Jerz #Quinning

Why Matt Ryan takes so many sacks

310 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Black Francis said:

You mentioned elusivenes and not being nimble which I agree Ryan is not I’m just pointing out that there is more to sacks and sustaining drives than that by using an example of a player who is very elusive and very nimble that led the league in sacks last year at 62 and already has 18 this year. My response was perfectly reasonable. I comprehend just fine. Your takes are simplistic at best. Ryan can’t run = more sacks. Watson can run = more sacks? Wait how does that work? 

Also,  it’s not that important. Also if “like” ooooooohhh is code for “black” then just go there I can take it. I’m Black Francis  man! 

He and Vick’s athleticism are part of the reasons why they were sacked so much, I find myself saying “get rid of ball” watching Watson at times.

Brady is elusive enough but is probably the easiest sack in the league when he’s beat. 

Heres an example of the opposite. Remember the two wholly unnecessary grounding calls on ultra athletic Marriotta, on the same drive yesterday, where he was literally in the grasp and being dragged down? Sacks happen for a lot of reasons.

Edited by ant.accurate

1 minute ago, ant.accurate said:

He and Vick’s athleticism are part of the reasons why they were sacked so much.

Because they always try to do TOO much. They trust in their athletic ability to the point where they constantly dance behind the line of scrimmage. 

These 2 guys were brought up an ample amount of times in this thread when I didn't mention them once. Swear TATF has a reading comprehension problem.

50 minutes ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

Peep the guys bringing up “Vick” or “mobile” QB to exaggerate my point. No one is asking Ryan to be a mobile QB or buy 10+ seconds every time a play breaks down. 

Just a little more jazz in the pocket from Ryan and this offense could take off. Having a better arm would help but thats asking for too much. 

Observation skills suck for the homer crowd.  

The thing about Vick.  What IF you were referring to Vick?  Why is it Vick's ability soo hated by some folks?  Why is it wrong IF some people wished a quarterback that has talent similar to Vick was quarterback?  Justin Fields, Trevor Lawrence,  Jacob Eason, they have similar skill set to Vick. The people who like Vick like the TALENT.  The swag and other stuff was extra fluff.  Nobody cries when a quarterback is compared to Steve Young or Randall Cunningham, but you bring Vick up and its suppose to be wrong.  The reason Vick's name STILL comes up is because of the talent he had at quarterback.  Its like some folks want us to forget it happened.  Well it happened.  The Michael Vick experience happened.  It really did...  The dome is BACK to half empty because people are tired of a boring product that doesn't win.  If the Falcons had won that Superbowl, then the fans could put up with this boring product.  Not only did they blow the Superbowl, they blew the fanbase.  A lot of folks want to move on from Ryan, Dimitroff and anything about that Superbowl, even if they will not admit it...

Image result for michael vick experience gif

Jerz #Quinning likes this

6 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

That wasn't a criticism of his placement, my criticism is his ball speed.  The throws where a quarterback beats the defender to the ball with arm strength.  Those were very good throws by Ryan in those examples...

The way you phrased it sounded exactly like a criticism.  Then you said "zip something up the middle where you beat a linebacker, corner or safety."

That's exactly what this throw is.  Put it over the linebacker and right in front of the safety -- on 3rd and 16 no less.

giphy.gif

11 minutes ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

I think Brees is elusive and nimble on his feet. Have you seen him work a pocket? The example I used was Gardner freaking Minshew. You assumed Watson was the peak of my stance since he is so athletic and nimble. LOL Your response was so off base on a simplistic take. Hmmm

That’s not even remotely close to being true. You’re just making stuff up now. You used Minshew I used Watson. What’s the big deal? I’m saying it’s more than just being elusive and nimble. It can be coached too. Shanny taught Ryan how to side step a la Tom Brady and it appears as if Ryan has regressed 

Just now, Black Francis said:

I’m saying it’s more than just being elusive and nimble. It can be coached too. Shanny taught Ryan how to side step a la Tom Brady and it appears as if Ryan has regressed 

And I’m saying no sh*t it takes more than being elusive and nimble but it sure does help when you’re as slow twitch as Ryan.

Ryan even had this problem in Shannys offense taking quick unnecessary sacks. It’s plagued him his whole career and is why DC’s love to blitz his slow ***.

3 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

The way you phrased it sounded exactly like a criticism.  Then you said "zip something up the middle where you beat a linebacker, corner or safety."

That's exactly what this throw is.  Put it over the linebacker and right in front of the safety -- on 3rd and 16 no less.

giphy.gif

Excellent throw.  But since we picking apart the throws,  was a defender flashing across the throw? Again, its a throw where nobody is gonna get it but his receiver.  Tight window, check. No problem there,  but beat a defender.  The linebacker is trailing the play, he is not flashing across it trying to knock it down...

