Falcons Fan MVP

Do you think there is any chance Devonta Freeman will play like his old self again?

228 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, caponine said:

Lol he's not though. He's not the best but he can still get it done inside. 

That’s what she said. 

Vandy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Freeman could still have a good game here & there, but he really just doesn't seem to be the same player he was before all these injuries. So no, I don't see him returning to form as a guy you can count on for 1000 rushing yards & a bunch of receiving yards to go with that.

caponine and ya_boi_j like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Vandy said:

 

Yup, you two flappers sure showed him how having the last word wasn’t important, LOL. 

Cracking me up!

Lol I'm glad we're cracking you up since we know you're a clown. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, caponine said:

Yall sure do exaggerate alot he is fine running inside. You don't have to be the best runner inside. When you get two 3 or 4  yard runs that 2nd and 4 or 2nd and 2. Results are all that matter. How you get there doesnt matter to me 

If you have a body of evidence that suggests a player is more effective doing certain things why would you try and make a player into something he’s not?

Then have a mantra of putting a player in favourable positions to succeed.

If a player is more effective at getting whatever yardage outside vs inside again why would you use him in this fashion and if you were you’d set up the inside run by showing something else to make it more effective.

Again do you think KS would just run Teco inside the tackles and not use Tecos home run to speed to best effect.

Thats what this conversation is about not whose better but best usage.

Vandy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kiwifalcon said:

If you have a body of evidence that suggests a player is more effective doing certain things why would you try and make a player into something he’s not?

Then have a mantra of putting a player in favourable positions to succeed.

If a player is more effective at getting whatever yardage outside vs inside again why would you use him in this fashion and if you were you’d set up the inside run by showing something else to make it more effective.

Again do you think KS would just run Teco inside the tackles and not use Tecos home run to speed to best effect.

Thats what this conversation is about not whose better but best usage.

Again not saying he was the best but he could pick up yards inside when needed. Never said outside wasn't his strength.  It is but give him effective blocking. We see that Freeman isnt a good inside runner too much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, caponine said:

Again not saying he was the best but he could pick up yards inside when needed. Never said outside wasn't his strength.  It is but give him effective blocking. We see that Freeman isnt a good inside runner too much. 

Neither runner are good inside runners because they aren’t power runners,they don’t overwhelm defenders at the point of contact.

There strength is space finding space.

Teco pure speedster Free elusive cutback runner.

If you ask me being able to beat defenders in confined space and making defenders miss it’s Free all day at his best.

Vandy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Neither runner are good inside runners because they aren’t power runners,they don’t overwhelm defenders at the point of contact.

There strength is space finding space.

Teco pure speedster Free elusive cutback runner.

If you ask me being able to beat defenders in confined space and making defenders miss it’s Free all day at his best.

Exactly agreed but I'd take Coleman. I like a back that can find a crease and take it home 

kiwifalcon likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, caponine said:

Exactly agreed but I'd take Coleman. I like a back that can find a crease and take it home 

I’m a speed guy to all in all they were perfect as a 1,2 punch though and were used accordingly by KS to maximum effect.

Now we’ve had Sark and now this **** show DK look at how ineffective they were to this offense.

To me that’s more telling.

caponine likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ito and Ollison is the RB combo we need to use on game day. Freemans contract prevents that just like his contract prevented us keeping Coleman.

Never give a RB who already had some concussions and was hitting late 20's a long huge contract. Rbs should only get huge contract on the edge of 24 or so and only if fully healthy.

⚡Slumerican⚡ and caponine like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The eye test says ITO is way better than freeman.. way faster... better cutting ability and so on.. Thats all I know right now

MAD597 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Free hasn’t lost a step to me. I will say he isn’t making the first guy miss as often as he used to but I expect the back 8 of the season will look a lot better then the first 8 as he probably is still finding his way back from injury 

Vandy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

I’m a speed guy to all in all they were perfect as a 1,2 punch though and were used accordingly by KS to maximum effect.

Now we’ve had Sark and now this **** show DK look at how ineffective they were to this offense.

To me that’s more telling.

no doubt there, they really elevated that 2016 offense. and definitely i agree with that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Nino11 said:

Free hasn’t lost a step to me. I will say he isn’t making the first guy miss as often as he used to but I expect the back 8 of the season will look a lot better then the first 8 as he probably is still finding his way back from injury 

And this is the difference. Gurley is in the same boat. Injuries and mileage have sapped both of something you can't see clearly on tape: the ability to micro-adjust to prevent defenders from getting clean tackles. The ability to slip through or elude first contact.

  • Can Freeman have a good game here and there? Probably.
  • Can he gain yardage behind great blocking? Absolutely, but what NFL running back can't do that?
  • Can he still be an effective target out of the backfield? Not to the degree he was before the injuries.

