Deshaun Watson tells story of Asante Samuel giving him $1,000 for getting his mouthpiece

birdz4i

Oct 3, 2019, 10:26 AM

It apparently pays to be a ball boy in the NFL.

When Deshaun Watson was young, he spent time as a ball boy for the Atlanta Falcons, and he’d do various odd jobs when the players needed something. He also threw to the Falcons receivers some. During his time being around the Falcons, he became a star quarterback at Gainesville High School in Georgia.

ESPN.com’s Sarah Barshop wrote about Watson’s experience as one of the Falcons’ ball boys before Watson’s Houston Texans take on the Falcons this Sunday.

And Barshop got Watson to share a doozy of a story about former Falcons cornerback Asante Samuel.

Deshaun Watson got a nice tip from Asante Samuel

Watson told Barshop that one day during practice, Samuel was doing a special-teams drill when he realized he forgot his mouthpiece in his locker. Samuel, a four-time Pro Bowler who spent his final two seasons with Atlanta, asked Watson to go get it for him. That was the type of thing ball boys would do. Samuel told Watson to see him after practice.

“So I went to his locker after practice, and he pulled out his Louis [Vuitton] bag and pulled out a whole stack of money, and he gave me like $1,000, just to go get his mouthpiece,” Watson said. “He didn’t have to give me anything, but he did.”

Watson said that was a lesson for him in how to treat people. Watson has carried that on. Even as a rookie there were heartwarming stories about him treating everyone in the Texans organization well.

Watson’s time as a ball boy benefited him

Watson started as a ball boy at age 14, and the Falcons asked him back every year Watson was in high school. Not only was it working with the team in training camp, but Barshop wrote the ball boys were allowed on the sideline and in the locker room on game days.

Watson said being around an NFL team growing up helped him immensely. He told Barshop the experience “taught me how to really work.”

There are also tales of Watson being nervous throwing to star receivers like Roddy White, though those nerves dissipated over time. Julio Jones said he knew Watson was going to be a good quarterback and “I tried to get him to go to Alabama.” Watson went to Clemson, and he beat Alabama in the national championship game.

Who knows? Maybe there’s a ball boy on an NFL team that is honing his craft and becoming the next Deshaun Watson.

“I always think about it,” Watson told ESPN. “That’s something that helped change my life.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/deshaun-watson-tells-story-of-asante-samuel-giving-him-1000-for-getting-his-mouthpiece-142643054.html

17 hours ago, birdz4i said:
Oct 3, 2019, 10:26 AM

It apparently pays to be a ball boy in the NFL.

When Deshaun Watson was young, he spent time as a ball boy for the Atlanta Falcons, and he’d do various odd jobs when the players needed something. He also threw to the Falcons receivers some. During his time being around the Falcons, he became a star quarterback at Gainesville High School in Georgia.

ESPN.com’s Sarah Barshop wrote about Watson’s experience as one of the Falcons’ ball boys before Watson’s Houston Texans take on the Falcons this Sunday.

And Barshop got Watson to share a doozy of a story about former Falcons cornerback Asante Samuel.

Deshaun Watson got a nice tip from Asante Samuel

Watson told Barshop that one day during practice, Samuel was doing a special-teams drill when he realized he forgot his mouthpiece in his locker. Samuel, a four-time Pro Bowler who spent his final two seasons with Atlanta, asked Watson to go get it for him. That was the type of thing ball boys would do. Samuel told Watson to see him after practice.

“So I went to his locker after practice, and he pulled out his Louis [Vuitton] bag and pulled out a whole stack of money, and he gave me like $1,000, just to go get his mouthpiece,” Watson said. “He didn’t have to give me anything, but he did.”

Watson said that was a lesson for him in how to treat people. Watson has carried that on. Even as a rookie there were heartwarming stories about him treating everyone in the Texans organization well.

Watson’s time as a ball boy benefited him

Watson started as a ball boy at age 14, and the Falcons asked him back every year Watson was in high school. Not only was it working with the team in training camp, but Barshop wrote the ball boys were allowed on the sideline and in the locker room on game days.

Watson said being around an NFL team growing up helped him immensely. He told Barshop the experience “taught me how to really work.”

There are also tales of Watson being nervous throwing to star receivers like Roddy White, though those nerves dissipated over time. Julio Jones said he knew Watson was going to be a good quarterback and “I tried to get him to go to Alabama.” Watson went to Clemson, and he beat Alabama in the national championship game.

Who knows? Maybe there’s a ball boy on an NFL team that is honing his craft and becoming the next Deshaun Watson.

“I always think about it,” Watson told ESPN. “That’s something that helped change my life.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/deshaun-watson-tells-story-of-asante-samuel-giving-him-1000-for-getting-his-mouthpiece-142643054.html

For the life of me I still can’t figure out why so many pro athletes are broke a few years after being out of the league.

oh wait, this is how.  Paying people thousands of dollars a pop to get you a napkin and BS like this hahahaha

7 hours ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Ryan is too much of a ***** to do anything for his team mates.. I really feel this way. I know Ryan has had camps with his receivers, but as far as him going out of his way for the entire team.. I dont see it.. Lord knows hes probably strapped for cash

Not sure when was the last time he took his offensive line out for a treat or motivated them except yelling at them.

50 minutes ago, mattyicefalcon said:

Not sure when was the last time he took his offensive line out for a treat or motivated them except yelling at them.

I thought you treated your O-Line when the did exceptionally well. You mean on top of them earning their NFL check, the QB also has to take them out despite mediocre blocking?? Plus I remember a story about him buying the whole line those expensive green egg things just a couple seasons ago.

Edited by A Pimp Named Slickback™

5 hours ago, Is This What You Want? said:

For the life of me I still can’t figure out why so many pro athletes are broke a few years after being out of the league.

oh wait, this is how.  Paying people thousands of dollars a pop to get you a napkin and BS like this hahahaha

Asante could afford to give the kid $1,000, and he knew it would be used constructively. It also changed that person's life and made him conscious of giving back when he had the opportunity.

Not a frivolous, empty gesture because you have too much money type of act. It was a wise investment and the world is reaping the return watching this kid play in the NFL. I'm sure Asante would say he'd spend that $1,000 again the same way in a heartbeat.

29 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Asante could afford to give the kid $1,000, and he knew it would be used constructively. It also changed that person's life and made him conscious of giving back when he had the opportunity.

Not a frivolous, empty gesture because you have too much money type of act. It was a wise investment and the world is reaping the return watching this kid play in the NFL. I'm sure Asante would say he'd spend that $1,000 again the same way in a heartbeat.

Good lesson or not for Deshaun, it is still frivolous and financially irresponsible.  I personally view it as a lesson as how not to be stupid with your money.  Charitable giving is great, but that wasn’t charitable, it was ridiculous.

we can disagree and that is fine.  But I won’t be broke 3 years after retiring.

16 hours ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Ryan is too much of a ***** to do anything for his team mates.. I really feel this way. I know Ryan has had camps with his receivers, but as far as him going out of his way for the entire team.. I dont see it.. Lord knows hes probably strapped for cash

This is a ***** comment to make. You don't know this man personally. Being critical of his play is one thing, but this is some punk @ss ****.