The problem is the Philosophy

New Hope Eagle

I have said it once and I will say it again.

The falcons problems on the field are the results of DQ's philosophy during the week.

How many times have we heard from him "Its not about them, its about us?"

He does NOT prepare this team for the next game.  His practices are based on the falcons flaws the previous week and NOT focusing on the next team up.

I mean how do you work on RED zone issues?   Penalties that continue drives in D and kill them on O?  and who are they doing this against in practice?

This team week in and week out is unprepared, undisciplined, and fundamentality unfit.  They are not playing as team but rather a bunch of individuals.

The master of this Belickick, (4-0) who prepares against the next teams weakness and exploits it.  FALCONS (1-3) DONT!

Is it time for........the dreaded...HE'S LOST THE TEAM?  

Is it already time to kick that around?  

As much as I hate that cliché, in this case it looks like the players are just not focused. 

They look lost out there.  They look like they expect to get down early, every game. 

20 minutes ago, Precyse said:

How do you run the ball 14 times against the 21st ranked run D. 12 of those times with the guy not gaining yards. 

We attacked the middle repeatedly and got nowhere. They saw us gash Indy and Philly with that inside zone a little and were ready for it. We never really attacked the edge. I don't think I saw but one or two outside zone plays. Then, ONCE AGAIN, we got behind and it forced our hand into more of a passing game.

3 minutes ago, since68andcounting said:

We attacked the middle repeatedly and got nowhere. They saw us gash Indy and Philly with that inside zone a little and were ready for it. We never really attacked the edge. I don't think I saw but one or two outside zone plays. Then, ONCE AGAIN, we got behind and it forced our hand into more of a passing game.

That's right.  Because Tennessee prepared for us and the falcons did not prepare for them

Maybe the defence is too simple. Other teams have no problem recognising what we are doing, or how to slice it up. A simple, scheme is supposed to help the players play play quicker and avoid mistakes, but we don’t look like we get any benefit from it.

A good DC has an elaborate scheme that run different stunts and coverage off it to confuse. He seeks to anticipate his opponents likely responses to various  looks, using them to  lay traps for his opponent and bait them is to mistakes. 

The idea that you can run a simple defence at this level and succeed in the modern game is flawed in my view.

What good is a defense when the players don't execute! The proof is in the pudding, watch these games closely and don't let the camera fool you. This defense has players who have either lost a step, not focused, can't tackle or just flat out will not make a tackle. 3 players come to mind among others....Tru, Camp, Vic.  

This defense needs a constant infusion of fresh legs by continuing to sign and draft well and not get caught up in long term deals that have low returns. Build around the productive core.

The whole point of this topic was the falcons don't prepare for nest team.

We played a team that is horrible against the run and what did we not do??  RUN the ball.  14 attempts not including that thing that ryan tried when he thought he could hurdle 3 titan defenders.  and despite being down we had plenty of time to still run the dang ball

I agree with OP. 

My main issue is not the defense as a whole. 14 of the Titans points were literally off of gifts from our Defense allowing them to convert 3rd and longs. Not to mention penalties that also allow drives to continue. Hands to the face (although that call sucked) penalty also helped a drive continue. 

Then, the 1 play 62 yard score. These happen from time to time, but my issue was that Debo literally outran 2 of our DB's trying to catch the guy. Nothing against Debo, but it literally looked like the 2 DB's weren't running hard at all really. Have we been so demoralized in 4 games already to start seeing players give up? 

I mean there were some player interviews yesterday where a player (I think Campbell) said they expected the Titans to try to wear them down with run-heavy gameplan to Derrick Henry. And said that it kinda caught them off guard when they didn't do that.

My takeaway was "So you mean to tell me... they didn't do the ONE most obvious thing anyone would guess they'd try to do, the most predictable thing, and them NOT doing that completely had the defense frazzled is reason enough for DQ to go immediately."

Just now, emc008 said:

I agree with OP. 

My main issue is not the defense as a whole. 14 of the Titans points were literally off of gifts from our Defense allowing them to convert 3rd and longs. Not to mention penalties that also allow drives to continue. Hands to the face (although that call sucked) penalty also helped a drive continue. 

Then, the 1 play 62 yard score. These happen from time to time, but my issue was that Debo literally outran 2 of our DB's trying to catch the guy. Nothing against Debo, but it literally looked like the 2 DB's weren't running hard at all really. Have we been so demoralized in 4 games already to start seeing players give up? 

Those 2 DBs were, IIRC, Trufant and Rico.  And that isn't the worst part of it.  The worst part is Trufant had the angle, overran the play, and ended up screening Rico out of the play too.  It's the opposite of leverage tackling.  It's non-tackling that leverages the receiver toward open space and an unguarded end zone.

2 hours ago, ukfalc said:

Maybe the defence is too simple. Other teams have no problem recognising what we are doing, or how to slice it up. A simple, scheme is supposed to help the players play play quicker and avoid mistakes, but we don’t look like we get any benefit from it.

A good DC has an elaborate scheme that run different stunts and coverage off it to confuse. He seeks to anticipate his opponents likely responses to various  looks, using them to  lay traps for his opponent and bait them is to mistakes. 

The idea that you can run a simple defence at this level and succeed in the modern game is flawed in my view.

I don't think the idea is flawed necessarily. But defense in the NFL is all about disruption. The average YPP league wide is well over 5. That means un-disrupted, no offense ever faces a 3rd down. You either have to disrupt the offense's timing, or they have to make a mistake. You can't play for speed in recognition based on a simple scheme and then sit back in "read react". You have to be "attack react". You have to disrupt first, THEN react. 

31 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Those 2 DBs were, IIRC, Trufant and Rico.  And that isn't the worst part of it.  The worst part is Trufant had the angle, overran the play, and ended up screening Rico out of the play too.  It's the opposite of leverage tackling.  It's non-tackling that leverages the receiver toward open space and an unguarded end zone.

If Tru had a different jersey on they would've almost called him for a pick play lol.

2 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Maybe it happened because Trufant is afraid of contact. Don't know without re-watching, and I'm not sure I could stomach it.

But Trufant has definitely shown a propensity to avoid tackling this season.

4 hours ago, E. T. said:

What good is a defense when the players don't execute! The proof is in the pudding, watch these games closely and don't let the camera fool you. This defense has players who have either lost a step, not focused, can't tackle or just flat out will not make a tackle. 3 players come to mind among others....Tru, Camp, Vic.  

This defense needs a constant infusion of fresh legs by continuing to sign and draft well and not get caught up in long term deals that have low returns. Build around the productive core.

In his defense camp had 17 tackles and two forced fumbles.

4 hours ago, E. T. said:

The safety wanted no part of tackling #11’s first TD. I forget who it was but didn’t forget to drink myself into forgetting. 

Oliver wanted no part in tackling Henry on a longish run to the outside either. 

22 hours ago, roguebeaver said:

But today’s presser, he said it ain’t the philosophy, it’s a clear lack of focus!! 

it has to be the philosophy...he says every week its not about them its about us.  that translates into we don't prepare for the next team

we only work on us.  NE wins every way imaginable because they do prepare for the next opponent.