Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carter

October 2019 Recruiting Thread

447 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, WOR said:

Why would the highest ranked TE ever want to come to UGA? 

This isn't even a shot at Kirby really. 

Lot of highly ranked guys who were underutilized over the years. 

Or guys that were overrated.  Orson Charles and Leonard Pope put up good numbers at UGA, but most don’t catch a ton of balls.

1 minute ago, WOR said:

Why would the highest ranked TE ever want to come to UGA? 

This isn't even a shot at Kirby really. 

Lot of highly ranked guys who were underutilized over the years. 

Not shocking that UGA lost out on Gilbert given our TE usuage and Gilbert being a high maintenance kind of dude to boot.

What is shocking is the decision to go to LSU.

Everyone thought BAMA.

Wardog357 likes this

2 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

I don’t think he sticks with LSU.. just my guess/opinion 

Yeah if he does the proximity being a factor gets blown out of the water - what is it? 8 hour drive to Baton Rouge.

Bdawg58 likes this

Just now, g-dawg said:

Yeah if he does the proximity being a factor gets blown out of the water - what is it? 8 hour drive to Baton Rouge.

I really think UGA/Bama will be in the mix for a flip in December. LSU probably promised him he could play receiver and in that case good for Gilbert, wrong position but good for him.

g-dawg likes this

7 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Or guys that were overrated.  Orson Charles and Leonard Pope put up good numbers at UGA, but most don’t catch a ton of balls.

Idk if you can call them overrated when they produced whenever given a chance. 

Gilbert's recruitment is anything but over. LSU isn't exactly a surprise, but most were expecting Bama today. It has been said that his final 3 were all pretty close.

Gilbert is an EE so the pressure is only going to get cranked up.

g-dawg likes this

5 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

I really think UGA/Bama will be in the mix for a flip in December. LSU probably promised him he could play receiver and in that case good for Gilbert, wrong position but good for him.

Yeah, had Arik picked Bama or Clemson then much better chance of sticking.   I know LSU is a great program and having a great year but that is a heckuva long way to go with UGA, Bama & Clemson so much closer and as good or better.

I will tip my hat to Ed O and that new offensive staff though - phenomenal what they have done this year with that offense.

Bdawg58 likes this

5 minutes ago, Carter said:

Gilbert's recruitment is anything but over. LSU isn't exactly a surprise, but most were expecting Bama today. It has been said that his final 3 were all pretty close.

Gilbert is an EE so the pressure is only going to get cranked up.

Wanted AG but glad you see his recruitment as still open

Let the Games Begin!

11 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Wanted AG but glad you see his recruitment as still open

Let the Games Begin!

I mean I wouldn't characterize it as "open" but it's like Kirby says... that commitment just means you have a bigger target on your back. He may very well stick with LSU. Honestly, between the 3 programs LSU is probably the best fit for him if they stay with this offensive system and have a good QB coming up behind Burrow.

Bama and UGA have pretty similar TE usage. UGA has slightly more production from the position so far this year actually if I'm not mistaken. Bama has had Irv Smith and OJ Howard drafted fairly high recently, so that's a credit to them. We just haven't had those players. Orson Charles was the last super athletic TE we had. Woerner has lost all the athleticism he had in high school after putting on 30+ lbs at UGA. Nauta was a 5 star but looking back I'm not really sure why, he was never fast or exceptionally athletic like the others mentioned.

Insiders are rarely this wrong when a commitment date is known; reaks of the kid picking a school at the last minute without knowing for sure that's where he wants to go

Usually a kid decides where he wants to go, and then announces a commitment date to let everyone know, but occasionally a kid will decide they want to announce without actually really making their choice

This feels like the latter to me, but who really knows

g-dawg and Porter Osborne Jr like this

1 minute ago, VA F.O. said:

Insiders are rarely this wrong when a commitment date is known; reaks of the kid picking a school at the last minute without knowing for sure that's where he wants to go

Usually a kid decides where he wants to go, and then announces a commitment date to let everyone know, but occasionally a kid will decide they want to announce without actually really making their choice

This feels like the latter to me, but who really knows

Sounds about right, as he was still listening to 3  schools as of last night.

I've also been holding back on this since some of yall were on here complaining about mobile QB usage and not trusting this staff to actually change. We have been recruiting mobile QBs almost exclusively the past couple years. Beck is a mobile guy himself. If you actually look at our offense, a ton of it is designed for a dual threat. We don't even run much play action, instead running a lot of sets out of shotgun with RPOs off zone read action. Fromm just isn't a threat to keep it and do anything but pass. 

I will grant that Fields was mismanaged a bit and should have been given the opportunity to run the full offense later in games if we had settled on Fromm as our starter (which became abundantly clear was the case at LSU and certainly after), but that's not entirely why he left. Not trying to argue that again, but it does irk me to see him continually brought up when our offense has actually evolved a lot to fit a dual threat QB.

Really not impressed with Coley's playcalling, but I think the narrative that Kirby just wants to keep pounding the ball with a 2010 Bama offense is not accurate.

