Why Matt Ryan takes so many sacks

Jerz

2 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

No, you're just speaking from a Madden Perspective. He didn't take a sack there. He did the only thing he could do. 

He could have kept drifting to the right sideline and bought 2 more seconds instead he pulled it down and tried to run..in slow motion.

8 minutes ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

He’s been figured out and these guys just can’t and refuse to see that!

While we talking about this, last season on the Fox pregame show, they were talking about the Falcons redzone issues after that first game against Philly.  Vick was asked about it and he said that Ryan isn't aggressive enough down there, that sometimes you got to let it fly.  Vick was being nice about it.  Wentz, Flacco, heck half the league can let it fly but Ryan is gun shy about it because of his arm strength...

Another point, Ryan IS A GOOD QUARTERBACK.  This is not across the board hating on Ryan because he is good.  The problem is his WEAKNESSES are being exposed more and more by defenses.  Its caused the Falcons offense to break down at critical times of the game and in redzone.  I believed initially that the Ravens were crazy for moving on from Flacco for Jackson because even though Flacco has arm strength, he is more like Ryan in that he cannot extend plays.  Harbaugh  and his offensive people fooled me on that one because not only can Jackson run the ball, he can throw it.  The Ravens have caught up to the modern offenses that have been brought over from college ( arizona perfect example).  Teams are looking for that quarterback who can throw AND extend plays ( daniel jones who I think will become the best quarterback in the NFC).

Edited by slickgadawg

7 minutes ago, since68andcounting said:

He's made TONS of throws into tight windows. Even a few this year. But his confidence level seems to vacillate between "heck yeah, I can do this" and "uhhh...maybe not now." I think some is physical, some is mental. Probably more mental. This is why he's always been (even in college) soooo dangerous late in a game when he's way behind. He has nothing to lose, and he knows it. When he's feeling it, he's as good as anyone. But to me he's NOT feeling it right now. Maybe it's lack of confidence in the new offense and receivers. IDK.

Our perception of what a tight window is obviously not the same...  Where I DO agree with you though is ryan doesn't have confidence to make certain throws...

Every QB has strengths and weaknesses.

Our RZ Offense was just fine last year without a running game.

What changed?

? Zzz...

Just last year you’ve got Matt playing at MVP levels with a 2nd year NFL OC in a system he and the other players are comfortable in.

Coaching matters.

Ryan’s arm didn’t just fall off.

For all the discussion, we won’t bring up the 3 consecutive plays a receiver drops a pass yesterday?

He hits Sanu in a tight window in the endzone in his breadbasket. Sanu depressed on the bench after we had to kick the FG mouthing “I should have caught that”...

Just now, slickgadawg said:

Another point, Ryan IS A GOOD QUARTERBACK.  This is not across the board hating on Ryan because he is good.  The problem is his WEAKNESSES are being exposed more and more by defenses.  Its caused the Falcons offense to break down at critical times of the game and in redzone. 

You are on the money.

The Ravens are a great example. Qb’s are being asked to do a little bit more in this league because defenses and DC’s have wisen up to immobile pocket passers. Having a weak arm just pours more salt on that realization.

We are never going to have top 5 position groups across the board on offense. When are we going to realize its futile trying to achieve that in order for Ryan to be successful?

23 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Brah, I been saying that for years about Ryan.  EVERYTHING goes back to his lack of arm strength.  I just made a comment in this very thread saying the exact same thing Simms said "  Ryan cannot throw into tight windows."   You said he did early in his career but I must have missed that.  He REALLY pops up in redzone.  If Ryan was mobile then it wouldn't mean as much, but since he is not mobile, defenses can do anything they want down there which leads to receivers having them tight windows.  Ryan either throws a pick or throws it out of bounds because he don't have IT.   Simms is correct on his assessment...

Come on, man.  Ryan ain't never made tight throws throw into tight windows?

giphy.gif

giphy.gif]

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

giphy.gif

YeOM6W.gif

Edited by PeytonMannings Forehead

54 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

You surely cannot win in the NFL today without a mobile QB.  That's why the last 5 Super Bowl winning QBs were *squints* Tom Brady, Nick Foles, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady

:huh:

Extend it to the past 10 years and add Brees, Eli, and Flacco to that list.

