head coach. It's not a matter of if, but when."

Pro's - experience coaching/playing under Parcells and Payton, head coaching experience

Con's - a little inexperienced, no NFL play calling experience

What about the college ranks?

Lincoln Riley, Head Coach, Oklahoma Sooners

Back to back quarterbacks to win the Heisman and go #1 in the NFL draft is no small feat. This year, he has turned Jalen Hurts into a very good passer after he looked more like a primary runner at Alabama. NFL teams will certainly be swarming this off season, the question is whether he wants to jump to the NFL this early in his career (he's only 35).

Pro's - Young exciting offensive mind, genuine QB guru

Con's - he's young and inexperienced

David Shaw, Head Coach, Stanford 

Jim Harbaugh's successor at Stanford. Actually has some NFL experience (position coach and quality control assistant) with the Philadelphia Eagles, Oakland Raiders and Baltimore Ravens. One of the most respected coaches in college football, known for pro-style, hard nosed, fundamentally sound schemes on both side of the ball. An unnamed NFL exec had this to say on Shaw: "Shaw is a smart, offensive-minded guy. He's honest with his players and he doesn't play favorites. You can tell the players respect him and he gets results." 

Pro's - lot's of experience at both college and NFL levels, experience calling offensive plays

Con's - NFL experience was a lifetime ago (in NFL terms), It's going to take one heck on an offer to get him to leave his gig at Stanford.

Chris Peterson, Head Coach, Washington

When Daniel Jeremiah polled 5 NFL execs on which college coach would make the best NFL head coach, Peterson received 2 votes (along with Shaw). Here's what they had to say on Peterson:

"I'd take Petersen. He's very smart, organized, runs a pro offense and his teams are always tough and disciplined. He knows exactly what he wants in a player. He's coached a ton of NFL talent at Boise State and Washington. My only question would be what kind of staff could he attract. The guy is a stud."

"Petersen would easily be my top candidate. He's an outstanding coach and I know some teams have done their homework on him. Recruiting is such a mess for these coaches. I wouldn't be totally shocked if he decided to make the jump. He would be a home-run hire for any NFL team."

Nearly 2 decades as an offensive play-caller for Boise State and Washington - his offenses have always been a mix of pro-style and innovative. Petersen has proved to be a top-notch offensive strategist and motivator. The 2007 Fiesta Bowl upset of Oklahoma is some of the best offensive play-calling you will ever see.

Pro's - one of the most respected offensive minds and play callers in college football

Con's - no NFL experience

Matt Campbell, Head Coach, Iowa State

The other college coach to receive a vote was Matt Campbell. An NFL exec had this to say on him: "Just look at the job Campbell has done at Iowa State. He's an excellent scheme coach, but even more important, he has a presence and his players buy in to what he's selling. I think he would translate well to the next level." Campbell was head coach at Toledo, from 2011 - 2015, finishing with 2 consecutive 9 win seasons. Since moving to Iowa State, he has twice been named the Big 12 Coach of the Year. He is known for his high powered offenses and likes to run the ball - developing the likes of Kareem Hunt and David Montgomery.

Pro's - Young, up and coming offensive mind.

Con's - limited experience

Josh McDaniels..whatever it takes!! 

KCFalcon22, Chaz and Run 'n' Shoot like this

18 minutes ago, A-TowN.- said:

He would be my 1st choice. 

D.B.N. likes this

8 minutes ago, kenn.junior said:

He won’t leave he has Spencer rattler a 5 star freshman he can potentially make another heisman winner next year ... what about Eric Bieniemy oc from chiefs former nfl RB tough and up coming play caller was there when Doug Peterson and Matt Nagy were there learned under them and Andy Reid 

1 hour ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

I wouldn’t hate it if it was Kirby Smart. I know UGA is stocked with talent but buddy gets the most of it and I like his fire. Probably would never happen though. 

I almost included Smart but he's a defensive guy by trade and I think we really need an offensive coach to drive us forward. Also, Smart is probably in the same bucket as Saban and Swinney in that it would take a lot to tempt them away (Shaw and Harbaugh are probably also in this bucket, maybe Riley as well).

Keep that college bs in college.  Those newfangled systems don’t translate to NFL success.  See chip kelly, kingsbury, heck even Harbaugh fizzled out.

6 minutes ago, JetJones11 said:

He won’t leave he has Spencer rattler a 5 star freshman he can potentially make another heisman winner next year ... what about Eric Bieniemy oc from chiefs former nfl RB tough and up coming play caller was there when Doug Peterson and Matt Nagy were there learned under them and Andy Reid 

Eric Bieniemy was definitely an oversight on my part. He'd be close to top of any list right now.

Falcon from E and JetJones11 like this

4 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

I also most included Smart but he's a defensive guy by trade and I think we really need an offensive coach to drive us forward. Also, Smart is probably in the same bucket as Saban and Swinney in that it would take a lot to tempt them away (Shaw and Harbaugh are probably also in this bucket, maybe Riley as well)

Definitely need an offensive Head coach we don’t want another Defensive coach with a good OC and get him poached away to be some one else’s head guy ...Shanahan :( 

Run 'n' Shoot likes this

I would like a HC with a strength on the offensive side of the ball. But I do NOT want that person to be from somebody’s current system (like Quinn was with Seattle or someone  on McVay’s staff). I want someone who clearly runs the offense with full control if we go that route. I’d be happy with these guys

Josh McDaniels

Jim Harbaugh

David Shaw

Lincoln Riley

2 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I would like a HC with a strength on the offensive side of the ball. But I do NOT want that person to be from somebody’s current system (like Quinn was with Seattle or someone  on McVay’s staff). I want someone who clearly runs the offense with full control if we go that route. I’d be happy with these guys

Josh McDaniels

Jim Harbaugh

David Shaw

Lincoln Riley

I just don't trust Josh McDaniels at this point.

The stuff that happened during his first HC job in Denver and the last second change of heart with Indianapolis after accepting the HC job.

37 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

WE HAD LEFEUR IN THE BUILDING AND DIDNT EVEN GIVE HIM AND MIKE DANIELS A SECOND THOUGHT. 

Hows that GB team doing w him these days? Or the SF run game?

THANKS DAN! THANKS TD! 

3 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

I just don't trust Josh McDaniels at this point.

The stuff that happened during his first HC job in Denver and the last second change of heart with Indianapolis after accepting the HC job.

Well we just don’t know everything behind the scenes. That being said, he’s the perfect OC for Brady who has a very similar style to Ryan. That’s what I like. As for Indy, you gotta wonder if he got an inside tip about Luck...as for Denver, was SUPER young when he got that job and Tebow was going to be a failure with anyone 

Ergo Proxy and Chaz like this