Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Falcons Fan MVP

Why can't we beat AFC teams?

30 posts in this topic

Why do you guys think we keep losing to AFC teams? With Mike Malarkey a former Titans head coach on our staff you would think he would be able to give us pointers on how to beat AFC South teams. We probably would lose to the Dolphins right now. Why do you guys think we keep losing to AFC teams? I think the Falcons will lose to the Texans then they will probably start playing better and winning more because we play NFC teams. I know the Vikings pounded us but the Vikings always gives trouble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same reason we struggle vs the Eagles and Vikings in the NFC. Teams that run the ball and play physical tough defense smack us around like a red headed step child.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 out of the last 13 AFC home losses since 2013, and since the Chargers in 2016, 12 out of the last 13 AFC losses overall, and 0-13 against the spread vs. the AFC in the previous 13 AFC games overall. If you can't beat an AFC team, don't even think about a Super Bowl because every NFC team has to beat the AFC in order to win the Super Bowl.

 

My guess is the line of scrimmage. It doesn't matter how many skill position players you have, the AFC transitionally relies on the big size from their offensive line and defensive lines, and it's been wearing and tearing down the Falcons defensive lines and offensive lines. Dimitroff's inability to be consistent in the draft with REAL talent and REAL size on the offensive and defensive lines have doomed the Falcons for YEARS now.

 

When we went to the Super Bowl, we were #1 on offense thanks to Shanahan, but we were ranked 27th on defense, and we were very fortunate that an 11-5 team got a 1st round bye because that doesn't happen a lot. Most teams with historical offenses have 13 or more wins, but we had 11 wins and 5 losses, which means despite going to the Super Bowl, we still had flaws. One of those flaws was Matt Ryan still being one of the most hit QB's in the league despite the great season he had. One of those flaws was the special teams coverage being really bad, but our offense could easily drive us down 99 yards with no problem. Those flaws along with others I didn't mention, we can no longer get away with anymore.

 

Matt Ryan is gonna have to be replaced soon, and there's only one way (like Dr Strange said in Infinity War) the Falcons can win it all if he's still our QB the next 5 years. Our defense has to be top 5 in total, scoring, sacks, and takeaways (which never happens with Matt Ryan) with real talent and real players, which means if hard decisions have to be made to adjust our defense, so be it, stop being attached to overrated players who aren't doing anything.

 

We must have a solid O-line (which we better be working on) and we need to draft a workhorse running back who can help us get a simple yard, a workhorse running back who weighs more than Freeman or Ito. Like another Turner, a Blunt, or a Chubb. A great workhorse running back behind a real O-line who can help us run out clock and can stop our defense from being on the field too long. A workhorse running back behind a real O-line who can help us better in the redzone. We need a new field goal kicker, a new punter, a better special teams coach, and a real special teams returner who we haven't had since Devin Hester left. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

12 out of the last 13 AFC home losses since 2013, and since the Chargers in 2016, 12 out of the last 13 AFC losses overall, and 0-13 against the spread vs. the AFC in the previous 13 AFC games overall. If you can't beat an AFC team, don't even think about a Super Bowl because every NFC team has to beat the AFC in order to win the Super Bowl.

 

My guess is the line of scrimmage. It doesn't matter how many skill position players you have, the AFC transitionally relies on the big size from their offensive line and defensive lines, and it's been wearing and tearing down the Falcons defensive lines and offensive lines. Dimitroff's inability to be consistent in the draft with REAL talent and REAL size on the offensive and defensive lines have doomed the Falcons for YEARS now.

 

When we went to the Super Bowl, we were #1 on offense thanks to Shanahan, but we were ranked 27th on defense, and we were very fortunate that an 11-5 team got a 1st round bye because that doesn't happen a lot. Most teams with historical offenses have 13 or more wins, but we had 11 wins and 5 losses, which means despite going to the Super Bowl, we still had flaws. One of those flaws was Matt Ryan still being one of the most hit QB's in the league despite the great season he had. One of those flaws was the special teams coverage being really bad, but our offense could easily drive us down 99 yards with no problem. Those flaws along with others I didn't mention, we can no longer get away with anymore.

 

Matt Ryan is gonna have to be replaced soon, and there's only one way (like Dr Strange said in Infinity War) the Falcons can win it all if he's still our QB the next 5 years. Our defense has to be top 5 in total, scoring, sacks, and takeaways (which never happens with Matt Ryan) with real talent and real players, which means if hard decisions have to be made to adjust our defense, so be it, stop being attached to overrated players who aren't doing anything.

