Why Matt Ryan takes so many sacks

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There’s no one open. The pressure wasn’t even the worst I’ve seen it this season. He had multiple snaps yesterday where he has time to get through all 5 reads, and you could see his head moving f

Bro do you know how rare it is for a QB to get through all five reads? If a QB has time to get  through all five reads and no one is open, then no one is getting open.

The problem is the offense under Koetter is designed for long developing plays that this OL cannot block for. Need to go back to the quick passing game from years prior 

Matt Ryan has been told by upper management to pad his stats.. Take sacks, throw check downs (not saying he does have the arm or accuracy to go deep) or run like a duck with 2 left feet.. Ryan is a pro at stat padding, he always has been.. He dosnt have a great arm, he dosnt have the speed, he has the best receivers in the NFL so Ryan has everything needed to create a mirage of a elite qb without having to actually be elite. Years of the front office propping Ryan up has come to pay.. It couldn't last forever, now we're seeing the true Ryan so get use to it for the next 5 years 

17 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

You cannot hold a post made in anger in the heat of the moment against me. The post I made here is very objective and made with a clear mind.

Someone said Ryan lacks arm talent and you responded by slinging insults at me + someone else THEN changed your opinion during the game saying he's not good enough to win on this team. And now you're in this thread saying you don't know how people question his arm strength??

I don't know how "objective" anything you post is, man. Seem kinda wishy-washy

22 hours ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

They would get sacked even more if they were as slow as Ryan

Sacked
1. Deshaun Watson  HOU 62
2. Dak Prescott  DAL 56
3. Derek Carr  OAK 51
  Russell Wilson  SEA 51
5. Aaron Rodgers  GNB 49
6. Eli Manning  NYG 47
7. Josh Rosen  ARI 45
8. Marcus Mariota  TEN 42
  Matt Ryan  ATL 42
10. Kirk Cousins  MIN 40
  Matthew Stafford  DET 40
How many running QB are on this list? We still blaming this on Ryan. Just give the man 1 year of a good defense and o-line, I bet we wouldn't be blaming the ice man
3 hours ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

Someone said Ryan lacks arm talent and you responded by slinging insults at me + someone else THEN changed your opinion during the game saying he's not good enough to win on this team. And now you're in this thread saying you don't know how people question his arm strength??

I don't know how "objective" anything you post is, man. Seem kinda wishy-washy

Where did I say he wasn't good enough to win with?

11 minutes ago, Hibachi said:
Sacked
2. Dak Prescott  DAL 56
3. Derek Carr  OAK 51
  Russell Wilson  SEA 51
5. Aaron Rodgers  GNB 49
6. Eli Manning  NYG 47
7. Josh Rosen  ARI 45
  Matt Ryan  ATL 42
10. Kirk Cousins  MIN 40
  Matthew Stafford  DET 40
How many running QB are on this list? We still blaming this on Ryan. Just give the man 1 year of a good defense and o-line, I bet we wouldn't be blaming the ice man

Matt Ryan has a significantly better offensive line than all of those QBs except Mariota, Rosen and Prescott.

Wilson and Watson, IIRC, have historically bad offensive lines. The Falcons haven't had an OL that  bad since the late Mike Smith days. And in the early Mike Smith days the OL was top-tier.

20 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

Matt Ryan has a significantly better offensive line than all of those QBs except Mariota, Rosen and Prescott.

Wilson and Watson, IIRC, have historically bad offensive lines. The Falcons haven't had an OL that  bad since the late Mike Smith days. And in the early Mike Smith days the OL was top-tier.

I think his post was more abut addressing the point that these guys can extend plays like the OP is calling for, but still take a ton of sacks.

On 10/1/2019 at 6:51 PM, Hibachi said:
Sacked
2. Dak Prescott  DAL 56
3. Derek Carr  OAK 51
  Russell Wilson  SEA 51
5. Aaron Rodgers  GNB 49
6. Eli Manning  NYG 47
7. Josh Rosen  ARI 45
  Matt Ryan  ATL 42
10. Kirk Cousins  MIN 40
  Matthew Stafford  DET 40

still ryan had his chances to win and blew it, had the best unit on the field in a superbowl up 28 -3 and couldn't bring it home, played with julio and roddy white and hall a fame te and got stuck on the 2 yard line twice at the end of the game being denied two superbowl apperances winning and losing was all on him but he never grabbed the mantel 

