The Rock

Matt Ryan not a top 10 QB?

65 posts in this topic

NFL.com has its latest QB rankings. Matt not rated in the top 10 by four different analysts.

Not surprisingly given our poor coverage by the national media in Atlanta. 

Hall of fame voting is influenced by national media opinions.

Thoughts?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001061541/article/qb-index-week-5-carson-wentz-cracks-top-five-tom-brady-slips

Edited by The Rock

We suck and even though i love Matt, he’s not playing nearly as well as we all know he can and should be. At this point, he’s not top 10 for this season. Looking at the rankings though, no way in **** should Baker be that high. You can’t be garbage for ur first three games and have one good game and be that high. His stats still look super ugly despite the W against Baltimore. Everyone else I’m okay with. 

17 minutes ago, The Rock said:

NFL.com has its latest QB rankings. Matt not rated in the top 10 by four different analysts.

Thoughts?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001061541/article/qb-index-week-5-carson-wentz-cracks-top-five-tom-brady-slips

He’s not been a Top 10 QB so far this year. But season is only 4 games young. 

44 minutes ago, The Rock said:

Thoughts?

"Not surprisingly given our poor coverage by the national media in Atlanta." 

So are you saying that we deserve positive coverage with our pathetic performances? And isn't Ryan first or second in interceptions? 

It will be interesting to see where the general consensus goes by the end of the year.

Hopefully we get Lindstrom back by the year and see if him and McGary get in sync.

I'm always ready to go to bat for Matt Ryan but realistically, he's not worthy of top ten with 6 interceptions through 4 games. 3 of them in the redzone. I think by the end of the year it'll be a different story though

⚡Slumerican⚡ likes this

Football is a young mans game.. Ryans just too old to keep up with the competition any more. With age you lose arm strength, mobility, and eye sight.. Ryan has become a huge liability and i really hope he can finish this season healthy enough to fill our back up role next season. Schaub needs to retire and with a top 5 pick we should be able to draft a qb and maybe make a run in 2020.. Main thing is keeping Ryan healthy in case we need him as a backup next year.. At worst he can be a good qb coach for the Falcons many more years 

$traightCashHomie likes this

Last year the team stunk, but Matt Ryan played great.

This year the team stinks, and Matt Ryan has started off not playing great.  Why should there even be any debate about whether he's top 10?

Right now, he's not.

Schwarzwald likes this

Not based on this year’s play.

I think it would be great if Manuel and Sark were best friends just so I could imagine their text exchanges while watching the falcons play.

Schwarzwald likes this

Before the season I would’ve said he’s a top 10 quarterback easy.  Since the 2019 season started

“He fell from top 10 to not mentioned all”

I think a lotta pundits feel Ryan's stats are not necessarily indicative of his actual value. Meaning a lot of his yards & completions have came during garbage time moments. When they did top 100 players you can tell no dbs were afraid of him. He and Matthew Stafford can go be best friends somewhere else. We need a real QB here. A real leader. If Matt is the best this franchise can ultimately get then I guess 28-3 was our Super Bowl because if he can't be Brady at age 32 he sure as heck ain't finna beat Mahomes no time soon.

^All we need is MVP form Matt from 2016-2018 to show back up...3 years > 4 games of 2019...

People are quick to write off Brees or Brady at first signs of slowing down at age 40.

Ryan could easily play another 5 years. Everyone is overreacting and panicking...and not surprised Matt is forgotten. They forgot him in 2018 after he put up MVP numbers and in 2017 when they didn't dig and only looked at the numbers when the offense had redzone woes.

4 minutes ago, Hurry_Up_And_Buy said:

I think a lotta pundits feel Ryan's stats are not necessarily indicative of his actual value. Meaning a lot of his yards & completions have came during garbage time moments. When they did top 100 players you can tell no dbs were afraid of him. He and Matthew Stafford can go be best friends somewhere else. We need a real QB here. A real leader. If Matt is the best this franchise can ultimately get then I guess 28-3 was our Super Bowl because if he can't be Brady at age 32 he sure as heck ain't finna beat Mahomes no time soon.

