Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Monoxide

Thomas Dimitroff and the dreaded 3rd round

22 posts in this topic

This is pretty fascinating. There have been a few decent selections, but overall it's been bad. The worst part is, I feel like the majority of these picks were panned the second they were made. Nobody in their right minds could understand the Southward or Holmes selections.

(2008) Harry Douglas-The very first 3rd round of Dimitroff's tenure, and one of his few solid 3rd round picks. He averaged over 40 catches and 500 yards a season over a respectable 6 year Falcons career.

(2008) Chevis Jackson-2 seasons, 3 games started, and 1 interception. Out of the league 3 seasons later.

(2009) Chris Owens-Remember Crisp Owens? 12 games starter over 4 seasons before short stints in New Orleans, Miami, Cleveland, and Kansas City. His 2010 divisional playoff game against Green Bay is arguably the worst defensive performance in Falcon playoff history.

(2010) Corey Peters-He's started 100 games and counting as an NFL defensive tackle. Was also a key member of multiple playoff defenses. Was painfully underrated while he was in Atlanta and I hated that he left for Arizona when he did.

(2010) Mike Johnson-3 seasons and 1 game started before he was out of the league. Injuries happen unfortunately.

(2011) Akeem Dent-A typical Dimitroff 3rd round pick that was almost universally criticized as a reach. 3 underwhelming seasons in Atlanta before he was traded to Houston for a backup quarterback.

(2012) Lamar Holmes-In terms of reaching, this one made the Dent reach look like a diamond in the rough. A few scouts didn't even have Holmes listed at all. Probably the most confusing draft pick in my 20 years of being an NFL fan. As expected, Holmes was out of the league after 3 years and resembled a human windmill in the few painful games he was allowed to play in.

(2014) Dezmen Southward-Yet another selection that nobody other than Thomas Dimitroff could understand. Another insane reach that many had scouted as a day 3 player. Unsurprisingly, Southward started zero games and was cut after his 2nd season. He was picked up by Carolina in 2017 and cut again almost immediately after. That was the end of Dezmen Southward.

(2015) Tevin Coleman-This was the only 3rd round pick in the history of TD drafts that I fell in love with. Tevin gave us 4 good years as a change of pace back that included the magical 2016 offense. This was a solid selection at the time, and remains solid to this day.

(2016) Austin Hooper-I didn't like the pick at the time, but was proven wrong. An underwhelming rookie year was followed by a couple of solid seasons. He's been a bright spot so far in 2019, and I foresee him being in Atlanta for the long run. Two good 3rd round picks in a row!

(2017) Duke Riley-And then this happened. 3 seasons, 6 total starts, 580 whiffed tackles, and now traded for Jonathan Cyprien. It was a bad selection then, and it's a bad selection now.

(2018) Deadrin Senat-Criticize me if you want, but this is starting to look like another Dimitroff 3rd round stinker. In his 2nd season, Senat has been a healthy scratch in every single game, having nothing but zeros on the stat line. He was listed as a possible cut from some during the preseason, and I didn't disagree with that mindset. We'll see if this pick gets any better in the near future.

His 2nd round history is suspect too. Collins and Oliver look like lost, although Collins played good for us in 16. He is out of the league too as of today I think(cut by Colts). Hageman is not here either. We need a new talent evaluator. TD needs a "promotion" from within like we did with McKay and we need to hire a new GM.

TD ultimately has not been a great drafter overall - he just seems to get that really good pick (Ryan, Julio, Grady, Debo, etc.) that gets all the attention every now and then and people forget how bad he is across the whole draft.

2019 so far -

Lindstrom - can't blame TD for this one, but may still may be good in long run

McGary - might be the best pick, but would have not guessed it a month ago

Sheffield - still developing but not inspiring any real hope?

Cominsky - was great in early preseason, but have not heard much about him since

Ollison - is there a reason we are not using him for what seemed an obvious need for a big back?

J Miller - has he played in a regular season game yet?

M Green - already gone

So, we might end up with 1 pick that really contributes to this season?  Does that 1 pick offset the other picks?

vitaman likes this

Lindstrom will likely be a good pick...injuries happen unfortunately. I haven’t liked our CB picks on a long time...Trufant was the last one I liked. And he hasn’t been great....ever

When he traded out of the 2nd into the 3rd for Duke Riley I was done lol. Who tf trades outta the 2nd round just for a backup LB?? Man TD has done some wacky stuff since he got here. Wacky free agents wacky draft choices wacky contracts. Dude literally lives & dies on his one or two solid decisions each offseason. I never thought he was that good at all. Matt Ryan was a sheer necessity pick. Then he drafted Sam Baker over Duane Brown :lol:. He's NEVER been a trench guy. Ever. That's why we picked Ridley over Hernandez! One sudden offseason of trench dudes does not make up for 10 years of weak *** line picks!

