Unknøwn

MLB Playoffs

521 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

If MLB is dead set on keeping the division series as a best of 5 then I believe that it would be more fair if they went to a 2-3 format. Road teams are 20-11 in winner take all games in the division series format and I believe one of the reasons for that is the 2-2-1 format.

Getting that off day certainly helps, always felt like it took away some of the advantage. 

Falconsfan567 likes this

14 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Getting that off day certainly helps, always felt like it took away some of the advantage. 

Back in 1995 they used a 2-3 format because they had a condensed schedule because the season didn't start until the end of April because of the strike, and you're right, that extra day off does help the lower seeded team more. There's just not a big enough advantage to being the higher seed in the division series.

1 minute ago, Unknøwn said:

The format was 2-3 at one time. They changed it to give each team the opportunity to potentially clinch at home.

It was only a 2-3 format in 1995 because of the condensed schedule and the strike. 1996 and forward it's been 2-2-1.

4 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

It was only a 2-3 format in 1995 because of the condensed schedule and the strike. 1996 and forward it's been 2-2-1.

They tried a 2-3 format in 2012 with the new format of 2 WC's. If I remember right there were some complaints from the higher seed having to play on the road twice to start.

45 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

They tried a 2-3 format in 2012 with the new format of 2 WC's. If I remember right there were some complaints from the higher seed having to play on the road twice to start.

Yes, again, that was because the schedule was condensed and they had to do it because they had limited days off to work with.

3 hours ago, VoiceofReason95 said:

I'm very far from sold that the Braves would've made them uncomfortable and deviate from their strategy since they weren't right on offense), they're the better team in this scenario. With that bad bullpen diminished, the Nationals SP sticks out and because of it, they're better.

The Nationals are the better team if you believe in small sample sizes like playoff performance. The Braves are the better team if you believe in large sample sizes like 18 games against one another or the other 144 games.

I have no idea why you think a bad bullpen doesn't matter as much in the playoffs, so I can't even argue that point either way. 

1 minute ago, jidady said:

The Nationals are the better team if you believe in small sample sizes like playoff performance. The Braves are the better team if you believe in large sample sizes like 18 games against one another or the other 144 games.

I have no idea why you think a bad bullpen doesn't matter as much in the playoffs, so I can't even argue that point either way. 

The bad bullpen hasn't mattered in the Nationals case yet, unless you have a team that is willing to work the **** out of their pitchers at the plate to get them out and their plan was helped with off days (which is what spawned the discussion above). We did at times, but the key is, you were talking about when we were right, and we CLEARLY weren't in the final weeks, which is the whole reason why I keep saying that we likely would've been HIGHLY disappointed by playing the Nationals in a playoff series. Familiarity was NOT going to matter in this case.

The Dodgers let 4 starting pitchers and basically 3 relievers beat them in a playoff series (outside of the dumb Kershaw stuff) and they were an even better work the count team than the Braves. The Braves were very spotty at it. Sometimes they'd have pitchers out in 5 even with good results, sometimes the pitcher would have 40+ pitches in 2 innings and you'd look up and they'd have gone 6-7, and sometimes we'd fail to work the pitcher at all, and he'd have gone 7-8 with ease. That is why it's a much, much bigger question than people want to think. 

Look, the Nationals are not going to win the World Series, because the AL teams will do better at making the SP work hard and actually get to SEE those bad relievers. But the Braves needed a healthy Freddie and veterans that were actually right to be able to make them uncomfortable at playing the type of game they've played in most of the playoff games so far. And that was not the case. Freddie was far from right, and Nick was swinging a toothpick outside of his good return.

And that's why the NLDS choke also had major shades of the 2010 Braves. You did not see the best version of the Braves in the playoffs, no way, no how even if the Braves actually took a series. If you had even average Freddie, you probably win in 4 against St Louis anyway, although it definitely was not the most ideal matchup. Shoot, if Chris Martin doesn't get injured in warmups, you might sweep (and THEN we'd have gotten to see the stuff that I was worried about, and I'm not so negative to think that we probably wouldn't still be playing, but based off what I saw unless we were right enough to work the count, we'd be getting pushed majorly MINIMUM by Washington).

Yankees reported Houston for using whistles to steal signs. They thought Houston used whistling to give signs to players on the field. MLB investigated and found no violations.

6 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Yankees reported Houston for using whistles to steal signs. They thought Houston used whistling to give signs to players on the field. MLB investigated and found no violations.

Give what kind of signs to players on the field? I could see it working if they were giving signs to the batter but what would they be telling the fielders?

30 minutes ago, LouDog said:

Give what kind of signs to players on the field? I could see it working if they were giving signs to the batter but what would they be telling the fielders?

Whistling to the hitters was the accusation. Yankees thought Houston was stealing the catchers signs.

LouDog likes this

21 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Whistling to the hitters was the accusation. Yankees thought Houston was stealing the catchers signs.

Oh ok. I thought they meant they were giving signals to the fielders. That makes sense

Greinke has been shaky this postseason. I didnt realize how bad hes been in October. Career 4.58 in playoff games. He had a good run with LA but he was terrible as a Brewer, Dback and so far as an Astro.

16 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Greinke has been shaky this postseason. I didnt realize how bad hes been in October. Career 4.58 in playoff games. He had a good run with LA but he was terrible as a Brewer, Dback and so far as an Astro.

Not doing bad tonight

I was just running the numbers on this and realized that Houston has six different players who have averaged 4.1 WAR or more during their careers. Gerrit Cole isn't one of them.

Right now, this team has three players who seem like strong bets to mortal locks to make the Hall of Fame in Verlander, Greinke, and Altuve. Then, they have Correa, Bregman, and Springer, all of whom are pacing for Hall of Fame WAR totals. In fact, Bregman's two more great years away from becoming a likely Hall of Famer. And Houston has Gerrit Cole, too.

This is a historically gifted baseball team.

Falconsfan567 likes this

14 hours ago, jidady said:

I was just running the numbers on this and realized that Houston has six different players who have averaged 4.1 WAR or more during their careers. Gerrit Cole isn't one of them.

Right now, this team has three players who seem like strong bets to mortal locks to make the Hall of Fame in Verlander, Greinke, and Altuve. Then, they have Correa, Bregman, and Springer, all of whom are pacing for Hall of Fame WAR totals. In fact, Bregman's two more great years away from becoming a likely Hall of Famers. And Houston has Gerrit Cole, too.

This is a historically gifted baseball team.

What the Astros have built is amazing. They hit on all their high draft picks and managed to keep the right ones and trade away the right ones to get guys like Verlander and Cole to put them over the top.

4 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

What the Astros have built is amazing. They hit on all their high draft picks and managed to keep the right ones and trade away the right ones to get guys like Verlander and Cole to put them over the top.

Luhnow is a wizard

WTF? This is game 6 of the ALCS and each team went with an "opener" tonight? WTF? I hate this "opener" crap and the way pitchers are handled these days!! I'll never agree with it!!

42 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

WTF? This is game 6 of the ALCS and each team went with an "opener" tonight? WTF? I hate this "opener" crap and the way pitchers are handled these days!! I'll never agree with it!!

Might end the Yankees season too.

4 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Might end the Yankees season too.

It was an opener for the Yankees and a bullpen game for the Astros. Incredible.

1 minute ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Oh my!! Homerun Yankees!! Game is tied at 4. Astros were 2 outs away from the World Series.

That homerun is the perfect example of it being a game of inches.......man that was close

jidady likes this