^Imagine believing this nonsense.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/atlanta-falcons-matt-ryan-elite-qb/

Compared to other quarterbacks, Ryan was largely responsible for his own success

But statistical success doesn’t necessarily represent a player’s individual skill level. Maybe you think that Ryan’s statistics are the product of his offensive system, or are overly influenced by the fact that he gets to throw to Julio Jones, one of the best wide receivers in the NFL. In fact, the Atlanta Falcons have, arguably, the best wide receiver trio in the NFL with Jones, Calvin Ridley, and Mohamed Sanu.

And while those are certainly factors in his success, it once again unfairly diminishes the things that Ryan has accomplished during his Atlanta Falcons career to focus solely on them. It is important to examine how he played in a vacuum, ignoring those mitigating factors.

The Pro Football Network Offensive Share Metric (OSM) grades allow us to examine Ryan’s performance in this way. The system takes into account only factors that an individual player could control, such as air yards or completion probability. And if you look purely at his OSM grades, Matt Ryan was arguably the best player in the NFL over the last three seasons. I know that sounds hyperbolic, but it really isn’t.

Last season, Ryan had the fourth-best grade of any quarterback with 30.3. That is already an excellent grade, one that implies that, relative to other quarterbacks in the NFL, he was critical to the success of his offense last season. However, Ryan’s 2018 grade was actually lower than how he scored in prior seasons.

Matt Ryan’s 2016 and 2017 OSM grades were unbelievable

In 2017, a relatively poor year for Ryan statistically, he performed even better on this metric. “Even better” is a bit of an understatement though, since his 2017 grade was 50.48, a full 20 points higher than last season, and around 14 points higher than the highest grade received by any quarterback in 2018. And during his 2016 MVP season, he did even better, receiving the completely ludicrous grade of 58.38.

For some context, that is the highest grade received by any player from 2016-2018, regardless of position. That is particularly impressive because quarterback grades tend to be lower on average. More than any other player during that three-year period, Ryan was able to maximize every opportunity presented to him. While this does not necessarily indicate that he was the best player in the NFL at any given time, it does show somewhat definitively that Ryan’s statistics were largely of his own making.

It is time to stop underrating Matt Ryan

The goal of this article is not to say that Ryan is the best quarterback in the NFL. But I think he deserves to be in that conversation, and he almost never is. As I said at the beginning of this article, the way people view him is somewhat confusing.

They don’t think he is on the same level as other supposed “good-not-great” quarterbacks like Dak Prescott, but at the same time, they are unwilling to put him in the same category as players like Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady. Maybe if the Atlanta Falcons had held on to their 28-3 lead over the New England Patriots in Super Bowl LI Ryan would be classified as elite. Maybe not.

It almost seems as though he is in a tier of his own, somewhere in between “pretty good” and “elite.”  But when you take a closer look, it rapidly becomes apparent just how good he has been in recent years. And I think it’s high time that he gets the recognition he deserves.

2 hours ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Football is a young mans game.. Ryans just too old to keep up with the competition any more. With age you lose arm strength, mobility, and eye sight.. Ryan has become a huge liability and i really hope he can finish this season healthy enough to fill our back up role next season. Schaub needs to retire and with a top 5 pick we should be able to draft a qb and maybe make a run in 2020.. Main thing is keeping Ryan healthy in case we need him as a backup next year.. At worst he can be a good qb coach for the Falcons many more years 

:rolleyes: ...doesn't apply to elite pocket QBs that don't rely on athleticism.

A young mans game and we got late 30s-40+ yo QBs still playing at high levels. :tiphat:

Matt isn't a nobody that hasn't proven he can play. He can easily bounce back and go on a tear like he has been doing the past 3 years.

2 hours ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

Since Matt Ryan was so good in 2016 he deserves to be ranked top 3 until he retires.

Sad thing is, alot of people here will take you seriously and live by this statement :(

Jerz #Quinning likes this

31 minutes ago, Hurry_Up_And_Buy said:

That's if Mahomes ever makes it to a SB.

I think you're forgetting who KC's HC is.

22 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

^All we need is MVP form Matt from 2016-2018 to show back up...3 years > 4 games of 2019...

People are quick to write off Brees or Brady at first signs of slowing down at age 40.

