Jump to content

Why Matt Ryan takes so many sacks


Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

It’d be great if he could occasionally buy time until someone could get open. I’m sure one of these receivers could manage to get open after 5 seconds. Sometimes you have to play some backyard football if the play breaks down instead of continuously taking coverage sacks.

You spitting in the wind on this.  Almost every other team in the league has moved to a mobile quarterback that can extend plays beyond a couple of reads that don't get open.  Ryan is a good quarterback when things around him are perfect.  I know exactly what you are saying.  Defenses are just too big and fast now for pocket quarterbacks.  Thats why the referee told that dude a couple weeks back to not hit brady...:lol:

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/dolphins-player-referee-told-me-stay-patriots-qb-tom-brady-after-legal-hit

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There’s no one open. The pressure wasn’t even the worst I’ve seen it this season. He had multiple snaps yesterday where he has time to get through all 5 reads, and you could see his head moving f

Bro do you know how rare it is for a QB to get through all five reads? If a QB has time to get  through all five reads and no one is open, then no one is getting open.

The problem is the offense under Koetter is designed for long developing plays that this OL cannot block for. Need to go back to the quick passing game from years prior 

9 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

 

The only receiver who came open was the TE late at the bottom of the screen who wasn't even part of the read as he he was in a block/release. He held the ball for 5.69 seconds here.

giphy.gif

Ryan wasn't even pressured here to where he had to vacate to his left!! He has no feel for the nuance of the pocket. A more nimble QB could have bought way more than 5.69 seconds with that pass blocking. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

You spitting in the wind on this.  Almost every other team in the league has moved to a mobile quarterback that can extend plays beyond a couple of reads that don't get open.  Ryan is a good quarterback when things around him are perfect.  I know exactly what you are saying.  Defenses are just too big and fast now for pocket quarterbacks.  Thats why the referee told that dude a couple weeks back to not hit brady...:lol:

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/dolphins-player-referee-told-me-stay-patriots-qb-tom-brady-after-legal-hit

Literally thousands of fans can see this clear as day. But these bozos on here are caught up on throwing everyone except Ryan under the bus. BUT FOR WHAT? Does anyone actually watch anything other than Falcon football?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Ryan doesn't have the instinct or wheels to make plays when the plays break down.  THATS my problem with him.  Thats the point OP is making.  Offensive Coordinators around the league are moving from the type of quarterback that just sits back there like Ryan...

He does have the instincts... Who is he throwing to when the play breaks down? Someone who drops the ball? Someone who is supposed to beat their man but doesn't? Force it to Julio and end with no catch, an interception, or "throw it where only Julio can catch it".... And nothing? 

Would someone who could run 4.3 do better on pass plays that take WAY TOO LONG, maybe? But the problem is we have some coaches that do not fit the players we have. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

Ryan wasn't even pressured here to where he had to vacate to his left!! He has no feel for the nuance of the pocket. A more nimble QB could have bought way more than 5.69 seconds with that pass blocking. 

If a receiver can't get open in 5.69 in the NFL then the problem is the play itself. It's not that the QB isn't buying enough time.  You're harping on stuff that isn't the norm.  You yourself even acknowledged at best he could have thrown up a 50/50 ball.  You didn't see any receivers really aggressively working their way back to him.

And that was just one play.  That kind of stuff was happening all day long.  And if you're quarterback is holding the ball all day long and getting through his reads and no one is open, then the problem isn't that your quarterback isn't buying enough time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

You spitting in the wind on this.  Almost every other team in the league has moved to a mobile quarterback that can extend plays beyond a couple of reads that don't get open.  Ryan is a good quarterback when things around him are perfect.  I know exactly what you are saying.  Defenses are just too big and fast now for pocket quarterbacks.  Thats why the referee told that dude a couple weeks back to not hit brady...:lol:

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/dolphins-player-referee-told-me-stay-patriots-qb-tom-brady-after-legal-hit

Perfect around him? Have you seen the numbers Ryan has put up with the crap we have had for coordinators and protection? But to be fair EVERY quarterback in the league does great when matched with a coordinator/scheme that is set up to work with all the talent on the team... We do not have this at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, FinalScore2.0 said:

Wasn't Shanny's offense designed for long developing plays? I could have swore that's what Belichick pointed out.

It was also designed around setting up those long plays with a running game. We're 28th in rushing attempts right now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

Literally thousands of fans can see this clear as day. But these bozos on here are caught up on throwing everyone except Ryan under the bus. BUT FOR WHAT? Does anyone actually watch anything other than Falcon football?