Edited by Hurry_Up_And_Buy
vitaman likes this

1 hour ago, Monoxide said:

This is pretty fascinating. There have been a few decent selections, but overall it's been bad. The worst part is, I feel like the majority of these picks were panned the second they were made. Nobody in their right minds could understand the Southward or Holmes selections.

(2008) Harry Douglas-The very first 3rd round of Dimitroff's tenure, and one of his few solid 3rd round picks. He averaged over 40 catches and 500 yards a season over a respectable 6 year Falcons career.

(2008) Chevis Jackson-2 seasons, 3 games started, and 1 interception. Out of the league 3 seasons later.

(2009) Chris Owens-Remember Crisp Owens? 12 games starter over 4 seasons before short stints in New Orleans, Miami, Cleveland, and Kansas City. His 2010 divisional playoff game against Green Bay is arguably the worst defensive performance in Falcon playoff history.

(2010) Corey Peters-He's started 100 games and counting as an NFL defensive tackle. Was also a key member of multiple playoff defenses. Was painfully underrated while he was in Atlanta and I hated that he left for Arizona when he did.

(2010) Mike Johnson-3 seasons and 1 game started before he was out of the league. Injuries happen unfortunately.

(2011) Akeem Dent-A typical Dimitroff 3rd round pick that was almost universally criticized as a reach. 3 underwhelming seasons in Atlanta before he was traded to Houston for a backup quarterback.

(2012) Lamar Holmes-In terms of reaching, this one made the Dent reach look like a diamond in the rough. A few scouts didn't even have Holmes listed at all. Probably the most confusing draft pick in my 20 years of being an NFL fan. As expected, Holmes was out of the league after 3 years and resembled a human windmill in the few painful games he was allowed to play in.

(2014) Dezmen Southward-Yet another selection that nobody other than Thomas Dimitroff could understand. Another insane reach that many had scouted as a day 3 player. Unsurprisingly, Southward started zero games and was cut after his 2nd season. He was picked up by Carolina in 2017 and cut again almost immediately after. That was the end of Dezmen Southward.

(2015) Tevin Coleman-This was the only 3rd round pick in the history of TD drafts that I fell in love with. Tevin gave us 4 good years as a change of pace back that included the magical 2016 offense. This was a solid selection at the time, and remains solid to this day.

(2016) Austin Hooper-I didn't like the pick at the time, but was proven wrong. An underwhelming rookie year was followed by a couple of solid seasons. He's been a bright spot so far in 2019, and I foresee him being in Atlanta for the long run. Two good 3rd round picks in a row!

(2017) Duke Riley-And then this happened. 3 seasons, 6 total starts, 580 whiffed tackles, and now traded for Jonathan Cyprien. It was a bad selection then, and it's a bad selection now.

(2018) Deadrin Senat-Criticize me if you want, but this is starting to look like another Dimitroff 3rd round stinker. In his 2nd season, Senat has been a healthy scratch in every single game, having nothing but zeros on the stat line. He was listed as a possible cut from some during the preseason, and I didn't disagree with that mindset. We'll see if this pick gets any better in the near future.

Hooper wasn't the player when drafted he is today.. Hoopers work ethic has defined him.. Guy has constantly worked on getting better and it shows.. I wont give TD credit for Hooper at all.. Hooper is a self made player imo

vitaman likes this

58 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Hooper wasn't the player when drafted he is today.. Hoopers work ethic has defined him.. Guy has constantly worked on getting better and it shows.. I wont give TD credit for Hooper at all.. Hooper is a self made player imo

I don’t disagree with that at all. As a prospect, he was underwhelming in my opinion.

⚡Slumerican⚡ likes this

Ironically I just had this discussion earlier in another thread lol. But yeah, the third round hasn’t been too kind for us. Honestly forgot about Corey Peters, he was good but unfortunately an untimely injury caused us to let him go. Hooper and Teco were really good picks. I’m a badgers fan but I have no idea why we took Southward in the third, even he was surprised lol. I liked him at Wisconsin but thought he was gonna be a day 3 guy at best for sure. All in all, 4 of 12 isn’t exactly where you want to be, but I honestly don’t think too many other teams have that much luck with 3rd round picks either. 

mqg96 likes this

I wonder, how much of these pics are what the HC told him to get? If Mike Smith didn't know what he wanted or how to coach guys up, would you really blame TD if those players don't pan out? Sure TD has missed, probably at the same rate as the NFL average for GM's but he has also found good talent in other rounds or undrafted players. It's easy to criticize now with the team looking like it is but we've had the best decade and some change with this guy on the helm. But maybe it's time to move on, find a voice and vision. Just hope we don't become like the Lions or Brown's or some **** ya know

Flying Falcon likes this

You do realize you can do this with mostly every team right?