Ryan could easily play another 5 years. Everyone is overreacting and panicking...and not surprised Matt is forgotten. They forgot him in 2018 after he put up MVP numbers and in 2017 when they didn't dig and only looked at the numbers when the offense had redzone woes.

^Imagine believing this nonsense.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/atlanta-falcons-matt-ryan-elite-qb/

Compared to other quarterbacks, Ryan was largely responsible for his own success

But statistical success doesn’t necessarily represent a player’s individual skill level. Maybe you think that Ryan’s statistics are the product of his offensive system, or are overly influenced by the fact that he gets to throw to Julio Jones, one of the best wide receivers in the NFL. In fact, the Atlanta Falcons have, arguably, the best wide receiver trio in the NFL with Jones, Calvin Ridley, and Mohamed Sanu.

And while those are certainly factors in his success, it once again unfairly diminishes the things that Ryan has accomplished during his Atlanta Falcons career to focus solely on them. It is important to examine how he played in a vacuum, ignoring those mitigating factors.

The Pro Football Network Offensive Share Metric (OSM) grades allow us to examine Ryan’s performance in this way. The system takes into account only factors that an individual player could control, such as air yards or completion probability. And if you look purely at his OSM grades, Matt Ryan was arguably the best player in the NFL over the last three seasons. I know that sounds hyperbolic, but it really isn’t.

Last season, Ryan had the fourth-best grade of any quarterback with 30.3. That is already an excellent grade, one that implies that, relative to other quarterbacks in the NFL, he was critical to the success of his offense last season. However, Ryan’s 2018 grade was actually lower than how he scored in prior seasons.

Matt Ryan’s 2016 and 2017 OSM grades were unbelievable

In 2017, a relatively poor year for Ryan statistically, he performed even better on this metric. “Even better” is a bit of an understatement though, since his 2017 grade was 50.48, a full 20 points higher than last season, and around 14 points higher than the highest grade received by any quarterback in 2018. And during his 2016 MVP season, he did even better, receiving the completely ludicrous grade of 58.38.

For some context, that is the highest grade received by any player from 2016-2018, regardless of position. That is particularly impressive because quarterback grades tend to be lower on average. More than any other player during that three-year period, Ryan was able to maximize every opportunity presented to him. While this does not necessarily indicate that he was the best player in the NFL at any given time, it does show somewhat definitively that Ryan’s statistics were largely of his own making.

It is time to stop underrating Matt Ryan

The goal of this article is not to say that Ryan is the best quarterback in the NFL. But I think he deserves to be in that conversation, and he almost never is. As I said at the beginning of this article, the way people view him is somewhat confusing.

They don’t think he is on the same level as other supposed “good-not-great” quarterbacks like Dak Prescott, but at the same time, they are unwilling to put him in the same category as players like Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady. Maybe if the Atlanta Falcons had held on to their 28-3 lead over the New England Patriots in Super Bowl LI Ryan would be classified as elite. Maybe not.

It almost seems as though he is in a tier of his own, somewhere in between “pretty good” and “elite.”  But when you take a closer look, it rapidly becomes apparent just how good he has been in recent years. And I think it’s high time that he gets the recognition he deserves.

When that was written in july, it was probably easier to convince people.. That article wouldn't fly as well if published this week. I may change my mind one day, and even have to eat crow.. But from everything ive witnessed in Ryans career.. Hes a stat hoe in garbage time being propped up by a organization trying to pass him off as a franchise qb.. Ryan has some serious red zone demons that idk will ever be defeated. And its not with just one oc or scheme.. What kills me, a guy like Ollison could definitely benefit Ryan in the red zone but Quinn has some of the answers, hes just sitting on them.. If im Ryan I tell Quinn to park Freeman, use Ito as the freatured back, activate Ollison and let the man do what he does best.. Run through defenses.. Especially in the red zone. I think we have the answers to our success, but what will it take for Quinn to realize it? 