 

We must have a solid O-line (which we better be working on) and we need to draft a workhorse running back who can help us get a simple yard, a workhorse running back who weighs more than Freeman or Ito. Like another Turner, a Blunt, or a Chubb. A great workhorse running back behind a real O-line who can help us run out clock and can stop our defense from being on the field too long. A workhorse running back behind a real O-line who can help us better in the redzone. We need a new field goal kicker, a new punter, a better special teams coach, and a real special teams returner who we haven't had since Devin Hester left. 

You should add a new HC. One that has a balance of size and speed on defense. I do think Quinn is trying to change the defense to more balance with some size. I just think he has a limited ability as far as calling the defense. Sometimes I have seen him do things that makes me say what. Way to much ZONE. Quinn's defense just can't get off the field.

Falcon fan 4 ever and mqg96 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our coaches suck

Our coaches cannot gameplan properly for the unfamiliar. They seem to have issues analyzing tape on teams we have not played much. They need to be able to create gameplans on teams we don't play often AND adjust those gameplans DURING the game if they don't pan out.

Our coaches can't gameplan properly and don't adjust during the game. For teams we don't play much that is a recipe for failure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Falcons players are starting to turn a deaf ear to their head coach.  

1. Quinn thinks he's the Kyle Shanahan of  defense...but he's not.  Not even close.  

2. He's a stubborn man.  

Those two things combine to result in what we're seeing this year:  a team that thinks its a lot better than it is, and with no clue how to fix what's wrong.  

I've seen many, many Falcons seasons, and most of them have been disappointing.   

And considering the talent (on paper), this particular season is shaping up to be one of epic underachievement.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, octoslash said:

I think the Falcons players are starting to turn a deaf ear to their head coach.  

1. Quinn thinks he's the Kyle Shanahan of  defense...but he's not.  Not even close.  

2. He's a stubborn man.  

Those two things combine to result in what we're seeing this year:  a team that thinks its a lot better than it is, and with no clue how to fix what's wrong.  

I've seen many, many Falcons seasons, and most of them have been disappointing.   

And considering the talent (on paper), this particular season is shaping up to be one of epic underachievement.  

The Kyle Shanahan of the defense? LMAO! Closest to that hasn’t been in Atlanta in 21 years!

octoslash likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ATLPhil said:

:sadwave:

image000000.gif

And people still want to blame Quinn for not showing emotion.

Face it. AB is a company man who wants a company front. Draining the personality from coaches and, through that, the identity. Smitty died too. You aren't convincing me Quinn's first choice was bringing in all these former Atlanta coaches. You aren't convincing me this is his idea of how the defense should play.

He'll do well wherever he goes next and likely be a lot happier. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to agree with others that it at least for the most part comes down to style of play. If you look at AFC teams, most predicate on playing at least decent defense and running the ball. There’s a few exceptions, like the Killer B’s days in Pittsburgh and the current chiefs, and maybe the chargers too but they kind of going with the rule as well. Now, with good coaching, mainly offensively, we would be able to beat them just like the chiefs and Steelers did/do, but since Shanahan left we’ve had almost all duds offensively against the AFC, with only one good performance against the Bengals last year and our second half against the colts so far this season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, octoslash said:

I think the Falcons players are starting to turn a deaf ear to their head coach.  

1. Quinn thinks he's the Kyle Shanahan of  defense...but he's not.  Not even close.  

2. He's a stubborn man.  

Those two things combine to result in what we're seeing this year:  a team that thinks its a lot better than it is, and with no clue how to fix what's wrong.  

I've seen many, many Falcons seasons, and most of them have been disappointing.   

And considering the talent (on paper), this particular season is shaping up to be one of epic underachievement.  

The Seahawks players who played for him think highly of him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

And people still want to blame Quinn for not showing emotion.

Face it. AB is a company man who wants a company front. Draining the personality from coaches and, through that, the identity. Smitty died too. You aren't convincing me Quinn's first choice was bringing in all these former Atlanta coaches. You aren't convincing me this is his idea of how the defense should play.

He'll do well wherever he goes next and likely be a lot happier. 

 

Quinn chose to come here. I think his personality fit well here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dodge_birds_fan said:

I agree it's the trenches. AFC is built for power football. Falcons built for finesse. 

Other finesse teams don't have that problem against AFC teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MAD597 said:

Our coaches suck

Our coaches cannot gameplan properly for the unfamiliar. They seem to have issues analyzing tape on teams we have not played much. They need to be able to create gameplans on teams we don't play often AND adjust those gameplans DURING the game if they don't pan out.