People are also not realizing that "mobile QBs" can get sacked alot as well. Deshaun Watson is tied 5th in times a QB has been sacked in a single season all-time with 62 sacks. Randall Cunningham is in the top 10 all-time twice at #2 and #9.

23 minutes ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

Because this is what he’s done in every offense he’s been.

Even with Shanny on 3rd and longs there times receivers would either be wide open or just breaking open but Ryan often times can’t see them because he succumbs to the pocket in 3 seconds instead of making just a quick nifty move that doesnt require huge athletic ability to buy him an extra second or so. He can never make the first guy miss.  

He has one of the best receiving cores in this league. Theres no reason, and I don’t care who is calling plays, that we should not be coming up with more big plays. Dirk is competent dude. I’m not about to sell him so short that he is the worst OC in the league from the past 5 years just to cape for Ryan.

Why does it have to be either or?

15 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Our perception of what a tight window is obviously not the same...  Where I DO agree with you though is ryan doesn't have confidence to make certain throws...

That throw to Gonzalez in the "Vick showdown" vs. Philly was a freaking rope to a window about 12 inches diameter. I was sitting in that end zone and had my binocs on it.

The should've been SB winning catch to Julio was flawless. Likewise the throw to Jenks against Chicago with 11 seconds left. There are a few dozen more examples in less crucial situations.

He can do it. He has done it. He's either lost confidence because he no longer believes he can, or because he truly can't anymore. Or like I said, he may not yet trust the receivers in the new offense that they'll be on the same page. Which, imo, is a very valid concern.
But either way imo he needs to let it fly like Vick said and let the chips fall where they may. 

Edited by since68andcounting

26 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

Why do y'all pretend like our receivers are *** and can't catch the ball? We had the fewest drops in the league until last week. Stop throwing the receivers under the bus to justify Ryan's mediocre play. 

Throw DQ and DK under the bus. At least they deserve it.

I was talking about every season under Ryan. Again there is enough fault to go around. The scheme doesn't utilize the talent we have, receivers are not coming back to the ball (or the defense isn't letting them), Ryan is making stupid mistakes (rookie type decisions, throwing off back foot, over throwing, under throwing, and looking clueless at times, and there is little variety in our whole team. I'm still not saying Ryan is THE problem, by the is a problem.

10 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Why does it have to be either or?

Because I have a very legetimate gripe about Ryan being inept in muddled pockets for his WHOLE career. 

You think I’m asking him to buy 10 seconds on every broken play there is. Stop exaggerating my point. 

Just make a little more happen in the pocket and maybe things will start going our way. Dirk has already showed he could drive up field and scheme in the redzone sometimes. 

Maybe converting 3rds which would give us a new set of downs early in the game could spring us into more points possibly giving us the lead which would allow us to dictate the flow of the game. 

Because we would have more chances.

We’re always playing catch up and a lot of that is due to Ryan you can’t deny that. 

Just now, Jerz #Quinning said:

Because I have a very legetimate gripe about Ryan being inept in muddled pockets for his WHOLE career. 

You think I’m asking him to buy 10 seconds on every broken play there is. Stop exaggerating my point. 

Just make a little more happen in the pocket and maybe things will start going our way. Dirk has already showed he could drive up field and scheme in the redzone sometimes. 

Maybe converting 3rds which would give us a new set of downs early in the game could spring us into more points possibly giving us the lead which would allow us to dictate the flow of the game. 

Because we would have more chances.

We’re always playing catch up and a lot of that is due to Ryan you can’t deny that. 

I’m not exaggerating your point. You’re exaggerating your point. I’m showing you where he held the ball for almost 6 seconds and you’re saying he should have done this and that and brought a few seconds more.

But that’s neither nor there. Basically what you’re saying is it’s Matt? You don’t have an issue with Kutty? If you’ve already answered that forgive me. I missed it.

Ryan has issues this season, but I don’t think his ability to buy time is one of them. He literally had no one to throw to on at least 10 passing plays. Koetter’s passing scheme is just not that good at all. There were quite a few plays where Ridley and Julio both went on deep developing routes, and they were completely covered. Even if he had 10 seconds to throw, on some of those plays it wouldn’t have mattered. 

