Falconsfan567

Pete Carmichael

86 posts in this topic

I want an offensive guy!! Sick of hiring "defensive" guys and them not doing squat on that side of the ball. So focusing only on that side of the ball, here's the guy I've come up with. I've actually done the research on this.

Pete Carmichael - Offensive Coordinator - New Orleans Saints

Coaching Resume

• 1994 = Assistant Offensive Line = New Hampshire
  • 1995-1999 = Quarterbacks = Louisiana Tech
  • 2000 = Tight Ends = Cleveland Browns
  • 2001 = Quality Control = Washington Redskins
  • 2002-2005 = Offensive Assistant = San Diego Chargers
  • 2006-2007 = Quarterbacks = New Orleans Saints
  • 2008 = Quarterbacks/Passing Game Coordinator = New Orleans Saints
  • 2009-2019 = Offensive Coordinator = New Orleans Saints

Sean Payton gets all the credit for the Saints offensive success because he's been play caller for a lot of the time but Pete Carmichael plays a much larger role in the Saints offensive success than folks realize. Here's a snippet I've pulled from an article from a few years back talking about Carmichael calling plays and how successful he was doing it.

Despite his deference, many figure Carmichael isn’t too far behind Payton in play-calling. Carmichael assumed those duties for the first time in his career in 2011 after Payton suffered a broken leg on the sideline in a Week 6 loss at Tampa Bay; and he held onto them for the final 10 contests of the regular season, when the offense averaged a stunning 476.1 yards per game.

That helped the Saints set the NFL yardage record en route to an appearance in the divisional round of the playoffs.

The following season, Payton served a year-long suspension in the wake of the bounty scandal, and Carmichael dialed up the plays for an offense that gained the second-most yards and scored the third-most points in the league. Though the Saints missed the postseason because of a 7-9 mark and a defense that surrendered the most yards in league history, the NFL duly took note of Carmichael’s obvious talents in charge of the play card.

“If there’s another person other than Sean that has an entire grasp of every position, of every scheme, of every decision made either by the quarterback or another player out there, (it’s Carmichael),” Saints running backs coach Dan Roushar said.

“He’s definitely someone that can handle that,” Payton said. “We have someone who in his ninth year is very good at it.”

Link

Carmichael would definitely get the most out of the offensive talent the Falcons have. Also the quick passing game would suit the Falcons offensive talent perfectly. Matt Ryan wouldn't be forced into an offense that doesn't suit his strong points like what we're attempting to do under Dirk Koetter. Also, you see the way he uses Alvin Kamara and well, I'm envious of what he could do with the current backs the Falcons have, and yes, that includes Devonta Freeman. Look at what he's doing with Teddy Bridgewater. He would also bring a killer mentality to the Falcons, something we desperately we need.

We need to jump on the next big time successful head coach and Carmichael would be the quickest way to turn the Falcons back into legit contenders. We wouldn't need a massive overhaul of the roster to jump to a winner. Yes sir, this is the man I want.

Article from 2016 talking about Pete Carmichael being the playcaller for the Saints and the success he's having.

Saints offense flying high with low-key Pete Carmichael Jr. calling plays

METAIRIE, La. -- A few things you may not have noticed if you aren’t paying close attention to the New Orleans Saints this year:

Their offense looks as good as ever. They’re leading the NFL with 434.5 yards per game and a phenomenal third-down conversion rate of 53 percent. Their yards gained, points scored and Drew Brees' passing yardage, passer rating and touchdown pace all rank among the three best in the Brees-Sean Payton era.

The offensive coordinator’s name is Pete Carmichael Jr. You probably already knew that last one. But then again, maybe you didn’t.

Carmichael, who is calling the plays for the first time since 2012, is one of the NFL’s brilliant offensive minds, but he has always been content to operate in the shadows of Payton and Brees since they all arrived together in 2006.

Carmichael laughed Friday when asked if he’s upset with the media for not giving him enough credit or attention.

“I would say among the group here, there’s a lot of guys on our staff and a lot of players who deserve credit. This is a team thing,” Carmichael said. “And if you were to ask my wife, we’re probably more of the ‘stay at home and just kinda do our own thing’ a lot of times.”

Carmichael, 45, is indeed a low-key, behind-the-scenes type of guy.

But Brees revealed that the QBs call him “Sneaky Pete” -- because he has both a sharp football mind and a sharp sense of humor that belie his quiet personality.

“He’s an under-the-radar guy,” Brees said. “I’m not gonna call him quiet, because there’s so much he does behind the scenes. I think he’s a great coach and a great teacher. When he kind of has the floor, so to speak, and he’s doing the install or talking about a concept or working on the openers or he’s calling plays, he’s on it.

