Falcons Fan MVP

Do you think there is any chance Devonta Freeman will play like his old self again?

228 posts in this topic

What do you think the chances are Devonta Freeman breaks out of his funk and plays like the guy we paid that big contract to on a weekly basis? 

4 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

What do you think the chances are Devonta Freeman breaks out of his funk and plays like the guy we paid that big contract to on a weekly basis? 

Take a look at how he played under Koetter in 2014 if you really want to know the answer to that question.

He will never be the same Free as he was his first couple seasons. Injuries lead to his lack of speed and quickness. It's not something you gain back as a back gets older with more wear and tear, that is just a football gods thing, it's nature, the natural order of things. 

So the answer is no, and the Falcons just don't realize it or are to complacent to believe it. Take it from WFW Falcons, move onto the RBs we have on the roster and find the gem. If not we need to draft one. 

Flyin' In DC, Chaz and caponine like this

1 hour ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

He will never be the same Free as he was his first couple seasons. Injuries lead to his lack of speed and quickness. It's not something you gain back as a back gets older with more wear and tear, that is just a football gods thing, it's nature, the natural order of things. 

So the answer is no, and the Falcons just don't realize it or are to complacent to believe it. Take it from WFW Falcons, move onto the RBs we have on the roster and find the gem. If not we need to draft one. 

I still think losing Coleman has hurt this offense tbh , whatever way people want to spin it. He produced everytime he was on the field. When Freeman didn't have good games. Coleman took over. Now the offense looks anemic. Dont think that's a coincidence. 

Posted (edited)

Freeman had his first concussion and then his second and then his third and then got his big contract.  He has nothing to play for anymore and plenty to not play for anymore.

Notice how he avoids big hits as much as possible now.  If he could just sit on the bench the rest of his contract, he would.

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/devonta-freeman/7002

Edited by jlrfalcon
Chaz and MoFalconsFan56 like this

5 minutes ago, jlrfalcon said:

Freeman had his first concussion and then his second and then his third and then got his big contract.  He has nothing to play for anymore and plenty to not play for anymore.

Notice how he avoids big hits as much as possible now.  If he could just sit on the bench the rest of his contract, he would.

Chillin , Screen_Shot_2014-08-06_at_3.08.37_AM.png

Chaz and MoFalconsFan56 like this

Posted (edited)

No.

reasons why:

1.  That missed block in the Super Bowl still on his mind.  If he picks up that block Falcons are Super Bowl Champs.  That’s Tough on a person.

2.  His body can’t take it so he only has so much left.  If he doesn’t get going this year his career will end within the next two years.  No one will want to take a chance on him.

3.  The fact that he has had multiple concussions is scary.  This alone is reason to WALK AWAY.

the question is what will the NFL look like in 10 years?  Seems like more talent is walking away and choosing other sports, less kids playing football, law suits, more penalties, etc.

Edited by BFG
MAD597 and Chaz like this

44 minutes ago, caponine said:

I still think losing Coleman has hurt this offense tbh , whatever way people want to spin it. He produced everytime he was on the field. When Freeman didn't have good games. Coleman took over. Now the offense looks anemic. Dont think that's a coincidence. 

I liked Coleman but probably not as much as you.  

I will say that (and I've posted this a few times over the years) when Coleman got hurt in the super bowl, I told my wife, 'We're in trouble now'.  

She just laughed and said, 'Come on, it's 28-12!'  I just said, 'You watch'.   And we all know the rest.  

I think him being out of the game took some punch out of the offense and it just combined with all the other bad mojo that piled up.   

GrooRules and PokerSteve like this

6 minutes ago, octoslash said:

I liked Coleman but probably not as much as you.  

I will say that (and I've posted this a few times over the years) when Coleman got hurt in the super bowl, I told my wife, 'We're in trouble now'.  

She just laughed and said, 'Come on, it's 28-12!'  I just said, 'You watch'.   And we all know the rest.  

I think him being out of the game took some punch out of the offense and it just combined with all the other bad mojo that piled up.   

Coleman is my favorite player but that's besides the point. When Freeman doesnt produce , you could always count on Coleman to step up. Jets Game, Tampa, Dallas, Eagles, Denver, Ramd etc. This offense misses him, you can tell. The running game and rbs just aren't the same. 

GrooRules likes this

For the money we are giving Freeman we can do better.  Freeman is predictable, easy to stop, and prone to injury.  Too bad he suks up so much cap money.  He would be better at this point as a backup.  He needs less touches to keep him fresh.

It used to look impossible at times to tackle him in a one on one matchup now it’s pretty much over immediately. I don’t see any explosiveness or any type of elusiveness just seems to be a guy going through the motions. Thanks for a couple years of success. Next. 

No, to many concussions and knee and groin injuries. Huge mistake signing a RB like him to a long contract.

My opinion, from what I've seen, no. Freeman is done. The quicks are not there any more. He was never a fast guy, but he had good quicks. He use to be able to throw a studder step and get around guys. If you watch him now, that doesn't happen. He gets tackled. 

If an alley is there he can run through it which is what he did last week. He no longer is a "factor back". We need a threat back there and I don't see him being that any longer. Good while it lasted, injury years took a lot out of him. 

MoFalconsFan56 likes this

1 hour ago, caponine said:

Coleman is my favorite player but that's besides the point. When Freeman doesnt produce , you could always count on Coleman to step up. Jets Game, Tampa, Dallas, Eagles, Denver, Ramd etc. This offense misses him, you can tell. The running game and rbs just aren't the same. 

Too bad we dont have a young big back like Ollison to come in and wear down the defense. :ninja:

Not that he is going to anyway, but he has no chance behind a makeshift banged-up line. He could be useful 3rd down out of the backfield pass target maybe. I'm huge Free fan was really pulling for him but think they need to shift gears give the running game to Ito and Ollison, its just basic football. You have to run the ball effectively to set up the pass, Falcons can do neither. get the running game going nothing grows and jells an OL better than grinding it out football.

⚡Slumerican⚡ likes this

41 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

No, to many concussions and knee and groin injuries. Huge mistake signing a RB like him to a long contract.

Should have been a red flag when his agent began demanding a contract so fast.. If TD was really smart he would have known something was up

1 minute ago, putnam6 said:

Not that he is going to anyway, but he has no chance behind a makeshift banged-up line. He could be useful 3rd down out of the backfield pass target maybe. I'm huge Free fan was really pulling for him but think they need to shift gears give the running game to Ito and Ollison, its just basic football. You have to run the ball effectively to set up the pass, Falcons can do neither. get the running game going nothing grows and jells an OL better than grinding it out football.

Idk what needs to happen, but looks like this year is going to be a complete waste for Ollison. I just dont get Quinns logic on keeping him off the field 

I don't -the injuries have slowed him down some -I think he should split carries with ITO and cut in the offseason. Ollison needs sum burn why draft the guy if hes going to be inactive most games.