Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carter

October 2019 Recruiting Thread

447 posts in this topic

I'm worried about losing Cook in the transfer portal, if we don't start getting him more involved. 

45 minutes ago, sdogg said:

I'm worried about losing Cook in the transfer portal, if we don't start getting him more involved. 

Doubtful he leaves.  He is just going to have to wait his turn.  He will see more action next year and will probably add some more weight, allowing him to be more than just a perimeter player.  He needs to be able to handle pass pro and not be a liability.

Bdawg58 likes this

1 hour ago, Bdawg58 said:

Right now it’s believed we have more guys that want in than we have spots. 

Edited by Turkeydawg

if we miss on Sewell is there any chance the staff goes hard after Trenton Simpson?  Kid is gonna be a stud?  Or do they go bpa and not take an ilb?  Same goes for te.  If they miss on Theo, is it bpa, or is their another te that the staff would target?

1 hour ago, sdogg said:

No use to think about that now. We're barely going to be halfway through the season this week and still have our biggest conference games ahead of us. His skillset will create mismatch opportunities against Florida and Auburn. Defenses have been biting hard on any action involving Cook, he has been involved in the game plan. It's only a matter of time before he gets more touches.

We will also lose Swift and Herrien after this season, so Zeus and Cook would be our thunder and lightning combo with Mac picking up carries and Milton + whoever we get with him. Gibbs is quickly becoming my preference for 2nd RB in this class if Evans isn't. Not much sense in him transferring unless he is miserable in Athens, which I have not heard. He's being patient.

3 hours ago, sdogg said:

He’d be dumb for leaving. He and Zeus will be one and two next season. No other team in America utilizes multiple backs like we do. 

sdogg and g-dawg like this

9 hours ago, Carter said:

Gibbs is quickly becoming my preference for 2nd RB in this class if Evans isn't.

Yes.  This Evans situation is worrisome.  There are obviously some serious concerns by the UGA staff, to not allow a kid with his talent to commit.  The kid is a stud, but ultimately could be a locker room distraction.  Hope he figures it out.

95Dawg likes this

How is everyone feeling about Beck at this point? I know the party line has been to not worry about his performance on the field this season because his OL (and/or the entire team) sucks, but to that end, great players make others better... if his strength is understanding their offense and knowing how to read defenses, I'd expect him to perform just a little better than he has this year.

Any chance we target a second higher caliber QB this cycle? Is it grad transfer or bust?

Luke Doty would seem to be an interesting target now that USCe has had to start Hilinski this year... might be harder to unseat him and we'd have a more attractive QB depth chart in 2020... just don't know whether he'd 1) have any interest in leaving the state of SC or 2) if our staff has any interest at all.

Maybe our staff isn't remotely concerned, but having trouble meshing the reality with the expectations and what we need coming into 2020 from whatever QB(s) we pick up this cycle.

Just now, fibonaccisquared said:

How is everyone feeling about Beck at this point? I know the party line has been to not worry about his performance on the field this season because his OL (and/or the entire team) sucks, but to that end, great players make others better... if his strength is understanding their offense and knowing how to read defenses, I'd expect him to perform just a little better than he has this year.

Any chance we target a second higher caliber QB this cycle? Is it grad transfer or bust?

Luke Doty would seem to be an interesting target now that USCe has had to start Hilinski this year... might be harder to unseat him and we'd have a more attractive QB depth chart in 2020... just don't know whether he'd 1) have any interest in leaving the state of SC or 2) if our staff has any interest at all.

Maybe our staff isn't remotely concerned, but having trouble meshing the reality with the expectations and what we need coming into 2020 from whatever QB(s) we pick up this cycle.

I’m fine with Beck, his team is horrible and it’s not his fault. If you watch the highlights this season he doesn’t have any time to throw the ball. That said I would have no problem taking a second QB in this class because of the questions surrounding Mathis and his health. 

95Dawg likes this

No problem with Beck..  he is running for his life and dealing with a very bad team around him.  I just hope he isn't affected by the abuse he gets this year.  

41 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

I’m fine with Beck, his team is horrible and it’s not his fault. If you watch the highlights this season he doesn’t have any time to throw the ball. That said I would have no problem taking a second QB in this class because of the questions surrounding Mathis and his health. 

Beck will be a fairly significant step down from Fromm.   We need Fromm in 2020 or our offense won’t be championship  caliber.  Just seems that 2020 is when we are most likely to see the best combo of offense and defense - IF - we still have Fromm.

Even if I am wrong about Beck, he’s not going to be good enough his Freshman year.

I’m perfectly content with Beck coming in this class. He has nothing around him this year but still forces good teams to press. STA coaches talked about how much they gameplanned for him and knew if they didn’t he would tear them up. Homie put some numbers on that defense too, though a lot of it came after the game was out of hand.

I really think Beck will be a very good QB. If we get Caleb Williams it may not matter though. Competing for a job at the college level, especially in an offense like ours, is night and day to what these guys do in high school though... so to a certain extent it’s hard to say how soon an exceptionally talented QB will be ready. I think Fromm comes back, but Beck could win the job in 2021 even with Williams potentially a true freshman, because of time/experience/knowledge advantage. Have to think it would be hard to hold off Williams in year 2 but who knows. Getting way ahead of myself here anyway lol

Bdawg58 likes this

44 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

His RT is a joke... :lol: Just watched a few of the highlight clips... 

