Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ATL_666

Lack of Championships

72 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

This chart lists all cities that have at least one professional sports team that have not earned a championship in their history or only have one championship.  Most of these cities only have one professional team so there is really no comparison to Atlanta teams.  The only other city with all 4 sports teams  is Phoenix.  The combined number of seasons for the 4 Phoenix teams is 127 and the combined number of seasons for the 4 Atlanta teams is 188.  That means we are 61 seasons worse than the second worst sports city.

I pulled these numbers from Wikipedia, they should be accurate, but if anyone has any corrections please jump in.  No, I am not counting MLS.

Capture.PNG.eeff92207d1880681ef4da07e2bb3c19.PNG

Edited by ATL_666

Yep this city and the state itself is horrible for sports fans hundreds of combined sports seasons with 1 pro championship and a few college titles a long time ago.

It is pretty pathetic.

Considering Untied came on board and won one nearly right away I think we should ship the Falcons and Hawks to another city and start over with expansion teams for those sports.

The Braves can stay as at least they got us ONE title and currently looks to be on a good pace to keep winning.

I'll give the Hawks another couple of seasons with their youth movement but the Falcons can just get out now and never come back.

It's funny to see people STILL blame the fans when our teams are historically among the worst in all of sports.

2 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

Yep this city and the state itself is horrible for sports fans hundreds of combined sports seasons with 1 pro championship and a few college titles a long time ago.

It is pretty pathetic.

considering Untied came on baord and one one nearly right away I think we should ship the Falcons and Hawks to another city and start over with expansion teams for those sports.

The Braves can stay as at least they got us ONE title and currently looks to be on a good pace to keep winning.

I'll give the Hawks another couple of season with their youth movement but the Falcons can just get out now and never come back.

It's funny to see people STILL blame the fans when our teams are historically among the worst in all of sports.

I am not giving up on any of the team, I will always support these teams, but it is very hard to stay optimistic when this is your history.  Being an Atlanta fan is tough.

kiwifalcon and Godzilla1985 like this

It is pretty pathetic.

considering Untied came on baord and one one nearly right away I think we should ship the Falcons and Hawks to another city and start over with expansion teams for those sports.

I'll give the Hawks another couple of season with their youth movement but the Falcons can just get out now and never come back.

2 pro titles.

Braves and Atlanta United.

stingbee likes this

Just now, DawnOfThemBirds said:

2 pro titles.

I stated in my post that I did not count MLS.  Feel free to debate over that if you want, I know they have a loyal and enthusiastic following, but I am not counting it for this representation.

Posted (edited)

Yeah I agree. Even tho the Georgia Bulldogs aren’t Atlanta pro sports, they matter way more in this state than MLS/Atlanta United. Take Georgia Bulldogs for example and compare us to all programs who have historically recruited on the same level as us, it’s unacceptable for us to only have 1 national title since 1980. Clemson, Florida, Auburn, Ohio State, Alabama, Tennessee, Florida State, LSU, Texas, USC, Notre Dame, Miami, Oklahoma, Penn State, all have at least 1 national title or more since Georgia’s last one in 1980. Georgia blew it against Penn State in 1982 and Alabama in 2017, should have had 2 more. The Atlanta/Georgia curse applies to them too.

Edited by mqg96

14 minutes ago, ATL_666 said:

I am not giving up on any of the team, I will always support these teams, but it is very hard to stay optimistic when this is your history.  Being an Atlanta fan is tough.

I don't think a team should be supported just for Existing. Maybe at first to try and get a new franchise off to a good start but neither the Falcons or Hawks have earned support or deserve any fanbase from this city.

Maybe if the city completely turned it's back on them they would correct themselves or just get out so we could start over with a clean slate.

Simply existing is no longer the proper criteria to get my money as a fan.

MoFalconsFan56 likes this

1 minute ago, ATL_666 said:

I stated in my post that I did not count MLS.  Feel free to debate over that if you want, I know they have a loyal and enthusiastic following, but I am not counting it for this representation.

MLS is growing, but I understand holding back on the league a bit for now.

Braves, Bulldogs, and even Atlanta United all have a chance to win titles this season.

I honestly thought that the Bulldogs were going to lose against Notre Dame. This team could be different because that was a type of game that the Bulldogs usually lose in an upset lol.

1 minute ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Braves, Bulldogs, and even Atlanta United all have a chance to win titles this season.

I honestly thought that the Bulldogs were going to lose against Notre Dame. This team could be different because that was a type of game that the Bulldogs usually lose in an upset lol.

I am excited about the Braves playoff run, but after living through the 90's & early 2000's I am expecting to get knocked out in the first round.  Please prove me wrong!

