Falconsfan567

Pete Carmichael

86 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Didn't know that.

I was always led to believe that it was Payton calling the plays for some reason.

Read the articles I posted at the beginning of this thread. When Payton was suspended it was Pete Carmichael running the offense. Look at the quotes from Drew Brees talking about how Payton is the only one that knows the offense better than Carmichael and how smart Carmichael is and how he's a major part of their success.

DonOfThemBirds likes this

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Exactly!! Anyone that wouldn't want this man running the Falcons offense is stupid. Point blank!!

What are thee chances it happens 567.

7 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Slim....

Carmichael has taken the HC interview tour several times, but always came back saying he is very happy right where he is. The Saints highly value him. Next to Sean Payton, He's the single most important offensive coach in the building.  

The only way I see him leaving is for a HC position that offers him wide control over the entire program, much like Payton enjoys.

Iron Saint and Falconsfan567 like this

On 9/29/2019 at 11:09 PM, Falconsfan567 said:

Article from 2016 talking about Pete Carmichael being the playcaller for the Saints and the success he's having.

The article makes me like him more. I'm also impressed with how him and Payton adjust their offense to their personnel.

Falconsfan567 likes this

1 hour ago, SaintRay said:

Slim....

Carmichael has taken the HC interview tour several times, but always came back saying he is very happy right where he is. The Saints highly value him. Next to Sean Payton, He's the single most important offensive coach in the building.  

The only way I see him leaving is for a HC position that offers him wide control over the entire program, much like Payton enjoys.

Blank gave a lot of control to Quinn. Dimitroff doesn't have say in the 53. If Blank gives him an interview and wide control is what he wants, he would probably get it

Falconsfan567 likes this

11 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Very slim. He has interviewed for HC jobs in the past and has either never been offered the job or turned them down to stay with Payton in New Orleans. He seems pretty content in his role.

3 hours ago, SaintRay said:

Slim....

Blank gave Dan Quinn control over the final 53 man roster. So he has shown he is willing to give his HC plenty of leeway when it comes to roster construction. Blank is also capable of paying Carmichael anything he wants. I think if Carmichael wanted to be a HC and demanded X, Y, Z, Blank would give it to him because Blank wants to win that bad. The question is, is Carmichael on Blank's list of candidates?

I don't see the Falcons landing him. Honestly I don't have much hope of the Falcons landing any offensive coach. That would be a change from Blank's way of doing things.

16 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Blank gave Dan Quinn control over the final 53 man roster. So he has shown he is willing to give his HC plenty of leeway when it comes to roster construction. Blank is also capable of paying Carmichael anything he wants. I think if Carmichael wanted to be a HC and demanded X, Y, Z, Blank would give it to him because Blank wants to win that bad. The question is, is Carmichael on Blank's list of candidates?

I don't see the Falcons landing him. Honestly I don't have much hope of the Falcons landing any offensive coach. That would be a change from Blank's way of doing things.

Do you think Blanks business sense and feeling of beating his head against the wall with all Defensive HC's will make him change course? 

2 hours ago, Flyin' In DC said:

Do you think Blanks business sense and feeling of beating his head against the wall with all Defensive HC's will make him change course? 

I would absolutely hope that is the case. But we'll see.

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

Hated the thought of this when I first saw this thread...

I think he’s actually my top choice right now,  I’d like to see who he could bring with him for dc.

1 minute ago, JUST SOME GUY said:

Hated the thought of this when I first saw this thread...

I think he’s actually my top choice right now,  I’d like to see who he could bring with him for dc.

Greg Williams. :ninja:

Iron Saint likes this

4 minutes ago, NWFALCON said:

Hated him from his time with the saints (obviously) but with the soft *** defense we’ve had recently, I’d actually welcome that duo.

guess he’d be connected to rob Ryan as well?... in that scenario give me Gregg williams

16 minutes ago, JUST SOME GUY said:

Hated him from his time with the saints (obviously) but with the soft *** defense we’ve had recently, I’d actually welcome that duo.

guess he’d be connected to rob Ryan as well?... in that scenario give me Gregg williams

His defense has been getting its **** kicked in this year. No thanks.

Iron Saint likes this

5 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

His defense has been getting its **** kicked in this year. No thanks.

How much of that is a result of the Jets having one of the worst offenses in the NFL and therefore the defense being on the field all the time? Check out last game against the Patriots. Jets offense turned it over 6 times and the Patriots "only" scored 33 points. Normally if the Patriots get 6 turnovers they're scoring 50. Their defense actually hasn't been that bad really. They gave up 31 points against the Eagles and that again, was thanks to their offense turning it over 3 times. Give me Gregg Williams in a heartbeat. Dude is a **** good DC and has proven himself time and again and this year is no different despite what the raw numbers say. There's a reason he's been DC for 2 different Super Bowl teams (1 win, 1 loss) 10 years apart.

On 9/29/2019 at 10:04 PM, Falconsfan567 said:

I want an offensive guy!! Sick of hiring "defensive" guys and them not doing squat on that side of the ball. So focusing only on that side of the ball, here's the guy I've come up with. I've actually done the research on this.