Patriots

2018 - No 3rd round pick
2017 - DE Derek Rivers and OT Antonio Garcia - Combined have 1 start now in the 3rd season. (Busts)
2016 - OG Joe Thuney, QB Jacoby Brissett, DT Vincent Valentine - Thuney great Pick. Brissett is now looking like a great pick as the Colts QB. Valentine is a (Bust)
2015 - DE Geneo Grissim (Bust)
2014 - No 3rd Round Pick
2013 - DB Logan Ryan and DB Duron Harmon. Both good picks
2012 - DE Jake Bequette (Bust)
2011 - QB Ryan Mallet (Bust)
2010 - WR Taylor Price (Bust)
2009 - WR Brandon Tate and LB Tyrone McKinzee (Busts)
2008 - LB Shawn Crable and QB Kevin O'Connell (Busts)

So in the same time span, The Patriots have 4 good 3rd round picks, 2 of which are not on the team anymore. 11 Busts.

We had 4 solid picks (Douglas, Peters, Hooper, Coleman) 3 of which are not on the team anymore. 8 Busts. 

Huge difference :lol: Like I said, You can go through for any team in the league and I guarantee you no matter what round you pick they had plenty of busts to choose from over the years. The draft is a crap shoot

15 minutes ago, B_Lo_Touchdowns said:

Do you guys even understand what TD actually does?

Number cruncher. That's it. Saves AB money when writing out contracts. 

Ok lets do this:

Panthers

2010 LaFell - pretty good

2011 Sione Fua - bust

2011 Terrell McClain - decent

2014 Trai Turner - great pick

2016 Daryl Worley - bust

2017 Daeshon Hall - bust

Saints

2010 Jimmy Graham - great pick

2011 Martez Wilson - below average

2011 Johnny Patrick - bust

2012 Akiem Hicks - great player now but a bust when he played for them

2013 Terron Armstead - Great picck

2013 John Jenkins - bust

2015 PJ Williams - decent

2015 Garrett Grayson - bust

2017 Kamara - amazing pick

2017 Alex Anzalone - decent

2017 Trey Hendrickson - probable bust

Buccaneers

2010 Myron Lewis - bust

2011 Mason Foster - pretty good

2013 Mike Glennon - below average

2014 Charles Sims - bust

2017 Chris Godwin - great pick

2017 Kendall Beckwith - injuries

2018/2019 is too soon to tell.

TD in general has a SERIOUS issue evaluating talent for the OL and DL. He needs to be fired for this. Honestly hitting on skill positions is much easier and TD has shown he is not capable of building an adequate OL and DL.

Our trenches are always undersized, weak and get pushed around. That is the real IDENTITY of this team, weak and soft. This comes directly from TD's problem with OL and DL.

11 years and we have yet to have a consistent OL and DL that protects the QB and applies pressure to the opposing QB.

4 hours ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

You do realize you can do this with mostly every team right?

Patriots

2018 - No 3rd round pick
2017 - DE Derek Rivers and OT Antonio Garcia - Combined have 1 start now in the 3rd season. (Busts)
2016 - OG Joe Thuney, QB Jacoby Brissett, DT Vincent Valentine - Thuney great Pick. Brissett is now looking like a great pick as the Colts QB. Valentine is a (Bust)
2015 - DE Geneo Grissim (Bust)
2014 - No 3rd Round Pick
2013 - DB Logan Ryan and DB Duron Harmon. Both good picks
2012 - DE Jake Bequette (Bust)
2011 - QB Ryan Mallet (Bust)
2010 - WR Taylor Price (Bust)
2009 - WR Brandon Tate and LB Tyrone McKinzee (Busts)
2008 - LB Shawn Crable and QB Kevin O'Connell (Busts)

So in the same time span, The Patriots have 4 good 3rd round picks, 2 of which are not on the team anymore. 11 Busts.

We had 4 solid picks (Douglas, Peters, Hooper, Coleman) 3 of which are not on the team anymore. 8 Busts. 

Huge difference :lol: Like I said, You can go through for any team in the league and I guarantee you no matter what round you pick they had plenty of busts to choose from over the years. The draft is a crap shoot

These threads always fall apart when they're compared to something other than the air.

19 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

These threads always fall apart when they're compared to something other than the air.

That or the stupidity gets doubled down on.  Seems like that kind of week.

3 hours ago, B_Lo_Touchdowns said:

Do you guys even understand what TD actually does?

AS GM the buck stops with him so his daily job duties don't matter.

Over the last 11 years other teams have had multiple years with a good OL and DL, why can't TD put that together since it is an obvious weakness nearly every season?