On 10/1/2019 at 6:51 PM, Hibachi said:
Sacked
2. Dak Prescott  DAL 56
3. Derek Carr  OAK 51
  Russell Wilson  SEA 51
5. Aaron Rodgers  GNB 49
6. Eli Manning  NYG 47
7. Josh Rosen  ARI 45
  Matt Ryan  ATL 42
10. Kirk Cousins  MIN 40
  Matthew Stafford  DET 40

Actually we gave him 1 year of a good OL and good (not great) defense in 2016-17 and the guy won MVP.  And, if anyone thinks he was the reason we lost SB51, they didn't watch the game.

Edited by jlrfalcon
11 minutes ago, jlrfalcon said:

Actually we gave him 1 year of a good OL and good (not great) defense in 2016-17 and the guy won MVP.  And, if anyone thinks he was the reason we lost SB51, they didn't watch the game.

Our offensive lines from 08-2010 were decent, our 2012 was good, our 2016 OL was top 3 and our 2017/2018 offensive lines were top 10.

Our OLs have always been thrown under the bus to lift up Ryan. Certain years, we legit just had **** offensive lines (2013-2015) but they really aren't as bad as people say they are.

PFF isn't always reliable, but their OL grades are usually pretty good and the Falcons offense consistently ranks in the top 10.

6 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

Our offensive lines from 08-2010 were decent, our 2012 was good, our 2016 OL was top 3 and our 2017/2018 offensive lines were top 10.

Our OLs have always been thrown under the bus to lift up Ryan. Certain years, we legit just had **** offensive lines (2013-2015) but they really aren't as bad as people say they are.

PFF isn't always reliable, but their OL grades are usually pretty good and the Falcons offense consistently ranks in the top 10.

Lol. 

Just now, falcons007 said:

Lol. 

I don't expect much from you in terms of analysis, but c'mon man.

Which metric do we want to use? Sacks allowed? Footballoutsiders instead of PFF, maybe? Because either way, they rarely grade out in the bottom half of the league.

You're the same guy that drug me for saying Beasley wasn't that good in 2016 if you go back over the film and look at his grades he got. Had the same condescending attitude too and you were DEAD wrong.

On 1/10/2019 at 6:06 PM, ChickenBiscuit said:

7 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Lol. 

Hilarious. PFF is questionable all around but they are particularly terrible at grading o-lines and everyone pretty much knows that.

7 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

I don't expect much from you in terms of analysis, but c'mon man.

Which metric do we want to use? Sacks allowed? Footballoutsiders instead of PFF, maybe? Because either way, they rarely grade out in the bottom half of the league.

You're the same guy that drug me for saying Beasley wasn't that good in 2016 if you go back over the film and look at his grades he got. Had the same condescending attitude too and you were DEAD wrong.

That is bunch of horse you know what. Provide the raw stats of hits and QB pressures. I am not interested in some voodoo grades and never used them ever.

Just now, Dr Long Shot said:

Hilarious. PFF is questionable all around but they are particularly terrible at grading o-lines and everyone pretty much knows that.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol/2017

Very similar grading regardless of what website or metric you're using.  

My point is, if we're gonna talk about any of this **** as fan, you have to use some form of analytics or else you're just calling it by your gut and at that point we're basically just talking about our feelings.

There are valuable forms of metrics and grading, you just gotta sort through the bs.

Just now, ChickenBiscuit said:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol/2017

Very similar grading regardless of what website or metric you're using.  

My point is, if we're gonna talk about any of this **** as fan, you have to use some form of analytics or else you're just calling it by your gut and at that point we're basically just talking about our feelings.

There are valuable forms of metrics and grading, you just gotta sort through the bs.

Paste their methodology.... the answer will be obvious. 

On 10/1/2019 at 3:51 PM, Hibachi said:
Sacked
2. Dak Prescott  DAL 56
3. Derek Carr  OAK 51
  Russell Wilson  SEA 51
5. Aaron Rodgers  GNB 49
6. Eli Manning  NYG 47
7. Josh Rosen  ARI 45
  Matt Ryan  ATL 42
10. Kirk Cousins  MIN 40
  Matthew Stafford  DET 40

Russell takes some BAD ones like running ten yards the wrong way. But that all goes away when he makes a play.