“And he’s one of those guys that has the respect of this whole locker room. I just can’t even begin to tell you the value that he provides.”

Carmichael was actually a baseball player in college, playing second base and outfield at Boston College. But then he followed in the footsteps of his father, Pete Carmichael Sr., a longtime NFL and college assistant, who passed away earlier this year.

Carmichael started his career with assistant gigs at New Hampshire and Louisiana Tech, then lower-level assistant jobs with the Cleveland Browns, Washington Redskins and San Diego Chargers (where he first worked with Brees in the early 2000s).

It’s hard to identify Carmichael’s individual philosophy since it has been such a collaborative effort for so long between him, Payton, Brees and the rest of the offensive staff.

“It’s just kind of something that’s been built over the years and continues to grow,” Carmichael said. “We’re always gonna have our emphasis, our base, but every year we’re studying, we’re researching, seeing what other teams are doing. And we’re not afraid to steal good ideas.”

Brees and Payton both credited Carmichael for his preparation and his ability to make quick decisions on the fly in games.

“I think he’s a quick thinker, and I think that’s a plus. He’s not stammering over decisions,” Payton said. “But the challenge is, he’s got a tough job (as a play-caller) because he’s wanting to please me. And I’m always on him about, ‘Hey, I’ll chime in with calls, but I don’t want you to feel like you’re trying to think about what I’d be thinking.’

“But it works. And there’s a good flow to it. … And part of that is we’ve been together so long.”

Carmichael also called plays for the Saints for most of their record-setting 2011 season, after Payton suffered a leg injury on the sideline, and throughout the 2012 season when Payton was serving his bounty suspension.

The Saints set the NFL record for yards gained in 2011 and finished 13-3. But they went 7-9 in 2012, and Payton opted to call plays again when he came back in 2013.

Payton said the operation isn’t that much different now than when Payton called plays since they spend the whole week collaborating on the game plan along with the rest of the offensive coaching staff.

“(In the past), you’re running a play and you might say, ‘Pete, give me a thought here when we get into the red zone.’ And (now) it just might flip around,” Payton said.

Perhaps Carmichael’s low-key persona is part of the reason why he has only had a handful of head-coaching opportunities so far -- most recently an interview with the Chicago Bears in 2013. He was also under consideration for head-coaching gigs with the Indianapolis Colts and Oakland Raiders in the past.

But Carmichael also hasn’t spent much time seeking the next steppingstone. He twice turned down chances to become offensive coordinator of the Miami Dolphins earlier in his career and reportedly turned down OC interview opportunities with the Jacksonville Jaguars and Philadelphia Eagles in 2013.

“He’s outstanding,” Payton said. “The preparation, the organization that goes into what we’re doing, the amount of time during the week and the constant thought as to trying to get our players in the best position. He communicates well on game days. He’s quick.

“And look, I’m biased because he’s been here this long. But he’s one of those under-the-radar guys, and yet extremely talented.”

Link

I'd imagine Carmichael's deal could be very much like the Josh McDaniels situation... where they are the in-house heir apparent to the current HCs of their respective teams.

Could totally see Carmichael pulling one over on us on purpose (and w/ the blessing of Payton) by agreeing to become the next HC of the Falcons & then backing out at the last second like McDaniels did to the Colts, so that we are left without a HC and are scrambling to find someone after all the other guys we've interviewed have already gotten jobs elsewhere & the combine/draft is fast approaching.

Never trust a Saint.

2 minutes ago, k-train said:

I'd imagine Carmichael's deal could be very much like the Josh McDaniels situation... where they are the in-house heir apparent to the current HCs of their respective teams.

Could totally see Carmichael pulling one over on us on purpose (and w/ the blessing of Payton) by agreeing to become the next HC of the Falcons & then backing out at the last second like McDaniels did to the Colts, so that we are left without a HC and are scrambling to find someone after all the other guys we've interviewed have already gotten jobs elsewhere & the combine/draft is fast approaching.

Never trust a Saint.

Payton is 55, you think a coach is going to wait 10+ years to become a HC?

Vandy and Born Again Georgian like this

17 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I want an offensive guy!! Sick of hiring "defensive" guys and them not doing squat on that side of the ball. So focusing only on that side of the ball, here's the guy I've come up with. I've actually done the research on this.

