What do you think Dirk Koetter needs to do to get this offense rolling?

Our collective worries about Koetter in the offseason have come to fruition. I just don't think Koetter is the answer for our offense. Not sure we can fix it. There is no creativity or persistence in the run game. This leads to our offensive line getting their butts kicked and our offense being inconsistent. We can move the ball because of our talent but the turnovers and inconsistency I believe points to Koetter.

Add more plays to his playbook besides:

• 4 Verts
  • Singleback HB Dive for -1 yard
  • WR Bubble Screen

Add the following WCO concepts back

• SLANTS, ******* SLANTS - Julio and Ridley are two of the best Slant WRs in the game, really Sanu is too.
  • Outside zone runs
  • More pre-snap motion to setup mismatches, not just move a TE to the otherside to check man vs. zone
  • Motion out RBs and use RBs in the passing game as more than just dumpoffs.

He also could quit so we can hire a WCO OC, IDK why the **** you would hire a power running, passing heavy air-raid style offense with entirely WCO personnel who are GREAT at running WCO.

40 minutes ago, ATLFalcon36 said:

He also could quit so we can hire a WCO OC, IDK why the **** you would hire a power running, passing heavy air-raid style offense with entirely WCO personnel who are GREAT at running WCO.

Nearly everything about this is wrong.  Koetter doesn't run an Air Raid or a power running game.

He isn't a WCO coordinator, granted.  He wasn't the best hire for that reason.  But he could easily make it work.  Coryell and WCO aren't all that different when you get down to it.

Honestly with how bad our o-line is playing it really limits what options we have on offense. We can't run the ball, at all. That's the biggest thing. We can't run on first down, second down, or third down. We can't run draws, we can't run on the inside, and we can't run to the outside. It was easy for the Titans to dial up plays to defend us in fourth down because we really didn't have a lot of options. This o-line is the worst o-line The Falcons have had since Matt Ryan was drafted and it's really not even close. Alex "all pro" Mack, has played like garbage all season, and he's still been our best lineman. That pretty much says it all. 

49 minutes ago, KamiKazee27 said:

Our collective worries about Koetter in the offseason have come to fruition. I just don't think Koetter is the answer for our offense. Not sure we can fix it. There is no creativity or persistence in the run game. This leads to our offensive line getting their butts kicked and our offense being inconsistent. We can move the ball because of our talent but the turnovers and inconsistency I believe points to Koetter.

Let's get something better than absolute dead last type of play from our offensive line before we scrap our offensive hire. 

5 hours ago, FinalScore2.0 said:

It may be more up to Quinn than Koetter. Is he still trying to run Shanny's offense or can he run his own?

If Koetter doesn't think he can run some of Shanny offense he shouldn't have taken the job. It's not like he was desperate for a job as Minnesota would have hired him or someone else.

2 hours ago, octoslash said:

It looked to me like Tennessee actually did a great job in the defensive backfield.  Better than the Colts did, for sure.  

And of course it doesn't help when your billionaire receivers do get open, but are dropping wide open passes that hit them in unfortunate places...like their hands.  

2 hours ago, Dr Long Shot said:

Honestly with how bad our o-line is playing it really limits what options we have on offense. We can't run the ball, at all. That's the biggest thing. We can't run on first down, second down, or third down. We can't run draws, we can't run on the inside, and we can't run to the outside. It was easy for the Titans to dial up plays to defend us in fourth down because we really didn't have a lot of options. This o-line is the worst o-line The Falcons have had since Matt Ryan was drafted and it's really not even close. Alex "all pro" Mack, has played like garbage all season, and he's still been our best lineman. That pretty much says it all. 

We need Lindstrom badly

3 hours ago, KamiKazee27 said:

We need our offensive line to stay healthy and a good running game. That's the problem 

5 hours ago, ChiefGSU275 said:

He has to evaluate his route concepts. Too often receivers are stagnant when making a catch, which allows for the defense to either blanket them or quickly converge after a catch. The concepts do not get players open, it relies too heavily on crisp routes and even then results in small windows for Ryan to get the ball into before a defender is there. And let's be real, that is not Ryan's strong suit. I do not understand how so many teams will have plays with receivers running wide open, yet here we are back in 2014 where our guys are working twice as hard for half the results. 

Also, the run game has to be fixed. If the defense knows we're just going to pass all day, then they can focus on pass coverage and disregard worrying about any threat of a run game. We seem to have abandoned the outside zone runs, which Freeman excelled in, and now we're back to those terribly designed inside runs where he's fortunate to squeeze through and pick up 3-4. 

Bottom line is this - every scheme, concept, and play call works to perfection on paper. But if you cannot get your players to execute it on the field, or if the defense is not being manipulated as the play design would suggest, then it's time to re-evaluate. 

Shouldn't Julio and Ridley be able to beat single coverage?

I haven't been looking at film to see if Julio has been single covered but I'm thinking Ridley has.  Wasn't that what they drafted him for?  To be able to feast on the single coverage because of all the attention Julio is getting?

1 hour ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Shouldn't Julio and Ridley be able to beat single coverage?

I haven't been looking at film to see if Julio has been single covered but I'm thinking Ridley has.  Wasn't that what they drafted him for?  To be able to feast on the single coverage because of all the attention Julio is getting?

Yes they should, but they aren't. The route combos are predictable and the defenders are obviously aware of what is coming at them.