Blitzing - Let's Look at a Few..

To everyone who wants to just blitz and stop playing so soft... quiet as kept, you've been getting your wish.

5 man pressure...

giphy.gif

5 man pressure...

giphy.gif

5 man pressure with a Beasley special...

giphy.gif

5 man pressure with a muddy pre-snap look...

giphy.gif

All it's doing is making it easier on the QB.

PMF I want more over fronts 4 man rush and play coverage behind it.

I’d be showing blitz and back people off at the snap.Walk people up at different spots.

Also I would give Grace a shot at WLBer and use him in coverage to change it up Campbell and Foye seem to be really struggling right now I’d give Grace a shot in these pass situations.

I’d also give Clayborn and Takk as a tandem outside in these over fronts aswell.

Here's one that's actually nicely designed.  Mugged the A gaps with Takk and Beasely then drop both back and the slot corner comes off one side, Campbell covering the flexed TE from the other.  We just went full Falcon on it.

3bjwl2.gif

And here's the other one that I really liked.  It is a slot pressure, but what really makes it is the disguise.  We held it right til the very end.  Look how long the corner holds his water before he shows his hand, then Rico simultaneously spins down right before the snap.  Makes it impossible for the offense to change the protection.  And the coverage on the back end was outstanding.  This might have been DQ's best call of the year.  Shame we haven't been able to recreate that Eagle performance.

-J36NJ.gif

Shout out to @SPITFIRE on that gamepass.  Good looking out, bro.

18 minutes ago, RazorWing said:

They need to blitz them like they did the 15-1 panthers 3 years ago. They need to do some uncharacteristic things on defense the Texans dont look for.

I just went back and looked at every Carolina pass play in that game.  Outside of three plays, we were bringing 4 the whole game.  And one of those was a run blitz we got caught in that Cam wound up pulling and throwing a TD.

25 minutes ago, RazorWing said:

They need to blitz them like they did the 15-1 panthers 3 years ago. They need to do some uncharacteristic things on defense the Texans dont look for.

4 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I just went back and looked at every Carolina pass play in that game.  Outside of three plays, we were bringing 4 the whole game.  And one of those was a run blitz we got caught in that Cam wound up pulling and throwing a TD.

Mug the A gaps.  Campbell rushes, Deion drops and takes the #3 receiver.

zbqff2.gif

Looks like we got caught in a run blitz.

sHnUcn.gif

Show pressure up the middle again.  Deion drops.  Corner comes, but that was it.  We didn't pressure that game any more than usual or do anything exotic.  It was 4 man rush and playing solid on the back end.

q29jGG.gif

11 minutes ago, vel said:

Another theme, they aren't playing team football. That play vs IND and the long TD vs TEN are the same thing. One player trying to do too much and make a play instead of rely on his teammates. Vic overruns the IND play then Trufant overruns the TEN play. 

Vic could have destoyed that man if he had an inkling of instinct and positioning. He literally took 3 defenders out of the play smh

5 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

But PMF, the blitz has to get there or at least put pressure up in the QBs face. We just aren't doing that. 5 sacks in 4 games. Something has to change. 

Agreed.  Solution: stop blitzing, especially out of base.  All it's doing is taking a man out of the middle of the field.  Our 4 man rush has been productive.  Why DQ continues to take men out of coverage and expose the back end is a mystery.

4 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Agreed.  Solution: stop blitzing, especially out of base.  All it's doing is taking a man out of the middle of the field.  Our 4 man rush has been productive.  Why DQ continues to take men out of coverage and expose the back end is a mystery.

I liked seeing Cominsky out there early in the game. Get him to speed please so Takk/Vic/AC aren't playing too often. Looks like he is on the field vs the run formation/personnel in Base D early in the game vs the Titans:

Imagine being able to run the 21 or 12 personnel with just 1 WR and getting those results...

We sent 5 and our LBs all have to respect the playaction. Easy over the middle pass to Brown behind the drawn up LBs.

If we gonna blitz a run look is there no way to cover the middle of the field on Brown to begin with??

But ya...Trufant lets a big play become a disaster. Even being beaten with sending a blitz, you don't expect THAT play to turn into a TD. He should've pushed Brown up to Allen instead of overrunning it. Reminds me a bit of the play Brian Poole boxed out Robert Alford trying to tackle Drew Brees on his rush TD last year in Atlanta...

Like...anyone gonna look like a world beater when you beat yourself that badly.

4 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

I liked seeing Cominsky out there early in the game. Get him to speed please so Takk/Vic/AC aren't playing too often. Looks like he is on the field vs the run formation/personnel in Base D early in the game vs the Titans:

Agreed, especially on Vic.  Continuing to force him out there in base is seriously hurting our defense because he's not a linebacker as we can see, and if he's out there rushing, we see what those 5 man rushes look like.  You're just taking a defender out of coverage and making us that much more predictable.

Time to make him what he is -- a situational pass rusher.  Get Cominsky and/or Clay out there and an actual linebacker.

8 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Agreed, especially on Vic.  Continuing to force him out there in base is seriously hurting our defense because he's not a linebacker as we can see, and if he's out there rushing, we see what those 5 man rushes look like.  You're just taking a defender out of coverage and making us that much more predictable.

Time to make him what he is -- a situational pass rusher.  Get Cominsky and/or Clay out there and an actual linebacker.

Only trouble with this is Cominsky is in possibly because Takk can't play Base either! :ninja:

...or at least has had trouble with doing his job vs the run first in run looks/early downs...set the edge.

1 minute ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Only trouble with this is Cominsky is in possibly because Takk can't play Base either! :ninja:

...or at least has had trouble with doing his job vs the run first in run looks/early downs...set the edge.

He can rotate on the other side with Clay, but hey, if he can't play in base, I'm okay with that, too.  All I want out of Takk at this point is him rushing the passer.

24 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Thoughts on not Jamming receivers and giving them free runs off the line while we blitz?

1 minute ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

He can rotate on the other side with Clay, but hey, if he can't play in base, I'm okay with that, too.  All I want out of Takk at this point is him rushing the passer.

If our offense becomes what it's capable of we will see plenty of Vic and Takk rushing the passer more often than teams staying in heavy looks vs our Base:

13 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Imagine being able to run the 21 or 12 personnel with just 1 WR and getting those results...

We sent 5 and our LBs all have to respect the playaction. Easy over the middle pass to Brown behind the drawn up LBs.

If we gonna blitz a run look is there no way to cover the middle of the field on Brown to begin with??

But ya...Trufant lets a big play become a disaster. Even being beaten with sending a blitz, you don't expect THAT play to turn into a TD. He should've pushed Brown up to Allen instead of overrunning it. Reminds me a bit of the play Brian Poole boxed out Robert Alford trying to tackle Drew Brees on his rush TD last year in Atlanta...

Like...anyone gonna look like a world beater when you beat yourself that badly.

The problem is, per usual, Trufant's lack of awareness of the situation. Why he's peeling off of Brown is a question nobody will know the answer to. It's a 1 WR formation and he's guarding the lone WR. Like you said, from there it was just poor team football. Trufant is over running Brown the entire time when Brown is running to Tru's help. It's just bad football. 

7 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

That's what happens when you invest $13MM in a flawed player...