KRUNKuno

Let’s talk about our coordinators

23 posts in this topic

I would love for a message board guru to tell me about what I’m missing that makes these coordinators viable options?

Offensive coordinator relies on route concepts rather than scheme.  As I’ve mentioned a million times but somehow I’m “just not seeing it” are the influx of long developing pass plays (which we saw the first time we had this coordinator), a penchant for not utilizing the run game (which we saw the first time we had this coordinator), heavily covered receivers (which we saw the first time we had this coordinator), and an overall lack of innovation.  In fact, innovation in this coordinators eyes goes as far as a WR screen.

The playcalling is predictable in that the formations and personnel on the field give away what we’re going to do.  This game alone has shown us plays with no outlet receivers, 4th down plays without Julio Jones on the field, a pass heavy gameplan even when Ito Smith found success early.  What are the highlights of this scheme?  Please feel free to comment.

Defensive coordinator has had 5 years to put a defense together and has given us a fluke year where a guy had 16 sacks and can’t sniff the quarterback since.  There’s a heavy emphasis on zone coverage, yet the entire defense as a whole consistently is out of place, takes bad angles, and looks lost overall.  On 3rd and 15 we play 20 yards off the ball.  Against average quarterbacks we play 10 yards off the ball.  However, more importantly, we allow no name players to become superstars.  Many will say that the players have to make plays, but it is the coordinator who went out and got these players to complete his scheme.

There is a severe lack of cohesion with this team offensively and defensively.  Nobody looks like they truly understand what their roles are.

I’ll hang up and listen...

I have no argument for any of these points. You are correct across the board. Throw on top that we brought back Greg Knapp, another failed OC that we got rid of once. We had a lot of wins under all of these guys, but epic collapses, and many games that were barely won, always had to squeak them out which ultimately leads to a team on the verge of collapse. 

Falcon fan 4 ever likes this

24 minutes ago, jonnyblooz said:

I have no argument for any of these points. You are correct across the board. Throw on top that we brought back Greg Knapp, another failed OC that we got rid of once. We had a lot of wins under all of these guys, but epic collapses, and many games that were barely won, always had to squeak them out which ultimately leads to a team on the verge of collapse. 

There’s no identity anywhere.  

2 minutes ago, Phillup11 said:

I'm not saying bring back Sark, but at least he stayed true to the scheme and what worked best for the offense.  I felt if we didn't hire Kubiak, we should have kept Sark.  

Could've hired Kubiak, kept Dark, and added another former coordinator to the crowded room Quinn has already assembled. 

Then they can all fight for who would be the temporary HC.

We need to go back to classic coaching and gm.. Let's start over with new front office opinions... Trade Matt for two first, let Sanu walk, upgrade rbs and center position time to get younger.. defensively only keep the Grady and those under rookie contracts let everyone else walk or trade.. it's time for new leadership across the board

Chitown2ATL_Falcon likes this

Just now, Ovie_Lover said:

Again... it's almost like asking Koetter to try and blend his scheme with Shanny's scheme and Mularkeys scheme is a bad idea.

This is not a blend of schemes.  This is vintage Dirk Koetter.  

Mularkey is run to set up the pass.

Boy Wonder is stretch run to set up the pass.

Koetter is throw and maybe run 15 times a game.

Butudontseeme™ likes this

Just now, KRUNKuno said:

This is not a blend of schemes.  This is vintage Dirk Koetter.  

Mularkey is run to set up the pass.

Boy Wonder is stretch run to set up the pass.

Koetter is throw and maybe run 15 times a game.

Ok man

4 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Ok man

I would love to see where any semblance of Boy Wonder is in this playbook.  Please enlighten.  I’m totally serious.  

Just now, KRUNKuno said:

I would love to see where any semblance of Boy Wonder is in this playbook.  Please enlighten.  I’m totally serious.  

I'm not wasting my time man. You're just gonna argue because it didnt work its Koetter.

Just now, Ovie_Lover said:

I'm not wasting my time man. You're just gonna argue because it didnt work its Koetter.

Im not arguing anything.  I would genuinely love to know where the other influences lie because I don’t see it. 

4 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

I’m wondering this as well. Posters claim it’s a blend because that’s what the staff said but I see no evidence of it on the field. For the record I liked the DK hire initially but what he’s doing now is delivering straight trash

1 minute ago, shockerfalcon said:

I’m wondering this as well. Posters claim it’s a blend because that’s what the staff said but I see no evidence of it on the field. For the record I liked the DK hire initially but what he’s doing now is delivering straight trash

These guys don't realize yet that the coaching staff be talking out of there ***. What they said about what they're going to do with the offense didn't make a lick of sense.

I've hated Koetter for a while. I love Quinn, but he's a Wade Phillips type to me - can't be "the guy" at HC. We're going to be upset when he goes somewhere else after this season and does well, but this team is lost right now. Prove it if you mean it, the talk is pointless.

Jerz #Quinning likes this

13 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

Shanny wasn't good because of his plays. His playbook isn't why he is who he is. He was good because of the playcalls. Because of the execution, the setups, the long game. Just look at SF. He knows how to attack a defense and confuse them.

3 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Shanny wasn't good because of his plays. His playbook isn't why he is who he is. He was good because of the playcalls. Because of the execution, the setups, the long game. Just look at SF. He knows how to attack a defense and confuse them.

I feel like to two go hand-in-hand, but aside from that the guy had great plays.  People would be open everywhere.

22 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

He can’t.  There was a sweet naked bootleg though 

KRUNKuno likes this

16 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

He can’t.  There was a sweet naked bootleg though 

Right.  That was a staple of that offense set up by the run.  

I know we haven’t run many, if not any, of those.