We have no run game, so it’s easy for defenses to just clamp down on the pass. Ryan has his faults, but man Koetter’s scheme is not creative at all. 

4 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I’m not exaggerating your point. You’re exaggerating your point. I’m showing you where he held the ball for almost 6 seconds and you’re saying he should have done this and that and brought a few seconds more.

But that’s neither nor there. Basically what you’re saying is it’s Matt? You don’t have an issue with Kutty? If you’ve already answered that forgive me. I missed it.

I have an issue with Kutty he is not perfect.

But he is not so incompetent to the point we could only put 10 points on the Titans.

Scoring early would allow us to run the ball more, dictating the flow of the game for the offense AND defense.

Ryan constantly folding due to pressure in 3 seconds prevents us from sustaining long drives in the first half. SOMETIMES not all the time. 

Ryan being able to do a little more in the pocket and a change at RB could be all we need to put a ton of more points up on the board.

Edited by Jerz #Quinning

1 hour ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

The only receiver who came open was the TE late at the bottom of the screen who wasn't even part of the read as he he was in a block/release. He held the ball for 5.69 seconds here.

giphy.gif

UGH!

It's first and ten at their 42. There are two running backs in the backfield.....and yet...and yet. The falcons do not run the ball. They do not run play action. They run a play where three receivers run 10+ yards. No one is falling for that. If its play action someone downfield is open. If it's a run play, Freeman picks up 3-5 yards. 

I'm no football expert but that is basic 101 shiz right there.

4 minutes ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

But he is not so incompetent to the point we could only put 10 points on the Titans.

Scoring early would allow us to run the ball more, dictating the flow of the game for the offense AND defense.

Ryan constantly folding due to pressure in 3 seconds prevents us from sustaining long drives in the first half. SOMETIMES not all the time. 

Ryan being able to do a little more in the pocket and a change at RB could be all we need to put a ton of more points.

No, we don't. Koetter is that incompetent. Look at what the Bucs just did to the Rams IN LA, with Jameis freaking Winston. That never happens with Koetter, and he had a better roster on offense cause he still had Desean Jackson.

10 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

People think that just because you're a "mobile QB" that means that you can just easily avoid sacks and pressure.

Deshaun Watson is one of the most sacked QBs since he came into the NFL and was the 5th all-time in most sacks taken by a QB in a single season last year.

Watson got sacked 6 times yesterday. Lamar Jackson, Russell Wilson, and Kyler Murray all got sacked 4 times in their games yesterday.

3 minutes ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

Ryan being able to do a little more in the pocket and a change at RB could be all we need to put a ton of more points.

Fair enough, but being down early doesn’t stop you from running the ball if you’re a running team. Even if you’re down 14 especially early in the game that’s not enough to make you go away from the run. We had Miami down 17 two seasons ago and they pounded their way right back into the game.

Running the ball just ain’t who Dirk is despite whatever they keep saying at the branch.

1 minute ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Fair enough, but being down early doesn’t stop you from running the ball if you’re a running team. Even if you’re down 14 especially early in the game that’s not enough to make you go away from the run. We had Miami down 17 two seasons ago and they pounded their way right back into the game.

Running the ball just ain’t who Dirk is despite whatever they keep saying at the branch.

It was 7-7 and 14-7 at one point and the Falcons were in their end of the field. You can run or you can keep dropping Matt back so he can get sacked and fumble. 

3 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

People think that just because you're a "mobile QB" that means that you can just easily avoid sacks and pressure.

Deshaun Watson is one of the most sacked QBs since he came into the NFL and was the 5th all-time in most sacks taken by a QB in a single season last year.

Watson got sacked 6 times yesterday. Lamar Jackson, Russell Wilson, and Kyler Murray all got sacked 4 times in their games yesterday.

I’ll let Jerz respond for himself but yeah.

Just now, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Koetter isn’t running the ball because Freeman sucks. We are not getting any kind of efficient production out of him.

If we had a brusier that could push the pile and break these little arm tackles that freeman can’t juke away from he would be more inclined to running.

I wouldn’t want to run with Freeman either tbh. I’d bank on my MVP QB and league best receiving core.