Charles Wright likes this

6 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

When that was written in july, it was probably easier to convince people.. That article wouldn't fly as well if published this week. I may change my mind one day, and even have to eat crow.. But from everything ive witnessed in Ryans career.. Hes a stat hoe in garbage time being propped up by a organization trying to pass him off as a franchise qb.. Ryan has some serious red zone demons that idk will ever be defeated. And its not with just one oc or scheme.. What kills me, a guy like Ollison could definitely benefit Ryan in the red zone but Quinn has some of the answers, hes just sitting on them.. If im Ryan I tell Quinn to park Freeman, use Ito as the freatured back, activate Ollison and let the man do what he does best.. Run through defenses.. Especially in the red zone. I think we have the answers to our success, but what will it take for Quinn to realize it? 

This is a false narrative. What red zone demons?? :huh:

What you just typed is perception.

5 TDs vs the Saints last year and we lose. Is that a stat hoe? etc. We took the lead late in several games last year only for the D to give it RIGHT BACK!

We got garbage stats in some games. ALL QBS GET THOSE TOO.

Matt being blamed for the putrid defense is what is laughable.

If anyone is a garbage stat QB it's Drew Brees in their 7-9 seasons then. :shrug: ..but was Drew Brees why they went 7-9?

Thanks for taking the call I guess. I'll hang up and listen in!

11 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

This is a false narrative. What red zone demons?? :huh:

What you just typed is perception.

5 TDs vs the Saints last year and we lose. Is that a stat hoe? etc. We took the lead late in several games last year only for the D to give it RIGHT BACK!

We got garbage stats in some games. ALL QBS GET THOSE TOO.

Matt being blamed for the putrid defense is what is laughable.

If anyone is a garbage stat QB it's Drew Brees in their 7-9 seasons then. :shrug: ..but was Drew Brees why they went 7-9?

Thanks for taking the call I guess. I'll hang up and listen in!

I do understand where you're coming from, honestly I do. But its a consistency thing with Ryan that eats at me. The game vs Carolina (which had the worst cb's on the field that day) was still a excellent game by Ryan.. He seemed to nail most of his passes, looked confident and controlled the game.. The playoff game vs Green bay, which imo was one of his best games was an absolute blast to watch.. But at the same time you get more games with Ryan taking questionable sacks, throwing head scratching interceptions, under throwing Julio (which is happening very regularly) and coming out in the second half while teams are playing containment defense tossing check downs that are meaningless.. I understand Rodgers is much more of a gun slinger than Ryan.. But down 2 td's in the forth quarter you've got to go for the end zone even if the odds are against you.. Stop with the meaningless check downs just to rack up stats.. Play with some heart and go for the win.. 

And maybe i see things differently than everyone else.. But the one common issue we've had in the red zone all these years is the ball is in Ryans hands. I cant think of another team that has been cursed in the red zone more than the Falcons.. Sark talked about it, DK has talked about it, Quinn talks about it but what's another excuse than Ryan? 

Charles Wright likes this

12 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

I do understand where you're coming from, honestly I do. But its a consistency thing with Ryan that eats at me. The game vs Carolina (which had the worst cb's on the field that day) was still a excellent game by Ryan.. He seemed to nail most of his passes, looked confident and controlled the game.. The playoff game vs Green bay, which imo was one of his best games was an absolute blast to watch.. But at the same time you get more games with Ryan taking questionable sacks, throwing head scratching interceptions, under throwing Julio (which is happening very regularly) and coming out in the second half while teams are playing containment defense tossing check downs that are meaningless.. I understand Rodgers is much more of a gun slinger than Ryan.. But down 2 td's in the forth quarter you've got to go for the end zone even if the odds are against you.. Stop with the meaningless check downs just to rack up stats.. Play with some heart and go for the win.. 

And maybe i see things differently than everyone else.. But the one common issue we've had in the red zone all these years is the ball is in Ryans hands. I cant think of another team that has been cursed in the red zone more than the Falcons.. Sark talked about it, DK has talked about it, Quinn talks about it but what's another excuse than Ryan? 

You realize Rodgers is one of the worst QBs at comeback attempts??

Hating on any perceived stats while behind...

Let me ask you was the IND game garbage time stats just because the D couldn’t get a stop??

Ryan doesn’t dink and dunk either.

Ryan takes less sacks than guys like Rodgers too who are risk averse and hold onto the ball.

Your post contradicts itself in several areas when viewed against reality.

quickzero likes this