 

People see it but ignore it.  There is ZERO reason Julio Jones should not be destroying defenses in the redzone.  With his SIZE and ability to block out defenders it should be almost automatic down there.  The reason the Falcon suck in redzone is because defenses can play them man in redzone and double team Julio because they have ZERO, NADA respect for Ryan taking off and running it in for the touchdown.  He has done it here and there early in his career, but now they ignore it. 

Another problem ( not related to your original post) is he doesn't have the arm to risk throwing into tight windows.  Thats why you see him throwing out of the endzone down there if the play isn't just perfectly wide open.  Its NOT gonna be perfectly wide open down there.  He has thrown enough interceptions down there to where he gets gun shy about it. A quarterback with a arm just nods to the defense ( if they throw a pick down there) and goes back and hits it later for the touchdown.  Thats what Rodgers, Vick, Favre, Flacco, Stafford, etc. do. They are not gun shy down there...

Edited by slickgadawg
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

There’s no one open.

The pressure wasn’t even the worst I’ve seen it this season. He had multiple snaps yesterday where he has time to get through all 5 reads, and you could see his head moving from one side of the field to the other. No one was open, not even an outlet.

Ill let you draw your own conclusion from there.

When the opposing team knows you can't run the ball it makes it a lot easier to defend the pass. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, FinalScore2.0 said:

Wasn't Shanny's offense designed for long developing plays? I could have swore that's what Belichick pointed out.

He set up his long developing routes with misdirection and a strong running game. We don’t try to run so it makes everything more difficult.

And we are averaging 4.0 ypc so we should run more

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, FinalScore2.0 said:

Wasn't Shanny's offense designed for long developing plays? I could have swore that's what Belichick pointed out.

It was, and Matt Ryan was actually sacked a bunch that season too, people seem to forget. Problem is our offensive line has been putrid, like dead last quality when run blocking so we have nothing to set up our passing game. No offense can be effective with no threat whatsoever to run the ball, because it's very easy for the opposing defense to call a zone that takes away quick-hitting plays and to pin their ears back and get enough pressure to stop the long-developing plays. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Joey563 said:

He does have the instincts... Who is he throwing to when the play breaks down? Someone who drops the ball? Someone who is supposed to beat their man but doesn't? Force it to Julio and end with no catch, an interception, or "throw it where only Julio can catch it".... And nothing? 

Would someone who could run 4.3 do better on pass plays that take WAY TOO LONG, maybe? But the problem is we have some coaches that do not fit the players we have. 

everybody's fault but ryan's...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

The difference between a sustained 10 play drive and a 3 and out often times can be chalked up to one play.

When you have a QB that has no elusiveness and isn’t the slightest bit of nimble you squander many opportunities against any kind of pressure to keep your defense off the field.

No OL in this league perfectly pass blocks for 5+ seconds allowing their QB to scan the field and deliver a pass from a clean pocket on every play. Sometimes your QB has to make something shake for themselves to spring an offense with a new set of downs. Help your OL out for once.

Here you have a QB thats not the most athletic but he has quick and nimble feet giving passrushers a tough time to bring him down. Without Minshews heroics on this one singular play there’s a good chance the Jags lose this game.

Another crucial 3rd down where an elusive QB saves day to continue the drive. Instead this is what we have on crucial downs to save the day.

In no way am I trying to say Minshew is a better QB than Ryan. These are just the examples of playmaking ability that Ryan truly lacks with the kind of weapons any QB would dream of. Could you imagine Ryan being able to avoid pressure and buy time behind the line of scrimmage to hit one of our playmaking receivers down field for a huge play?

That was a horrible play call to start with. Matt certainly isn’t a scrambler, although he has come up with yards with his feet under the shanny based system. But that call with empty backfield and intermediate and long routes should be enough to get Koetter fired right on the spot.

why not have a back in and have a short dump off available with four wide? Or even an I formation to make them respect the run, and have to worry about FB. Just lots of options and that play is **** 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

If a receiver can't get open in 5.69 in the NFL then the problem is the play itself. It's not that the QB isn't buying enough time.  You're harping on stuff that isn't the norm.  You yourself even acknowledged at best he could have thrown up a 50/50 ball.  You didn't see any receivers really aggressively working their way back to him.

And that was just one play.  That kind of stuff was happening all day long.  And if you're quarterback is holding the ball all day long and getting through his reads and no one is open, then the problem isn't that your quarterback isn't buying enough time.

Plays where every receiver is covered happens all the time but you have QB's that can buy enough time to spring their guy open and you have QB's that don't have that ability. Simple stuff. 

I also acknowledged Ryan didn't even have to vacate to his left and he could have bought even more time for his receivers to get open. It only takes 1 or 2 plays to change the whole scope of the game/ offensive drive. Is it too much to ask your 30 million dollar QB to put the team on his back and make a play despite poor pass blocking at least once or twice a game on crucial downs? I guess so when your QB is Matt. 