I'm not saying "Freeman sucks" or "we would be undefeated if we had running back X". Not my point. What I AM saying is that in the future, we should NEVER EVER give ANY running back a market-setting second contract. Draft a back in the 3rd-5th round. Run them into the ground during the rookie contract and a franchise tag or two, then draft their replacement in the 3rd-5th round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Neither runner are good inside runners because they aren’t power runners,they don’t overwhelm defenders at the point of contact.

There strength is space finding space.

Teco pure speedster Free elusive cutback runner.

If you ask me being able to beat defenders in confined space and making defenders miss it’s Free all day at his best.

This is really the only way to properly assess free. He’s not earl Campbell and never was. Get him in space and then assess if he’s still viable as a lead back,

Vandy and kiwifalcon like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

And this is the difference. Gurley is in the same boat. Injuries and mileage have sapped both of something you can't see clearly on tape: the ability to micro-adjust to prevent defenders from getting clean tackles. The ability to slip through or elude first contact.

  • Can Freeman have a good game here and there? Probably.
  • Can he gain yardage behind great blocking? Absolutely, but what NFL running back can't do that?
  • Can he still be an effective target out of the backfield? Not to the degree he was before the injuries.

I'm not saying "Freeman sucks" or "we would be undefeated if we had running back X". Not my point. What I AM saying is that in the future, we should NEVER EVER give ANY running back a market-setting second contract. Draft a back in the 3rd-5th round. Run them into the ground during the rookie contract and a franchise tag or two, then draft their replacement in the 3rd-5th round.

Yeah except this isn’t Madden and your dealing with actual people. Guys aren’t going to keep destroying themselves for a team that is known to not take care of their own players 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MSalmon said:

This is really the only way to properly assess free. He’s not earl Campbell and never was. Get him in space and then assess if he’s still viable as a lead back,

but he’s already been in space though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Injury prone RBs getting near 30 years old dont just magically get better and play like they did in their early 20s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MSalmon said:

This is really the only way to properly assess free. He’s not earl Campbell and never was. Get him in space and then assess if he’s still viable as a lead back,

Yet koetter keeps running him between the tackles where our OL is most vulnerable. SMH. 

Need to be giving Ollison bulk of carries if that’s koetter’s ‘plan’. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

Injury prone RBs getting near 30 years old dont just magically get better and play like they did in their early 20s

He’s only 27. He’s still got a while before he reaches the destination you’re talking of

Vandy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Nino11 said:

Free hasn’t lost a step to me. I will say he isn’t making the first guy miss as often as he used to but I expect the back 8 of the season will look a lot better then the first 8 as he probably is still finding his way back from injury 

He hasn’t lost a step. He looked tentative Minny game, since then has looked like the same freeman. Problem has been there’s no room to run. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

He’s only 27. He’s still got a while before he reaches the destination you’re talking of

Idk about that one , he has alot of wear and tear on him. He always seems to wear down when the team gives him alot of Carries. He's not a big rb that has taken alot of hits and injuries are starting to pile up as well. 

Edited by caponine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, caponine said:

Idk about that one , he has alot of wear and tear on him. He always seems to wear down when the team gives him alot of Carries. He's not a big rb that has taken alot of hits and injuries are starting to pile up as well. 

We don’t know that. The myth is that a running backs body breaks down at 30. At 30 I can see it. I can see the concern considering he has over 1000 touches in such a short span but still, He’s only 27 with at minimum 2 solid years left in the tank at this point. His playing style will get him another concussion more than anything. He’s only had 1 major injury outside of the concussion yet we’re going to label him as injury prone. Pretty sure the same was said about Julio as well early in his career. Not comparing the 2 but I’m not going to pretend dude simply doesn’t have anything left. Before the season I felt like he needed to prove himself and I still feel that way but without adequate run blocking, just as I said last season with Coleman, no one is going to have great success unless your last name is Barkley or Sanders

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ya_boi_j said:

We don’t know that. The myth is that a running backs body breaks down at 30. At 30 I can see it. I can see the concern considering he has over 1000 touches in such a short span but still, He’s only 27 with at minimum 2 solid years left in the tank at this point. His playing style will get him another concussion more than anything. He’s only had 1 major injury outside of the concussion yet we’re going to label him as injury prone. Pretty sure the same was said about Julio as well early in his career. Not comparing the 2 but I’m not going to pretend dude simply doesn’t have anything left. Before the season I felt like he needed to prove himself and I still feel that way but without adequate run blocking, just as I said last season with Coleman, no one is going to have great success unless your last name is Barkley or Sanders

You right , I just know sometimes knee injuries are tricky to completely heal. No matter the injury. The concussions I'm worried about,  I think the concussions have forced him to change his running style. I just think for someone of his stature with these injuries may not be the best. I still want him to have a quality life after football. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now