quotemokc

Lets review some of our bad plays on offense [Coaches Film] [GIFs]

80 posts in this topic

I remember in the Eagles game Collinsworth pointed out that there was a particular run play, I think it was an outside zone to the left. But he said if the Falcons get that play going, watch out because their offense will be tough to stop. 

The play went for like 4-5 yards. Then I don't think the team ran it again or even since. 

His point was that the team has an identity as a play action passing team that needs the run game to work. It's obvious Koetter doesn't have time for that. If that's what Quinn wants to do, he needs to convey that to Koetter. They need to get back to basics. Back to what makes this team so dangerous.

JDaveG and Schwarzwald like this

13 hours ago, NWFALCON said:

Route concepts are horrible. 

Absolutely correct. The routes take too long to develop.

All vertical routes.

No crossing routes to expose zones hahaha.

All go routes and hooks for the outside receivers.

No pre snap movement to put the defense in 2 minds or help Ryan with his reads lol. 

No use of Julio or Ridley to clear out space and running players behind them lol.

Just inept.

Schwarzwald and VTCrunkler like this

This why KS was so successful he made you defend every yard of the field vertically and horizontally.He also had outlets at every level short intermediate and deep to keep defenders honest.

What I’m seeing from DK is it looks all downfield and there’s no setup before going down town.

No crosses against zone coverages to stress the defense horizontally just amateur night.

Run game pounds Free inside instead of designing plays to get him in space or running him on the edge to give him a 2 way go just dumb ****.

If I recall correctly from Dirk’s previous time here, most of the routes the receivers run are option routes so it puts a lot on the receivers and QB to be on the same page.  On the one Ridley ran too deep, I’m sure he had an option for a shallow cross if he saw some type of blitz coming.  It’s up to the receivers to diagnose the defense like the QB which takes time.

2 minutes ago, dmite said:

If I recall correctly from Dirk’s previous time here, most of the routes the receivers run are option routes so it puts a lot on the receivers and QB to be on the same page.  On the one Ridley ran too deep, I’m sure he had an option for a shallow cross if he saw some type of blitz coming.  It’s up to the receivers to diagnose the defense like the QB which takes time.

Shhhhhhhh

It can't be a players fault ....ever

dmite and Schwarzwald like this

2 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

All vertical routes.

No crossing routes to expose zones hahaha.

All go routes and hooks for the outside receivers.

No pre snap movement to put the defense in 2 minds or help Ryan with his reads lol. 

No use of Julio or Ridley to clear out space and running players behind them lol.

Just inept.

Yeah especially when we have three receivers that can run almost every route out there. Dirk is looking like Ricky Bobby. I wanna throw far. 

kiwifalcon likes this

This is exactly what I remember about Koetter coupled with the lack of dedication to a run game.

Week one when I saw we only had two runningbacks active out of the 4 true backs we kept i underhandedly made the joke before the game that we would only run the ball 17 times.  We ran it 15 times to be exact.

Week two same ordeal.  Why only two back active?  Week three Freeman got a heavy dosage of carries and Matt ended up missing only 5 passes the entire game.

Week 4 we have 3 backs active...great sign, right?  What did we run the ball?  Like 14 times?  And the guy that had early success only got 2 carries!

And to me it’s always an excuse about the line not blocking well enough.  We spent way too much on offensive line to not be able to coach guys up to run block.  Jamon Brown was credited with getting the run game going for Saquon last year and now he can’t run block?  Honestly I tend to find that we have more success when we go downhill running instead of stretch with this group.  Regardless, we have to start establishing the run game AND making a commitment to it.  

But alas, we have Dirk Koetter 

Posted (edited)

19 hours ago, quotemokc said:

19 hours ago, quotemokc said:

Thought I might make some gifs of our bad plays so that we can get a better look at them than what the broadcast shows us.

RT #76 gets whooped and Ryan has to get it out quick to Ridley who is well covered, Ryan doesn't even get a chance to make another, a bit more time and he could have Sanu deep on the other side.

(12:22) (Shotgun) M.Ryan pass incomplete short right to C.Ridley (A.Jackson) [C.Wake].
3rd & 6 at ATL 21

giphy.gif

Not sure why we only send out 3 receivers, Ryan probably has to wait and hit Hooper to his right.

(12:26) T.Sambrailo reported in as eligible. M.Ryan pass incomplete deep left to J.Jones.
2nd & 6 at ATL 21

giphy.gif

#77 Makes Ryan run for his life, Ridley isn't open in time, route was too deep.

(:13) M.Ryan sacked at TEN 44 for -10 yards (J.Casey). FUMBLES (J.Casey) [J.Casey], RECOVERED by TEN-J.Casey at TEN 46. J.Casey to TEN 46 for no gain (A.Hooper).
2nd & 8 at TEN 34

giphy.gif

Ryan has nothing to go to, we settle for a missed FG, not sure what Julio is doing bottom of screen.

(:42) (No Huddle, Shotgun) M.Ryan pass incomplete short right [R.Evans].
3rd & 4 at TEN 14

giphy.gif

Ryan makes a GREAT throw to Sanu (only option) that he cannot reel in, not sure why we didn't run someone in to the middle.

