Maybe this is what is wrong

First, let me say, I've been disgusted and shocked by the poor level of play we've seen this year. And I'm _not_ one of the eternal optimists with a need to look for hope under every cloud -- my style is more, if it sucks, say it sucks.

But ... here are a couple of possible guesses at what is wrong, and it turns out, some of them _might_ be reason for a tiny bit of hope.

I don't really feel that hope at the moment -- I think we're in the crapper and it seems most likely we won't break out of it this year. But here are some things to think about:

1. Maybe a lot of the defensive struggles come from "new scheme".

Wait, what? This is DQ's scheme and he's been here 5 years, right? Yes, but he said in the offseason he felt the scheme needed updating to adjust to the evolution of NFL offenses. Maybe his tweaks are deep enough that it causes some of the growing pains of a new scheme, and maybe they'll turn the corner in the next 2 or 3 games.

2. Maybe a lot of the struggles come from an incredibly poor job of not getting truly ready for the start of the season.

Remember how Smitty used to have us ready, solid, disciplined and strong in game 1? But come the playoffs, we didn't seem to be able to have a higher gear.

In contrast, DQ has always tended to have us not quite ready for our first several games. We get better as the season progresses.

Maybe he really blew it this year even worse than ever, and our level of season-readiness is where other teams are in the middle of training camp.

Of course, if that's so, it's pathetic ... it's one he11 of a mistake for a professional head coach and there's no excuse.

But ... if that is true, it means there could be reason for hope. Maybe we won't sleepwalk and suck _all_ year. Maybe as we start to catch up to season-readiness, we'll finally get rolling.

Quinn treats pre season like a race to see who can get out of pre season with the fewest injuries. He rests starters and a lot of snaps go to guys who don't even make the team. This does no good cause as soon as the season starts the team is not ready and you have a bunch of injuries in the first part of the season because players are not mentally and physically ready and when they are not ready they make mistakes that can cause injuries.

His view is wrong, this is a team sport and if the majority of your team has been relaxing all off season they will be f'd when real games come around.

Play everyone in  pre season, work them into game shape, if you have injuries then you deal with them then since you have more time in the pre season to make roster adjustments.

Treat Pre season like it's survival of the fittest, who ever makes it out of pre season alive is what you form your team around. A team that is ready for the Regular season is much better than one off stars that rested all off season.

As far as Scheme on defense goes Quinn's system has been figured out and he can't adapt in game planning or adapt during the game.

This team is awful the coaches are inept and not qualified and this season is already toast.

Think the Titans loss was the nail in the coffin tbh , you still have to play Rams, Seahawks, 49ers, and the NFC south and they are definitely not sweeping any team in south this year. Not to mention they still play the Jaguars. We haven't even started playing any nfc south teams yet.  It ain't looking good 

Edited by caponine

6 minutes ago, falken said:

I expected us to be 2-2 at this point. So, really, we're just one win off my expectations. Doesn't make me happy but it's crazy to be calling for wholesale changes at this point,

It’s not the record, it’s how the team is playing right now. Wasn’t even competitive in most games. These two weeks will set the tone for rest of the season.

11 minutes ago, falken said:

I expected us to be 2-2 at this point. So, really, we're just one win off my expectations. Doesn't make me happy but it's crazy to be calling for wholesale changes at this point,

The record is not the concern it's the Eye test of watching this team that is the major concern. We could have lucked into being 4-0 and with the way we have played I'd still think we are doomed this year.

2 hours ago, DriveHomeSafelyAtlantaWins said:

First, let me say, I've been disgusted and shocked by the poor level of play we've seen this year. And I'm _not_ one of the eternal optimists with a need to look for hope under every cloud -- my style is more, if it sucks, say it sucks.

But ... here are a couple of possible guesses at what is wrong, and it turns out, some of them _might_ be reason for a tiny bit of hope.

I don't really feel that hope at the moment -- I think we're in the crapper and it seems most likely we won't break out of it this year. But here are some things to think about:

1. Maybe a lot of the defensive struggles come from "new scheme".

Wait, what? This is DQ's scheme and he's been here 5 years, right? Yes, but he said in the offseason he felt the scheme needed updating to adjust to the evolution of NFL offenses. Maybe his tweaks are deep enough that it causes some of the growing pains of a new scheme, and maybe they'll turn the corner in the next 2 or 3 games.

