Why Matt Ryan takes so many sacks

Jerz

Just now, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Well what the receivers are or aren’t doing isn’t on Matt. That’s on the coaches and whoever’s designing and calling it.

You want Matt to turn into sometime at 34 years old that he’s never been. How about the OC call the game to his strengths.

I'm not hammering for Matt to turn into anything. I'm just saying this is what he is. We're going to see more of the same as long as he is here. Coverage sacks on 3rd down. Hiring Koetter is wasting whatever he was good at for however long its going to take to right the ship.

4 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

What has changed? Koetter had a top ranked offense last year with the Bucs, is it the forced merger of other schemes or?

This is not true, Koetter had a garbage time clean up offense last year.  They were slightly above average in points scored and high on passing yards because they were constantly playing from behind and couldn't run the ball.  Their "above average" points were also partially due to the fact that teams played soft coverage after being up big in most games.

6 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

What has changed? Koetter had a top ranked offense last year with the Bucs, is it the forced merger of other schemes or?

Yes.  Also, Todd Monken was the one calling plays for the majority of last season in Tampa.  That's another thing to factor in looking back at what he did there.

Just now, Jerz #Quinning said:

No he didn’t. Show me where he bought any kind of time instead of just running for his life outside of the pocket.

Ryan is buying time several times every game. The problem is how are you buying time when everyone is covered and you have crazy pressure hitting you when the time you buy runs out? 

I'm not excusing Ryan either. He has sucked BIG TIME trying to do too much and making careless stupid mental mistakes. I personally think we do not have the coaches to properly utilize all the talent we have. 

3 minutes ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

I'm not hammering for Matt to turn into anything. I'm just saying this is what he is. We're going to see more of the same as long as he is here. Coverage sacks on 3rd down. Hiring Koetter is wasting whatever he was good at for however long its going to take to right the ship.

That's what's so infuriating to watch this.  It's obvious we need to get more quick game integrated into what's going on.  Play to the quarterback's strengths.  Cover up the weaknesses along the line.  It ain't rocket science.

If you're #1 in passing attempts and #28 in rushing attempts, you're basically doing the defense's job for them, because there's nothing easier to defend than a one dimensional offense.  Even one with receivers as good as ours.

1 minute ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

No he is not. Show me. You can't just claim he is doing something when he is not.

What are you watching? Ryan bootlegs, scrambles, steps all over the pocket to avoid pressure, and even will hold onto the ball and release it as he is getting pounded; all just to buy time for a play to develop.

4 minutes ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

No he is not. Show me. You can't just claim he is doing something when he is not.

The only receiver who came open was the TE late at the bottom of the screen who wasn't even part of the read as he he was in a block/release. He held the ball for 5.69 seconds here.

giphy.gif

39 minutes ago, GrimeyKidd said:

The problem is the offense under Koetter is designed for long developing plays that this OL cannot block for. Need to go back to the quick passing game from years prior 

Actually, bro you are spot on!!!! Very true indeed!!! Watch teams with a good line during long developing plays and you see it. Great analyst!!!

9 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Yes.  Also, Todd Monken was the one calling plays for the majority of last season in Tampa.  That's another thing to factor in looking back at what he did there.

Can't help but think this a top 5 pick, new HC, new GM, and we are a playoff threat next year type team.

Ala Eagles Chip < Pederson or whatever his name is I'm drawing a blank.

2 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

That's what's so infuriating to watch this.  It's obvious we need to get more quick game integrated into what's going on.  Play to the quarterback's strengths.  Cover up the weaknesses along the line.  It ain't rocket science.

If you're #1 in passing attempts and #28 in rushing attempts, you're basically doing the defense's job for them, because there's nothing easier to defend than a one dimensional offense.  Even one with receivers as good as ours.

I hear you but just think about the times we are in 3rd and longs or even second and longs due to an offensive penalty or lost yardage on a dud run. In Koetters bumfvck offense we need a QB that can alleviate the pressure that comes his way when DC's blitz and play press man to take away quick passes. I've seen this too many times with Ryan. A quick little move here and there can do so much in sustaining drives and keeping us on the field. 

37 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

There’s no one open.

The pressure wasn’t even the worst I’ve seen it this season. He had multiple snaps yesterday where he has time to get through all 5 reads, and you could see his head moving from one side of the field to the other. No one was open, not even an outlet.

Ill let you draw your own conclusion from there.

Ryan doesn't have the instinct or wheels to make plays when the plays break down.  THATS my problem with him.  Thats the point OP is making.  Offensive Coordinators around the league are moving from the type of quarterback that just sits back there like Ryan...

Just now, Ovie_Lover said:

Can't help but think this a top 5 pick, new HC, new GM, and we are a playoff threat next year type team.

Ala Eagles Chip < Pederson or whatever his name is I'm drawing a blank.

I don't know, man.  I mean that kinda thing is best case scenario.  You never know what you're gonna get when you change everything at the top.  It's just as likely the new coach and GM will want to blow everything up and put their own stamp on it.  

We're married to certain players because of contracts, but you just never know how a retool will go, because we can't assume that a new coach would be as impressed with the talent here as we are.

4 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

The only receiver who came open was the TE late at the bottom of the screen who wasn't even part of the read as he he was in a block/release. He held the ball for 5.69 seconds here.

giphy.gif

You see this stuff so much more clearly than me, but at the end of the play, I saw 2 receivers jogging with a corner basically jogging with them.  Like they're just having a stroll.

Are you seeing something specifically that says this is schematic, or is it possible the players just don't give a ****?

I mean, one of them was Free.  He basically touched a guy as if he were blocking someone and then jogged toward the sidelines.  Not what I would call a maximal effort.  I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but it looks staged, which is an indication to me some dudes are taking plays off.

5 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

giphy.gif

He could've gave Sanu a chance there with a 50/50 ball near the sideline. He had inside leverage. Otherwise you can't even see Ridley or julio in this clip.

3 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Ryan doesn't have the instinct or wheels to make plays when the plays break down.  THATS my problem with him.  Thats the point OP is making.  Offensive Coordinators around the league are moving from the type of quarterback that just sits back there like Ryan...

^^^^^^

2 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

You see this stuff so much more clearly than me, but at the end of the play, I saw 2 receivers jogging with a corner basically jogging with them.  Like they're just having a stroll.

Are you seeing something specifically that says this is schematic, or is it possible the players just don't give a ****?

I mean, one of them was Free.  He basically touched a guy as if he were blocking someone and then jogged toward the sidelines.  Not what I would call a maximal effort.  I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but it looks staged, which is an indication to me some dudes are taking plays off.

It's like Roddy White said... There is no accountability.