Faithful Falcon likes this

2 hours ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

He could have kept drifting to the right sideline and bought 2 more seconds instead he pulled it down and tried to run..in slow motion.

Look at the replay. Drifting to the side for what? To throw the ball out of bounds? No go ahead and talk that lame @ss homer vs whoever ****. Study the game. This ain't Madden.

Just now, slickgadawg said:

Excellent throw.  But since we picking apart the throws,  was a defender flashing across the throw? Again, its a throw where nobody is gonna get it but his receiver.  Tight window, check. No problem there,  but beat a defender.  The linebacker is trailing the play, he is not flashing across it trying to knock it down...

Show me an example of what you're talking about.

3 hours ago, Dr Long Shot said:

because it's very easy for the opposing defense to call a zone that takes away quick-hitting plays and to pin their ears back and get enough pressure to stop the long-developing plays. 

I followed you until.... Is that what the Falcons do in zone coverage?

8 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Show me an example of what you're talking about.

both defenders are flashing toward the ball placement but can't get there because of the speed of the ball...  The ball gets there soo fast the GIF itself can't keep up...

Image result for brett favre gif

Edited by slickgadawg
Jerz #Quinning likes this

19 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

giphy.gif

LOL, he won’t see this, he’ll be blind to this video.

Just like he won’t see where MR ran for first by the chains.  He looked fairly nimble to me there.

Agenda maybe.

Buc fan here.  This ish isn't on Ryan, or your OL or Freeman.  It's Koetter.  He doesn't give the QB options.  Many/most of his plays the shallowest receiver is 10+ yards downfield.  And he has no skill at calling running plays.  The guy is 100% boom or bust.  Winston is a lot more elusive than Ryan, and a lot riskier with his throws.  He was put in the same situation, sometimes he made things work with his feet, sometimes he made incredible throws, and a lot of times he got intercepted trying to make incredible throws because he had no option and wouldn't throw it away.  Ryan won't make plays with his feet, won't take the risky throws, and you can't always throw it away.

JMHO

Skin doc likes this

3 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

both defenders are flashing toward the ball placement but can't get there because of the speed of the ball...  The ball gets there soo fast the GIF itself can't keep up...

Favre was notorious for what I’m talking about and he wasn’t “moBiLe”.

Edited by Jerz #Quinning
Spts1 likes this

1 minute ago, slickgadawg said:

both defenders are flashing toward the ball placement but can't get there because of the speed of the ball...

That gif is sped up terribly but ok, Matt Ryan ain't making Brett Favre throws.  No argument there.  Doesn't mean Matt doesn't make tight throws and hasn't beaten defenders with his arm.

JDaveG, Geneaut, Skin doc and 2 others like this

11 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

Look at the replay. Drifting to the side for what? To throw the ball out of bounds? No go ahead and talk that lame @ss homer vs whoever ****. Study the game. This ain't Madden.

To give his receivers more time?? This isn’t hard stuff to understand.

4 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

There’s no one open.

The pressure wasn’t even the worst I’ve seen it this season. He had multiple snaps yesterday where he has time to get through all 5 reads, and you could see his head moving from one side of the field to the other. No one was open, not even an outlet.

Ill let you draw your own conclusion from there.

This is it. I can’t believe no one could get open. Was it the route combinations? Was it the defense changing up coverage so much? Our receivers without a shadow of a doubt have individual talent. 

Faithful Falcon likes this

Just now, Faithful Falcon said:

Routes don't work like that. 

Thats why receivers break off their route all the time when the play is dead. Do you even watch football?

2 minutes ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

Favre was notorious for what I’m talking about and he wasn’t “moBiLe”.

exactly...

4 hours ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

This has plagued Ryan in any offense he’s been in. We just had a OC in Shanny that elevated Ryans game to the point where we overlooked his flaws.

How long is Koetter going to be here? Theres a good chance Ryan won’t get the the perfect OL for a couple of years. 

Ryan elevated shanny just as much as he elevated ryan and got the browns OC cast off payed like he has with other OCs

Spts1 and Skin doc like this

1 minute ago, me4falcons said:

Ryan elevated shanny just as much as he elevated ryan and got the browns OC cast off payed like he has with other OCs

Stick to the topic

4 hours ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

It’d be great if he could occasionally buy time until someone could get open. I’m sure one of these receivers could manage to get open after 5 seconds. Sometimes you have to play some backyard football if the play breaks down instead of continuously taking coverage sacks.

You mean buying time like this.

https://youtu.be/FSirjCbbP1c

Skin doc likes this

10 minutes ago, me4falcons said:

I agree there.  They elevated each other.  I saw flashes of how good a play caller Shanahan was when he brought the browns into atlanta with no quarterback and beat the falcons.  He couldn't do anything with RG3 up in Washington...