Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Falcons Fan MVP

What do you think Dirk Koetter needs to do to get this offense rolling?

45 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Skeetbird said:

Fix the run game. Freeman hesitated a couple of times yesterday, where before he made his decision and went for it. Give Ollison some playtime and start Ito. Not that that is our biggest problem but...

But it would be a good start.

Skeetbird likes this

Step 1: Bench Freeman and his non explosive tip toeing routine
Step 2: Don't fall behind by 17 points every 1st half
Step 3: O-Line Do their job
Step 4: Actually Run the Ball 
Step 5: Stop Committing Turnovers & Penalties

Considering I doubt any of these change, The answer is...It won't.

Edited by PriMeTiiMe
dodge_birds_fan likes this

He has to evaluate his route concepts. Too often receivers are stagnant when making a catch, which allows for the defense to either blanket them or quickly converge after a catch. The concepts do not get players open, it relies too heavily on crisp routes and even then results in small windows for Ryan to get the ball into before a defender is there. And let's be real, that is not Ryan's strong suit. I do not understand how so many teams will have plays with receivers running wide open, yet here we are back in 2014 where our guys are working twice as hard for half the results. 

Also, the run game has to be fixed. If the defense knows we're just going to pass all day, then they can focus on pass coverage and disregard worrying about any threat of a run game. We seem to have abandoned the outside zone runs, which Freeman excelled in, and now we're back to those terribly designed inside runs where he's fortunate to squeeze through and pick up 3-4. 

Bottom line is this - every scheme, concept, and play call works to perfection on paper. But if you cannot get your players to execute it on the field, or if the defense is not being manipulated as the play design would suggest, then it's time to re-evaluate. 

me4falcons likes this

6 minutes ago, ChiefGSU275 said:

He has to evaluate his route concepts. Too often receivers are stagnant when making a catch, which allows for the defense to either blanket them or quickly converge after a catch. The concepts do not get players open, it relies too heavily on crisp routes and even then results in small windows for Ryan to get the ball into before a defender is there. And let's be real, that is not Ryan's strong suit. I do not understand how so many teams will have plays with receivers running wide open, yet here we are back in 2014 where our guys are working twice as hard for half the results. 

Also, the run game has to be fixed. If the defense knows we're just going to pass all day, then they can focus on pass coverage and disregard worrying about any threat of a run game. We seem to have abandoned the outside zone runs, which Freeman excelled in, and now we're back to those terribly designed inside runs where he's fortunate to squeeze through and pick up 3-4. 

Bottom line is this - every scheme, concept, and play call works to perfection on paper. But if you cannot get your players to execute it on the field, or if the defense is not being manipulated as the play design would suggest, then it's time to re-evaluate. 

This

He should "stand down"!  Retire!  Walk off the field!  Quit!!!  Leave and not come back!  This is his second gig with the FALCONS with the sale ole results!!!

I’m not sure our big back will get a chance to show what he can do this year. The fact that it only takes one shot to send Free flailing backward isn’t a good thing with this oline. We need a back that can absorb some shots and go forward. There are way to many minus runs to recover from putting us in third and long.

its just simple football. I’m not sure why we don’t just line up and knock someone’s d**k in the dirt!!!!

it protects the defense and controls the clock!

Geneaut likes this

Not be Dirk Koetter. I didn't like him when he was here the first time. Why bring him back? We couldn't run the ball when he was here the first time. Once again, why bring him back? smh I could go on.

It's like the defense has our playbook and their captain is hooked into Matt's headset. They know the play before we even run it. The route combinations we run are pathetic and easy to cover. We don't even make the other team work for it on either side of the ball. Darn near every catch is heavily contested. Yet opposing offenses and offenses around the league seem to get receivers wide open with less talent than we have.

30 minutes ago, FinalScore2.0 said:

It may be more up to Quinn than Koetter. Is he still trying to run Shanny's offense or can he run his own?

The offense hardly looks anything like what Shanny and Sark ran. Either way it's bad. Whether DK tries to run Shanny's offense (which doesn't look like it) or runs his own, it doesn't change the fact that the playcalling has generally been stale, unimaginative, and one dimensional. Once again Ryan passed over 40 times for the third time in four games. That is unsustainable, but that's typical Dirk Koetter.

I recommend he tries to develop a game plan for the next game.  WTH?  It is worth a try. 

Honestly, the O was just running plays.  There was no game plan.