There are a couple guys I trust with info from the DMV area who say UGA is the clear leader right now for Caleb Williams and at the moment there isn't even a close 2nd. That can change of course as he is a 2021 recruit, but it is something to keep in mind. There is a lot of uncertainty regarding Jake Fromm staying or going pro early. He graduates in spring, so he will have his degree and there's some scuttle regarding him being ready to move on after this season.

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

Not shocking that UGA lost out on Gilbert given our TE usuage and Gilbert being a high maintenance kind of dude to boot.

What is shocking is the decision to go to LSU.

Everyone thought BAMA.

LSU is the trendy college right now. 

They can also say they can use him just like Jimmy Graham was used on the Saints. 

..that’d sell me as an athletic TE

7 minutes ago, mike teevee said:

They can also say they can use him just like Jimmy Graham was used on the Saints. 

..that’d sell me as an athletic TE

Who is Jimmy Graham?  :rolleyes:

I have a 17yr old that follows football and he is too young to remember a productive Jimmy Graham.   The player Graham was traded for has been retired for over a year.

1 hour ago, Carter said:

I've also been holding back on this since some of yall were on here complaining about mobile QB usage and not trusting this staff to actually change. We have been recruiting mobile QBs almost exclusively the past couple years. Beck is a mobile guy himself. If you actually look at our offense, a ton of it is designed for a dual threat. We don't even run much play action, instead running a lot of sets out of shotgun with RPOs off zone read action. Fromm just isn't a threat to keep it and do anything but pass. 

I will grant that Fields was mismanaged a bit and should have been given the opportunity to run the full offense later in games if we had settled on Fromm as our starter (which became abundantly clear was the case at LSU and certainly after), but that's not entirely why he left. Not trying to argue that again, but it does irk me to see him continually brought up when our offense has actually evolved a lot to fit a dual threat QB.

Really not impressed with Coley's playcalling, but I think the narrative that Kirby just wants to keep pounding the ball with a 2010 Bama offense is not accurate.

There are a couple guys I trust with info from the DMV area who say UGA is the clear leader right now for Caleb Williams and at the moment there isn't even a close 2nd. That can change of course as he is a 2021 recruit, but it is something to keep in mind. There is a lot of uncertainty regarding Jake Fromm staying or going pro early. He graduates in spring, so he will have his degree and there's some scuttle regarding him being ready to move on after this season.

Nice read and I won’t say more about Fields other than to say you won’t find a better dual threat than him that is equally good passing and running with that size.

As to Caleb Williams, that is terrific news and I believe he is the most important recruit for Kirby over these next two cycles and there’s not a close 2nd.  QB is the most important position - no matter what scheme you run and no matter if you prefer defense over offense.

As to Fromm,  I believe it important to the program for him to stay to keep UGA in national spotlight.   Obviously UGA talent gets better and better but could be severely muted with an average to below average QB.

Bdawg58 likes this

10 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Nice read and I won’t say more about Fields other than to say you won’t find a better dual threat than him that is equally good passing and running with that size.

As to Caleb Williams, that is terrific news and I believe he is the most important recruit for Kirby over these next two cycles and there’s not a close 2nd.  QB is the most important position - no matter what scheme you run and no matter if you prefer defense over offense.

As to Fromm,  I believe it important to the program for him to stay to keep UGA in national spotlight.   Obviously UGA talent gets better and better but could be severely muted with an average to below average QB.

I tend to agree regarding Williams. I've mentioned Gunner Stockton, but he is even a year behind Williams so he won't be a freshman in college until 2022. We really have no choice but to make Williams our most important priority. Mathis and Beck could both be very good QBs and I don't want to overlook that. Offenses tend to be limited with freshman and even sophomore QBs.

I'd even argue that as good as Ohio State has looked offensively, they're only going to be better next year with Fields having experience and the coaches trusting him with more responsibility on the field. Stuff that only comes with time in a system.

Hopefully Fromm does come back. I really don't know what to expect from the offense if the competition for starter is between Stetson Bennett, Dwan Mathis and Carson Beck. Two of the three won't have a single collegiate snap between them and Bennett is a former walk-on.

g-dawg likes this

Bama guys are already trying to run some bs about Bama shying away from Washington due to off the field issues.

:lol: 

Washington is an awesome dude and Bama took Jonathan Taylor after we dismissed him for domestic abuse.

Sour grapes are just more sour in the state of Alabama.

I am far less concerned about the TE position, than many seem to be.  Gilbert would have been a nice piece, but I still think he would have more of an impact on defense.  Seither will be a great player.  Terrance Edwards compared him to Irv Smith and said he was a better route runner than any of the current TE’s at UGA.  Not terrible measurable either: 6-5 and 235 pounds, with a 36 inch vertical and a 4.65 forty.

If UGA lands Washington and either Theo, or Henderson, the TE room will be in great shape. I would love to add another twitchy wr, along with Wren.

12 hours ago, Carter said:

Bama guys are already trying to run some bs about Bama shying away from Washington due to off the field issues.

:lol: 

Washington is an awesome dude and Bama took Jonathan Taylor after we dismissed him for domestic abuse.

Sour grapes are just more sour in the state of Alabama.

that fan base is one of the worst out there and their insiders are fan boys who are a disgrace to the profession.. 

Sucks that the top 2 prospects in GA are going elsewhere. And as it stands now, we only have 2 of the top 25 in GA. That's unacceptable.