This is the NFL bro everything isn't always going to break your way. You sometimes have to will yourself into success.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

Literally thousands of fans can see this clear as day. But these bozos on here are caught up on throwing everyone except Ryan under the bus. BUT FOR WHAT? Does anyone actually watch anything other than Falcon football?

 

I'll only speak for myself, but I have no problem throwing Ryan under the bus where it's warranted.  I've had plenty to say about his play this season.  This thread is built on a bad premise if that's what you're going for.

You should have made one on his lack of ball security.  That fumble yesterday in the pocket is a mistake I'd chew a high school kid out for making.  You never take that second hand off the ball in the pocket until you're throwing.  That's a terrible play for a veteran quarterback to make.  You work on ball security drills every day in practice.  I can go on all day about what a dipsh** play that was.

You shoulda made a thread on Ryan's arm.  His ball placement has been terrible all season.  I was never in love with his deadeye accuracy, but he's putting the ball on the wrong shoulder.  He's under throwing guys.  Yesterday he had a Shanny special set up off a bootleg throwback across the field on an over route and he under threw it.  Luckily a pass interference bailed us out.  He had a wide open Hooper on a crosser and didn't get it out in front of him.  Luckily we converted for a first down on that drive, but his arm doesn't look the same.

And then there's the decision making.  You shoulda made a thread on that and how terrible he's been locking into receivers and throwing into coverage on his way to leading the league in interceptions.

There's plenty of meat on that bone if you want to go at the way Matt is playing.  Him not buying 10 seconds in the pocket ain't one of them.

Edited by PeytonMannings Forehead
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

He set up his long developing routes with misdirection and a strong running game. We don’t try to run so it makes everything more difficult.

And we are averaging 4.0 ypc so we should run more

Total YPC doesn't tell the story. Matt Ryan has been our most effective runner this year, that should tell you all you need to know about the quality of our running game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Joey563 said:

Perfect around him? Have you seen the numbers Ryan has put up with the crap we have had for coordinators and protection? But to be fair EVERY quarterback in the league does great when matched with a coordinator/scheme that is set up to work with all the talent on the team... We do not have this at all.

Matt Ryan excuses:

1. the receivers

2. the offensive line

3. Sark

4. not having shanahan

5. koetter

6. quinn

7. stoker

8............

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

He set up his long developing routes with misdirection and a strong running game. We don’t try to run so it makes everything more difficult.

And we are averaging 4.0 ypc so we should run more

Plus Ryan threw touchdowns to 13 different players Superbowl year and Shanny knew how to target the open target and use what the defense have him; instead of targeting a double teamed Julio several times a game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Joey563 said:

He does have the instincts... Who is he throwing to when the play breaks down? Someone who drops the ball? Someone who is supposed to beat their man but doesn't? Force it to Julio and end with no catch, an interception, or "throw it where only Julio can catch it".... And nothing? 

Would someone who could run 4.3 do better on pass plays that take WAY TOO LONG, maybe? But the problem is we have some coaches that do not fit the players we have. 

Why do y'all pretend like our receivers are *** and can't catch the ball? We had the fewest drops in the league until last week. Stop throwing the receivers under the bus to justify Ryan's mediocre play. 

Throw DQ and DK under the bus. At least they deserve it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

What has changed? Koetter had a top ranked offense last year with the Bucs, is it the forced merger of other schemes or?

What changed is Koetter wasn’t calling the plays in Tampa last year.  When he did, they did what we are doing.  Yards but no points.  He called one game last year.  The result: 500 yards and 3 points.  Koetter calling plays is a 21 ppg guy.  
 

Tampa put up 84 points the last two weeks  and has nearly 500 yards rushing on the year.  We are at 281 yards rushing despite averaging more ypc than TB

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

That's what's so infuriating to watch this.  It's obvious we need to get more quick game integrated into what's going on.  Play to the quarterback's strengths.  Cover up the weaknesses along the line.  It ain't rocket science.

If you're #1 in passing attempts and #28 in rushing attempts, you're basically doing the defense's job for them, because there's nothing easier to defend than a one dimensional offense.  Even one with receivers as good as ours.

 

And what’s dumb is it’s exactly what Koetter spouted off when he was hired...

Makes 2018 all the more incredible of a passing offense...

IMO, the defense was expected to buy time for the offense to get experience going through it’s gameplan but we’ve gotten into some lopsided games in the first half. DK abandons the run and starts going wide. It worked for a few games but Titans shut it down.

Defense, Offense and STs all need to start games better.

Coaching and execution...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...