2. Maybe a lot of the struggles come from an incredibly poor job of not getting truly ready for the start of the season.

Remember how Smitty used to have us ready, solid, disciplined and strong in game 1? But come the playoffs, we didn't seem to be able to have a higher gear.

In contrast, DQ has always tended to have us not quite ready for our first several games. We get better as the season progresses.

Maybe he really blew it this year even worse than ever, and our level of season-readiness is where other teams are in the middle of training camp.

Of course, if that's so, it's pathetic ... it's one he11 of a mistake for a professional head coach and there's no excuse.

But ... if that is true, it means there could be reason for hope. Maybe we won't sleepwalk and suck _all_ year. Maybe as we start to catch up to season-readiness, we'll finally get rolling.

Well, I appreciate you seeing the glass half full, That's a nice trate to have,, I'm like that most of the time,,  But in the NFL ,, a half glass full team will only get the team half way to where we all want to go..  we've got to have the other half taken care of also ,, IMO,,

1, The half glass full is......... We have the players to be a great team ,, that is a huge task , but we have that taken care of..  But we have to deal wth the other half of the glass that is empty.. and that is what is killing our hopes of doing anything this year...

2. The half empty glass is...... WE don't have the right HC and scheme to win with this year unless they make a drastic change , and most of the time teams give to much time to try and adjust.. I personally don't think the Coaches we have right now can get it done. So that is the recipe for a Sad year for us Fans.. It most likely will take at least a half of this season for them to realize they need to make a change,  And by that time we will be out of the playoff picture..  I've been watching this team for 47 years, that was since I was 15 when I became a Fan. And most of the time they will wait to long...  Hoping for a change sooner rather than latter.. to me, that's our only hope.

3 hours ago, MAD597 said:

Quinn treats pre season like a race to see who can get out of pre season with the fewest injuries. He rests starters and a lot of snaps go to guys who don't even make the team. This does no good cause as soon as the season starts the team is not ready and you have a bunch of injuries in the first part of the season because players are not mentally and physically ready and when they are not ready they make mistakes that can cause injuries.

His view is wrong, this is a team sport and if the majority of your team has been relaxing all off season they will be f'd when real games come around.

Play everyone in  pre season, work them into game shape, if you have injuries then you deal with them then since you have more time in the pre season to make roster adjustments.

Treat Pre season like it's survival of the fittest, who ever makes it out of pre season alive is what you form your team around. A team that is ready for the Regular season is much better than one off stars that rested all off season.

As far as Scheme on defense goes Quinn's system has been figured out and he can't adapt in game planning or adapt during the game.

This team is awful the coaches are inept and not qualified and this season is already toast.

If Quinn survives to next year, I hope he stops fearing injuries in preseason.  Be the only team to play your starters the first 2.5 quarters every preseason game.  Blow out the other teams second unit with your first unit.  Set a mindset of dominance.  This team lacks confidence.  

But I get tired of teams simply trying to avoid injuries in the preseason. Get your team prepared. If you lose a player to injury, so be it

2 hours ago, caponine said:

Think the Titans loss was the nail in the coffin tbh , you still have to play Rams, Seahawks, 49ers, and the NFC south and they are definitely not sweeping any team in south this year. Not to mention they still play the Jaguars. We haven't even started playing any nfc south teams yet.  It ain't looking good 

Minshew is going to ginsu our defense

4 minutes ago, Falcons In 2012 said:

If Quinn survives to next year, I hope he stops fearing injuries in preseason.  Be the only team to play your starters the first 2.5 quarters every preseason game.  Blow out the other teams second unit with your first unit.  Set a mindset of dominance.  This team lacks confidence.  

But I get tired of teams simply trying to avoid injuries in the preseason. Get your team prepared. If you lose a player to injury, so be it

Yep, I'd rather have an injury in pre season while roster are still in flux and you have more time to adjust and get another person on the team then the 1st 4 games of the season when roster are more locked.

16 hours ago, MAD597 said:

Yep, I'd rather have an injury in pre season while roster are still in flux and you have more time to adjust and get another person on the team then the 1st 4 games of the season when roster are more locked.

Or at least, better to have the team _actually ready to take the field_, than to have no injuries but not even be able to compete.