17 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

2 pro titles.

Yea I added a section about United and to me they prove the city is not cursed but the Falcons and Hawks are cursed Franchises and the city itself deserve better.

BDragon1766 likes this

17 minutes ago, ATL_666 said:

It's time to start counting them, They sell out the same stadium the Falcons play in and they are much louder.

Untied is probably the best Sport franchise this city has ever had.

stingbee likes this

1 minute ago, FalconBlood23 said:

Why wouldn't you include the MLS? They're literally the pro soccer league for the country. 

MLS just isn't on the same level as NFL, MLB, NBA.  Maybe they get there one day, but for now the MLS does not deserve to be grouped in with those leagues.

Stray Dog THA GAWD likes this

Just now, ATL_666 said:

I am excited about the Braves playoff run, but after living through the 90's & early 2000's I am expecting to get knocked out in the first round.  Please prove me wrong!

Yeah, I'm on edge about the Braves. They are more than capable of winning the WS, but the ghost of those 90's Braves scare the ish out of me.

We no longer have a HNL team have not for years. So your numbers are not correct. Plus yeah you should count MLS as that is a pro team in ATL. All that aside this town should have a few more including 2016. We all know how that went down. :barf:

5 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

With UGA pulling their own version of 28-3 in 2017 I'm not banking on them getting over the hump to win a title

Yea I added a section about United and to me they prove the city is not cursed but the Falcons and Hawks are cursed Franchises and the city itself deserve better.

The Braves are cursed in their own way. They won a title, but they could've been a dynasty.

1 minute ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

The Braves are cursed in their own way. They won a title, but they could've been a dynasty.

Well considering the cities history actually winning a real title gives you some leeway.

DawnOfThemBirds likes this

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, high impact said:

We no longer have a HNL team have not for years. So your numbers are not correct. Plus yeah you should count MLS as that is a pro team in ATL. All that aside this town should have a few more including 2016. We all know how that went down. :barf:

Yes, I accounted for this.  I only counted 11 seasons for the Thrashers.  

Edited by ATL_666

Posted (edited)

2 minutes ago, ATL_666 said:

Yes, I accounted for this.  I only counted 11 seasons for the Thrashers.

Your forgot we had the Flames before the Thrashers. 

Edited by high impact
ATL_666 and Stray Dog THA GAWD like this

1 minute ago, high impact said:

Your forgot we had the Flames before the Thrashers. 

I did not count the Flames.  Thank you for the correction.   I have updated the original post to include the numbers for the years the Flames were in Atlanta.

And people wonder why ATL fans suck. It’s not just transplants. If Boston had 1 championship in 188 seasons across all sports their fans would be crap too 

Godzilla1985 likes this

13 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

And people wonder why ATL fans suck. It’s not just transplants. If Boston had 1 championship in 188 seasons across all sports their fans would be crap too 

I wouldn't even say we SUCK, after decades of abuse any sane person would not support a team. I think it is a stupid assumption that a team deserves a loyal fanbase for simply existing.

After year 5 of a Franchise if a team can't pull it together and give fans something to support them for then it's not the fans fault.

After 5 + decades and multiple sports franchises crapping the bed year in and year out it doesn't make sense that we would have a loyal rabid fanbase to any of our teams

The Hawks and Falcons are LUCKY anyone shows up to the games. Neither Franchise deserve any support from this city.

I wish the Mayor could just eject both teams from the city and petition the league for expansion teams. I't s a silly though but gees it would be a great way to get rid of a lot of heart ache this city has felt for 50 + years. 

NeonDeion likes this

1 hour ago, MAD597 said:

It is pretty pathetic.

Considering Untied came on board and won one nearly right away I think we should ship the Falcons and Hawks to another city and start over with expansion teams for those sports.

I'll give the Hawks another couple of seasons with their youth movement but the Falcons can just get out now and never come back.

It is not the fans. the fan issue is we have a lot of implants from all over the US that live here. That inflows to the games and you see many fans of other teams at our city's team events. That is what makes our fans look so bad, 

1 minute ago, Falcon fan 4 ever said:

It is not the fans. the fan issue is we have a lot of implants from all over the US that live here. That inflows to the games and you see many fans of other teams at our city's team events. That is what makes our fans look so bad, 

Yep.  A lot of tech jobs here, lower housing prices that attract people from the north to move down here.  And you have people who graduate from Auburn, Alabama, South Carolina, Florida, and have no opportunities in those areas so they move to Atlanta and since they didn't grow up here they have not connection to our professional teams.

Falcon fan 4 ever likes this