Jerz #Quinning

Why Matt Ryan takes so many sacks

310 posts in this topic

Dan Reeves talked about how he INSTRUCTED Vick to take advantage of defenses that played man against him by running the ball.  Vick had a reputation of running the ball first, nah, it was by design.  WHY force a ball or take a sack when the middle of the defense would part wide open like the red sea for Vick?  Running quarterbacks make defensive coordinators and defenders play looser on their man.  They HAVE to keep a eye on the quarterback.  With Ryan they just MAUL the receivers with coverage because they are in no way shape or fashion worried about Ryan taking off, ESPECIALLY in redzone...

8 minutes ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

Listen to the clip. We need some unscripted offense from Matt Ryan.

@PeytonMannings Forehead

I've always liked Derek Carr.  But Derek Carr hasn't shown himself to be a better player in this league than Matt Ryan despite all his physical gifts.  So whatever Matt Ryan is or isn't, can't extend plays, can't work the pocket, etc. he's outperformed Carr.  At the end of the day, that's what it comes down to.

Just now, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I've always liked Derek Carr.  But Derek Carr hasn't shown himself to be a better player in this league than Matt Ryan despite all his physical gifts.  So whatever Matt Ryan is or isn't, can't extend plays, can't work the pocket, etc. he's outperformed Carr.  At the end of the day, that's what it comes down to.

The bar is super low to even think I was comparing Matt Ryan and Derek Carr. They’re asking Carr to do more by the way of unscripted offense. Same should be asked of Ryan as he’s performing worst than Carr at the moment.

Spts1 likes this

30 minutes ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

Thats why receivers break off their route all the time when the play is dead. Do you even watch football?

I played and coached. I now teach. Let's go back to this particular play. Receivers can't break off from their routes, because you're out there the do your job. Timing is everything, and this play was almost automatically stopped from the beginning. If you paid attention to that play, you would know that it was being outcoached at it's finest. Madden has you thinking that you can run all over the field like No Jackson on Tecmo Bowl.

3 minutes ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

The bar is super low to even think I was comparing Matt Ryan and Derek Carr. They’re asking Carr to do more by the way of unscripted offense. Same should be asked of Ryan as he’s performing worst than Carr at the moment.

Bro, you're the one who threw the clip up talking about we need more of this.

Schwarzwald and Geneaut like this

1 hour ago, isproab said:

I don't think the conversation has anything to do with wanting Michael Vick back.  I've said it 100 times.  Part of the problem is that Matt Ryan doesn't extend plays.  I don't think anyone believes we need a QB that runs 4.42.  What we need is a guys that can do more than what all QB's should be able to do.  I think a lot of people see Ryan as a guy that he only does the minimum the QB position requires.  If a WR is open, he hits him.  That's great and all, but I look at it as you are paid to win games.  I need you to actually go out an make a couple of plays/throws a game that keep the team moving and or winning.  Now, we can have this conversation about other players too.  RB, we don't have one right now.  Julio has done his part, not so much Sunday.  Ridley was really good as a rookie, but absent for some reason this year.  QB gets the most money, the ball is in his hands on every snap, he has to be a difference maker to have a real shot.

Ryan, for all his success doesn't elevate the team at any point in a game.  Brees, Rodgers, Mahomes, Brady, Roethlisberger have all been that "X" factor at times.  Ryan has never been that.  If you just want a QB to hit open WRs, fine.  We have that.  Ryan will continue to get yards and win some games.  If you want to win a title, you need a guy to stand out at times during a game.

I'm sorry, but if you think Ryan does the minimum you are flat wrong. 

Bro, you're the one who threw the clip up talking about we need more of this.

I said listen to the clip. **** the QB in the clip sheesh didn’t think I’d have to spell that out for you.

46 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

both defenders are flashing toward the ball placement but can't get there because of the speed of the ball...  

Beat the linebacker with velocity and ball placement.  Ball so fast the LB playing in that window couldn't get there.  Had to slow the play down because it happened so fast.  Now gone tell me why this doesn't count. :lol:

ronAEk.gif

Just now, Geneaut said:

I'm sorry, but if you think Ryan does the minimum you are flat wrong. 

How about you bouce out of my thread. You have nothing of substance to add.

1 minute ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

I said listen to the clip. **** the QB in the clip sheesh didn’t think I’d have to spell that out for you.

I did listen to the clip.  And?

Different player, different scheme, different coach.

Edited by PeytonMannings Forehead
Schwarzwald and Geneaut like this

Just now, Jerz #Quinning said:

How about you bouce out of my thread. You have nothing of substance to add.

Wasn't talking to you. Get Moderator by your name and I'll think about it.

I did listen to the clip.  And?

Different player, different scheme, different coach.

You’re trying to act like unscripted plays are not apart of this game. You have a HC asking that of his QB. Koetters offense would look much better if Matt could work off script with these weapons.

2 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Fair enough, but being down early doesn’t stop you from running the ball if you’re a running team. Even if you’re down 14 especially early in the game that’s not enough to make you go away from the run. We had Miami down 17 two seasons ago and they pounded their way right back into the game.