Still, without a grad transfer or an electric QB add, I'll go ahead and say I'm skeptical that Beck could be anything more than a placeholder in 2020. Maybe we'll get lucky and Fromm will stick around, giving us one more year to get the next guy in, but if not, I for one will be prepared for some very real problems on offense... 

I'm not in the "Smart and Richt are basically the same dude" because they're clearly not - BUT - it is wild how we basically had a very similar issue with Greene/Shockley and Fromm/HeWhoShallNotBeNamed*... difference being that Shock (probably wrongly based on his utilization if we're being 100% honest) stuck around. Richt managed to pull Stafford in on the heels of those 2, Kirby still working on finding that next dude. 

Unfortunate that Caleb Williams and Gunner Stockton are still another year and two years away respectively... 

The one thing that does kind of work in our favor as far as QB goes is the transfer portal.  How many kids transferred last year alone as the dominos fell from Fields transferring. It hurt us this past year but it could also be a major tool to fill a void.  Lawrence Cager has been a huge pickup for us after we lost all our top guys at wr.  

1 minute ago, richham said:

The one thing that does kind of work in our favor as far as QB goes is the transfer portal.  How many kids transferred last year alone as the dominos fell from Fields transferring. It hurt us this past year but it could also be a major tool to fill a void.  Lawrence Cager has been a huge pickup for us after we lost all our top guys at wr.  

Problem for us is that QB @ UGA is not exactly a statistically appealing job. If you're Ohio State or Oklahoma, you are a very desirable landing spot for the right QB as you know that it's a great place to pad your stats and potentially elevate your draft status. Jake Fromm is one of the best QBs that UGA has ever had and he barely registers on heisman watch lists, he shows up as *a* top draft target, but not ever considered *the* top draft target...

Not to say we couldn't pluck a very fine QB out of the transfer portal, but just that it might be a little more challenging.

Wish there was a scenario where Caleb Williams could re-classify for 2020... put 2 years of separation between him and Gunner Stockton and give us an extra QB in this year's class... let him and Beck duke it out.

jeffro2000 likes this

Think it wouldn’t be a stretch to say there will be a huge drop off no matter what if from leaves, I thought beck looked really good, no matter how this year is, has the skill set to be great... but for sure if Fromm leaves and it’s between he and Bennett.. that will be bad. Transfer portal guy be great along w a grad transfer, need more depth - 

6 hours ago, fibonaccisquared said:

Problem for us is that QB @ UGA is not exactly a statistically appealing job. If you're Ohio State or Oklahoma, you are a very desirable landing spot for the right QB as you know that it's a great place to pad your stats and potentially elevate your draft status. Jake Fromm is one of the best QBs that UGA has ever had and he barely registers on heisman watch lists, he shows up as *a* top draft target, but not ever considered *the* top draft target...

Not to say we couldn't pluck a very fine QB out of the transfer portal, but just that it might be a little more challenging.

Wish there was a scenario where Caleb Williams could re-classify for 2020... put 2 years of separation between him and Gunner Stockton and give us an extra QB in this year's class... let him and Beck duke it out.

Point taken re: Oklahoma and Ohio State. But the same argument can be said of recruiting in general. And yet UGA has still managed to pull down great QBs.

1 hour ago, Beef said:

I still think Fromm comes back next year. 

The only chance I think he comes back is of we don’t win the Natty, we win he’s gone. He could easily be either the top or second best QB going into next year, so there’s definitely some incentive to come back for next season if we don’t win the championship 

31 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

The only chance I think he comes back is of we don’t win the Natty, we win he’s gone. He could easily be either the top or second best QB going into next year, so there’s definitely some incentive to come back for next season if we don’t win the championship 

If he goes early, he’s competing with Tua, Herbert, Eason, Burrow, and Hurts.

If he waits until 2021, he only has Lawrence and Fields, maybe Ehlinger but probably not.

Jake has said he wants his degree, and money isn’t an issue as his parents are well off.

I think he comes back, even if we won the natty.

Edited by Beef
sdogg, TheTrue7, m2Falcons and 1 other like this

2 hours ago, Bdawg58 said:

Fine by me.  If we win a natty, I can deal with the Mailman, or a grad transfer as our qb for a season.

11 hours ago, Turkeydawg said:

Fine by me.  If we win a natty, I can deal with the Mailman, or a grad transfer as our qb for a season.

Yeah, I think we all would be okay in that circumstance.

21 hours ago, fibonaccisquared said:

I understand your argument and I do agree for the most part, but again those are only 2 teams.  There were a ton of really good qbs that transferred this past year and I believe it will only grow next year.  So if you have a Fromm, Lawrence or Fields in front of you, and UGA or another top team is looking for a qb.  I mean Fields actually came here first.  So Kirby is able to sell these guys on success at Georgia even with an already entrenched top QB starting.  I'm just saying it presents us with other viable options for finding a guy if we really need one.  It kind of just occurred to me, wouldn't it seem like a better fit for Kirby's style to have a QB that can run and throw it?  

Edited by richham

So what's the latest on Zach Evans? I'm hearing he's visiting Texas A&M this weekend...

Edited by L.A.Falcon Fan