PriMeTiiMe

3rd and 15

92 posts in this topic

Can anyone explain to me why our coaches (DQ I am looking at you) think its smart to drop our defenders back 20 yards every time we have the other team in 3rd and long? I don't see any other team in the NFL do that EVER except at the very end of the game or half. Yet we do that garbage every time we get someone in 3rd and long.

We probably lose either way but when it was 7-7 and we gave up that 3rd down conversion that changed the game completely.

Edited by PriMeTiiMe

3 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Can anyone explain to me why our coaches (DQ I am looking at you) think its smart to drop our defenders back 20 yards every time we have the other team in 3rd and long? I don't see any other team in the NFL do that EVER except at the very end of the game of half. Yet we do that garbage every time we get someone in 3rd and long.

We probably lose either way but when it was 7-7 and we gave up that 3rd down conversion that changed the game completely.

Yeah that was the dumbest call I have seen in awhile 

NeonDeion likes this

12 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Can anyone explain to me why our coaches (DQ I am looking at you) think its smart to drop our defenders back 20 yards every time we have the other team in 3rd and long? I don't see any other team in the NFL do that EVER except at the very end of the game of half. Yet we do that garbage every time we get someone in 3rd and long.

We always go soft on 3rd and long. If you watched the saints last night (F*** saints/swampers/rat-faced-boy) the pressured the cowgirls on 3rd and long and even the hail Mary at the end of the game.

Our defense is soft and that's one of the main reasons we lost the SB.

roguebeaver, sdogg, putnam6 and 5 others like this

I was yelling at the TV “too far back!” and  “too soft!”.

That was just bad execution. I can’t imagine it was drawn up so that the sticks defenders would concede 12-13 yards before trying to tackle. 

thajames likes this

Just now, WhenFalconsWin said:

We always go soft on 3rd and long. If you watched the saints last night (F*** saints/swampers/rat-faced-boy) the pressured the cowgirls on 3rd and long and even the hail Mary at the end of the game.

Our defense is soft and that's one of the main reasons we lost the SB.

Exactly. We are the only team who does that. Saints have burned us countless times when we have them in 3rd and long and drop everyone back only rushing 3. We never learn or adapt.

Coaching staff has to go.

Just now, PriMeTiiMe said:

Exactly. We are the only team who does that. Saints have burned us countless times when we have them in 3rd and long and drop everyone back only rushing 3. We never learn or adapt.

Coaching staff has to go.

Yup.

The Titans did the same thing on a 3rd and long. I believe Sanu made the catch and almost got the first down. This allowed the falcons to try for a fourth down attempt. 

The thought is to keep everything in front and collapse on the ball. Problem is the falcons have been taking such poor angles and tackling so poorly that it is not working.

1 minute ago, high impact said:

Quinn plays scared and soft. That is why the team has turned on him.

I wanted Quinn here even before we fired Smitty. I ended up being wrong and I'm willing to admit my mistake.

Now it's time the Falcons admit it and move on.

I want out next HC  to promise me/us this, he will have a power running game where 3rd and 4th and short will be no problem, a mean junkyard defense that teams fear,  time of possession team, and one that know how to manage the game and the click.

That is all...if you care to add to this feel free.

Emmitt likes this

5 minutes ago, EpicBird said:

I was yelling at the TV “too far back!” and  “too soft!”.

That was just bad execution. I can’t imagine it was drawn up so that the sticks defenders would concede 12-13 yards before trying to tackle. 

I was doing the same thing and wasn't surprised they picked it up, I also could tell when the middle of the field was going to be open too....we are so predictable. 

Peteshweddy likes this

Just now, montanaman71 said:

The Titans did the same thing on a 3rd and long. I believe Sanu made the catch and almost got the first down. This allowed the falcons to try for a fourth down attempt. 

The thought is to keep everything in front and collapse on the ball. Problem is the falcons have been taking such poor angles and tackling so poorly that it is not working.

They were literally in prevent defense at that point as the game was over. Not really the same situation but yeah thats the idea except it fails more often than it works for us so why keep doing it.

spiker likes this

He probably thinks our safeties can't cover on their own if the CB gets beat.

The immediate 3rd and 7 following that he did play press coverage. It didn't work because the CB got beat on that out sideline play.

Still hate Quinn and want a new coach.

A lot of teams actually do this. Here's the problem.

1. Players should be reacting towards the ball on the throw. The tackle should be happening as soon as the pass is complete. Slow reaction.

2. Players are taking terrible angles and have been all season. I don't understand how this isn't fixed during practice.

3. Players aren't tackling well. Against Philly we tackled very well so unsure why it has been inconsistent in other weeks.

That call is fine. It has worked for this team and other teams consistently before. The aforementioned things are the issue.

2 hours ago, NeonDeion said:

@PeytonMannings Forehead any explanation for DQ’s thinking on this? 

It’s every teams thinking in extreme long third down yardage. You drop everyone to the sticks and make them throw it underneath.

At least this time we didn’t rush three and give the receivers time to actually get beyond 15 yards.

It played out exactly the way it was supposed to. The guy caught the ball at lest ten yards short of the markers. The problem is guys forgot to make the tackle.

59 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

It’s every teams thinking in extreme long third down yardage. You drop everyone to the sticks and make them throw it underneath.

At least this time we didn’t rush three and give the receivers time to actually get beyond 15 yards.

It played out exactly the way it was supposed to. The guy caught the ball at lest ten yards short of the markers. The problem is guys forgot to make the tackle.

While I obviously respect your opinion I disagree. 3rd and 15 is not exactly an extremely long 3rd down. Yes it's long but were not talking 3rd and mile here. I don't ever see any high level defense (bears, vikings, ravens, etc) run that style of defense in that situation. The QB is going to have all day to throw so even if you play the sticks eventually someone will get open behind them.

1 hour ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Rico is one who missed. Everyone is playing out of character. 

1 hour ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Agreed. So with that being said, this is not on Quinn, this is on the players which should take majority of the blame of what's really going on.

17 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Rico is one who missed. Everyone is playing out of character. 

Nope. Go watch it. Devondre Campbell. He's clueless, per usual. It's 3rd & 15. Only two WRs to his side. He's lined up above the numbers, creating a massive hole in the middle of the field. Not that big of a deal. Yet, the WR he's lined up in front of starts running towards that hole at the snap while Campbell's first step is outside. Which makes entirely no sense because Oliver is over there. He's got no clue what he's doing until the ball is out and it's too late. Misses the tackle and Titans first down. 

He's been the most irritating player on defense for a while in my opinion. He never has a clue what's going on. If he wasn't 6'4, he's little different than Duke Riley. 

23 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

While I obviously respect your opinion I disagree. 3rd and 15 is not exactly an extremely long 3rd down. Yes it's long but were not talking 3rd and mile here. I don't ever see any high level defense (bears, vikings, ravens, etc) run that style of defense in that situation. The QB is going to have all day to throw so even if you play the sticks eventually someone will get open behind them.

Its actually common strategy. You play the sticks giving up the underneath while keeping the play in front of you. But the defense must swarm and make that tackle.

falconsd56 and Falconsfan567 like this

Before they snapped the ball on that 3rd and 15, when they dropped back, I yelled WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

because I could see it coming.  

And of course they pick up 16 yds and I knew we were bound to lose.  

Peteshweddy likes this