Pete Carmichael - Offensive Coordinator - New Orleans Saints

Coaching Resume

• 1994 = Assistant Offensive Line = New Hampshire
  • 1995-1999 = Quarterbacks = Louisiana Tech
  • 2000 = Tight Ends = Cleveland Browns
  • 2001 = Quality Control = Washington Redskins
  • 2002-2005 = Offensive Assistant = San Diego Chargers
  • 2006-2007 = Quarterbacks = New Orleans Saints
  • 2008 = Quarterbacks/Passing Game Coordinator = New Orleans Saints
  • 2009-2019 = Offensive Coordinator = New Orleans Saints

Sean Payton gets all the credit for the Saints offensive success because he's been play caller for a lot of the time but Pete Carmichael plays a much larger role in the Saints offensive success than folks realize. Here's a snippet I've pulled from an article from a few years back talking about Carmichael calling plays and how successful he was doing it.

Carmichael would definitely get the most out of the offensive talent the Falcons have. Also the quick passing game would suit the Falcons offensive talent perfectly. Matt Ryan wouldn't be forced into an offense that doesn't suit his strong points like what we're attempting to do under Dirk Koetter. Also, you see the way he uses Alvin Kamara and well, I'm envious of what he could do with the current backs the Falcons have, and yes, that includes Devonta Freeman. Look at what he's doing with Teddy Bridgewater. He would also bring a killer mentality to the Falcons, something we desperately we need.

We need to jump on the next big time successful head coach and Carmichael would be the quickest way to turn the Falcons back into legit contenders. We wouldn't need a massive overhaul of the roster to jump to a winner. Yes sir, this is the man I want.

I AM COMPLETELY SOLD! 

IF his heart is in doing it for the Falcons, go get him. 

I've always said we need to learn how the Saints changed their culture. 

He's the mastermind behind Payton's success. But loyalties run deep, so tread with caution. 

Falconsfan567 likes this

I signed up when I saw this topic. I've been lurking for a couple seasons but this thread is gold. Carmichael is not leaving the organization we've built in New Orleans. He has job security, a great ownership, elite coaching staff around him, better talent on offense, etc. Being the HC in Atlanta subjects him to too much criticism and spotlight. And he wont have Payton, Brees, etc around him either. Yall should have promoted Shanahan. 

47 minutes ago, SaintBreesus said:

I signed up when I saw this topic. I've been lurking for a couple seasons but this thread is gold. Carmichael is not leaving the organization we've built in New Orleans. He has job security, a great ownership, elite coaching staff around him, better talent on offense, etc. Being the HC in Atlanta subjects him to too much criticism and spotlight. And he wont have Payton, Brees, etc around him either. Yall should have promoted Shanahan. 

Carmichael is great as an assistant coach, but he is not HC material. He does not have that commanding feel to him. Just listen to him in interviews. He’s a behind the scenes guy, not a leader type, which makes him excellent as a coordinator.

SaintBreesus likes this

While it’s highly unlikely Carmichael becomes the next Falcons head coach, and even more unlikely if y’all were to somehow win a Super Bowl with him, just know we’re showing up to Flowery Branch with a grinder and we’re taking our half of that Lombardi.

We’ll give y’all the option if you want it cut down the middle vertically or horizontally. B)

7 hours ago, NWFALCON said:

Oh dear God please. Payton would love nothing more than to kick Gregg Williams’ teeth in twice a year. Y’all talked about us running up the score on y’all before? Hire Gregg Williams as y’all HC and watch what happens. :lol:

SaintBreesus likes this

The Saints would never let him come here as a division rival and our history with Payton he would become the highest paid OC by a mile and probably get promoted to Asst.Head Coach

3 hours ago, Iron Saint said:

While it’s highly unlikely Carmichael becomes the next Falcons head coach, and even more unlikely if y’all were to somehow win a Super Bowl with him, just know we’re showing up to Flowery Branch with a grinder and we’re taking our half of that Lombardi.

We’ll give y’all the option if you want it cut down the middle vertically or horizontally. B)

Oh dear God please. Payton would love nothing more than to kick Gregg Williams’ teeth in twice a year. Y’all talked about us running up the score on y’all before? Hire Gregg Williams as y’all HC and watch what happens. :lol:

Horizontal. We take the ball. 

5 hours ago, CocoLoco said:

Carmichael is great as an assistant coach, but he is not HC material. He does not have that commanding feel to him. Just listen to him in interviews. He’s a behind the scenes guy, not a leader type, which makes him excellent as a coordinator.

This. There's a reason he's not a HC.

Iron Saint likes this

Carmichael and Payton are fiercely loyal to one another.

I have no idea if Carmichael would consider leaving the organization, however, the Saints offense has thrived during his decade plus run as Offensive Coordinator. He has a lot of rope to play with in Nola and he's a quiet leader. Players love him.

I'm not entirely sure his persona translates into all of the duties a Head Coach must handle.

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 11:26 PM, Falconsfan567 said:

I wouldn't give two ***** if we hired Satan himself and the Falcons won the Super Bowl.

Nah he wouldn't pass the filter.