DogIsYourName

Falcons have been more unlucky than bad

45 posts in this topic

I think the Falcons are an average NFL team but so far the ball has not bounced our way. 

The unlucky:

First, we sold out this offseason to upgrade our OL.  But we've had multiple injuries there and were playing a thrid-string guard yesterday.  Honestly, any time Schweitzer is out there is a good indicator we will not win the game.

Then we've been very unlucky with turnovers.  Multiple times we stripped the ball carrier yesterday only to have the ball bounce to where only Titans could recover or it went out of bounds.

The turnover luck is a big deal.  Out team has been repeating this "ball" mantra.  Ryan already had 6 INTs coming into the game, so I feel like he was unwilling to take chances downfield in this one.  That's why we only scored 10 points.  We did not challenge the defense and even on desperate 3rd downs Ryan threw the ball out of bounds instead of just taking a shot.

The bad:

There are a few things that have hurt us that aren't really luck.  One is penalties.  We just can't stop making fouls at the wrong times on both sides of the ball. 

The other is tackling.  You can't play a soft zone all game unless you are able to quickly tackle whoever catches a pass.  But we have players like Trufant who are basically unable to tackle anyone who sees them coming.  So we can't just keep playing the zone, which is Quinn's bread and butter.

We need to make teams try to beat us downfield, which will help our turnover luck above.

me4falcons and ATLskinjob like this

I've seen just about every type of Falcons team since the early 70s, so that includes some really bad teams. 

I can honestly say (albeit after four games) that this team is currently as poor as I've ever seen.  

They are lost on the field, and soft overall.   They try, but it seems like the harder they try to worse they play.  

They seem to have so many problems that I don't even know where I would start, to fix it.  

And I'm talking about all the players, and all the coaches.  

It's an ugly scene, and as it stands, I'd be shocked to see them win more than four games.  

Why do people want to make so many excuses for this team?

I like Quinn, TD, BLANK, most of the players, (exclude Duke, Hardy, Stocker and a few others) but trying to sweep the "SUCK" under the rug isn't helping this team and it's fans.

If "our suckage" were a tumor growing out of control a doctor would've removed it by now. Why aren't we letting a doctor remove the tumor?

3 minutes ago, octoslash said:

I've seen just about every type of Falcons team since the early 70s, so that includes some really bad teams. 

I can honestly say (albeit after four games) that this team is currently as poor as I've ever seen.  

They are lost on the field, and soft overall.   They try, but it seems like the harder they try to worse they play.  

They seem to have so many problems that I don't even know where I would start, to fix it.  

And I'm talking about all the players, and all the coaches.  

It's an ugly scene, and as it stands, I'd be shocked to see them win more than four games.  

Me from 1967 and finally I have had enough.Live in Tennessee,like Vrabel and knew the Titans were tougher on the field.The Falcons still play soft zone and have not been able to stop or convert a 3rd and 1 for 20 years....I am out!

I don't know, OP. I'm usually all about trying to give my team the benefit of the doubt. But "unlucky" is that interception that rolled off someone's a$$ in New Orleans into Saints' hands. That's not much of what I'm seeing this season. What I'm seeing is a QB practically leading the league in interceptions of the pure "bad" variety, drops from our best WRs and TE, a defense that lets people get so wide open I probably could complete the pass to them, a special teams unit that starts the opponent at midfield half the time and misses field goals from ranges that used to be no-brainers, a head coach who has to know he's on the hot seat and yet seems more lost than ever. This isn't luck, or lack thereof. I wish it were. Your luck is always bound to change. The problem here is much, much deeper than that.

2 minutes ago, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

I don't know, OP. I'm usually all about trying to give my team the benefit of the doubt. But "unlucky" is that interception that rolled off someone's a$$ in New Orleans into Saints' hands. That's not much of what I'm seeing this season. What I'm seeing is a QB practically leading the league in interceptions of the pure "bad" variety, drops from our best WRs and TE, a defense that lets people get so wide open I probably could complete the pass to them, a special teams unit that starts the opponent at midfield half the time and misses field goals from ranges that used to be no-brainers, a head coach who has to know he's on the hot seat and yet seems more lost than ever. This isn't luck, or lack thereof. I wish it were. Your luck is always bound to change. The problem here is much, much deeper than that.

Yeah, hard to refute some of this.  Even the special teams has been luck-related, because our punter got hurt.  But we rolled the dice with a new kicker and had to go back to Bryant, who finally seems completely over the hill.

To me, if we could just stop commiting a penalty every third play and have the ball bounce our way a few times we'd win a lot of these games though.

We are by far the most unlucky team in the league. It never seems to bounce our way...

The Edelman catch in the superbowl. (Luckiest thing I have ever seen)...

The INT bouncing off Neal's knee against the Eagles in the playoffs...

The play this year against the Eagles where Wentz knee was almost down but still completed the pass...

...Just to name a few.

This stuff never happens to other teams time and time again.

So do we need to have all the Falcons players looking for pennies on the sidewalk?

Do we need a bunch a rabbit foots?

This is just way too much bad luck to explain.

27 minutes ago, DogIsYourName said:

Yeah, hard to refute some of this.  Even the special teams has been luck-related, because our punter got hurt.  But we rolled the dice with a new kicker and had to go back to Bryant, who finally seems completely over the hill.

To me, if we could just stop commiting a penalty every third play and have the ball bounce our way a few times we'd win a lot of these games though.

Yeah... how many fumbles did the falcons force that rolled out of bounds? Or right back into their hands? Definitely frustrating

I just don't see the "Unlucky" ways of the Falcons. What I see is a fundamental breakdown for this team. This team does not know how to practice winning football anymore. Dan Quinn's "Teachings" are not resonating with his team anymore. Dirk Koetter's scheme seems very pedestrian too.

This team just isn't as good as we thought. The penalties and the inability to tackle is really bad. Freeman is Done after this season imo. Marriota flat out balled -he looked a lot better that Number 2.

Our Offense should be top 5 with the weapons we have but we cant seem to get out of our own way - Going to be a long season guys

55 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Why do people want to make so many excuses for this team?

I like Quinn, TD, BLANK, most of the players, (exclude Duke, Hardy, Stocker and a few others) but trying to sweep the "SUCK" under the rug isn't helping this team is it's fans.

If "our suckage" we're a tumor growing out of control a doctor would've removed it by now. Why aren't we letting a doctor remove the tumor?

Yea real fans would hold the team accountable and not make excuses for the horrible performance so far. We are going to face much stronger teams then we have so far. Currently this is looking like a 4-12 team and with our talent that is not acceptable.

46 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

Yea real fans would hold the team accountable and not make excuses for the horrible performance so far. We are going to face much stronger teams then we have so far. Currently this is looking like a 4-12 team and with our talent that is not acceptable.

This team ends up worse than last season considering we have most players back, heads will roll and they need too.

I'm tired of the excuses. Last year it was injuries. Now this year it's something else.

Saints and Panthers are down QBs and guess what? 2-0.

Bucs just beat the living **** out of the defending NFC Champs.