Why Matt Ryan takes so many sacks

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There’s no one open. The pressure wasn’t even the worst I’ve seen it this season. He had multiple snaps yesterday where he has time to get through all 5 reads, and you could see his head moving f

Bro do you know how rare it is for a QB to get through all five reads? If a QB has time to get  through all five reads and no one is open, then no one is getting open.

The problem is the offense under Koetter is designed for long developing plays that this OL cannot block for. Need to go back to the quick passing game from years prior 

28 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Beat the linebacker with velocity and ball placement.  Ball so fast the LB playing in that window couldn't get there.  Had to slow the play down because it happened so fast.  Now gone tell me why this doesn't count. :lol:

ronAEk.gif

The link below is what our offense should look like.  I challenge anyone to watch the highlights from that playoff  game and count a single time Ryan had the ball longer than 3 seconds.  

Now got watch last weeks game.  This is on the calls being made, not the QB.  With that said, Ryan has not been himself this year. You can see he is thinking rather than throwing

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000774255/Seahawks-vs-Falcons-highlights

44 minutes ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

The bar is super low to even think I was comparing Matt Ryan and Derek Carr. They’re asking Carr to do more by the way of unscripted offense. Same should be asked of Ryan as he’s performing worst than Carr at the moment.

We get your point but Carr wasn't a good example...:lol:     

Play man against Daniel Jones in redzone and this is what happens.  Northwestern looks like they have a spy on this play and he got caught up in the wash...

Image result for daniel jones gif

Edited by slickgadawg
7 minutes ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

Our offense will never look like that again. 

It was at least similar last year.  Not as explosive or on point in terms of rhythm, but it was similar. We scored a TD less per game in 2018 than 2016.  But 25 ppg is good enough to win titles.  If we had last years offense in 2017, we win the SB

The 2019 version is akin to a mentally challenged person trying to decipher Einstein’s theory of relativity

1 hour ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

Show me an offense that has a receiver open in 2 seconds every time they go to pass. Defenses actually produce in this league. When you’re 1 dimensional it’s hard to stress them.

2.5 seconds or less is what you’re aiming for.  Most highlight plays the ball is out in 2 seconds.  Then we have Brady

“According to data tracking done by Pro Football Focus, Brady has gotten the ball out in an average of 2.09 seconds“

14 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Solid point.  He trusted the routes and was willing to stay in and take a hit

All in all you don't want sacks ... I get that, but it's not the most important trait of a QB. Matt's a statue ... this isn't some new data point. Build an Offense that minimizes that flaw and move on to the next thing that can be addressed.

Fleet footed, quick thinking, strong armed QBs don't grow on trees.There's a finite number of Mahomes' and Jackson's in the world. That is why they are fun to watch.

Edited by Geneaut
1 hour ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

The link below is what our offense should look like.  I challenge anyone to watch the highlights from that playoff  game and count a single time Ryan had the ball longer than 3 seconds.  

Now got watch last weeks game.  This is on the calls being made, not the QB.  With that said, Ryan has not been himself this year. You can see he is thinking rather than throwing

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000774255/Seahawks-vs-Falcons-highlights

I watched the link that showed divisional round play vs. Seattle. Jesus those Falcons were rolling!!! Oh how we fell off. 

If Matt Ryan were playing for the Patriots he'd be the modern day Tom Brady. I said it before, Tom Brady was Matt Ryan before Matt Ryan existed. *****ing and moaning about his lack of "athleticism" when that hasn't hurt Tom Brady one bit because the Patriots scheme the offense to fit what Tom does best, get the ball out of his hands. Tom isn't holding the ball forever waiting for something that's never gonna come. And then by the off chance Brady does have a bad game like yesterday, his defense wins the game for him. Haters Gonna Hate but this is all truth. Don't like it, don't believe it, I don't care. You can't argue with truth!!

1 hour ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Beat the linebacker with velocity and ball placement.  Ball so fast the LB playing in that window couldn't get there.  Had to slow the play down because it happened so fast.  Now gone tell me why this doesn't count. :lol:

ronAEk.gif

Matt Ryan has had numerous completions like this in his career. But his arm strength always gets questioned. It's funny. I remember his rookie year where he hit Roddy against the Eagles for a long TD completion on a slant route. Talk about threading the needle, he did exactly that. One millisecond too late and it would have been knocked down or picked. Instead it was a 55-yard TD.

8 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

There’s no one open.

The pressure wasn’t even the worst I’ve seen it this season. He had multiple snaps yesterday where he has time to get through all 5 reads, and you could see his head moving from one side of the field to the other. No one was open, not even an outlet.

Ill let you draw your own conclusion from there.

They were covered most of the day but on one of the fourth down plays, Ridley was wide open but Ryan just held on to the ball and took a sack with Julio being doubled.

