Falconsfan567

#7 Auburn vs. #10 Florida

148 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

Why not?  With 8 teams, there is still an advantage to playing a soft schedule.   Still an advantage for teams like Clemson that play in tissue-paper soft conferences.

Would a "two loss" Auburn team be worse than a "one loss" USC or Washington team?

What if UGA's non-conference schedule was Penn State, Clemson and Texas and they go undefeated in conference play, lose on road to Clemson and lose a nail-biter to Bama - but they play a 100% legit schedule.     Went 10-2.

You have to consider 16 teams, no directional schools and legit out of conference schedules.   SEC otherwise would still be at a disadvantage as even though they get 2 teams in an 8 team playoff - they probably would deserve 3-4 teams most years.

If you lose 2 games you aren’t worthy of playing for the championship in my opinion.  You had your chance during the season.  One lose I can see since most teams have blemishes.  

I also don’t want UGA playing that meat grinder schedule.  The SEC and championship game are brutal enough.  

 

16 teams will water it down too much to me.  Most years there are some weak teams ranked between 10-20 and I don’t feel they are worthy of a shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

I’m absolutely against anything more than a 8 team playoff and honestly prefer 6 team playoff. I’ve not seen a year where more than 6 teams deserved to play for a championship. Plus, it absolutely waters down the regular season. 

I agree with this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

I agree with this.

So does Murray State and Arkansas State water down the regular season? 20% of the schedule.

Does Clemson getting an automatic bid while being forced to play no competitive team water down the playoff?   Why should ONE team get what amounts to an automatic bid and take up 25% of the playoff field.

What’s wrong with having to win 4 games to be crowned National Champs?

We don’t have 32 teams like the NFL.  The percentage of teams with a realistic shot at playoff is too low - there should be some Cinderella teams with a shot.

5 conference champs and 3 at-large teams doesn’t cut it either as there would likely be 5-6 teams better than 1-2 of the conference champs.

If 4-5 teams get in that have no shot in our eyes, then it would be an effective bye and advantage for best teams.  No one will have a realistic claim that they could have won the Natty - no more UCF bs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

I believe Auburn is gonna expose Florida as the pretender that they are.   

Auburn's getting TON of mileage out beating up on Miss St.   I think the teams are actually pretty even.  We'll see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bdawg58 said:

I’m absolutely against anything more than a 8 team playoff and honestly prefer 6 team playoff. I’ve not seen a year where more than 6 teams deserved to play for a championship. Plus, it absolutely waters down the regular season. 

 I agree.  There have never been more than about 5 or 6 teams at the most that can compete for the championship in college football.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

So does Murray State and Arkansas State water down the regular season? 20% of the schedule.

Does Clemson getting an automatic bid while being forced to play no competitive team water down the playoff?   Why should ONE team get what amounts to an automatic bid and take up 25% of the playoff field.

What’s wrong with having to win 4 games to be crowned National Champs?

We don’t have 32 teams like the NFL.  The percentage of teams with a realistic shot at playoff is too low - there should be some Cinderella teams with a shot.

5 conference champs and 3 at-large teams doesn’t cut it either as there would likely be 5-6 teams better than 1-2 of the conference champs.

If 4-5 teams get in that have no shot in our eyes, then it would be an effective bye and advantage for best teams.  No one will have a realistic claim that they could have won the Natty - no more UCF bs.

I like the idea of 8-10. I think 16 is too many. Too many times we see teams ranked 10-16 range that just aren't very good, at least not anywhere near as good as the top 5 or 6.

And I already said in the other thread that I would do away with power 5 teams playing lower level schools. I'm all for banning that.

Teams can't help it that their conference sucks.

g-dawg and Bdawg58 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Carter said:

Hahaha maybe Auburn is the overrated one?

Typical Gus honestly. Slow starts are normal. Just got to hope to stabilize the ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right as I was about to say the weird thing to me is how Trask has played significantly better than Franks, he fumbles and turns it over lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I like the idea of 8-10. I think 16 is too many. Too many times we see teams ranked 10-16 range that just aren't very good, at least not anywhere near as good as the top 5 or 6.

And I already said in the other thread that I would do away with power 5 teams playing lower level schools. I'm all for banning that.

Teams can't help it that their conference sucks.

Yeah,  I could get behind 12 teams - top 4 get a bye - that would work and since the top 4 are likely the best 4 - it would eliminate most teams having to win more than 3 games.    You get 5 conference winners,  1 non Power 5 and still have 6 slots left for the beauty pageant - I like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Auburn still winning by 30. I've learned to expect this with Auburn. LSU is the one game I can say that I really think is going to give them trouble. Alabama and Georgia both being in Auburn gives Auburn a chance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

hey guys a quick summary.. just turned on the game.. 

Auburn got the ball to start. 3 and out. Florida 2nd play was a inside slant and catch and run for a long TD. Auburn 2nd drive again, 3 and out. Florida 2nd drive QB sacked and fumbled. Auburn got it and got a FG out of it.

SacFalcFan likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

hey guys a quick summary.. just turned on the game.. 

Auburn got the ball first, went 3 and out. Punted. Florida got the ball, scored a long touchdown on a short pass with the 2nd play. Auburn has forced turnovers on Florida's last 2 possessions but only managed to get in field goal range and get 3. Now they will have the ball with good field position after that fumble recovery.

SacFalcFan likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now