Jerz #Quinning

Why Matt Ryan takes so many sacks

310 posts in this topic

The difference between a sustained 10 play drive and a 3 and out often times can be chalked up to one play.

When you have a QB that has no elusiveness and isn’t the slightest bit of nimble you squander many opportunities against any kind of pressure to keep your defense off the field.

No OL in this league perfectly pass blocks for 5+ seconds allowing their QB to scan the field and deliver a pass from a clean pocket on every play. Sometimes your QB has to make something shake for themselves to spring an offense with a new set of downs. Help your OL out for once.

Here you have a QB thats not the most athletic but he has quick and nimble feet giving passrushers a tough time to bring him down. Without Minshews heroics on this one singular play there’s a good chance the Jags lose this game.

Another crucial 3rd down where an elusive QB saves day to continue the drive. Instead this is what we have on crucial downs to save the day.

In no way am I trying to say Minshew is a better QB than Ryan. These are just the examples of playmaking ability that Ryan truly lacks with the kind of weapons any QB would dream of. Could you imagine Ryan being able to avoid pressure and buy time behind the line of scrimmage to hit one of our playmaking receivers down field for a huge play?

5 minutes ago, GrimeyKidd said:

The problem is the offense under Koetter is designed for long developing plays that this OL cannot block for. Need to go back to the quick passing game from years prior 

This has plagued Ryan in any offense he’s been in. We just had a OC in Shanny that elevated Ryans game to the point where we overlooked his flaws.

How long is Koetter going to be here? Theres a good chance Ryan won’t get the the perfect OL for a couple of years. 

Edited by Jerz #Quinning
Chitown2ATL_Falcon likes this

Just now, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

There’s no one open.

The pressure wasn’t even the worst I’ve seen it this season. He had multiple snaps yesterday where he has time to get through all 5 reads, and you could see his head moving from one side of the field to the other. No one was open, not even an outlet.

Ill let you draw your own conclusion from there.

/thread

We just grabbed 4 new lineman to take wes Schweitzer off the field and we just sustained enough injuries to have that clown pop up at Center and Ty Sombraillo playing guard...

That line would have even Cam Newton changing into his overalls and head scarfs by the third quarter 

2 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

There’s no one open.

The pressure wasn’t even the worst I’ve seen it this season. He had multiple snaps yesterday where he has time to get through all 5 reads, and you could see his head moving from one side of the field to the other. No one was open, not even an outlet.

It’d be great if he could occasionally buy time until someone could get open. I’m sure one of these receivers could manage to get open after 5 seconds. Sometimes you have to play some backyard football if the play breaks down instead of continuously taking coverage sacks.

Spts1 likes this

11 minutes ago, GrimeyKidd said:

The problem is the offense under Koetter is designed for long developing plays that this OL cannot block for. Need to go back to the quick passing game from years prior 

Every play Koetter runs isn’t some long developing pass play. Even Matts short 8 yard throws were contested. It’s time to stop regurgitating this notion. The DB’s were playing up a good amount of time yesterday. Matt only started picking them apart when they played soft zone.

10 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

There’s no one open.

Koetter is trash. Quinn has done some befuddling stuff, but Koetter is straight trash. We will never have a run game or an enjoyable offense with him calling the plays. Period.

Rhodaric, Spts1 and Flying Falcon like this

4 minutes ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

It’d be great if he could occasionally buy time until someone could get open. I’m sure one of these receivers could manage to get open after 5 seconds. Sometimes you have to play some backyard football if the play breaks down instead of continuously taking coverage sacks.

he did and most QB throw the ball away and are ok to punt. With the Falcons defense, you don't have the luxury to throw it away.

5 minutes ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

Bro do you know how rare it is for a QB to get through all five reads? If a QB has time to get  through all five reads and no one is open, then no one is getting open.

1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

he did and most QB throw the ball away and are ok to punt. With the Falcons defense, you don't have the luxury to throw it away.

No he didn’t. Show me where he bought any kind of time instead of just running for his life outside of the pocket.

9 minutes ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

This has plagued Ryan in any offense he’s been in. We just had a OC in Shanny that elevated Ryans game to the point where we overlooked his flaws.

How long is Koetter going to be here? Theres a good chance Ryan won’t get the the perfect OL for a couple of years. 

The problem is (as stated above) that it's an offense that isn't best for what we have and there is only success when DK tweaks the offense to be unpredictable and uses movement, alignment, and plays to confuse and set up other plays.  Shanny didn't cover up flaws; Shanny had an offense that constantly kept the opposition guessing. 

WhenFalconsWin likes this

Just now, Jerz #Quinning said:

No he didn’t. Show me where he bought any kind of time instead of just running for his life outside of the pocket.

you must not be watching the games, he steps in pocket rolls out when it is needed. if no one is open in 5 s, they ain't getting open. 

mtldirtybird likes this

1 minute ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Bro do you know how rare it is for a QB to get through all five reads? If a QB has time to get  through all five reads and no one is open, then no one is getting open.

Do receivers not break off their route when the play breaks down? I literally see it every week. When a receiver sees their QB in distress they’re not staying commited to the initial route.

3 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

you must not be watching the games, he steps in pocket rolls out when it is needed. if no one is open in 5 s, they ain't getting open. 

I think we have two different definitions of buying time. I've seen him both climb and leave the pocket, albeit very slowly.

There's a reason Cameron Jordan calls him "sack lunch".

Edited by ChickenBiscuit
Jerz #Quinning likes this

22 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

There’s no one open.

This is patently obvious to anyone.

For what it’s worth, Ryan can & will run for the chains & does a reasonably good job of it when he chooses.  He did it in this game if I recall.

But, as the scheme dictates, he’d rather kill a team with his arm. He’s more of the Brady, Manning & Brees type of QB’s but is actually capable of running for it.

Having said that, I am deeply concerned that we cannot or have not schemed very well to get people open.

If Dirk cannot draw up plays to scheme this WR crew open, then we’re in trouble!

We have problems on both sides of the ball & it’s pretty clear that coaches, players & execution all share blame in our failures as a team.

18 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

There’s no one open.

What has changed? Koetter had a top ranked offense last year with the Bucs, is it the forced merger of other schemes or?

2 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Oh he steps up in the pocket lmfaoo get out of here bro thats not what I’m talking about. When Matt rolls out he is so slow the defender is usually already on his *** and he doesn’t have enough time to get the ball off or enough arm to make an off balance throw.

ChickenBiscuit and shango like this

3 minutes ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

Running for your life outside the pocket is buying time.  I can think of 2 plays off the top of my head yesterday where he got outside the pocket was looking downfield, but no one came uncovered so he had to tuck it and take the yards.  Your other comment saying that receivers were blanketed on the 8 yard routes is the issue, this offense isn't scheming anyone open and you aren't going to consistently win 1 on 1 when the other team is scheming to take away your best options.

mtldirtybird likes this

2 minutes ago, Jerz #Quinning said:

Do receivers not break off their route when the play breaks down? I literally see it every week. When a receiver sees their QB in distress they’re not staying commited to the initial route.

Well what the receivers are or aren’t doing isn’t on Matt. That’s on the coaches and whoever’s designing and calling it.

You want Matt to turn into sometime at 34 years old that he’s never been. How about the OC call the game to his strengths.