Pete Carmichael - Offensive Coordinator - New Orleans Saints

Coaching Resume

• 1994 = Assistant Offensive Line = New Hampshire
  • 1995-1999 = Quarterbacks = Louisiana Tech
  • 2000 = Tight Ends = Cleveland Browns
  • 2001 = Quality Control = Washington Redskins
  • 2002-2005 = Offensive Assistant = San Diego Chargers
  • 2006-2007 = Quarterbacks = New Orleans Saints
  • 2008 = Quarterbacks/Passing Game Coordinator = New Orleans Saints
  • 2009-2019 = Offensive Coordinator = New Orleans Saints

Sean Payton gets all the credit for the Saints offensive success because he's been play caller for a lot of the time but Pete Carmichael plays a much larger role in the Saints offensive success than folks realize. Here's a snippet I've pulled from an article from a few years back talking about Carmichael calling plays and how successful he was doing it.

Carmichael would definitely get the most out of the offensive talent the Falcons have. Also the quick passing game would suit the Falcons offensive talent perfectly. Matt Ryan wouldn't be forced into an offense that doesn't suit his strong points like what we're attempting to do under Dirk Koetter. Also, you see the way he uses Alvin Kamara and well, I'm envious of what he could do with the current backs the Falcons have, and yes, that includes Devonta Freeman. Look at what he's doing with Teddy Bridgewater. He would also bring a killer mentality to the Falcons, something we desperately we need.

We need to jump on the next big time successful head coach and Carmichael would be the quickest way to turn the Falcons back into legit contenders. We wouldn't need a massive overhaul of the roster to jump to a winner. Yes sir, this is the man I want.

Carmichael should have been given a shot long before now.  I’m always shocked his name constantly gets passed over.  

5 minutes ago, k-train said:

Never trust a Saint.

Carmichael is only 47 or 48, he's not waiting forever.

The other part of your post is pure silliness.

Just now, k-train said:

Well, he hasn't gone anywhere after 9, so....

But he's interviewed for jobs. Bears and Colts both interviewed him a few years ago for HC jobs. He'll leave.

1 minute ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Carmichael is only 47 or 48, he's not waiting forever.

The other part of your post is pure silliness.

But he's interviewed for jobs. Bears and Colts both interviewed him a few years ago for HC jobs. He'll leave.

You are making my point for me.

If he's such hot ****, why hasn't he been offered & agreed to take one of these HC jobs he's interviewed for?

It's one of two things...
A. He's not actually that great of a HC candidate
B. The Saints are buttering his bread extra heavy to keep him from leaving (ala McDaniels in New England)

Iron Saint likes this

2 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

I’d puke my brains out if we got a coach from the Saints to win us a super bowl.  

We wouldn’t hear the end of it. 

Lol who cares. I would think it would infuriate them more if we poached a Coach from them that turned out to be a star. 

Wardog357 and Falconsfan567 like this

1 minute ago, k-train said:

You are making my point for me.

If he's such hot ****, why hasn't he been offered & agreed to take one of these HC jobs he's interviewed for?

It's one of two things...
A. He's not actually that great of a HC candidate
B. The Saints are buttering his bread extra heavy to keep him from leaving (ala McDaniels in New England)

LOL. Ok then. You've got it all figured out. Hope that tinfoil hat isn't too big for you.

4 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

@PeytonMannings Forehead Can you help a brother out and post some good stuff detailing how good of a play caller Pete Carmichael is?

The year Payton had to sit down and Carmichael called the plays I thought he was legit.

And he’s been working behind the scenes as their passing game coordinator forever. Sean gets all the credit but he’s not the only one in that building drawing up all those plays over the past decade.

2 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

The year Payton had to sit down and Carmichael called the plays I thought he was legit.

And he’s been working behind the scenes as their passing game coordinator forever. Sean gets all the credit but he’s not the only one in that building drawing up all those plays over the past decade.

Exactly!! In an argument right now with some idiot on Twitter talking about how amazing Mike Tomlin is and how Pete Carmichael is only riding Sean Payton's coattails and is another Dan Quinn.

10 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

We definitely need an offensive guy, who calls his own plays. We can't keep chopping and changing OC's every couple of years. 

Exactly. We haven't come close to having any consistency on that side of the ball because we never go more than 3 years with the same offense in place.

GhostofGritz likes this

Just to be Debbie Downer, just because a dude is a good playcaller doesn't mean he'll be a good head coach.

This one might be, sure.  Sean Payton wasn't a good head coach until someone hired him.  But he might not be.  For every Sean McVay or Sean Payton is a Todd Bowles, Steve Mariucci, Marty Schottenheimer, Mike Mularkey, Dirk Koetter ............... or Dan Quinn.