Our coaches can't gameplan properly and don't adjust during the game. For teams we don't play much that is a recipe for failure

Mike Malarkey used to be a former AFC South coach. They still can't win against afc teams. Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ghostpenguin said:

Beat AFC?  Man... we are one stupid dropped pass from beating NO ONE. Dont pretend this is just an AFC problem lol

This problem goes back to 2017. Even 2016 2 home losses vs afc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Falcons Fan MVP said:

This problem goes back to 2017. Even 2016 2 home losses vs afc

Ok in that regard I've always seen AFC teams are larger more physical. Since we play fitness ball we have to be fast. Shanny had that answer, we just need to hire a OC that is WC and we will be fine imo

Falcons Fan MVP likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mqg96 said:

12 out of the last 13 AFC home losses since 2013, and since the Chargers in 2016, 12 out of the last 13 AFC losses overall, and 0-13 against the spread vs. the AFC in the previous 13 AFC games overall. If you can't beat an AFC team, don't even think about a Super Bowl because every NFC team has to beat the AFC in order to win the Super Bowl.

 

My guess is the line of scrimmage. It doesn't matter how many skill position players you have, the AFC transitionally relies on the big size from their offensive line and defensive lines, and it's been wearing and tearing down the Falcons defensive lines and offensive lines. Dimitroff's inability to be consistent in the draft with REAL talent and REAL size on the offensive and defensive lines have doomed the Falcons for YEARS now.

 

When we went to the Super Bowl, we were #1 on offense thanks to Shanahan, but we were ranked 27th on defense, and we were very fortunate that an 11-5 team got a 1st round bye because that doesn't happen a lot. Most teams with historical offenses have 13 or more wins, but we had 11 wins and 5 losses, which means despite going to the Super Bowl, we still had flaws. One of those flaws was Matt Ryan still being one of the most hit QB's in the league despite the great season he had. One of those flaws was the special teams coverage being really bad, but our offense could easily drive us down 99 yards with no problem. Those flaws along with others I didn't mention, we can no longer get away with anymore.

 

Matt Ryan is gonna have to be replaced soon, and there's only one way (like Dr Strange said in Infinity War) the Falcons can win it all if he's still our QB the next 5 years. Our defense has to be top 5 in total, scoring, sacks, and takeaways (which never happens with Matt Ryan) with real talent and real players, which means if hard decisions have to be made to adjust our defense, so be it, stop being attached to overrated players who aren't doing anything.

 

We must have a solid O-line (which we better be working on) and we need to draft a workhorse running back who can help us get a simple yard, a workhorse running back who weighs more than Freeman or Ito. Like another Turner, a Blunt, or a Chubb. A great workhorse running back behind a real O-line who can help us run out clock and can stop our defense from being on the field too long. A workhorse running back behind a real O-line who can help us better in the redzone. We need a new field goal kicker, a new punter, a better special teams coach, and a real special teams returner who we haven't had since Devin Hester left. 

we actually dominated the Patriots at the line of scrimmage until the 4th quarter and that was because Mack and Matthews were banged up imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ghostpenguin said:

Ok in that regard I've always seen AFC teams are larger more physical. Since we play fitness ball we have to be fast. Shanny had that answer, we just need to hire a OC that is WC and we will be fine imo

I think that our offensive line should be able to go toe to toe with physical lines once Lindstrom and McGrary start gelling. Everybody keeps getting banged up though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think there is an explanation. People saying the AFC teams are built to excel in the trenches? Well then why have we beaten the Seahawks (several times) Rams (several times) Cowboys(several times), Eagles (several times), Panthers (several times), Bears during that same time span? Those teams are built the same way. If we can't beat the tough "trenches" teams in the AFC it would stand to reason we would have a similar terrible record against NFC opponents and it isn't really the case if you look the real history. Also, it would stand to reason that if NFC teams are weaker in the trenches and that is an advantage to AFC teams that the AFC would be dominating inter-conference play, which really isn't the case either. https://www.ryansleeper.com/50-years-of-afc-vs-nfc-matchups/.

BasicallyI think it's just one of those anomalies. A lot of those losses would have been wins if literally one single play goes differently, the San Diego, Cincinnati, Kansas City, Miami, and Buffalo games come to mind. All could have easily been won and we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Basically, seems like a flukey thing to me. 

Oh and this year, we have looked terrible against everybody for the most part regardless of the conference so I think saying that we especially struggle against the AFC this year is not even factually accurate. We looked as bad against Minnesota as we did against Tenessee and we won the Eagles game by the same narrow margin we lost the Colts game. It seems like a wash so far. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

This problem goes back to 2017. Even 2016 2 home losses vs afc

Our AFC losing skid started against the Chargers in 2016. After road wins vs. the Raiders and Broncos, we've sucked against the AFC ever since, our only win being in 2017 against the Jets. When talking about AFC home games, you can go far back as 2013. Since 2013 we've lost all of our AFC home games except for the 2015 Houston Texans. 

Edited by mqg96
Falcons Fan MVP likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

The Seahawks players who played for him think highly of him

Probably because he was a DC there and not a HC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0