Jump to content

October 2019 Recruiting Thread


Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, LawDawg said:

Sucks that the top 2 prospects in GA are going elsewhere. And as it stands now, we only have 2 of the top 25 in GA. That's unacceptable.

 

Is it though?  Out of those top 25, how many was UGA really going hard after?  2, maybe 3?

UGA also went into California and took the #4 player.  Went into Florida and took the 6th, 11th and 23rd player.  Took the 3rd and 22nd highest rated player from Louisiana and the number 15 and 22nd players from Texas.

Outside of Murphy, Gilbert and Hinton, who would you trade out of this class for?

*** And still in it for the #1 nationally ranked RB, the # 2 ranked ILB, the #3 ranked TE, the #1 ranked athlete and and a cb from the desert, who happens to be ranked first at his position.

Yes, terrible times with this dreadful recruiting class.

Edited by Turkeydawg
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Asked a guy I trust on recruiting info about Ringo and he said he had not heard anything new about Oregon and would be surprised if things had changed with him. He messaged me again a couple hours lat

Some nice UGA Nuggets Georgia football: These defensive stats are insane “This Georgia defense is the best in the conference and one of the few best in the entire NCAA. Yesterday proved

I hope some of our whiny fans decommit and become Bama fans.

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Is it though?  Out of those top 25, how many was UGA really going hard after?  2, maybe 3?

UGA also went into California and took the #4 player.  Went into Florida and took the 6th, 11th and 23rd player.  Took the 3rd and 22nd highest rated player from Louisiana and the number 15 and 22nd players from Texas.

Outside of Murphy, Gilbert and Hinton, who would you trade out of this class for?

*** And still in it for the #1 nationally ranked RB, the # 2 ranked ILB, the #3 ranked TE, the #1 ranked athlete and and a cb from the desert, who happens to be ranked first at his position.

Yes, terrible times with this dreadful recruiting class.

I think you're missing his point. He wants more GA guys vs just going for the highest rated everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't sugarcoat not signing Gilbert. A generational type tight end prospect from Georgia.  First round draft pick potential.  Would've fit perfectly with Kirby's ground and pound offensive style where he couldve opened it up even more for Georgia because that dude is double coverage...

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Is it though?  Out of those top 25, how many was UGA really going hard after?  2, maybe 3?

UGA also went into California and took the #4 player.  Went into Florida and took the 6th, 11th and 23rd player.  Took the 3rd and 22nd highest rated player from Louisiana and the number 15 and 22nd players from Texas.

Outside of Murphy, Gilbert and Hinton, who would you trade out of this class for?

*** And still in it for the #1 nationally ranked RB, the # 2 ranked ILB, the #3 ranked TE, the #1 ranked athlete and and a cb from the desert, who happens to be ranked first at his position.

Yes, terrible times with this dreadful recruiting class.

No one said this was a dreadful class. And yes, we're doing well with another crop of out-of-staters this year as we did last year (snatching the top 2 from AL was awesome). But GA has the richest and most diverse talent pool of any state outside of CA, FL, and TX (even on par with them in certain years), so there's no reason we shouldn't be able sign more than a couple in the top 10, let alone the top 25.

Just saying that the talent is rich enough in our own backyard. So rich that schools like Bama and Clemson have routinely plucked our talent to build their championship teams. These kids are good enough for them, but not us? I hate losing out on our homegrown top talent.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ovie_Lover said:

Same but some feel coaches will be upset we dont get their players and when they do have guys we want they'll push them somewhere else. 

He may not feel that way but some do.

That’s something that every school has to deal with, just like when players get their feelings hurt when they weren’t offered in 8th grade.  I’m not worried about it.  If it were a situation where the staff did a player wrong, I could see a coach possibly steering a kid elsewhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Spts1 said:

Can't sugarcoat not signing Gilbert. A generational type tight end prospect from Georgia.  First round draft pick potential.  Would've fit perfectly with Kirby's ground and pound offensive style where he couldve opened it up even more for Georgia because that dude is double coverage...

Another generational player!  Just like Nauta was.  Let’s see how Gilbert does in college, before crowning him the next Tony Gonzalez.  Nauta was the best TE coming out of high school.  Irv Smith was the 22nd best.  So there’s that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LawDawg said:

No one said this was a dreadful class. And yes, we're doing well with another crop of out-of-staters this year as we did last year (snatching the top 2 from AL was awesome). But GA has the richest and most diverse talent pool of any state outside of CA, FL, and TX (even on par with them in certain years), so there's no reason we shouldn't be able sign more than a couple in the top 10, let alone the top 25.

Just saying that the talent is rich enough in our own backyard. So rich that schools like Bama and Clemson have routinely plucked our talent to build their championship teams. These kids are good enough for them, but not us? I hate losing out on our homegrown top talent.

 

Other than Murphy, Gilbert and Hinton, who from this class would you trade out for a homegrown Georgia boy?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Same but some feel coaches will be upset we dont get their players and when they do have guys we want they'll push them somewhere else. 

He may not feel that way but some do.

If a Georgia HS coach is actively steering kids away from this staff at UGA, they don’t have the player’s best interests at heart. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Another generational player!  Just like Nauta was.  Let’s see how Gilbert does in college, before crowning him the next Tony Gonzalez.  Nauta was the best TE coming out of high school.  Irv Smith was the 22nd best.  So there’s that.

Nauta has Nauta on Gilbert. Different type player...

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Other than Murphy, Gilbert and Hinton, who from this class would you trade out for a homegrown Georgia boy?

With the addition of those 3 homegrown Georgia boys, we'd (currently) have the top 3 in this state and half of the top 10. That's my point.

It's not about trading out. We still have 6 or so spots to fill, but most of our homegrown top 25 talent appear to be heading elsewhere.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Another generational player!  Just like Nauta was.  Let’s see how Gilbert does in college, before crowning him the next Tony Gonzalez.  Nauta was the best TE coming out of high school.  Irv Smith was the 22nd best.  So there’s that.

He’s a troll.  Just ignore him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LawDawg said:

With the addition of those 3 homegrown Georgia boys, we'd (currently) have the top 3 in this state and half of the top 10. That's my point.

It's not about trading out. We still have 6 or so spots to fill, but most of our homegrown top 25 talent appear to be heading elsewhere.

 

 

 

Well, 1 went to Stanford because of academics.  Sorry, nothing UGA could do there.  UGA wanted the other 2, but they saw a better fit elsewhere.  No school is going to get every player they want, home state or not.  To think otherwise is unrealistic.

Edited by Turkeydawg
Link to post
Share on other sites

Some years we will take more instate kids. Some years we won’t. This staff has worked hard to be able to recruit at a higher level than before, which means recruiting nationally if a player is a better fit or more talented than a local kid. If we prioritize a Georgia kid I think we have to land that player, but ultimately it’s the player’s choice and we can’t limit our recruiting.

Staff wants Gilbert pretty badly, but his interests and what we have to offer don’t align to his liking. It’s his choice and more power to him. We will get Washington who is literally rated one spot behind Gilbert on the 247 composite and everyone has said he is a better fit for our team anyway. Would love to have Gilbert also but I’m perfectly fine with it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...