8 hours ago, GrimeyKidd said:

The problem is the offense under Koetter is designed for long developing plays that this OL cannot block for. Need to go back to the quick passing game from years prior 

Maybe, this is his diabolical plan to be head-coach! "Mwah-ah-ahh!!

*Joking of course*

I see TATF is on the hate MR train again lol.  So much wrong with this team... MR played well yesterday.  How bout the perfectly thrown ball to Sanu that was dropped in the endzone?  How bout the defense looking like hot garbage?  The OL looking like ish?  Matt isn’t excused... he didn’t play well in the first 2 games, yes I know we won 1 of those, but if you think he’s anywhere close to the main problem the last 2 games then you’re blind.  

4 hours ago, isproab said:

I don't think the conversation has anything to do with wanting Michael Vick back.  I've said it 100 times.  Part of the problem is that Matt Ryan doesn't extend plays.  I don't think anyone believes we need a QB that runs 4.42.  What we need is a guys that can do more than what all QB's should be able to do.  I think a lot of people see Ryan as a guy that he only does the minimum the QB position requires.  If a WR is open, he hits him.  That's great and all, but I look at it as you are paid to win games.  I need you to actually go out an make a couple of plays/throws a game that keep the team moving and or winning.  Now, we can have this conversation about other players too.  RB, we don't have one right now.  Julio has done his part, not so much Sunday.  Ridley was really good as a rookie, but absent for some reason this year.  QB gets the most money, the ball is in his hands on every snap, he has to be a difference maker to have a real shot.

Ryan, for all his success doesn't elevate the team at any point in a game.  Brees, Rodgers, Mahomes, Brady, Roethlisberger have all been that "X" factor at times.  Ryan has never been that.  If you just want a QB to hit open WRs, fine.  We have that.  Ryan will continue to get yards and win some games.  If you want to win a title, you need a guy to stand out at times during a game.

8 hours ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

The difference between a sustained 10 play drive and a 3 and out often times can be chalked up to one play.

When you have a QB that has no elusiveness and isn’t the slightest bit of nimble you squander many opportunities against any kind of pressure to keep your defense off the field.

No OL in this league perfectly pass blocks for 5+ seconds allowing their QB to scan the field and deliver a pass from a clean pocket on every play. Sometimes your QB has to make something shake for themselves to spring an offense with a new set of downs. Help your OL out for once.

Here you have a QB thats not the most athletic but he has quick and nimble feet giving passrushers a tough time to bring him down. Without Minshews heroics on this one singular play there’s a good chance the Jags lose this game.

Another crucial 3rd down where an elusive QB saves day to continue the drive. Instead this is what we have on crucial downs to save the day.

In no way am I trying to say Minshew is a better QB than Ryan. These are just the examples of playmaking ability that Ryan truly lacks with the kind of weapons any QB would dream of. Could you imagine Ryan being able to avoid pressure and buy time behind the line of scrimmage to hit one of our playmaking receivers down field for a huge play?

That why Cam & Watson get sack as much too?

2 hours ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

2.5 seconds or less is what you’re aiming for.  Most highlight plays the ball is out in 2 seconds.  Then we have Brady

“According to data tracking done by Pro Football Focus, Brady has gotten the ball out in an average of 2.09 seconds“

That Pats offense is all built around Brady getting rid of the ball fast. Little receivers running over the middle of the field getting separation and making catches then getting yards after the catch. Add in the occasional deep throw and boom the offense is unstoppable.

Ryan spends too much time dropping back and looking for the big play down field. Ugh Koetter.

9 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Well what the receivers are or aren’t doing isn’t on Matt. That’s on the coaches and whoever’s designing and calling it.

You want Matt to turn into sometime at 34 years old that he’s never been. How about the OC call the game to his strengths.

Ice was getting frustrated yesterday for many of the reasons you are explaining. There are times he calls plays that come in and you can tell by the look on his face it isn't going to work. Sometimes he audibles, sometimes he doesn't.  I wish he would do so more often.

3 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

If Matt Ryan were playing for the Patriots he'd be the modern day Tom Brady. I said it before, Tom Brady was Matt Ryan before Matt Ryan existed. *****ing and moaning about his lack of "athleticism" when that hasn't hurt Tom Brady one bit because the Patriots scheme the offense to fit what Tom does best, get the ball out of his hands. Tom isn't holding the ball forever waiting for something that's never gonna come. And then by the off chance Brady does have a bad game like yesterday, his defense wins the game for him. Haters Gonna Hate but this is all truth. Don't like it, don't believe it, I don't care. You can't argue with truth!!

You were literally calling for Ryan's job last week in the colts game thread and now you're saying he's Tom Brady. OK. 

1 hour ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

You were literally calling for Ryan's job last week in the colts game thread and now you're saying he's Tom Brady. OK. 

You cannot hold a post made in anger in the heat of the moment against me. The post I made here is very objective and made with a clear mind.