Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FalconsIn2012

Sports Illustrated: Quinn Ready To Show Off Coaches

35 posts in this topic

Just read this and laughed.  How quickly things and opinions change

In Atlanta, Dan Quinn Is Ready to Show Off the Falcons’ Coaching Overhaul

July 22, 2019

It was a simple, subtle sign that affirmed Dan Quinn’s offseason decision to overhaul his coaching staff back in January and reset the Falcons ahead of his fifth year at helm. Quinn saw it in game-management meetings, and it brought energy to what would seem to be pretty mundane, it’s-only-spring tasks for the head coach.

And it was written all over the faces of his assistants.

“I’ll say something, and I see Dirk [Koetter] or Mike [Mularkey] or Raheem [Morris] look down and smile,” Quinn says Sunday, just before his players were to report at 1 p.m. ET. “I know they’re reflecting, and they’ll nod their head, like, ‘Yes.’ Those are the moments I know not only do they understand it, but behind the scenes, they’re going to help me share that message with the staff. Those are the things, I know when I hit something and I see the head nod, it’s, ‘I know exactly what you’re saying.’”

Atlanta’s loss to New England in Super Bowl LI is now more than two years behind the team. Since then, the Falcons knocked on the door again in 2017, then didn’t in ’18, spurring Quinn to flip two coordinator spots and take the reins as defensive play-caller, replacing a third fired coach himself.

If you think all those terminations were a shifting of responsibility, or a passing of the buck, in the wake of an injury-marred, 7–9 season, the above moments that Quinn describes—those head nods and smiles—illustrate the rest of the story. Quinn knows that he doesn’t have all the answers. Turning his staff over is representative of that.

He’s also not hiding the specific reasons for making these changes.

“We lost in the divisional round to Philadelphia [in 2017], and that hurt because we had a chance to win it at the end of the game, to go to NFC championship again,” he said. “And when you didn’t get it done, you feel disappointed. For that two-year block [2016-17], one included, offensively, Kyle [Shanahan], and one didn’t. I was impressed by the team, the resiliency to keep going. And so, I fully expected us to reset from that and go battle for it again. 

“I felt like last year, some things that happened for us, not playing to the standard that we’d set for ourselves, in some instances, a reset was needed. Had I not thought that, I wouldn’t have made the changes, because I think [ex-OC Steve Sarkisian is] a fantastic coach, and certainly [ex-DC] Marquand [Manuel], I love him, I worked with him for so long, and same with Keith Armstrong. So those three leadership spots had people I respect, I know, and were good coaches. But sometimes change is needed.”

The Falcons now carry, by Quinn’s count, 400 years of combined coaching experience on the payroll. Koetter, Mularkey and Morris, a holdover from the old staff, have all been NFL head coaches. New senior assistant Bob Sutton was a head coach at Army in the ’90s, and has worked in the NFL in the 19 years since. Greg Knapp, now in his second year back as quarterbacks coach, has coached more than two decades in the NFL, and played in it, too.

Going into the offseason, Quinn couldn’t wait to tap into all of that experience—and he has. In those game-management meetings, they’d watch tape of Koetter in Tampa, of Mularkey in Tennessee, of others in the room as play-callers. They’d trash-talk each other. They’d poke at one another. Most of all, they’d learn, which brought Quinn to a level of vulnerability you don’t always see in NFL head coaches.

“All of them have perspective that I appreciated,” Quinn said. “For me, I asked the question, ‘What does support from me look like for them? How can I help support them?’ And they were just the opposite—‘No, no, no, Q, my job is to support you.’ And that’s exactly what you want to hear, sitting on the other side of the table as the head coach. That’s the whole thing—how can we do it better? And if we can, let’s go for it hard as **** and see where it takes us. Having their influence and experience, that helps a ton, man.

“People who can give and receive feedback, that’s a big thing, especially among peers. It’s one thing for me to give you feedback, and you take it or not. You being able to give it back to me, that’s a big thing. Not everybody wants to do that back to the head coach. I wanted them to know, I really need it.”

And it’s one reason why the eternally-optimistic Quinn can’t wait to take the field on Monday

SoldMySoul and PokerSteve like this

2 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Flaming by posting old content. I am sure there were some who got banned for the same reason.

It’s called a retrospective thread, designed to show how quickly things change.  But sure, ban me.

SoldMySoul and sdogg like this

Just now, FalconsIn2020 said:

It’s called a retrospective thread, designed to show how quickly things change.  But sure, ban me.

I didn’t report or anything. Just saying folks were banned for same.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

4 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Just reading through that and his reasoning for having all those former head coaches around, sounds like a man lacking confidence that he really knew how to turn it around.

I was commenting on that last week.  Quinn looks like a man whose lost his mojo, marbles or confidence.  

The man knows defense.  But you would never know it watching the last two weeks.

11 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

I will miss you changing pics of your lady friend. You shouldn’t be banned though!!

FalconsIn2012 likes this

2 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

I was commenting on that last week.  Quinn looks like a man whose lost his mojo, marbles or confidence.  

The man knows defense.  But you would never know it watching the last two weeks.

Naw, he rode Bradley's coattail and now he has to show his cards.  Well, he's playing cards faced forward....

screaming-guy-playing-cards-young-hispan

12 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Really reminds me of the coach on the Mud Dogs. Who is going to be our Bobby Bouche to inspire the players and respark the once creative head coach. 

NeonDeion likes this

21 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Overthinking it.

As for bringing in all the Ex HCs didn’t they do the same in the FO surrounding TD with exactly the same.

Is DQ getting exposed as just being a good coach and his man management and not being able to extract the best out of his players being exposed.

Tipping point is near.

FalconsIn2012 and blkbigdog35 like this

5 minutes ago, Zzzzz said:

Oh brother.Bucs have scored 45 against the Rams. Perhaps Jameis wasn't the problem in Tampa.^_^

As things look now, it wouldn't be absurd if the Falcons get swept  and go zero for six within the division. And that's with two substitute QB's and a rejuvenated Crablegs leading the pack. Time to circle the wagons and get serious or we gonna be looking like girls in a man's football league.

Flying Falcon likes this

When the Falcons hired Quinn he was the hot DC who had just ran the best defense in the NFL since the 85-86 Bears.

He hired Shanahan because he saw Kyle as the hot young OC out there. He was correct.

When his job was on the line he goes out and hires a bunch of NFL retreads who had the league pass them by with the hopes that they will stabilize things. He was wrong. 

The thing is since Shanahan left Quinn has been looking at guys like Bevell or Knapp or whatever guy who has been passed up by the hot young OCs from the Shanahan tree. 

Not sure the reasoning but for the most part Quinn has been playing it safe. The NFL is built on coaches who played it safe. A lot of them are also out of jobs.

PokerSteve and The Don™ like this