Running the ball just ain’t who Dirk is despite whatever they keep saying at the branch.

This is very true. I frankly think Mularkey is the only one keeping him from going off the rails. We stuck with the run against Philly and it paid off. 

It's not that Dirk won't run the ball. He just gives up TOO easily. I mean, his career average is about 2/3 to 1/3 pass to run. That's pretty much what he is.

Just now, Jerz #Quinning said:

You’re trying to act like unscripted plays are not apart of this game. You have a HC asking that of his QB. Koetters offense would look much better if Matt could work off script with these weapons.

I didn't assert anything of the sort.  I'm simply dealing with the reality of the situation.  As I said in one of my original posts and you agreed, you're expecting Matt to evolve into something that's never been his game -- even though I actually can point to numerous off script plays he's made in his 11 seasons.  

And Dirk's offense would work much better if he would actually call it to the strengths of what he has to work with.

Schwarzwald and Falconsfan567 like this

Didn't Matt run for a 1st down yesterday? Anyhow Ryan isn't going anywhere anytime soon and has everything we need in a QB to win. (plenty arm strength I saw some bullets yesterday) The Offense as a Whole needs to fix whats wrong and do what what we do best and hide whatever weakness we have. Football is the ultimate team game and everybody needs to do their part to be successful.

Geneaut likes this

12 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Beat the linebacker with velocity and ball placement.  Ball so fast the LB playing in that window couldn't get there.  Had to slow the play down because it happened so fast.  Now gone tell me why this doesn't count. :lol:

ronAEk.gif

Maan.  I'm trying to go about my day but you KEEP popping up in my notifications...:lol:  How long did it take you to find this?   I WOULD nickpick that the linebacker is in front of the play and not right AT the window where the ball is to finish but I will let that pass on this one. Yes, Ryan had time to step into a throw and wind up with everything he had and beat the linebacker who was in the front window, i mean beat the linebacker...:lol:    You know what, I'll give that to Ryan straight up because the linebacker DID drop into a zone and Ryan beat him.  You found one...:lol:

Image result for clapping hands gif billy dee williams

Edited by slickgadawg

Just now, slickgadawg said:

Maan.  I'm trying to go about my day but you KEEP popping up in my notifications...:lol:  How long did it take you to find this?   I WOULD nickpick that the linebacker is in front of the play and not right AT the window where the ball is to finish but I will let that pass on this one. Yes, Ryan had time to step into a throw and wind up with everything he had and beat the linebacker who was in the front window, i mean beat the linebacker...:lol:   

I knew that's what you would say. :lol:

4 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I didn't assert anything of the sort.  I'm simply dealing with the reality of the situation.  As I said in one of my original posts and you agreed, you're expecting Matt to evolve into something that's never been his game -- even though I actually can point to numerous off script plays he's made in his 11 seasons.  

And Dirk's offense would work much better if he would actually call it to the strengths of what he has to work with.

The reality is Matt has numerous limitations that hold the offense back.

Trust me I don’t expect this slow footed doofus to evolve into anything other than what he is. I’m putting you guys on game and basically telling ya’ll this is what you’re going to see as long as Matt is here. 

SAACCKKK. Game over.

4 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

At this point, man, what are we really talking about?  We've both agreed Matt Ryan isn't that kind of quarterback.

Sure he didn't have to roll left?  Sure maybe if he held the ball for 9 seconds someone would have come open, but why aren't you more bothered that no one did come open in almost six seconds.

And yes, sometimes QB's have to make plays with their legs.  Sure, an elite QB is gonna have to make plays when everything isn't perfect... but if I'm telling you that this type of play happened frequently yesterday, then why don't you think that the true culprit as to why Matt takes so many sacks lies elsewhere?

What he said.

A good route has the ball out in 2 seconds.  When the QB’s rhythm is in sync with the WR routes, the ball is out of the QB’s hand 3 seconds.

6 seconds is a joke.  

1 minute ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

Trust me I don’t expect this slow footed doofus to evolve into anything other than what he is. I’m putting you guys on game and basically telling ya’ll this is what you’re going to see as long as Matt is here. 

SAACCKKK. Game over.

The only limitation Matt Ryan has that's holding this offense back this season is between his ears.  And even though he's been a huge problem, he's pretty far from the only problem on offense, and he's probably not even the worst (I'm looking at you Luke Stocker).

1 minute ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

What he said.

A good route has the ball out in 2 seconds.  When the QB rhythm is in sync with the WR routes, the ball is at most on the QB’s hand 3 seconds.

6 seconds is a joke.  

The level of planning on failure and just wing it believers is just sad...

JDaveG and FalconsIn2012 like this

2 minutes ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

SAACCKKK. Game over.

What is an acceptable number of sacks for a QB to take?

9 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

What he said.

A good route has the ball out in 2 seconds.  When the QB rhythm is in sync with the WR routes, the ball is at most on the QB’s hand 3 seconds.

6 seconds is a joke.  

Show me an offense that has a receiver open in 2 seconds every time they go to pass. Defenses actually produce in this league. When you’re 1 dimensional it’s hard to stress them.

Edited by Jerz #Quinning