(11:48) (Shotgun) M.Ryan pass incomplete deep middle to M.Sanu.
3rd & 20 at TEN 24

giphy.gif

LG gets owned, Ryan has nothing to go to in time before getting sacked.

(7:26) M.Ryan sacked at TEN 45 for -6 yards (H.Landry).
1st & 10 at TEN 39

giphy.gif

Couldn't find when this was, Ryan knows he has Julio running but can't get in a position to throw it there, should have gone to Ridley.

giphy.gif

Nothing to throw to.

(11:01) (No Huddle, Shotgun) M.Ryan sacked at ATL 39 for -5 yards (sack split by R.Evans and I.Mack).
1st & 10 at ATL 44

giphy.gif

The common theme of these plays seems to be that there is no quick throw for Ryan or anything underneath to keep their coverage closer to the los.

**** this is painful to watch. Imagine being Ryan out there on every play? And people want to blame him...I'm sitting on my couch watching this in slow-mo and still don't have a better result. The OL does not work with these routes...HUGE in disconnect in scheme here

Edited by mtldirtybird
KRUNKuno and Schwarzwald like this

3 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

This why KS was so successful he made you defend every yard of the field vertically and horizontally.He also had outlets at every level short intermediate and deep to keep defenders honest.

What I’m seeing from DK is it looks all downfield and there’s no setup before going down town.

No crosses against zone coverages to stress the defense horizontally just amateur night.

Run game pounds Free inside instead of designing plays to get him in space or running him on the edge to give him a 2 way go just dumb ****.

THIS. The lack of crossing routes is driving me crazy

Posted (edited)

Been defending Koetter all season (not that I'm a huge fan of his offensive philosophy but he's put us in position to score multiple easy TDs every game) but this truly his first bad game of the year. 

You could see Matt consistently going through his reads and nobody was open. Inexcusable with how stacked our WRs are.

No idea why he didnt keep Lafeur. Koetters offense feels dated. 

Edited by Bobby.Digital

4 minutes ago, mtldirtybird said:

You know the funnier thing go and have a look at the results when Julio Jones runs crosses or slants.I’m going to go out on a limb and say first down at least and remember that 300 yard game against Carolina shallow cross for 70 and TD in the 2016 GB NFCCG shallow cross and mugged and still went 70 for a TD.

Just saying good things happen when you use these guys to there strengths.

Crosses are a zone beater it gives the QB great reads on the depth of the defense at every level.

Pre Snap motion also automatically gives QB better reads man zone and you can audible change dependent on if the defender travels with his man or not.

1 hour ago, mtldirtybird said:

Shhh don’t say that too loudly or the message board gurus will say that “you’re just not seeing it”.

Same problem we had when dirk was here before. No quick out for Ryan, so it's either throw it away and punt for a defense that can't stop anyone or hold it and maybe get sacked trying to make a play.

7 hours ago, KRUNKuno said:

This is exactly what I remember about Koetter coupled with the lack of dedication to a run game.

Week one when I saw we only had two runningbacks active out of the 4 true backs we kept i underhandedly made the joke before the game that we would only run the ball 17 times.  We ran it 15 times to be exact.

Week two same ordeal.  Why only two back active?  Week three Freeman got a heavy dosage of carries and Matt ended up missing only 5 passes the entire game.

We ran the ball 17 times vs the Eagles. 

2 of those carries were by Matt Ryan. 

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

We ran the ball 17 times vs the Eagles. 

2 of those carries were by Matt Ryan. 

That’s a darn shame...And people wonder why we can’t open up defenses.  

Just now, KRUNKuno said:

That’s a darn shame...And people wonder why we can’t open up defenses.  

Yep.  

On 10/1/2019 at 7:41 AM, NWFALCON said:

Route concepts are horrible. 

Ya know. Ive said that the concepts were bland, not creating mismatches or open WRs and was told I was incorrect. LOL. GIFs show that the scheme and WR are constantly covered.

14 hours ago, NWFALCON said:

Yeah especially when we have three receivers that can run almost every route out there. Dirk is looking like Ricky Bobby. I wanna throw far. 

Problem being every team knows it so if we are throwing mid or deep routes there’s nothing to hold the LBers so the can play that extra yard or 2 deeper condensing the space.Which also tightens Ryan’s windows.

I can’t stop looking at how awful the plays are in these gifs 

Its like a daggum train wreck 

But it’s so hilarious lol smhhh.  Like what are they even doing??? Lol

vel likes this

7 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

I can’t stop looking at how awful the plays are in these gifs 

Its like a daggum train wreck 

But it’s so hilarious lol smhhh.  Like what are they even doing??? Lol

Lol that's exactly it. What are they doing? What were they thinking they'd accomplish? And why?

Schwarzwald likes this

Just had another look at how Sark used #11.

Crosses against zone

Rubs stacking receivers at the LOS.

Passing out of run looks.

The film is all there with the protection we have here now we should easily be able to do better than what we are doing.